PDA

View Full Version : Broadway anyone???

Darth Denkay
01-23-2010, 03:03 PM
Not sure if too many of you are out there, but wondering if there are any Broadway/musical/live theater fans out there. I love all of the above - see a lot of productions at our local community theaters and sometimes catch shows at the professional theater.

My current favorite is Wicked - I saw it 4 or 5 months ago and I still listen to the soundtrack none-stop. It's going to be in a city in a couple months about 5 hours from me - I'm seriously considering making the trip to see it again.

So, any other fans of the stage?

Diva
01-23-2010, 03:08 PM
WW......I adore it.
I believe I cut my musical teeth on musicals....beginning in college....(translation: a long time ago)

I've seen 'em....I've been in 'em....long live The Musical!!!!

:cheer:

EXCELLENT thread topic! Thank You!

Arwen
01-23-2010, 05:33 PM
Great idea for a thread. I am mad, mad, MAD for live theater. I love it in all its glory and incarnations. I've been lucky enough to see Broadway shows (on Broadway) as well as numerous local/traveling theater.

Most recent show I saw was courtesy of that Goofy Bastard. Chaz Palmineiri was doing a one-man production of his "A Bronx Tale." Goof put the word out to Austin, but he and I were the only ones who went. He bought me a ticket out of the kindness of his heart since I'd just moved to Austin.

That show rocked. I'd never seen the movie so had no preconceptions.

I've seen some of the "big" musicals on stage and so far think Lion King is the best of those. I saw Phantom of the Opera a day before I saw the Lion King. It paled in contrast to the staging and presentation.

I've also been in several theater productions (no musicals, you can all rest easy) both on the boards and behind the scenes including manning a spotlight. I actually enjoy the backstage stuff as much as I do being on stage. The camaraderie built doing a play is amazing.

The Color Purple was just in Austin (or still is maybe) and I didn't go. I'm really regretting that. My co-workers are still raving about it.

BestButchBoy
01-23-2010, 05:38 PM
Huge theatre fan! Every time I go to see a production, I think, "what a way to make a living..."

I am going to see Hair next month and I am going to see The Addams Family. One of the many, many pleasure on living in NY!

Break a leg!

Beau
01-24-2010, 04:41 PM
"The play's the thing."

:)

cerys
01-24-2010, 05:44 PM
I did musical theater in high school and college. I was in Grease, Bye-Bye Birdie, Lil' Abner, and Little Shop of Horrors.

The only musical that I've ever seen on Broadway was Rent. It is still my favorite. I've seen it both on broadway and the broadway cast on tour. An ex of mine was a theater electrician and so got comp seats to every show so I got to see the few that I was interested in (I also love Evita) that were on at the theater she worked at.

A friend once took me to see Godspell as well.

I still want to see Phantom, Wicked, and Spring Awakening. We'll see how that goes...

Darth Denkay
01-24-2010, 05:50 PM
Yay, I'm glad there are folks who dig this thread!!!

Jack - when I was reading your post I was so afraid I was going to get to the end and it would be a bad experience - so glad that Medusa loved it. What about you? Was it just for her or did you like it?

It's maybe a little odd, but I almost never get emotional watching tv or movies. Animals dying will do it but in these areas I'm not a cryer. Musicals - a totally different story. I teared up several times during Wicked. I've seen Phantom several times and among other times at the beginning when the chandelier rises up I get all teary. I would say that at some point in most of the musicals I have seen I got teary at least once.

I've been really fortunate to have seen two shows on Broadway: Phantom and Les Mis - both absolutely incredible. BestButchBoy - I have no interest in living in New York...except it would be amazing to be able to hit Broadway on a regular basis.

Arwen - I haven't seen Lion King, but if it comes around I will definitely see it. Actually, I take that back - I did see it at a local community theater and really enjoyed it.

Let's see, others that I have really enjoyed - and yeah, they're probably all the really well-known ones. Ms. Saigon, Hair, Aspects of Love, Rent. I'd see all of these again. I've seen Cats, and enjoyed it, but don't think I go again. Saw She Loves me - I think I enjoyed it, but obviously it didn't make enough of an impression on me to see it again. One musical that I saw and did not care for at all was Titanic. The music never grabbed me. The storyline focused on three different groups of people - first class, third class, and the crew, but not on individual folks. So when the boat sank (which was actually done really well) I didn't care as much as when I've 'bonded' with particular characters. Not that I didn't care, but it certainly didn't have the same impact. Those are the shows that come to mind right now - no wait, I've seen Cabaret and Rocky Horror at the local theater and really enjoyed both of them.

Diva - would love to see you on stage - what are some of the shows you've done?

Really enjoying this discussion - thanks ya'll!

Diva
01-24-2010, 06:28 PM
In college....I was in Camelot (chorus), Fiddler on the Roof (Fruma Sarah), Once Upon A Mattress (chorus again)....it was good stuff to get under my belt.

Then later, I had the good fortune to be associated with Houston Grand Opera and had bit parts in Candide & A Quiet Place (where I got to work with Leonard Bernstein), and Sweeney Todd (where I got to work with Stephen Sondheim), along with 2 seasons of operas.

In the early 90's, I worked as a resident member of The Granbury Opera House outside of Ft. Worth....the director was the late Joann Miller (who used to sing with the Tommy Dorsey Band) and she was a total bitch....but I probably learned more from her about the theatre than anyone and she actually trained me to take over the roles she had done in the company. It was a rush. With GOH, I got to perform Queen Aggravain in Once Upon A Mattress and Domina in A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum....I was with them for 2 seasons as well.

With Deep Elum Opera (Dallas) and Abilene Opera Assoc. I got to sing Katisha in Mikado, and with Turtle Creek Chorale, I sang the role of Billi Jo Casta (Rodeo Queen) in PDQ Bach's Oedipus Tex. (What a TOTAL hoot!)

I've been very fortunate to have performed some really great roles. It was great fun!

Thanks for asking!

DapperButch
01-24-2010, 08:45 PM
I have tickets to see A Chorus Line in early March. :-)

I would really like to see Wicked.

Diva
01-24-2010, 09:35 PM
A Chorus Line is great!
I have yet to see Wicked.....I'm antsy to see it, for sure!

I've seen Chicago, Phantom, Les Miserables, Sound of Music, Lion King, Rent, Oklahoma, Fiddler On The Roof....my goodness....there are more.....but I can't remember them all! Most on Broadway....which is ~ imho ~ the way to see them.....there's just something electric about Broadway.

hpychick
01-24-2010, 09:45 PM
Yay!!! I love this thread! I love the theater, musicals and drama.

I went to see CATS for the first time in 1992 and was totally hooked! I waltzed down to the city theatre and auditioned. My first time auditioning and got a speaking part as Mrs. Brown in Me and My Girl. My second musical, I worked stage and props on Lend me a Tenor, and my third, I was cast as Doasty Mae in Best Little Whorehouse in Texas.

I've seen Phantom, Cats (going again for my 3rd time next weekend), Dave, the Caveman, Les Miserables, West Side Story, Cinderella - I could go on and on!

Thanks Kayden for posting this thread!

HeartBreak Kid
01-24-2010, 09:48 PM
A Chorus Line is great!
I have yet to see Wicked.....I'm antsy to see it, for sure!

I've seen Chicago, Phantom, Les Miserables, Sound of Music, Lion King, Rent, Oklahoma, Fiddler On The Roof....my goodness....there are more.....but I can't remember them all! Most on Broadway....which is ~ imho ~ the way to see them.....there's just something electric about Broadway.

Yes! TY! *kisses Diva's cheeks* Me too,.... I grew up going to on and off Brodway shows.....and while u get some great lesser known plays off broadway, If u get the chance take in a "Broadway" show....Last time I was in New York I was going to see Wicked.....however I was ummm.... distracted.....:backdoorsex:....
Has anyone seen the Lion king?
how about
Aida? ~ Beautiful

Peace and Love :praying:

Blaze
01-24-2010, 09:53 PM
Doll and I went to Phantom of the Opera, and the best that we have seen so far,
would be. Love Janis... Awesome!

