PDA

View Full Version : Orange is the New Black: Season 3

*Anya*
05-28-2015, 11:33 PM
Please post Spoiler Alert and episode # in title.

Orange is the New Black!

Season 3 Discussion Starts June 12th!

Looking forward to everyone's perspectives!

:vigil:

*Anya*
06-07-2015, 04:36 PM
5 more days everyone!

:cheesy:

grenade
06-07-2015, 05:56 PM
I'm so excited!!!!

*Anya*
06-07-2015, 06:05 PM
I'm so excited!!!!

I am too!

It is so much fun to be able to go over each episode here!

I always have something new to think about when I read everyone's post!

C0LLETTE
06-07-2015, 08:15 PM
Perhaps it's been mentioned here before but in between episodes of OITNB, it's worth watching the Aussie series "Prisoner: Cell Block H", an Australian soap about the inmates at the fictional women's prison Wentworth ... The show ran from 1979 to 1986, and the follow up series is "Wentworth" ( 2013). Both are excellent. You will see a lot of "similarities" with OITNB.

Daisy Chain
06-08-2015, 01:35 PM
Perhaps it's been mentioned here before but in between episodes of OITNB, it's worth watching the Aussie series "Prisoner: Cell Block H", an Australian soap about the inmates at the fictional women's prison Wentworth ... The show ran from 1979 to 1986, and the follow up series is "Wentworth" ( 2013). Both are excellent. You will see a lot of "similarities" with OITNB.

You are right Collette,

I watched this is the 80`s long before I realised I was queer or Femme...I remember a scene with a butch called Frankie where she had been led on by an inmate who then rejected her...Frankie called her a bloody little tease. I felt so mad for Frankie and strangely drawn to her, I always adored her, I liked her roughness, swagger and attitude but also the tenderness she showed at times. It seems so obvious why now !

DC

diamondrose
06-08-2015, 03:50 PM
I am so excited about the new season!!! I only follow this show and one other show!!! I can not contain my excitement to see another season on the horizon!!

*Anya*
06-11-2015, 11:52 PM
We just watched the first episode because we did not read about it until it was pretty late this evening.

Chat tomorrow!

:)

HoldMeSteady
06-12-2015, 03:09 PM
EPISODE 1

I like the episode. The part at the end when the mother got told she wasn't going to be seeing her child anymore with no warning or conversation was especially poignant and painful. I could feel her powerlessness. I also felt the sadness when the day got cut short and all the kids had to fall to a lying down position. Balloon flying into the air. And it was nice to see Piper and Alex back together for a few minutes. And see Lea DeLaria looking appropriately scary/funny. i like Big Boo and Nicky story lines - dyke bonding and funny.

HoldMeSteady
06-12-2015, 03:20 PM
EPISODE 2

I'm feeling frustrated with the Piper storyline. Didn't she realize that's she's not Snow White in the first season. Does she have to realize that again? Or maybe it's because in actual life we do usually growth usually takes repeating? Also, for once, the sex between Piper and Alex did not feel real. Who eats pussy during angry sex?

Also, I was not happy with the scene with the scene where Daya's Mother's "Domestic Partner" took out the gun. Poverty, sexism, domestic violence - I buy. Holding a gun to a kids head for not eating his french fries seemed over the top to me.

I'm also not getting Bennett's reaction. He doesn't seem like the type to give up his baby. Is this supposed to be linked to his not throwing himself on the grenade?

Nat
06-12-2015, 09:38 PM
Boo's dad: You won't even recognize her she's so frail.

Boo: I can handle it, Pop.

Boo's dad: I don't think she can.

Boo: What, you mean the sight of her dyke daughter is gonna make her worse?

Boo's dad: Carrie, would it kill you to put on some other clothes before you see her?

Boo: Well, these are my good Chucks, Pop.

Boo's dad: You know what I mean.

Boo: Gosh. I am so fucking tired. I have been her daughter for 42 years. Now, don't you think she could have taken some of that time to work on accepting me for who I am, rather than mourning every fucking thing that I am not?

Boo's dad: I understand that whatever this is, is important to you, but it's a costume, that's all. The rest of us, we get up, put on a suit and a tie, we go to work. You think that's how I wanted to dress five days a week? No, of course not. But no one gets the privilege of being themselves all the time, Carrie. No one. Now if you want to go in there and upset her, I'm not gonna stop you. But you need to decide whether your costume is worth what it's costing you.

