PDA

View Full Version : OUTDOOR LIFE

mountainbikedyke
01-30-2010, 06:44 PM
Hey there!

Any other outdoor types on here?

Mountain biking, fishing, hunting, kayaking, camping, whatever it is.......

Let's talk about it!

Blade
01-30-2010, 06:53 PM
sure we have some camping and fishing folks here for sure! I know I can't wait for the spring thaw so I can go do both without freezing to death. Where does everyone like to camp? how do you camp? How primitive will you get or do you get? What do you eat? Where do you get it from?

mountainbikedyke
01-30-2010, 07:00 PM
Hey Blade!

I've camped every imaginable way- from backpacking miles into the AT trail, to just tent camping in a non-primitive site.

Depending upon the camping trip, the food varies. I'll always grill veggies, along with the catch of the day.

Any others in the Nashville area or surrounding states?

Darth Denkay
01-31-2010, 06:55 PM
I'm totally shocked that you would start a thread like this... ;)

One of the reasons I can't wait to move east is so I can get back into the outdoors. Kayaking, camping, spelunking, hiking, climbing...

violaine
01-31-2010, 08:54 PM
<3 <3 <3 John Muir <3 <3 <3

an awesome naturalist.

i like many of his philosophies, and i, too, would carry oats and nuts on 25 mile hikes, talk to plants and boulders along the way. he was made of total fearlessness experiencing all of the elements, animals, topography, and so on.

http://www.library.wisc.edu/etext/WIReader/WER0148.html

Fancy
03-28-2010, 08:04 PM
Anything to be outside is a good thing!
Now that the weather is warming a bit we've been out hiking and geocaching again, and of course, there's always the dog walks.
I'm looking forward to my youngest getting off training wheels this year, so our bike riding excursions will expand!

mountainbikedyke
03-29-2010, 04:06 PM
What are your outdoor plans for the week and weekend?

mountainbikedyke
03-29-2010, 04:09 PM
The weather here in Nashville is awesome today, and is only going to get better!

I ran the trail near work at lunch today and will hopefully be able to all week! This weekend I have some outdoor freelance work to do, but nothing fun!

I'm planning to kayak fish in the next few weekends and may try to camp at the end of the month...

Sachita
03-29-2010, 04:18 PM
I love it all and am having a serious hankering for some camping and fishing. I just cant decide if I'll go west to the blue ridge or east to the ocean and outer banks.

JakeTulane
03-29-2010, 04:43 PM
I too am a huge fan of the outdoors. I camp (My family calls Me the Camping King).. to backpacking (I did a backwoods backpacking hike at Yellowstone).. I fish.. freshwater and learned how to fly rod as well. I have a serious camping and fishing bug going on too. I would have to say the camping I have enjoyed the most has been the total roughing it...such as you would do on Federal owned land. Where you can pitch a tent anywhere you want.. and you pack in and pack out (leave no trace).

As I mentioned in the fishing thread - our season opens this Thursday and I already have plans to drop a line that evening if I am not too tired from work. If so, I will definately go this weekend.

Sachita
03-29-2010, 05:00 PM
I too am a huge fan of the outdoors. I camp (My family calls Me the Camping King).. to backpacking (I did a backwoods backpacking hike at Yellowstone).. I fish.. freshwater and learned how to fly rod as well. I have a serious camping and fishing bug going on too. I would have to say the camping I have enjoyed the most has been the total roughing it...such as you would do on Federal owned land. Where you can pitch a tent anywhere you want.. and you pack in and pack out (leave no trace).

As I mentioned in the fishing thread - our season opens this Thursday and I already have plans to drop a line that evening if I am not too tired from work. If so, I will definately go this weekend.

well if you catch too many of those trout pack a few on dry ice and ship them down here.

mountainbikedyke
03-29-2010, 05:03 PM

I'm having some serious cabin fever! It's about time to get some outdoor activities organized! Camping :nerd:

JakeTulane
03-29-2010, 05:10 PM
well if you catch too many of those trout pack a few on dry ice and ship them down here.

pack them on ice and ship them??? I would bring them to you.. then we could grill them..