Diva
01-24-2010, 10:24 PM
Yes! TY! *kisses Diva's cheeks* Me too,.... I grew up going to on and off Brodway shows.....and while u get some great lesser known plays off broadway, If u get the chance take in a "Broadway" show....Last time I was in New York I was going to see Wicked.....however I was ummm.... distracted.....:backdoorsex:....
Has anyone seen the Lion king?
how about
Aida? ~ Beautiful

Peace and Love :praying:

DUH! How could I forget Aida!?!?!?!?! STUNNING!!!! And I got to see Lion King on Broadway, too....the set is amazing!

I may or may not have cried over the beauty of it!

HeartBreak Kid
01-24-2010, 10:58 PM
I actually wish there were more ppl in my area that enjoyed shows (i actually typed shoes first......hmmm apparently I need some shopping buddies too).....
:kissy:

I have a question.......
What was the first on or off *professional Show (*as oposed to "amature")
What was the most Memorable Show you have ever seen?
what/where is ur favorite theater to "haunt"

Ok so maybe it was 3 questions.......sue me :hamactor:

Peace and love :praying:

Diva
01-25-2010, 04:50 AM
Dapper called me a Broadway snob.
I am NOT a gay man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Jus' sayin'.....:quickdraw:

DapperButch
01-25-2010, 06:32 AM
Dapper called me a Broadway snob.
I am NOT a gay man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Jus' sayin'.....:quickdraw:

hee hee...

NJFemmie
01-25-2010, 07:26 AM
Our niece went to see Wicked yesterday in Philly ... tomorrow we'll find out how it was. I've been thinking of taking Mare to go see it - but I'm debating whether to go in Philly or NYC. (Not looking forward to the commute up to NYC though ...) I've heard from other sources it was a great show.

Diva
01-25-2010, 07:31 AM
Our niece went to see Wicked yesterday in Philly ... tomorrow we'll find out how it was. I've been thinking of taking Mare to go see it - but I'm debating whether to go in Philly or NYC. (Not looking forward to the commute up to NYC though ...) I've heard from other sources it was a great show.

I love the two songs "Popular" and "For Good" in that show......I've not seen it, but have heard the sound track......I want to see it so badly!

:pile:

NJFemmie
01-25-2010, 07:36 AM
I love the two songs "Popular" and "For Good" in that show......I've not seen it, but have heard the sound track......I want to see it so badly!

Hmmm... thanks for the idea - I think I'll hunt down the soundtrack.
I know Mare 'did' want to see it ... but I mentioned it yesterday and She was like ... "eh...". Maybe Stacey will change her mind if she provides a good review. Everyone I've talked to who has seen it has said it was a great show... my curiosity is piqued.

Ryobi
01-25-2010, 11:07 AM
Holy Hannah, don't get me started!

Wicked. A must see for the theater lover.

I think my all time fav. is Lion King. I worked the "backstage ballet" on that more than 70 times before I sat in the audience to watch it. Honestly, I never got burnt out on that show.

Shrek, Legally Blonde, and 101 Dalmatians are all newer ones that are good too. (I don't think Shrek is touring yet.)

Wow, I have to get out of this thread now or I'll be here all day.

Have a good show.
Ryan, who has hella black wardrobe. :batman:

Apocalipstic
01-25-2010, 11:08 AM
Not sure if too many of you are out there, but wondering if there are any Broadway/musical/live theater fans out there. I love all of the above - see a lot of productions at our local community theaters and sometimes catch shows at the professional theater.

My current favorite is Wicked - I saw it 4 or 5 months ago and I still listen to the soundtrack none-stop. It's going to be in a city in a couple months about 5 hours from me - I'm seriously considering making the trip to see it again.

So, any other fans of the stage?

Love theater! Majored in it in college, and work in it now, sort of.

I see shows on Broadway and in London a couple of times a year and am so excited about the sequel to Phantom which starts soon in London and they are casting for now in NYC. Have no idea how many times I have seen Phantom...love it.

I have to admit, I do not like Cats. At all. The show, not my precious babies. :)

Have seen Mary Poppins, The Woman in White, Evita (so many times), Producers, Chitichiti Bang Bang, Grease, Guys and Dolls, Mame, Lord of the Rings (WEIRD), West Side Story, Fiddler, Daddy Cool, Little Mermaid, Lion King, Sound of Music, Oklahoma, Wicked, South Pacific, Mama Mia and more...We Will Rock You!

My first West End musical in London was before I ever saw anything actually ON Broadway. It was the Lion King and it was my first few hours of my first trip to London and I loved it! I thought it would be silly, but it still is one my my most favorite.

The First musical I saw on stage that changed my life was Evita. LOVE that show. I was especially excited to see it in London. It was my 5th time to see it (I think) and it was unbelievable.

Cool thread Kayden!

PS, was really sad I missed Young Frankenstein, Aida and Lestat on Broadway.

Apocalipstic
01-25-2010, 11:12 AM
Holy Hannah, don't get me started!

Wicked. A must see for the theater lover.

I think my all time fav. is Lion King. I worked the "backstage ballet" on that more than 70 times before I sat in the audience to watch it. Honestly, I never got burnt out on that show.

Shrek, Legally Blonde, and 101 Dalmatians are all newer ones that are good too. (I don't think Shrek is touring yet.)

Wow, I have to get out of this thread now or I'll be here all day.

Have a good show.
Ryan, who has hella black wardrobe. :batman:

Ha, I have hella black wardrobe too. :) a must for theater people.

Backstage for Lion King! Awesome! Where?

Have resisted Shreck, but would love to see Legally Blond. It had just opened in London in December when we were there a couple of weeks ago and it was sold out with huge lines. :)

Andrew, Jr.
01-25-2010, 11:18 AM
I just love live theatre. Nothing beats it. I esp. love to go to NYC and see shows. One of my favorites is to go to Radio City Music Hall and see The Christmas Spectacular with the live animals & the Rocketts dance.

I have seen musicals, which I love. The Disney spinoffs, and then the bio's like The Jersey Boys, and Sinatra. Sinatra was by far my most favorite. I just loved that show.

Apocalipstic
01-25-2010, 11:22 AM
I just love live theatre. Nothing beats it. I esp. love to go to NYC and see shows. One of my favorites is to go to Radio City Music Hall and see The Christmas Spectacular with the live animals & the Rocketts dance.

I have seen musicals, which I love. The Disney spinoffs, and then the bio's like The Jersey Boys, and Sinatra. Sinatra was by far my most favorite. I just loved that show.

I want to see both of those shows and the Rockettes at Radio City Music Hall. In fact I have never seen anything there and would love to.

I did see Cirque (really weird) at the Royal Albert Hall and got all teary eyed just walking in. Made me think of the movie "The Man Who Knew Too Much". I felt so silly but it was very emotional just to be there. I think I will feel sinmilarly about RCMH!

Arwen
01-25-2010, 12:07 PM
Personally I think the energy of the show is what makes it. So it can be a Little Theater production or a first-run Broadway show and still have that frisson that I love when I go to live theater. And that's a good thing for me since NYC is a bit of a hike. LOL

I've heard that you can also request a backstage tour from some shows. I've never actually done that. Does anyone know if that's true? One day I'll be brave enough to do that.

Oh, another live show I saw in Denver was "STOMP!". Whoa. Talk about energy!

Ryobi
01-25-2010, 12:35 PM
Personally I think the energy of the show is what makes it. So it can be a Little Theater production or a first-run Broadway show and still have that frisson that I love when I go to live theater. And that's a good thing for me since NYC is a bit of a hike. LOL

I've heard that you can also request a backstage tour from some shows. I've never actually done that. Does anyone know if that's true? One day I'll be brave enough to do that.

Oh, another live show I saw in Denver was "STOMP!". Whoa. Talk about energy!

Ahhhhh, The Arwenian speaks the truth. Some productions will offer backstage tours. If you are going to a show, call the theater a few days ahead of time and ask if "backstage tours" are available. Dont ask for a "theater tour" cuz then, they will just walk you around the theater. lol. Good point Arwen, thanks for bringing it up. :) I would HIGHLY recommend doing this if it's offered. Neat stuff!