Boo: I have had to fight for this all my life, Dad. All my life. Strangers, girlfriends, fuck, even my own parents all asking me to be something that I am not. Do you have any idea what that feels like? Like your whole fucking existence is being denied? Like, 'Woah, you'd be better off if you were invisible.'? Yeah. I refuse to be invisible, Daddy. Not for you, not for Mom, not for anybody. So, um, I'm sorry.

*Anya*
06-12-2015, 10:20 PM
Half-way through episode 2.

Not grabbing me yet.

Feels off for some reason. We watched episode one last night.

The GF and I weren't feeling that one either.

Maybe expectations were too high, we will see how it goes.

:scarytv:

CherryWine
06-12-2015, 11:50 PM
We have watched 3 episodes. Feeling pretty high and dry, so far. I love Big Boo, so after reading Nat's post I have high hopes. I've heard Lea Delaria is going to have a bigger role this year. Not trying to be a Debbie Downer, but I hope it gets better!

Nat
06-13-2015, 12:18 PM
"Do you think that growing up with all that money was good for you?"

"in what way?"

"Like, did being a rich person make you better?"

"A lot of people expect it to fill some sort of emotional hole, and all it really does is buy stuff."

HoldMeSteady
06-13-2015, 11:01 PM
Just finished ep 7 and I finally really enjoyed an episode. One thing I like is that the flashbacks often have a theme that plays out in the rest of the episode. Can't write any more. Too tired :-)

cricket26
06-14-2015, 08:19 AM
i watched the first 3 episodes and find that pipers relationship with vause gets more dysfunctional and predictable every episode..and find myself enjoying the stories of the other characters and have cried twice already, once when nicky goes "down the hill" and once when suzanne realizes vee is dead...i am hooked...but can i also say that i really hate the theme music...just my two cents :)

Nat
06-14-2015, 12:27 PM
Just finished season 3 - I liked it.

betruetoyoursoul
06-14-2015, 12:48 PM
Well it appears many of you are way ahead of me...lol...I am getting there....We just watched episode two...I am enjoying the show so far. Wentworth on Netflix does get a bit more intense. I still look forward to what the rest of the season brings on Orange is the New Black*S....Have a great day everyone.

*Anya*
06-15-2015, 07:26 AM
Starting to grab us; episode 4 finished last night.

What kind of confuses me is that at the end of season 2, Piper was so mad at Alex Vause getting out of prison and Piper was still in; the next thing (just about) Vause is back in and they are passionate lovers again.

Angry sex at first, yes, but then they let the anger go.

How could Piper let it go so quickly? Guilt at calling Vauses' Probation Officer about the gun? Getting Vause re-arrested?

How could Vause let her anger at getting busted because of Piper, just disappear? Because she really loves Piper? It did not seem like it last season. It appeared from the flashbacks, Piper was more of a plaything to Vause.

It just did not ring true to me though it is entertainment, not real life (as my GF likes to remind me).

What do you think about that quick turn-around?

CherryWine
06-15-2015, 08:36 AM
That also struck me as strange, Anya. As did the fact that it seemed like their roles where completely reversed all of the sudden, with Alex becoming the weaker of the two.

That being said, the show did get better with each episode, in my opinion. We now only have one episode left, and I am a little sad.

imperfect_cupcake
06-15-2015, 10:44 AM
From what I understood of the relationship, Vause talked tough but was quite in love with piper. She just didn't show it and was very selfish. Same with piper. Being obsessed with how someone makes you feel emotionally - feeling love, not acting love - is often seen in relationships. Alex and piper feel passion and codependancy. Big huge druggy feelings that is extremely addictive. They can't seperate themselves from each other. Like codependant people can't do, no matter what happens. No matter what the other person does. There is anger, resentment, vendictiveness , fighting, incredible sex, making up, honeymoon, then fucking each other over again... trying to tell each other what to do and how to do it.... Seems pretty real to me lol

imperfect_cupcake
06-15-2015, 10:47 AM
Plus I like watching how prison is changing charachters, not always for the better. I like seeing the horrible side and the good side. And sometimes people act well and sometimes vicious. Seems more realistic and human. Not unidimensional TV with a moral message.

