PDA

View Full Version : Peforming Arts Fans... what was the last show you saw?

QueenofSmirks
02-22-2015, 10:07 AM
I love performing arts, mostly theatre (plays), some ballet. What was the last performing arts event you attended?

I saw "Follies" on Friday night at Theatre Works here in AZ. I really enjoyed the story, and most of the acting. There was one main character I thought was really miscast, and it bothered me throughout the production. The choreography was really fun and well done.

Here's the excerpt from the page:

Stephen Sondheim's Epic Masterpiece

An old, dusty curtain rises to the sound of soft timpani… experience a surreal, sophisticated, compelling, heart-wrenching and epic theatrical event.

A reunion of Follies performers in a crumbling theatre sets the stage for a parade of colorful and brilliant numbers. The FOLLIES score is considered by some to be Stephen Sondheim’s greatest masterpiece, overflowing with such classic songs as “Losing My Mind,” “I’m Still Here,” “Too Many Mornings,” and “Broadway Baby.”

On its surface, FOLLIES is about a reunion of retired performers. They have come together to meet one last time in a crumbling theater on the night before it is to be torn down. On closer examination, Follies is a surreal, agonizing examination of life, theatre, and the great mystery of “the road you didn’t take.”

Music & Lyrics by: Stephen Sondheim
Book by: James Goldman

Directed by: Phillip Fazio

randrum
02-22-2015, 10:51 AM
I recently (end of January) saw a 75-min. abridged version of Macbeth at the Chicago Shakespeare Theater. Great performance, one of my favorite plays. Plus it was a really neat presentation because after the show they had a discussion with the actors where the audience could ask questions and interact with the cast.

That performance was in preparation for the show I am seeing this Thursday (Feb. 26). I'm going to see Dunsinane at the CST. Dunsinane is the sequel to Macbeth, supposedly starting exactly where Macbeth ends. It's the premier of the US tour with the National Theatre of Scotland and the Royal Shakespeare Company.

I'm super excited about this show. I've had tickets for months.

candy_coated_bitch
02-22-2015, 05:19 PM
On Thursday night I saw "Naked I: Monologues from beyond the binary" by Tobias K. Davis. One of my friends was in it so I went and I thought it was awesome! It was funny, it was emotional, it was sad, it was touching. Not all of the actors were amazing, but some were--and almost all of it affected me in one way or another.

Here's a description of the play from the web site:
"Following in the footsteps of Eve Ensler’s Vagina Monologues comes The Naked I: Monologues from Beyond the Binary. Not willing to stop at discussing women’s vaginas, The Naked I explores the bodies and experiences of transgender, gender-queer, and intersex individuals. The play, which includes monologues, duologues, and short sketches, shares stories about men with vaginas and women with penises, women born without vaginas, and a multitude of other differently-gendered people exploring their bodies and dissecting society’s assumptions. Tender and heart wrenching, deeply funny and erotic, Davis takes the idea of a monologue-based play to a new level and boldly explains and explores the land beyond ‘male’ and ‘female’."

http://tobiaskdavis.com/

Andrea
02-22-2015, 06:09 PM
I saw Jersey Boys a few months ago and loved it. The music brought back good memories of childhood.

Went to Vagina Monologues last week. Not the best one I have seen but I knew several of the people so that added to the enjoyment.

I love plays and will go see any level of production, from high school to professional, as time will allow.

My hope is to make it to Broadway some day. <sigh>

The JD
02-22-2015, 08:57 PM
Five weeks ago, I was in NYC and pretty much spent it satisfying my Broadway musical fetish. I saw the closing performance of Michael C. Hall (AKA Dexter!!) in Hedwig and the Angry Inch, and three nights later, the opening performance of John Cameron Mitchell in the same show (Oh. My. God. Best show EVER.). Also saw Mamma Mia. It was good, about what I expected for a Broadway smash hit. But sandwiched in between amazing performances of Hedwig? Almost forgettable.

I saw Kinky Boots last summer, as well as Neil Patrick Harris in Hedwig and the Angry Inch. (yep, I'm a Hedhead. Even the ushers at the Belasco Theatre recognized me the last time I was there.)

Going back to NYC in the spring to see Fun Home, the musical. It was running off Broadway last year and I missed it. Now it's coming to Broadway, and I won't miss it this time! Might even go see Hedwig again. Heh.

Oh, and why does no one dress up for theatre anymore? It's the way I show respect for the actors and all the people behind the scenes that work their butts off to bring me 2 hours of entertainment, and even the theatre itself. So sad that people show up like they're going to a movie.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/10945514_10205668576902773_387974552203179333_n.jp g?oh=e79d5bbeef291b57a9974e966e6a6b1b&oe=5596D78E&__gda__=1430967006_fbf7a172b12fe0b8138ce4a683fc26f d