STOMP! Love it! Anything Riverdance, love that too! How that all works blows me away sometimes.

Apocalipstic
01-25-2010, 12:42 PM
I agree about the feel of the show being the energy. I liked Phanton best here, even some musicals I have seen at colleges are just as good as anything I have seen on Broadway.

I am very interested in set and theater design and sometimes the lack of an unlimited budget makes for more interesting sets too :). Great point Arwen! I bet y'all get good first run tours in Austin too. :)

Though I enjoy the Disney unlimited budget thing (you know, what could be done if...), by far my favorite was Lion King which was a very simple set.

Andrew, Jr.
01-25-2010, 04:00 PM
Riverdance was excellent. I didn't see Stomp. I want too.

I am not sure about the backstage tour. It really depends on where you are, and what is playing, and who is in the show like if it is a major actor or actress. I would give anything a try at least once. What can it hurt? Really.

Now, with all the terrorist things going on I am not sure in NYC. But again, give it a whirl. :bellydancer:

Apocalipstic
01-25-2010, 04:09 PM
Riverdance was excellent. I didn't see Stomp. I want too.

I am not sure about the backstage tour. It really depends on where you are, and what is playing, and who is in the show like if it is a major actor or actress. I would give anything a try at least once. What can it hurt? Really.

Now, with all the terrorist things going on I am not sure in NYC. But again, give it a whirl. :bellydancer:

I have worked lot's of shows backstage and it is a whole different perspective and one you might enjoy.

I know that security is tighter, great point Andrew, I know here in Nashville local crews often have to wait on the dock for load out instead of backstage like they used to for rock concerts.

Would be worth checking out of you are interested in how it all works. :)

Some people only want to be in the audience and experince the magic and I totally get that, but if you are interested, its cool to see how it all works.

Also, for me, theater tours are cool in themselves. Some of the theatres in NYC and London (or here in Nashville like the Ryman) for example have so much history. I am sure other places too, those are just ones I am familiar with.

BestButchBoy
01-25-2010, 04:16 PM
I did musical theater in high school and college. I was in Grease, Bye-Bye Birdie, Lil' Abner, and Little Shop of Horrors.

The only musical that I've ever seen on Broadway was Rent. It is still my favorite. I've seen it both on broadway and the broadway cast on tour. An ex of mine was a theater electrician and so got comp seats to every show so I got to see the few that I was interested in (I also love Evita) that were on at the theater she worked at.

A friend once took me to see Godspell as well.

I still want to see Phantom, Wicked, and Spring Awakening. We'll see how that goes...

Godspell was the very first play I ever saw---age 9 or 10, I think. And, in Boston! I see you live in Malden. And, I was on the board of directors at the Black Box theatre---familiar with it?

Personally---I didn't dig Phantom or Wicked. But, I loved Les Miserables, Hairspray, Chicago, Boeing, Boeing and The Producers.

NY has great off Broadway too!

Break a leg!

Apocalipstic
01-25-2010, 04:24 PM
Godspell was the very first play I ever saw---age 9 or 10, I think. And, in Boston! I see you live in Malden. And, I was on the board of directors at the Black Box theatre---familiar with it?

Personally---I didn't dig Phantom or Wicked. But, I loved Les Miserables, Hairspray, Chicago, Boeing, Boeing and The Producers.

Break a leg!

For me, Phantom especially is about the sets and and majesty, some of the music is annoying!

I forgot Hairspray and Les Mis.

So sorry I missed Boeing Boeing, maybe someone will do it locally. :)

cerys
01-25-2010, 05:01 PM

Break a leg!

I saw Godspell at the Schubert Theater in Boston in umm...2000? It was with a very gay actor man that I worked with at the time. He conned me into going by buying the tickets and dinner and driving. Godspell is by far not my favorite show. I think I'd seen it elsewhere - maybe at school? I don't really remember. yeah, I think maybe the drama class did in high school.

I don't know the Black Box Theater. I'm not actually from Malden, I'm from Worcester. I moved to Malden in September.

I've seen the film version of Les Mis, but I've never gotten the chance to see it on stage.

BestButchBoy
01-25-2010, 05:04 PM
I saw Godspell at the Schubert Theater in Boston in umm...2000? It was with a very gay actor man that I worked with at the time. He conned me into going by buying the tickets and dinner and driving. Godspell is by far not my favorite show. I think I'd seen it elsewhere - maybe at school? I don't really remember. yeah, I think maybe the drama class did in high school.

I don't know the Black Box Theater. I'm not actually from Malden, I'm from Worcester. I moved to Malden in September.

I've seen the film version of Les Mis, but I've never gotten the chance to see it on stage.

Worcester girl, huh? My best bud grew up in Worcester.

Yeah---I was 9 or 10 eons ago...haha, not 2000.

If you do get a chance---Les Miserables is an epic and quite enjoyable. Great drama and music!

Cheers for Queers!

Darth Denkay
01-25-2010, 10:26 PM
Diva - you have got to see this show. The two songs you mention are awesome - "What is this feeling" is great, but my favorite song in the show is "Defying Gravity". I get chills every time I hear it, and I mean while I driving listening to the CD. Absolutely amazing.

I've got a question for anyone who has seen Chicago on stage as well as the movie. Are they...similar I guess? I imagine the stage is better than the movie - which is ALWAYS the case - I guess I'm asking if the music is the same.

Thanks!!!

Diva
01-25-2010, 11:05 PM
Diva - you have got to see this show. The two songs you mention are awesome - "What is this feeling" is great, but my favorite song in the show is "Defying Gravity". I get chills every time I hear it, and I mean while I driving listening to the CD. Absolutely amazing.

I've got a question for anyone who has seen Chicago on stage as well as the movie. Are they...similar I guess? I imagine the stage is better than the movie - which is ALWAYS the case - I guess I'm asking if the music is the same.

Thanks!!!

WARNING: Shameless Name~dropping alert....

Several years ago (1996) I went to NY with my best gay bf....he is friends with Kander & Ebb's personal assistant (go figure) and we got to use K&E's seats....dead center about 12 rows back. OMG! (We also got to take a tour of their brownstone and somewhere, there is a picture of me holding their Tony.....<sigh> )

The movie was pretty true~to~form, but of course they had the luxury of more special effects, etc. which a live venue cannot supply. I enjoyed it, too!

That being said.....there is nothing much hotter than Bebe Neuwirth in fishnets and 4" heels....... her legs go to her armpits, I'm convinced! :giggle:

Arwen
01-25-2010, 11:33 PM
Ahhhhh, The Arwenian speaks the truth. Some productions will offer backstage tours. If you are going to a show, call the theater a few days ahead of time and ask if "backstage tours" are available. Dont ask for a "theater tour" cuz then, they will just walk you around the theater. lol. Good point Arwen, thanks for bringing it up. :) I would HIGHLY recommend doing this if it's offered. Neat stuff!

STOMP! Love it! Anything Riverdance, love that too! How that all works blows me away sometimes.

Good to know my sources weren't just blowing smoke up my skirt. Y0u know how some people are! ;)

I agree about the feel of the show being the energy. I liked Phanton best here, even some musicals I have seen at colleges are just as good as anything I have seen on Broadway.

I am very interested in set and theater design and sometimes the lack of an unlimited budget makes for more interesting sets too :). Great point Arwen! I bet y'all get good first run tours in Austin too. :)

I cry from the energy of the well-done show. It just bubbles up out of me and I have to release it somehow. LOVE it.

And yes, college musicals can just rock the house, can't they!

For me, Phantom especially is about the sets and and majesty, some of the music is annoying!

Hee, you mean you do not like the self-indulgent, maudlin Phantom?

Apocalipstic
01-26-2010, 09:43 AM

Thanks!!!

Same music and all that Jazz......1/3 of the women we audition for cruise ships sing ATJ. Double sigh.

and I love love love Defying Gravity. Do you watch Glee? If not, start! :)

WARNING: Shameless Name~dropping alert....