Cin
06-15-2015, 10:59 AM
It is always enjoyable for me, as a butch woman, to see other butch women... period... full stop. But of course, it is even more enjoyable to see one in the media. So much of our daily lives as butch women, through no fault of our own, and with little or no effort on our part, is about being in society's face, so it's nice to see that addressed. The episode “finger in the dyke” that focuses on Lea Delaria's character Big Boo, examines how butch woman live with the judgment that we make our own problems and if we didn't insist on looking like such bull dykes we would experience less hatred and oppression. It is always a shock to discover that who we are seems like some kind of offensive costume to the rest of the world, even to a variety of other gay people. Butch is a costume that, if we had any taste at all, we would just take off. It is no surprise that this fuels anger in butch women. It is so disturbing and frustrating because this is who we are, it is no costume, no choice we make to be or not to be. As a butch woman it is who I am, it is my heart and soul. It is society who tries to force us into masquerading as something we are not. It wouldn't be so devastatingly heart wrenching if the prize for turning your back on your own self wasn't the offer of acceptance. Society wishes us to believe, that in order to be accepted as a human being deserving of respect and deemed worthy of love, a butch woman has to trade her very self. Anyway I liked seeing that explored, at least to some degree, in that episode by a real actual butch woman playing a butch woman. Just like it's always nice to explore butch issues on a butch/femme website.

imperfect_cupcake
06-15-2015, 12:07 PM
Although boo's character creeps me out from how she behaves and some of the things that come out of her mouth, it was really nice to see her background and actually have that story. It's also nice to see other aspects of her personality.

My favourite is still poussay. And yes, I see her that way. She's very much an old fashioned type real gentle butch in my eyes. She doesn't follow rules, or "Butch codes" of behaviour. She follows her own moral compass. Which to me is the hallmark of an independent gentleman/gentledyke. I like seeing one person, once a year, on media, I actually find a bit of a dream boat.

And then you see the actress in an interview out of character wearing a ball gown and your heart sinks and mojo dies.

This why I don't have "crushes on celebs" or "think celebs are hot"
No, I think the characters they play are hot.

And it is nice to see Lea DeLaria play a butch. The character I wouldn't romantically go anywhere near, but it's bloody nice to see and a relief. And finally see that identity explored on TV.

imperfect_cupcake
06-15-2015, 12:28 PM
It's also nice to see a genderqueer too. Stella identifies herself to Piper as female, clarifying that this is only because "my options are limited," alluding to the fact that she has a non-binary gender identity.

And she is covered in tattoos.

Hot.

Gosh I get so excited over tiny crumbs of characters in genders I am attracted to.

afrcnqueen
06-15-2015, 01:47 PM
My friend and I just finished watching Season 2 again. I have been very good about not reading anything written regarding season 3 ....but it has been a challenge lol.. Anywho, we will start episode 1 tomorrow.

P.S Wentworth is a great show!!! Watched all 3 seasons of Wentworth already. I think I'm leaning more towards that being my favorite than OITNB..:police:

cinnamongrrl
06-15-2015, 04:04 PM
*NOT LOOKING*

I loveeee Orange is the New Black! I've been savoring the last of season 2 so it wouldn't feel like such a long wait for season 3...

I've been uber busy and haven't finished the last couple episodes....I have a very short day tomorrow. I think it will be a good day to get started on season 3!

:)

HoldMeSteady
06-17-2015, 10:36 AM
Totally Spoilery

It was hard for me to watch Piper become such a bitch. It was not where I thought she was headed. As Imperfect Cupcake said - it is interesting to see how jail changes people - not always for the better. However, at first, jail did seem to change Piper for the better. At the beginning of this season, she seems, again, to realize how selfish she is and she seems to care about it. Then the next thing you know, she's messing with people all over the place and cheating on Alex. However, in addition to the finding herself trajectory, there has always been the getting colder and rougher trajectory as well. And, as it was made abundantly clear, Piper was into Alex for the excitement. So as Alex became more mature, Piper became less interested.

I've also been thinking about what Anya said re: how did Piper and Alex give up their anger so quickly? One answer could be that Piper didn't - so her cheating on Alex as well as disregarding Alex's fear of the big drug dealer's revenge makes sense.