Several years ago (1996) I went to NY with my best gay bf....he is friends with Kander & Ebb's personal assistant (go figure) and we got to use K&E's seats....dead center about 12 rows back. OMG! (We also got to take a tour of their brownstone and somewhere, there is a picture of me holding their Tony.....<sigh> )

The movie was pretty true~to~form, but of course they had the luxury of more special effects, etc. which a live venue cannot supply. I enjoyed it, too!

That being said.....there is nothing much hotter than Bebe Neuwirth in fishnets and 4" heels....... her legs go to her armpits, I'm convinced! :giggle:

Color me JEALOUS!

Good to know my sources weren't just blowing smoke up my skirt. Y0u know how some people are! ;)

I cry from the energy of the well-done show. It just bubbles up out of me and I have to release it somehow. LOVE it.

And yes, college musicals can just rock the house, can't they!

Hee, you mean you do not like the self-indulgent, maudlin Phantom?

Love college musicals! :)

Phanom....Yeah, the Phantom needs therapy...LAUGH!. AND-to stop the whining..though I do love the Phantoms lair. Fabulous. Especially on stage with candles and haze and all that Gothic atmosphere I so love.

Cyclopea
01-26-2010, 11:52 AM
Has anyone seen this documentary? It follows 4 new shows for one year as they prepare for and open on Broadway: Avenue Q, Caroline or Change, Taboo, Wicked.
I highly recommend it.
:beatnik:
YouTube- "ShowBusiness: The Road to Broadway" theatrical trailer

Apocalipstic
01-26-2010, 01:15 PM
Has anyone seen this documentary? It follows 4 new shows for one year as they prepare for and open on Broadway: Avenue Q, Caroline or Change, Taboo, Wicked.
I highly recommend it.
:beatnik:
YouTube- "ShowBusiness: The Road to Broadway" theatrical trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmpSwJsnzP8)

Have not, will order! :)

Duchess
01-26-2010, 01:27 PM
Great thread!!!...I love musicals and plays. My favorites are really old school..Favorite musical is a toss up between A Chorus Line and Cats..My favorite plays are Arsenic and Old Lace and You Can't Take It With You w/ Jason Robards in the lead....:hamactor::awww:

Duchess

Arwen
01-26-2010, 02:01 PM
I'm a bit of a scene/set 'ho myself. I love watching HOW things are put together. I remember a set for "The Night Is A Lonely Hunter" (Carson McCuller) at my college. It was built on three levels with each one being a series of frames. They were meant to represent rooms but also literally frames for each scene as though it were independent of the rest. If you know the play, you know no one is really ever independent of the rest.

Our narrator spoke from various points on this stage setting the scenes. I always thought that bare bones staging was brilliant.

Of course, I also remember the dress rehearsal when the brand-spanking-new computerized (very chi-chi in those days) lightboard ran through ALL the cues in about 10 minutes during our narrator's opening monologue. It was a hoot--DISCO time.

The crew was amused. The director? Not so much. :zombie:

Gemme
01-26-2010, 06:42 PM
I am a theatre virgin. :blink: I find this rather amusing considering what my honey does for a living.

I don't count the community theatre that I've been to to support my friends. I enjoyed it, but I was there for my friends and, honestly, it lacked some of the magic I'd hope I'd find in a professional production.

Some of my wishlist includes:

Wicked (one of my housemates saw it in Seattle and LOVED it)
Chicago (I love the movie)
Rent (I love the movie)
A Chorus Line (I own the movie...somewhere...and it holds a certain sentimental value to me now)
STOMP! (HAVE to see this one!)
Hairspray (who doesn't love this one?)
The Producers (loved the movie)
Riverdance (okay, I just love dancing)
The Lion King (with 6 days of load in and 15 trucks full of materials, it HAS to be spectacularly fantastic!)

I have no idea what Boeing, Boeing entails but considering Boeing is a mere hour away, maybe I should invest in finding out. :chaplin:

I, however, have no urge to see Phantom at all. It's just not my cuppa. :coffee:

cerys
01-26-2010, 08:28 PM
Rent (I love the movie)

The Rent movie was..... I don't have words. It had the potential and was SO CLOSE to being amazingly perfect. They took out Contact (for the rating, I believe), but how could they take out .... damn. i can't remember which song I was so upset about. But I was very upset about it when the movie was over and that song was missing!

Gemme
01-26-2010, 08:33 PM
The Rent movie was..... I don't have words. It had the potential and was SO CLOSE to being amazingly perfect. They took out Contact (for the rating, I believe), but how could they take out .... damn. i can't remember which song I was so upset about. But I was very upset about it when the movie was over and that song was missing!

I have no idea what you are talking about (having not seen it on stage, of course), but if I do get the chance, I'll make a mental note to keep my ears primed for what you are talking about. Who sang it and to whom?

Darth Denkay
01-27-2010, 09:59 PM
Like many of you, the energy from a good production is amazing. DOesn't matter the venue - college, community, or professional - it is addicting. It doesn't matter the size of the audience, good actors seem as though they connect with me like there is no one else in the room. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

I've developed this odd little behavior that I think you all might get. After a good show, during curtain call, when each actor comes forward and bows I nod my head as though the gestures are between us. It just feels WRONG not to acknowledge them!

Apocalipstic - Sequel to Phantom? Do tell!!!

Cerys - You mentioned the movie "Rent". I first saw the show at the Orpheum, our professional theater. LOVED IT!!! When the movie came out I was really excited - it was almost the exact same cast so I figured it would be good (not as good as the stage performance of course). I was really disappointed, the movie had none of the feeling that the show did. Now, I may watch it again - maybe I was just in a weird mood that night, but it was just so weird to have basically the same cast and not enjoy it. I wasn't aware they left a song out - I'll have to pay attention when I watch it again.

Rock on my theater friends!

Duchess
01-28-2010, 12:04 AM
Like many of you, the energy from a good production is amazing. DOesn't matter the venue - college, community, or professional - it is addicting. It doesn't matter the size of the audience, good actors
!

I so agree with you. One of my favorite places in Atlanta is Actor's Express. Seats maybe 500 and it supports alot of gay and lesbian productions. It's absolutely charming. It showcased my favorite production of Love, Valour and Compassion..:cheer:

Duchess

Arwen
01-28-2010, 11:19 AM
I've only seen "Rent" on screen. Had a chance to see it here in Austin last year but wimped out. Won't do that again! I will have to find the Broadway album so I can get all the music. I have several musicals on my iPod including Rent, Chicago, Enchanted, The King & I... grin

So let's go back....what's the first live theater you can remember seeing?

P.to the S. So nice to see others who get the energy of theater over the location.

jenny
01-28-2010, 11:52 AM

There were several songs missing, in addition to "Contact." All of the "tune ups" and "voice mails" were missing, and were great fun in the stage version. Also, "We're Okay" and "Christmas Day" are left out of the film version.

I saw the stage version of "Rent" about ten times, including twice with the original cast. Amazing. The interesting thing about the film version, though, is that it fills in a lot of the blank spots in the stage show that left me guessing for a while. The movie version of "Chicago" did the same thing, when compared to the stage version.

Rook
01-28-2010, 12:00 PM
I saw Fiddler on the Roof, with Alfred Molina, that was awesome..
Never got a chance to see Rent with the original Cast Live..
I was mesmerized by Angels in America {the HBO version was ok...kind of 'boosting' with special FX}..
I was given Cats on DVD for a birthday gift[oddly enuff the version I saw in Canada wasn't the same as the DVD, my fave parts were of Mr. Mistoffelees, Deuteronomy , and Macavity}..
I do wanna see the Lion King...
in college, i was told i needed 2 extra credits, to give some thought what I'd like to take, i figured theater would be suitable..every lawyer has to perform theatrics in front of a jury to convince them at some point, no?
I almost quit Law at the time to pursue performing arts when the production ended...it was an experience of a lifetime..
Although , I did find the directors pet peeves curious..
for instance, he was of the firm belief true actors never Bow...
veterans in the troupe were very nervous after an encore, half of us bowed to a full house of applause..
backstage however, some vets kept saying 'i dont think we shouldve done that'..
and yeh...he stormed into the dressing room and pretty much tore into us
"while you're on my stage, u will never fucking bow, the difference between professional, and amateur is bowing, all of u showed me how professional u are tonight"
i never bowed again *L*{but i did wonder quietly about every actor i've ever seen bowing..}

Beau
01-28-2010, 05:14 PM
Yes, theater is my passion; it was formative for me. I saw myself in a myriad of ways that helped explain an inner reality that was privy to no one else. My baby butch lived and breathed in the world of musicals, plays, and film.

Today I thought of this one.

YouTube- Oliver!- Where is love? [Scene Five]

And it took 48 years, but I found her. :stillheart:

Jet
01-28-2010, 05:51 PM
I wanted to be an actor and was determined to go to New York
after high school. I became a radio announcer, a copywriter and a designer; so there's about 38 years in
communications never making it to New York. I did have a brief stint acting in college.

I loved acting and I have thought about auditioning for a theater troupe, or maybe a one-act, maybe three.
But I have been gone for so long from the theater, I have a lot of catching up to do.

I left off acting in "theater of the absurd" or "black comedies" such as Ionesco, Albee and Ibsen. I thought they were all crazy.
Being traditional and preferring timeless scripts (as you might expect being an ol' jet-type), I prefer pillars like O'Neill and
Williams, Inge etc. in theater, and Billy Wilder and Paddy Chayefsky as sort of my benchmark favorites in da movies.
I totally love the 1920s and 1930s writers who were in that tight "New York circle" of dramatists and writers such as Lillian Hellman, Clifford Odets,
and Dorothy Parker. I think Dashiell Hammett and Moss Hart may have been in there, but don't quote me.
It would have been ultra to do a Lillian Hellman play like"These Three" (play and film) later re-shot by William Wyler and retitled
"The Childrens Hour" about a scandal involving school teachers accusing them of being lesbians.

Thanks for this thread. It's going to bring me up to date on theater, and air old my old musty memories,
which I haven't taken the time to do.

Darth Denkay
01-29-2010, 05:32 PM
Great question! If we're talking live performance in general it would be The Nutcracker. Beyond that...wow, I'm not sure. I think You can't take it with you, at a community theater. First musical: Give my regards to Broadway at my high school theater. And first Broadway show (although the former might have been on broadway???) was either Phantom or Les Mis. In high school we went on a school trip up the east coast seeing all sorts of historical locations, the places we'd been studying about - a really good trip! Anyway, on that trip we saw Phantom and Les Mis on two consecutive days, so those were the first.

And this is off-topic as far as the question, but in thinking about all this I can't help but remember all the children's musicals I was in at church. You know, 25+ years later I still remember some of the songs!!!

So let's go back....what's the first live theater you can remember seeing?

cerys
01-31-2010, 05:12 PM
I have no idea what you are talking about (having not seen it on stage, of course), but if I do get the chance, I'll make a mental note to keep my ears primed for what you are talking about. Who sang it and to whom?

That's just it. I remember being really upset and I could have sworn that it was "Goodbye Love" but I checked the track listing for the movie soundtrack and that's there. I'm fairly certain it's a song that should have been towards the end....but I can't remember which one. I haven't seen the movie in a few years.

cerys
01-31-2010, 05:14 PM
There were several songs missing, in addition to "Contact." All of the "tune ups" and "voice mails" were missing, and were great fun in the stage version. Also, "We're Okay" and "Christmas Day" are left out of the film version.

I saw the stage version of "Rent" about ten times, including twice with the original cast. Amazing. The interesting thing about the film version, though, is that it fills in a lot of the blank spots in the stage show that left me guessing for a while. The movie version of "Chicago" did the same thing, when compared to the stage version.

yeah, i wasn't so upset about the voicemails being missing... I guess I could see why you'd cut them out of a movie version.

Ryobi
02-08-2010, 11:34 AM
Ha, I have hella black wardrobe too. :) a must for theater people.

Backstage for Lion King! Awesome! Where?

Have resisted Shreck, but would love to see Legally Blond. It had just opened in London in December when we were there a couple of weeks ago and it was sold out with huge lines. :)

I'm so behind on everything lately! :)

Lion King: I worked with the "Cheetah" tour. At different times I worked in the areas of, audio, carpentry, automation carpentry, puppets, and wardrobe. This tour has been dismantled, regrouped and is touring in China. (without me, no less. BOOOOO!) I wonder what it is that makes you say the set is a "simple set". It's one of the biggest and most abstract I've ever seen. lol. Just wondering.

The very first live show I saw on stage was a musical called "Up the down staircase". I have not seen it or heard about it since. Anyone else ever see it? I think I was 7, my memory of it isn't clear.

Last week I had the pleasure of working "Groovaloo". It was awesome and very high energy. I really enjoyed what I was lucky enough to see. I know they will be in Austin on Feb. 28th. Tickets are 23 to 58 bucks. (sorry, I have no strings to pull there. lol) Cost is well worth it.

Have a good show.

BestButchBoy
03-20-2010, 04:39 AM
On Broadway....

Saw this last night (pre-opening night) YouTube- Addams Family Broadway Preview and it's a fun show. I think it will only get better as the actors really get into their characters.

Nathan Lane does not disappoint and the crowd loves him. You can see and feel his passion for his craft on stage. Bebe Neuwirth is rather amusing as Morticia and does a great Argentinian tango with Lane. Great gams that chick has!

If you get to NY and want to see a fun show (not a theatrical masterpiece)...I think this might be a good bet.

And, I'm all for supporting Broadway!

GO!

Gemme
03-20-2010, 09:22 AM
On Broadway....

Saw this last night (pre-opening night) YouTube- Addams Family Broadway Preview (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1CT4SR6cFM) and it's a fun show. I think it will only get better as the actors really get into their characters.

Nathan Lane does not disappoint and the crowd loves him. You can see and feel his passion for his craft on stage. Bebe Neuwirth is rather amusing as Morticia and does a great Argentinian tango with Lane. Great gams that chick has!

If you get to NY and want to see a fun show (not a theatrical masterpiece)...I think this might be a good bet.

GO!

O. M. G!!!!

I HAVE to see this! :freak:

Darth Denkay
03-21-2010, 09:23 PM
Thanks so much for sharing this - I'm with Gemme - gotta see this one.

Anyone know anything about the sequel to Phantom of the Opera? On the one hand, Andrew Lloyd Webber wrote it so I would think it would be fantastic. On the other hand, a sequel to the phantom???

On Broadway....

Saw this last night (pre-opening night) YouTube- Addams Family Broadway Preview (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1CT4SR6cFM) and it's a fun show. I think it will only get better as the actors really get into their characters.

GO!

Duchess
03-21-2010, 09:29 PM
I did have the pleasure of experiencing Patti LuPone in Evita..Almost better than sex..:backdoorsex:

Duchess

Sachita
03-21-2010, 09:35 PM
I'm not that crazy about musicals unless the story is strong. I loved "Kiss of The Spider Woman" but really didnt care for Cats.

But live theater I love. My nephew was in a really good school production of "The Crucible" which I love. They did a great job and I really love watch small productions.

Many many moons ago NYC had a place in the Village, I think that had off beat, sometimes controversial theater. I forget the name. It was so long ago but I remember seeing some cool, yet bizarre shows there.

Darth Denkay
03-28-2010, 11:37 AM
We have mostly focused on Broadway musicals here, but live theater in general is great. We have a couple really good community theaters here - when I leave Memphis there won't be much that I miss, but I know I will miss the live theater here. Hopefully wherever I land will have a strong community theater.

I'm not that crazy about musicals unless the story is strong. I loved "Kiss of The Spider Woman" but really didnt care for Cats.

But live theater I love. My nephew was in a really good school production of "The Crucible" which I love. They did a great job and I really love watch small productions.

Many many moons ago NYC had a place in the Village, I think that had off beat, sometimes controversial theater. I forget the name. It was so long ago but I remember seeing some cool, yet bizarre shows there.