But then I've been thinking about how it really did go down in the real Piper's book. She didn't meet up with the real Alex until they were both in Chicago - at the end of Piper's sentence and for a short time (I think about 2 weeks?). She said they all did forgive each other (the real Alex's sister was there and involved too) in that short time, partly because in the awful prison system, with other more menacing people around, they had to be friends. Also, this is when Piper started to take more responsibility for her part in the crime.

Other plots:

I'm glad Poussey and SoSo became girlfriends. They have a similar past and similar sensitive personalities. It was so cool that Tasty and company stopped her from going to the psych ward.

I'm real glad Red put a pin in it.

The season definitely picked up but I didn't love it.

dykeumentary
06-22-2015, 02:44 PM
Boo's dad: You won't even recognize her she's so frail.

Boo: I can handle it, Pop.

Boo's dad: I don't think she can.

Boo: What, you mean the sight of her dyke daughter is gonna make her worse?

Boo's dad: Carrie, would it kill you to put on some other clothes before you see her?

Boo: Well, these are my good Chucks, Pop.

Boo's dad: You know what I mean.

Boo: Gosh. I am so fucking tired. I have been her daughter for 42 years. Now, don't you think she could have taken some of that time to work on accepting me for who I am, rather than mourning every fucking thing that I am not?

Boo's dad: I understand that whatever this is, is important to you, but it's a costume, that's all. The rest of us, we get up, put on a suit and a tie, we go to work. You think that's how I wanted to dress five days a week? No, of course not. But no one gets the privilege of being themselves all the time, Carrie. No one. Now if you want to go in there and upset her, I'm not gonna stop you. But you need to decide whether your costume is worth what it's costing you.

Boo: I have had to fight for this all my life, Dad. All my life. Strangers, girlfriends, fuck, even my own parents all asking me to be something that I am not. Do you have any idea what that feels like? Like your whole fucking existence is being denied? Like, 'Woah, you'd be better off if you were invisible.'? Yeah. I refuse to be invisible, Daddy. Not for you, not for Mom, not for anybody. So, um, I'm sorry.

I watched this episode last night, although I am not a loyal viewer of the series.
Maybe this was discussed elsewhere but what I noticed interested me. In this quoted interaction and the one from the character's childhood. And then the one with the evangelical bible guy at the end.

The dad seems to be asking her for a more traditional gender presentation (clothing) in the childhood sequence, and I was wondering if it would become about gender presentation. Then later at the hospital, he asks her about her gender/class presentation again. She responds about her sexuality.
The crazy bible guy at the hospital just walked into a set-up.

I thought the writing was interesting because the deLaria's character didn't handle the last 2 interactions very well at all. I wonder if the writers were showing why the character had regrets about not saying bye to her mom. Also I wonder if the average viewer will still think gender presentation is the same as sexuality.
A friend told me to watch the episode because she wanted to see I thought the butch was presented fairly. (I am clearly the AUTHOR-AH-TAY on all things butch!)
Anybody have thoughts on this?

imperfect_cupcake
06-22-2015, 02:48 PM
If it was presented fairly? Gosh. For that character, yes.
But kind of hard to say to have one person represent all of the land of Butch.

betruetoyoursoul
06-22-2015, 02:59 PM
We officially finished season 3 of Orange is the New Black. I do think the season got better as it went along. Each character grew as the season developed. Looking forward to another season next year if the show is renewed. I hope everyone is having a great day*S!

HoldMeSteady
06-23-2015, 04:32 PM
The dad seems to be asking her for a more traditional gender presentation (clothing) in the childhood sequence, and I was wondering if it would become about gender presentation. Then later at the hospital, he asks her about her gender/class presentation again. She responds about her sexuality.
The crazy bible guy at the hospital just walked into a set-up.

I thought the writing was interesting because the deLaria's character didn't handle the last 2 interactions very well at all. I wonder if the writers were showing why the character had regrets about not saying bye to her mom. Also I wonder if the average viewer will still think gender presentation is the same as sexuality.
A friend told me to watch the episode because she wanted to see I thought the butch was presented fairly. (I am clearly the AUTHOR-AH-TAY on all things butch!)
Anybody have thoughts on this?

I have mixed feelings and thoughts about this interaction. Boo could have (probably should have) worn nicer male or androgynous clothes to visit her parents at the hospital. But what does she do about her hair and piercings? And although her father gives an interesting perspective on costumes, I'm not sure they're really talking about costumes. For one thing, Boo's father didn't have to wear a dress to work. He could still maintain his gender integrity. Secondly, I think for Boo and her parents, gender and sexual orientation are bound up. Their fight about her sexual orientation has obviously gone on for years and one of the battle grounds has been Boo's gender presentation. Would her father have been okay if she had shown up in nicer masculine clothes? And wouldn't asking Boo to change her gender presentation be just as damaging as asking her to hide her sexual orientation?

Another thought which seems somehow related to this, is that I have known butches, especially years ago, who always dressed more feminine when dressing up. Probably, because of the danger, they didn't wear suits or tuxedos.

Finally, in answer to your question, I do believe that many people still think that gender and orientation is the same thing, or at least closely related. Judging, at least, from my limited personal experience, they are somewhat related. I've only met one man who feels a lot like a woman inside (who doesn't want to transition) who is heterosexual. But I've met many gay feminine men. I only know a couple of women who feel somewhat male identified (who don't want to transition) that are heterosexual, but the vast majority of the butches I meet are gay (or sometimes bi).

Just my widely ranging thoughts. I felt a bit conflicted by that episode.

dykeumentary
06-23-2015, 10:24 PM
HoldMeSteady thanks for your thoughts.
Since I don't really watch the show I didn't know if the "gender expression = sexuality" was just handled poorly by the writers or if it was Boo's chip on her shoulder.

I am happy to have this discussion because I am a butch who plays around with my gender expression - that is, I figure out what my goals in a situation are, and then express my gender accordingly. I don't shy away from a fight, and also don't miss opportunities to be with my family.
So when I saw the show, I questioned myself.

I also am quite sure that if someone said to me or to my very straight very male hetero-identified brothers and friends "here, put on this dress if you want to see your dying mother" that I and they would without hesitation wear the dress.

It's an interesting topic and it was an interesting episode.

HoldMeSteady
06-24-2015, 07:30 PM
boo has a chip on her shoulder and she regretted not seeing her mother. she also isn't that well adjusted. I'm curious how you play with your gender expression in different situations?

jools66
06-25-2015, 03:49 PM
Hi everyone
I have to say that so far in viewing season 3, I really like that boo and Pennsatucky are like talking, and just generally getting along.
Pennsatucky is so well acted, even though she a real nutter lol
But she's kinda growing on me this season.
I think she's mellowing lol
You watch she will go off the rails again.
I am also warming to boo more this season to
But where as little boo gone.
Were they just training the dog?
I have heard some spoilers, and this I am not gonna say about.
But ya just know the shits gonna hit the fan.

dykeumentary
06-28-2015, 03:44 PM
boo has a chip on her shoulder and she regretted not seeing her mother. she also isn't that well adjusted. I'm curious how you play with your gender expression in different situations?

I'll be brief so I don't derail the thread too much-
I really am a working class manual laborer (in construction). So I dress in jeans and boots and often a layer of flannel in the morning. Because sexism determines that construction is "male" job, when I dress for my job, people read that I'm dressing male. (And I really am a butch dyke, and becuase of second-hand heteronormativity, when I am dressed for my job people think I must be a self-hating woman who is trying to emulate men's clothing and jobs so they I can get with a woman.)

Isn't that hilarious people make assumptions about me and assume I have some motive behind my gender expression besides- "I'm on my way to work."

So sometimes I like to tart myself up a bit - with sequins and glitter. And sometimes I like to go all-out-mini skirt/make-up/heels. And I like to play with the intersections of class and gender- when I did drag I would sometimes dress up as a superRich man, or super-exaggerated working class guy. (I was always resentful when a drag shows the kings would perform "class" in an unexamibwd way. I express gender in whatever way I think would be most fun for me.

I prefer thoughtfulness to rigidity in every area! :pirate-steer:

Jane Bond
09-15-2015, 12:18 PM
[QUOTE=HoldMeSteady;995524]Totally Spoilery

It was hard for me to watch Piper become such a bitch.