Sachita
03-28-2010, 12:26 PM
We have mostly focused on Broadway musicals here, but live theater in general is great. We have a couple really good community theaters here - when I leave Memphis there won't be much that I miss, but I know I will miss the live theater here. Hopefully wherever I land will have a strong community theater.

where are you heading? I'm sure Memphis lacks many things. How about Nashville?

I am outside a small town, Danville, VA. I miss culture and things I had in South Florida but I'd never move back to Florida. I could easily drive to DC and I might make time or even Raleigh-Durham but to be honest when I have free time, which isnt easy to come by, chances are it will be spent with very few people about. lol - But I do sometimes long for more community and often feel isolated here.

Darth Denkay
03-30-2010, 07:05 PM
Funny you mention it, Nashville is where I hope to put down roots in a year or so. I do know there is a strong theater community there, so if I land there I should be set. And yes, Memphis lacks many many things. And one of these days it will lack me too.

where are you heading? I'm sure Memphis lacks many things. How about Nashville?

I am outside a small town, Danville, VA. I miss culture and things I had in South Florida but I'd never move back to Florida. I could easily drive to DC and I might make time or even Raleigh-Durham but to be honest when I have free time, which isnt easy to come by, chances are it will be spent with very few people about. lol - But I do sometimes long for more community and often feel isolated here.

Sybelle
04-13-2010, 05:27 AM
After a lot of not so nice life stuff I moved into a place with my wild, teenaged daughter - who was our budding thespian. On a whim I auditioned for Steel Magnolias with a small theater group here. Came away as the Assistant Director for Steel Magnolias and I was hooked. My daughter opted out. She was trying to hurry up and grow up.

Trial by fire is a nice way of phrasing my introduction to live community theater. And I was still hooked. After that I worked backstage (aka teched) for a local production of Crowns. Talk about a lot of hats! Also, helped paint the stage/set for that one.

Took a few classes, learned about building characters and various "methods" of acting. Who knew? Landed a part in "Harvey" and I came away knowing I still had a lot to learn. Then it was "The Best Christmas Pageant Ever". Followed by playing the "Widow Douglas" in "the Adventures of Tom Sawyer - the musical." Who knew there was a Tom Sawyer musical? :runforhills:

Then another theater group held auditions for a show called WV: Words and Music. They wanted singers and actors and singer/actors. I really sing (singing with the symphony chorus). Acting was a way to help work on the onstage jittery solo stuff. So I auditioned to sing and came away with two very powerful monologues. The music in the show was very moving. Appalachian song has a way of pricking the heart. Our largest audience in the small Walker theater at the Clay Center was around 200. It was such an intimate setting. Onstage there, I had the first experience with really settling into the characters so well - I could see what the ancient Greeks admired about theater.

Managed to work my way into the tech crew of a local Light Opera Guild production of Peter Pan, also at the Clay Center. That was a kick yo ass production. With the fly in sets and the pieces that we had to move in and out, AND the flying kids - no pressure! Ha! But loooooooooved it. The energy was amazing.

Finished up a show last week with another theater group geared towards the younger generation and came away with a huge appreciation for the heart it takes to do just that. They work with the kids other theater groups here in town seem to want to dub "trouble". Some talented young people!

There is something about being involved from the beginning to the very end of a show. I've worked in bad shows, and in higher end production shows. You learn something with each show and with each director. And sometimes, you learn things about yourself.

This last show I finished? My girlfriend of 4 years, broke up with me on opening weekend. What had been an already stressful production, became even more so. But, under pressure, I performed and maintained that same level of energy necessary for each show. After it was done? Then came the tears and now I'm sorting through things, myself. She and I had a complicated story anyways. But that's for another thread.

Started production Sunday night for another show. My daughter is in this one! Our first one together. Should be interesting.

Yes, I love, live theater!

BestButchBoy
04-13-2010, 01:23 PM
After a lot of not so nice life stuff I moved into a place with my wild, teenaged daughter - who was our budding thespian. On a whim I auditioned for Steel Magnolias with a small theater group here. Came away as the Assistant Director for Steel Magnolias and I was hooked. My daughter opted out. She was trying to hurry up and grow up.

Trial by fire is a nice way of phrasing my introduction to live community theater. And I was still hooked. After that I worked backstage (aka teched) for a local production of Crowns. Talk about a lot of hats! Also, helped paint the stage/set for that one.

Took a few classes, learned about building characters and various "methods" of acting. Who knew? Landed a part in "Harvey" and I came away knowing I still had a lot to learn. Then it was "The Best Christmas Pageant Ever". Followed by playing the "Widow Douglas" in "the Adventures of Tom Sawyer - the musical." Who knew there was a Tom Sawyer musical? :runforhills:

Then another theater group held auditions for a show called WV: Words and Music. They wanted singers and actors and singer/actors. I really sing (singing with the symphony chorus). Acting was a way to help work on the onstage jittery solo stuff. So I auditioned to sing and came away with two very powerful monologues. The music in the show was very moving. Appalachian song has a way of pricking the heart. Our largest audience in the small Walker theater at the Clay Center was around 200. It was such an intimate setting. Onstage there, I had the first experience with really settling into the characters so well - I could see what the ancient Greeks admired about theater.

Managed to work my way into the tech crew of a local Light Opera Guild production of Peter Pan, also at the Clay Center. That was a kick yo ass production. With the fly in sets and the pieces that we had to move in and out, AND the flying kids - no pressure! Ha! But loooooooooved it. The energy was amazing.

Finished up a show last week with another theater group geared towards the younger generation and came away with a huge appreciation for the heart it takes to do just that. They work with the kids other theater groups here in town seem to want to dub "trouble". Some talented young people!

There is something about being involved from the beginning to the very end of a show. I've worked in bad shows, and in higher end production shows. You learn something with each show and with each director. And sometimes, you learn things about yourself.

This last show I finished? My girlfriend of 4 years, broke up with me on opening weekend. What had been an already stressful production, became even more so. But, under pressure, I performed and maintained that same level of energy necessary for each show. After it was done? Then came the tears and now I'm sorting through things, myself. She and I had a complicated story anyways. But that's for another thread.

Started production Sunday night for another show. My daughter is in this one! Our first one together. Should be interesting.

Yes, I love, live theater!

Brava!

I admire your determination and courage to get on the stage. Agreed--there's nothing like being in it from the beginning. When I lived in Boston I was on the board of directors for a theatre group (I'm a behind the scenes kinda theatre guy) and loved being in the game from concept to completion.

Cheers for Queers!

always2late
04-13-2010, 01:39 PM
I LOVE Broadway!! My parents had this tradition that I think I am gonna start with my son. Every Christmas, my parents would give my brother and me tickets to a Broadway show. When we were younger they would go with us...as we got older, they gave us two tickets so we could go with whoever. I think its time for a tradition revival! :D

Darth Denkay
04-15-2010, 08:22 PM
So if there's ever a show your son doesn't want to see, I wouldn't want you to waste the ticket so I could probably be persuaded to take the ticket off your hands - you know, cause I'm just that kinda guy...

I LOVE Broadway!! My parents had this tradition that I think I am gonna start with my son. Every Christmas, my parents would give my brother and me tickets to a Broadway show. When we were younger they would go with us...as we got older, they gave us two tickets so we could go with whoever. I think its time for a tradition revival! :D

Ryobi
05-17-2010, 11:11 AM
"Theodore Bikel has had a legendary career: He has played Tevye in Fiddler on the Roof more than 2,000 times over 37 years; he was the original Baron Von Trapp in the Broadway production of The Sound of Music; he has appeared in 35 films, including The African Queen and The Defiant Ones. “A performance by Theodore Bikel is a historic occasion in and of itself,” writes AV theater editor Anthony Chase."

Read more: http://artvoice.com/issues/v5n37/see_you_there#ixzz0oCtDj2rs

It was a bitter sweet moment last night at the final curtain for Fiddler on the Roof. Mr. Bikel gave a short but sweet speech announcing his retirement from the roll of Tevye. (It was unclear if he retired from acting completely but, he IS 87 years old.)
I've had the pleasure of working with him twice, someone I will never forget. It was quite an honor for our local and our theater to close a legend.

Mr. Bikel, Enjoy the rest of your life journey. And by all means, have a good show.

Arwen
05-17-2010, 11:21 AM
I've had the pleasure of working with him twice, someone I will never forget. It was quite an honor for our local and our theater to close a legend.

Mr. Bikel, Enjoy the rest of your life journey. And by all means, have a good show.

That is an honor. I love that you have been able to work with him. That's something you don't forget. I imagine you have seen some amazing/stupefying things from your side of the curtains.

cinderella
05-17-2010, 11:36 AM
Hey, where have I been that I missed this thread??? I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE musicals. However, I rarely been to live theatre, tho I did catch 'Man of LaMancha' when it first came out eons ago on Broadway, NYC. But, even tho it can't compare to live theatre, I have seen and own on tape (yeah, I still have a
VCR, lol), many, many musicals of the golden age of musicals - the 50's, and 60's, ie, West Side Story, et al. I have them all and love them all.

Gypsy with the incomparable Roz Russell and Natalie Wood played on TCM the other night. I own it, and have seen it a gazillion times, but still watch it whenever it comes on - I love that musical.

Gigi is another fave, so is Camelot and My Fair Lady - gosh, I could just go on and on. Which are your faves? I've heard that Wicked is awesome, but never have seen it - hope to tho.

cinderella
05-17-2010, 12:11 PM
What an honor to be involved with this legend. The productions you've mentioned here are classic. I never had the privlege to see them in 'live' theater, but of course have seen the movie versions, and they are among my favorites. How lucky for you to be involved in theatre - it has always been a dream of mine to act - being the ham that I am, lol.

"Theodore Bikel has had a legendary career: He has played Tevye in Fiddler on the Roof more than 2,000 times over 37 years; he was the original Baron Von Trapp in the Broadway production of The Sound of Music; he has appeared in 35 films, including The African Queen and The Defiant Ones. “A performance by Theodore Bikel is a historic occasion in and of itself,” writes AV theater editor Anthony Chase."

Read more: http://artvoice.com/issues/v5n37/see_you_there#ixzz0oCtDj2rs

It was a bitter sweet moment last night at the final curtain for Fiddler on the Roof. Mr. Bikel gave a short but sweet speech announcing his retirement from the roll of Tevye. (It was unclear if he retired from acting completely but, he IS 87 years old.)

Ryobi
05-17-2010, 10:55 PM
That is an honor. I love that you have been able to work with him. That's something you don't forget. I imagine you have seen some amazing/stupefying things from your side of the curtains.

Indeed, I have seen some amazing/stupefying things on the backstage side. "making the magic happen" isn't always easy but, it is always cool as hell. And, for the most part, the people I meet are also cool as hell. From the big names, to the no name yet, to the animals, it truly is awesome.

"I've heard that Wicked is awesome, but never have seen it - hope to tho." cinderella, I have only two words for "Wicked", IT'S AMAZING. And all the films you talked about, I'm trying to catch up. lol

Darth Denkay
05-20-2010, 12:07 AM
"I've heard that Wicked is awesome, but never have seen it - hope to tho." cinderella, I have only two words for "Wicked", IT'S AMAZING. And all the films you talked about, I'm trying to catch up. lol

Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes!

Cyclopea
05-20-2010, 03:53 PM
http://www.i-mockery.com/blabber/pics/pee-wee-herman-show1.jpg

May 20, 2010, 1:00 PM
I Meant to Do That: ‘The Pee-wee Herman Show’ Coming to Broadway
By DAVE ITZKOFF

The next time you hear Pee-wee Herman snidely ask, “I know you are but what am I?,” the correct answer is: Broadway-bound.

On Thursday, the producers announced that “The Pee-wee Herman Show,” the original stage comedy that set that manic man-child character portrayed by Paul Reubens on a path to cult stardom, will transfer to Broadway in the fall for a six-week run.

Though Mr. Reubens, 57, is generally much more low-key than his impish, bow-tie-clad alter ego, his impending date with Broadway stirred a little Pee-wee style exuberance within him.

“I can hardly believe it,” Mr. Reubens said Wednesday evening in a telephone interview. “Honestly, I’ve been pinching myself.”
----------------
Read the rest at:

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/05/20/i-meant-to-do-that-the-pee-wee-herman-show-coming-to-broadway/

Sybelle
05-23-2010, 10:07 PM
Not quite broadway, but gearing up for a new show with a local production company. Should be interesting. I'm playing a lesbian girl's school headmistress. It has drama, no lesbians were harmed in the making and damned if I don't want to cry. Good story overall. We open in two weeks!

Sybelle
05-24-2010, 04:54 AM
Not quite broadway, but gearing up for a new show with a local production company. Should be interesting. I'm playing a lesbian girl's school headmistress. It has drama, no lesbians were harmed in the making and damned if I don't want to cry. Good story overall. We open in two weeks!

Or I should say, a girl's school headmistress who is also a lesbian. It was late, I plead to being tired! *grins*

cinderella
05-24-2010, 10:17 AM
Wow! With all these accolades for Wicked, now I def have got to see it!!

Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes!

turasultana
05-24-2010, 10:24 AM
Le Cage aux Folles - revival on broadway is great. So funny. Deserves all the tony nominations, especially for the guy playing Albin!

Sybelle
06-04-2010, 03:28 PM
Show opened last night to some great reviews. Cross your fingers that we get more of the same for the next five performances. Two this weekend, and three next weekend - should wind everything up.

Then I'm off to help with a production of Barnum. But that's tech and during the final tech week. And working tech on a show can be stressful, but not like being ON the stage.

Woot.

lipstixgal
06-04-2010, 04:55 PM
I love the theater live real close to NYC and can see any show I want except it is expensive so being a student I don't get there much but when I graduate I will go more often!!

BestButchBoy
06-04-2010, 05:03 PM
I love the theater live real close to NYC and can see any show I want except it is expensive so being a student I don't get there much but when I graduate I will go more often!!

Check this out: http://www.broadwaybox.com/

There are a host of sites that offer discounts (see Google.com)---then there's same day tickets you can purchase in the city as well.

Options.

Cheers for Queers!

lipstixgal
06-04-2010, 05:55 PM
Check this out: http://www.broadwaybox.com/

There are a host of sites that offer discounts (see Google.com)---then there's same day tickets you can purchase in the city as well.

Options.

Cheers for Queers!

thanks Bestbutch!! I will try to go to a play more often, are you in Manhattan or the outer boroughs? Always looking for new friends in the area!!

Thanks lipstixgal

Darth Denkay
06-06-2010, 11:54 AM
Congratulations - hope the rest of the run goes as well!!!

Show opened last night to some great reviews. Cross your fingers that we get more of the same for the next five performances. Two this weekend, and three next weekend - should wind everything up.

Then I'm off to help with a production of Barnum. But that's tech and during the final tech week. And working tech on a show can be stressful, but not like being ON the stage.

Woot.

Delish
06-06-2010, 12:07 PM
I love the theater! My fav play thus far is The Color Purple. I am hopefully going next month to see The Phantom Of The Opera in ATL as it's the last year for it...or so I heard.

BestButchBoy
06-12-2010, 06:00 AM
...but, worth going, well, if you're a fan of dance. And, I am.

This company is in residence and performing at NYC's Joyce Theatre every year [this year, 7.12.10 - 8.7.10]. GO! You won't be disappointed. It is a visceral experience that you won't forget.

http://www.pilobolus.com/

Darth Denkay
06-13-2010, 11:55 AM
I just want to say that I am really happy that folks have jumped in here to talk about theater that isn't Broadway. I do love musicals, but live theater in general is wonderful. We have a couple excellent community theaters here and I catch a lot of their shows. And really enjoy them. So I love that we can celebrate theater in all it's wonderful aspects, from Broadway to the children's Christmas musical - it is all magic, yes?

Scota_Parisi
07-05-2010, 12:25 AM
Congratulations - hope the rest of the run goes as well!!!