It messed up the butch femme dynamic between her and Alex, and that Aussie butch was no match for Alex, yet Piper was so cavalier about running off with her. I know women are supposed to get hardened by prison, but Piper? With her upbringing and short time sentence, she's selling funky prison panties? Alex would think of that, not Pipes.

This is my first post here besides the "I am new and scared" one but I can talk about OITNB for hours.

I forgot-Crazy Eyes was offered sex by a fairly cute woman and acted like she was a scared virgin. But in season one she was gagging for Piper and seemed like she really loved to swirl, swirl. It stretched credulity and I like my OITNB inmates to stay in character

Orema
11-27-2015, 09:16 AM
I don't watch OITNB—causes me anxiety and it has too many damn triggers for me (no, I have not been in prison), but am listening to the Diane Rehm show and thought others may be interested in hearing Ms.Mulgrews thoughts.

Kate Mulgrew, from OITNB, on the Diane Rehm Show (https://thedianerehmshow.org/shows/2015-11-27/kate-mulgrew-born-with-teeth-rebroadcast)

Lecheloco
11-27-2015, 09:39 AM
I love Kate Mulgrew, she's my favorite Star Trek captain lol

Oitnb... I have gotten as far as eppi 3 on season 3
I just can't seem to get into this season

Orema
11-27-2015, 09:57 AM
I love Kate Mulgrew, she's my favorite Star Trek captain lol

Oitnb... I have gotten as far as eppi 3 on season 3
I just can't seem to get into this season

I hear you on Mulgrew. She's such a good and thoughtful actress. She also played the mom on the television show, The Black Donnellys (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Black_Donnellys), one the most realistic television shows written about poor Irish families living in NYC (Hell's Kitchen neighborhood). I thoroughly enjoy her acting.

storyspinner70
11-27-2015, 10:47 AM
I did not like this season...I love big boo; always have...getting her and pensatucky's back story was the best part of this season.

For full disclosure: I've hated piper from the beginning. I can't stand people that need to blame everyone else for their choices. Also, I loooooved Ruby Rose - until she was every single place I went on the internet and I got tired of hearing about how she was so hot she turned every woman who saw her gay. Just like that song they always play on the radio, I came to abhore the sight of her pretty quickly. I even blocked her name on my tumblr to try to get some respite from her. That went a long way to dulling my excitement for the season before it even started.

So those things didn't help my outlook at all, honestly. But this season just seemed - pointless. It just wasn't interesting to me this season. I was glad it was over...and considering how much I'd loved it the first two seasons, that really made me realize how unhappy I was with this season.

Frankly, I can't even remember at this point what most of it was about. And that's really really sad.

Still gonna watch next season though, and hope it's back to its former glory. :D

Lecheloco
11-27-2015, 09:47 PM
I hear you on Mulgrew. She's such a good and thoughtful actress. She also played the mom on the television show, The Black Donnellys (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Black_Donnellys), one the most realistic television shows written about poor Irish families living in NYC (Hell's Kitchen neighborhood). I thoroughly enjoy her acting.

Oh I never heard of it, will have to check it out for sure
Thanks for the info

*Anya*
11-27-2015, 10:13 PM

Really old school (me).

I remember her as Mary on the old soap opera Ryan's Hope. She was such a beauty!

girl_dee
05-03-2017, 03:53 AM
its almost time for the new season, June 2017

But if i must confess, Wentworth is my one true women's prison love!

NavyButch
05-03-2017, 05:00 AM
I can not wait for OITNB to start already!!! They were showing clips on TV last night- and that cliffhanger where my fav Dayanara has the gun trained on that officer!! This season is going to be good!!

*Anya*
05-03-2017, 07:48 AM
http://www.trbimg.com/img-58d93f00/turbine/la-et-mg-samira-wiley-lauren-morelli-20170327

Samira Wiley of "Orange Is the New Black" and Lauren Morelli, a writer for that show, are married.

Wiley -- who's now appearing in Hulu's "The Handmaid's Tale" -- and Morelli exchanged vows Saturday in a ceremony in Palm Springs, according to Martha Stewart Weddings. The women had gotten engaged at the same location in October. Wiley's parents officiated at the ceremony, where the brides both wore white designed by Christian Siriano.

The ceremony wrapped up with Montell Jordan's "This Is How We Do It," while the colorful, confetti-themed reception kicked off with Justin Bieber's "Baby," MSW said.

The couple started dating in early 2014 and walked the Emmy Awards red carpet together that August.

Morelli filed for divorce from her TV-writer husband Steve Basilone the next month. They had gotten married just months before Morelli joined the "OINTB" writing staff in 2012; the split was reportedly amicable.

While writing for the show, her first professional writing gig, Morelli "found a mouthpiece for my own desires and a glimmer of what my future could look like," she said in a May 2014 essay for Identities.mic. The essay was written about six months after she and Basilone, who'd dated for six years before tying the knot, decided to split.

"I went through it all on set," Morelli wrote. "I fell in love with a woman, and I watched my life play out on screen."

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/la-et-entertainment-news-updates-march-samira-wiley-marries-oitnb-writer-1490624105-htmlstory.html

*Anya*
08-26-2017, 08:00 AM
I overlooked this article on OITNB that touches on season 4 and season 5. It is from June, 2017.

It is worth reading if you are caught up with all seasons:

Orange Is the New Black stars: 'I couldn't watch. I had to turn away'

As the prison drama returns, are its stars – Taystee, Crazy Eyes and Sophia – ambassadors for a new socially aware TV blackness or participants in unwatchable ‘trauma porn’?

By Charlie Brinkhurst-Cuff

Monday 5 June 2017 04.00 EDT Last modified on Friday 18 August 2017 11.58 EDT

Last summer, the Black Lives Matter movement had infiltrated national and international consciousnesses. Seeping out of the heartlands of the United States, global protests were taking place in France, Brazil, South Africa, Australia and the UK. It would be easy to dismiss the impact that Orange Is the New Black had on this narrative as a fictional TV show about a women’s prison called Litchfield.

But when season four broadcast, the show seemed to capture an essence of a fractious political climate where black people were reawakening to the crimes committed against them. And this was thanks to the fact that, at its core, OITNB is a show that has always worked to redefine and explore what it means to be black on screen. This is apt considering the preponderance of black people in US prisons: 30% of female prisoners are African American.

Over its run, OITNB has helped normalise a new kind of “socially aware” blackness on TV. Since the second season, when Piper Chapman’s (Taylor Schilling) narrative began to conspicuously fade into the background, black characters such as Tasha “Taystee” Jefferson, Suzanne “Crazy Eyes” Warren, Sophia Burset, “Black Cindy” Hayes and Poussey Washington have taken centre stage.

Despite the tragedy of their situation, in OITNB the black characters are, in the main, full-bodied, refreshing and complex. They are given the space to develop by both falling into and breaking stereotypes about black women.

Taystee (Danielle Brooks) is a good example of this. First introduced as a bouncy, brash joker who steals a few strands of Piper’s blond hair to jazz up her curls, Taystee gradually blossoms into a woman who not only knows her worth, but also has a deep understanding of institutional racism and the power of her natural, sometimes joyful leadership. “I think the reason that she goes from agreeing with the system to not is because of the corruption of the system,” Brooks says over the phone. “She gets enough strength to say: ‘The system is broken and it’s made out of sand. It’s crumbling and it’s being knocked down.’ But she wants to rebuild it and build a strong foundation out of bricks for Litchfield, because it’s her home.”

The “corruption” Brooks is referencing here is the death of Taystee’s best friend Poussey (Samira Wiley) – who is accidentally killed by a prison officer during a peaceful protest in season four – and the subsequent downplaying of it by the prison authorities. After this, Taystee goes from being sceptical of social justice to having an implicit understanding of its importance. “You ain’t never gonna change that shit,” she tells Sophia (Laverne Cox) in the first season about access to healthcare and basic human rights in prison, which she deems as “white people politics”. But in season five – spoilers ahead! – she embodies the role of an activist and campaigner, writing up a list of demands as the prisoners hold guards to ransom during a riot and speaking to the press, who have finally taken an interest in what’s happening at Litchfield thanks to celebrity prisoner Judy King being captured on camera trussed up to a makeshift crucifix (let’s not get into that).