Darth, thanks! It did!! I've been a busy gal with a name change on the Boards here (from Sybelle to Scota). Plus, I've managed to finish up that show, do tech work on Barnum for the Light Opera Guild group here. And after auditioning, landed a role as a Tribe member in their upcoming production of "Hair". It's been busy mad, but having plenty of fun as well as learning a lot in the process about productions. The highlight though was during the run of Barnum, got a call from another friend and was able to go help with costume changes for a well known vocalist group during a local performance.

It was an experience .. to say the least. :)

Scota_Parisi
08-10-2010, 08:46 AM
(Let the Sunshine In)

We starve-look
At one another
Short of breath
Walking proudly in our winter coats
Wearing smells from laboratories
Facing a dying nation
Of moving paper fantasy
Listening for the new told lies
With supreme visions of lonely tunes

Somewhere
Inside something there is a rush of
Greatness
Who knows what stands in front of
Our lives
I fashion my future on films in space
Silence
Tells me secretly
Everything
Everything

Manchester England England
Manchester England England
Eyes look your last
Across the Atlantic Sea
Arms take your last
embrace
And I'm a genius genius
And lips oh you the
doors of breath
I believe in God
Seal with a righteous kiss
And I believe that God believes in Claude
Seal with a righteous kiss
That's me, that's me, that's me
The rest is silence
The rest is silence
The rest is silence

[Singing]
Our space songs on a spider web sitar
Life is around you and in you
Answer for Timothy Leary, dearie

Let the sunshine
Let the sunshine in
The sunshine in
Let the sunshine
Let the sunshine in
The sunshine in
Let the sunshine
Let the sunshine in
The sun shine in...

JPJzPI0lqiE

And that is a wrap. Closed up Sunday night. We performed the "revival" version of "Hair". In turn it became so, so many things to me - musically and spiritually. It will take a while to sit back and process.

After a busy year with this and other shows - taking some time off to relax and sort out everything. Singing at a wedding and working on a student film are the only upcoming local projects going on for me, for a while.

Silence tells me secretly... everything.

jenny
08-10-2010, 09:29 AM

Another option -- TDF.org. Students can join for $30/year, and then you can buy tix to all sorts of shows (including some Broadway ones!!) for very, very low prices. My daughter, who is a TDF member, got tickets to see "Hair" for $38, and was about ten rows back in the orchestra section.

Jen

RockOn
09-29-2010, 05:08 AM
*raises hand*
Toss me in the Broadway fan bucket!

When driving on a roadtrip alone, I like to sing songs from the old 60s Rogers and Hammerstein movies. No worries ... if you were to ever find yourself a passenger in my truck, I would not expect you to suffer through my singing. No one should ever have to tolerate or be exposed to the unacceptable! *chuckles to self*

:rrose:
Brock

DapperButch
12-11-2010, 10:11 PM
Went to the theater this evening to see A Midsummer Night's Dream.

It was excellent...great acting!

:hamactor:

jenny
06-06-2011, 12:27 PM
I saw "Book of Mormon" over the weekend. It was irreverent, completely un-PC, and downright crude... and probably one of the best shows I've ever seen on Broadway!! Absolutely deserving of the 14 Tony nominations it got!

citybutch
06-06-2011, 12:35 PM
*Gasp*... did not know this thread was here!

I have been President of the Board of Trustee's of Diversionary Theatre here in San Diego. It's the 3rd oldest LGBT theatre in the nation!! We are very proud of what we do... from commissioning plays (Dear Harvey, The Daddy Machine, and a new one in the works), to Queer Theatre, Dance Theatre, and many more artistic endeavors!

I love theatre... cannot breath without it! We will be heading back to NYC to see a few things... Book of Mormon is one... Priscilla is another... Glad to know Book of Mormon was great... Can't wait to see it!

MissItalianDiva
06-06-2011, 01:35 PM
I adore broadway but must admit I am still heartbroken over Cats.....one of my new favorites is Wicked. It was delightful

StillettoDoll
05-20-2012, 05:16 PM
Wow didn't know we have a Broadway thread! Me and Blaze go to the Theater a lot . Houston has many performances that come through here all year long. We recently saw La Cage Aux Folles..which was absolutely fabulous!!!!!!! OMG! with George Hamilton.
Today we went to see Carrie Fisher's one women show "Wishful Drinking" very funny! She is sooo clever.

http://s3.broadway.com/photos/large/3.167239.jpghttp://ww2.hdnux.com/photos/12/63/24/2831677/5/628x471.jpg

What have you seen latey?

Darth Denkay
05-22-2012, 06:04 AM
Hey StillettoDoll!

I haven't seen a Broadway show in a while :( will have to check to see what the new season here brings as it's almost that time. I have read Carrie Fisher's book "Wishful Drinking" and seen excerpts of it - very clever indeed! As a hardcore Star Wars nut whose first ever crush was Princess Leia Carrie Fisher will always hold a special place in my heart!!!

Wow didn't know we have a Broadway thread! Me and Blaze go to the Theater a lot . Houston has many performances that come through here all year long. We recently saw La Cage Aux Folles..which was absolutely fabulous!!!!!!! OMG! with George Hamilton.
Today we went to see Carrie Fisher's one women show "Wishful Drinking" very funny! She is sooo clever.

http://s3.broadway.com/photos/large/3.167239.jpghttp://ww2.hdnux.com/photos/12/63/24/2831677/5/628x471.jpg

What have you seen latey?

Ciaran
05-23-2012, 06:15 AM
I live in London so see many shows in London's West-End.

However, also love going to Broadway. Ironically, my memories of watching the classic big name shows is always London-based (Les Miserables, Phantom etc) whereas the Broadway productions I've picked have often been a beat more, um, off-beat.

I went to see AvenueQ in Broadway back in 2005 when I was in NYC for a long weekend to celebrate my 30th birthday. Back then, it was still relatively unknown and I wasn't overly enthusiastic to attend ... it was a truly fantastic experience and went to see it again (also in Broadway) the next year !!

Talon
05-23-2012, 09:20 AM
I just recently saw "VENUS IN FUR" on Broadway...I really loved it. I found it darkly sexy, yet intelligent and humorous, as well.

Also saw Elton John's musical, "Lestat", several years ago.
This for me, was a disappointment. The characters were stiff and two-demensional...a little too "period peice". :hamactor:

Virago
02-12-2014, 04:36 PM
bumping this thread
I grew up in NYC and have in my collection a little over 200 playbills. That's one thing I miss since moving from my native land.

Soooo, just bumping this conversation so I can live vicariously through you all again :)

C0LLETTE
02-12-2014, 05:55 PM
For anyone that loves "Broadway" one of the best experiences, next to actually going to the theatre, is to visit Maria's Crisis, a tiny little piano bar on Grove St in the West Village.

You'll get to sing-a-long with any ( and I do mean ANY) show tune you can come up with. I don't think anyone has ever stumped the piano player. The place is super friendly and unpretentious.

As one review says:
“But, oh, it's heaven on earth in a dingy basement piano bar.”

Next to taking in the "East Side Tenement Tour" this is the best thing to do in NYC (after going to the theatre , of course)

homoe
01-19-2016, 06:06 PM
I recently read an excellent review of the re-vamped version of The Color Purple in the New Yorker Magazine! They couldn't say enough good things about it AND if that wasn't enough, yesterday on the View even Whoopie gave it a rave!

QueenofSmirks
01-19-2016, 07:53 PM
bumping this thread
I grew up in NYC and have in my collection a little over 200 playbills. That's one thing I miss since moving from my native land.

Soooo, just bumping this conversation so I can live vicariously through you all again :)

I lived in NYC for 5 years, and then NJ for 4, and I sure do miss the theatre as well!

easygoingfemme
01-19-2016, 09:00 PM
I recently saw both Motown, The Musical, and Matilda. Both were the Broadway cast who had traveled to a theater closer to me. Both were phenomenal. During Matilda, at one point, I felt like I was in a scene from The Wall. The lighting made everything grey and the kids were standing up on their desks on stage, fists raised in protest. I was sitting near a group of school kids in the audience who all put their fists up in air and loudly raged with them. It was *awesome*.