Flanked by the Black Girls of Litchfield, she has the strength to tell the press that Judy King will not be making a statement: “Judy King cannot speak for the inmates of this prison,” she says to an onslaught of paparazzi and news reporters. “Moments after our friend Poussey Washington was murdered by a guard, Judy King was packing her bags to go home on early release. Because she’s rich and white and powerful. Our fight is not with Judy King; our fight is with a system that don’t give a damn about poor people. And brown people. And poor, brown people.” Instead of letting Judy hijack the narrative, Taystee is able to subvert Judy’s white privilege to find her voice.

“It was so much more powerful to have Taystee speak for her people,” says Brooks. “To let them know: ‘I’m here, and I hear you and I’m with you; I’m one of you.’ I feel like that’s what we do every day as actors in OITNB. We didn’t know we were going to take on this responsibility. I’m very much like Taystee in that way; I realised I had a voice, too.” It’s a striking monologue, and while TV shows such as Empire, Black-ish and New Girl have all attempted to offer up fictional commentary on Black Lives Matter, it’s only OITNB that has pulled it off with a semblance of poise that reflects the fact that black women have been at the forefront of the movement since its inception.

Despite this, the show was criticised last season for its depiction of black characters whose storylines revolved around inmate-driven racial conflicts. Some went as far to describe it as “trauma porn”: exploiting black struggles for white audiences. It seemed pertinent that nearly 90% of the OITNB writers are white (according to Fusion), considering Poussey’s death and the racial slurs that were chucked around with startling lightness last season.

Cast members disagree with these criticisms. “I don’t think the show was too traumatic,” says Uzo Aduba, who plays Crazy Eyes, “because we were having a conversation here in this country at the time where we weren’t fully addressing police brutality and racism. It felt like someone else’s problem. It was impossible for people watching to change the channel as quickly as, say, when it’s being depicted on the news.”

Brooks agrees, explaining that she thinks viewers were able to connect the storyline of Poussey with real-life incidents of police brutality. “I organised for the cast of Orange Is the New Black to march for Eric Garner in New York City. Maybe about 10, 15 of us went out there,” she says. Nevertheless, both Aduba and Brooks, along with Laverne Cox, who plays Sophia Burset, admit to finding the episode where Poussey dies almost too painful to watch.

“We were all on stage in tears at a panel, talking about that moment from the show,” says Cox. “They screened that last episode at the end [of the panel] and I couldn’t watch. I just got emotional so I had to turn away.” Her perspective on black trauma within OITNB is particularly interesting as Sophia arguably has the most sustained traumatic narrative in the whole of the show.

She is the only trans woman depicted and as well as struggling to retain access to her hormone medication in the first season, by the end of season four she has been subject to transphobic abuse, beaten up, put in solitary confinement for months and has attempted suicide. This has been another criticism levelled at the show: couldn’t Sophia just catch a break?

“I mean, prison’s rough for trans women,” says Cox. “And I think the ways in which race plays itself out on our show is really layered and complicated. What I love about the show is how it’s sparked a lot of conversations about race, about mass incarceration, about gender and sexuality and diversity and casting and diverse body types and age.”

Cox acknowledges that OITNB has been particularly groundbreaking thanks, in part, to its depiction of black characters. “We were the first streaming show with all these women of all different backgrounds and shapes and sizes and we were successful. [Because of that] I think the landscape begins to open up. The industry understands that people will still tune in and watch if the stories are compelling. But is there more work that needs to be done, to hire more actors who look like the world around us? Absolutely.”

Like Cox, Aduba says her aim was to portray her character, Crazy Eyes, as honestly as she could. A character who is black, mentally ill and hasn’t been swallowed up by their predicament is a rarity on TV. “I hope that the conversation on mental health is eventually treated as seriously as any other illness,” she says. “No one would ever laugh at someone battling cancer. We would support them and try to find every remedy that we can and treatment,” she says. “I don’t believe mental health is given the same level of care, particularly within minority communities. It’s still long from the place of being addressed.”

In Orange Is the New Black, blackness is not usually silenced without cause; it is given a platform to be explored. And that’s a powerful thing to have on our screens

Season five of Orange Is the New Black will stream on 9 June, 2017, on Netflix.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2017/jun/05/orange-is-the-new-black-stars-taystee-crazy-eyes-sophia