*now My mouth is watering*

:bbq:

JakeTulane
03-29-2010, 05:13 PM
I'm having some serious cabin fever! It's about time to get some outdoor activities organized! Camping :nerd:

I agree mountain.. we are supposed to have temps in the 70's starting this Thursday.. it is seriously going to make Me want to get out My gear and get to camping and fishing. I have all My fishing rods out here in the livingroom now and will be going over them all to make sure the lines are good, etc. That is just going to make the "fever" worse.

Of course, I have to be responsible and work.

:accountant:

mountainbikedyke
03-29-2010, 05:13 PM
Mmm, fresh fish cooked over charcoal, grilled acorn squash and corn, and a beer that's been chilling in the cooler all day! Simple and so good!

Sachita
03-29-2010, 05:15 PM
pack them on ice and ship them??? I would bring them to you.. then we could grill them..

*now My mouth is watering*

:bbq:

I like to wrap fish in banana leaves and grill or steam. Especially trout. Squeeze a little key lime, add some shallots, little spice and some pineapple sage leaves. Of course my banana tree got really zapped this past winter and I have to wait for it to come back around. :(

Sachita
03-29-2010, 05:17 PM
Mmm, fresh fish cooked over charcoal, grilled acorn squash and corn, and a beer that's been chilling in the cooler all day! Simple and so good!

Oh damn you're not making it easy are you? Its bad enough we're all going through withdrawals and now you wanna make us hungry too?

mountainbikedyke
03-30-2010, 07:18 AM
Good morning all you sexy outdoor types! We had the best sunset last night! How about y'all?

JakeTulane
03-30-2010, 07:21 AM
Good morning all you sexy outdoor types! We had the best sunset last night! How about y'all?

Good Morning mountain. One has to love a good sunset. It is cool here today.. however, we are supposed to be back in the 70 degree range by tomorrow.. just in time for opening day. Although I do not mind the cooler temps (easier to sleep in)... just can not deal with the bitter cold.

Hope you have a peaceful and productive day.

morningstar55
03-30-2010, 09:08 AM
morning outdoor lovers
i love the outdoors, camping..... fishing. u name it...
i use to live in warsaw NY .. in a awsome a frame house where the woods came to my bk door... seriously they did... it was always shady on the bk door of the house.. LOL which was also the main entrance , this place over looked a huge pond, ........
i invited dressyfemme and her Max fishing there once they had a field day , the fish were biting like crazy...lol
there were always deer to watch, fox, turkeys, even an otter ..
it sits on 20 acres.. would of made a awsome retreat, camp type place for the queer family for sure..... i also had ideas for artist work shops.for anyone.,.its hiddin from the road..has miles and miles of trails all thru the woods people hunt on them, get maple sap on them, dirt bike ride on them, horse ride, or just hike. i miss that place.. it was for sale a few times.... sometimes i wonder what became of it.
i bought up a couple of walking sticks..... i have one for myself. but these 2 i think i may paint something on them.. sell them or gift them out.. who knows.. they are nice looking all natural loking walking sticks.. got a good price on them....... wish i knew someone whom liked to work with wood and make some up, for me to paint a deisgn on them could make some good bucks at some festivals. :)
anyways...... nough of my rambling...... nice idea :dimbulb:or a thread :DMountain dykeiee poohss :)

btw....... Dressyfemme and Her Max..have a gay fishing group in the Rochester area.. look them up if anyone is going to be in the area. :)

Medusa
03-30-2010, 09:24 AM
Jack and I both love to fish (catch and release only!) and one of my goals this year is to lose enough weight so that I can be more mobile than I am.

I want to be able to climb Pinnacle mountain or run in the Susan G Komen in October. I could probably do it now but not without some serious strokage.

Anything to be outdoors in the sunshine and breeze! WOOT!

I would love it if we could get a camper trailer again. We had a blast taking it out to the lake and grilling and such.

dixie
03-30-2010, 09:37 AM
I love the outdoors! I get laughed at because I keep a tent, screen room, and foldup camp chairs in my truck or car year round. Ya never know when that urge is gonna hit! lol

I live in Western North Carolina, so I drive to Cherokee and hop on the Parkway. I will camp and hike my way from Cherokee up to the Shenendoah Valley in Virginia. It's so beautiful up there. I especially like hiking waterfalls.

I will go primitive if I have to, but I do prefer that there is a bathroom somewhere!! lol I usually load up coolers full of stuff, because I love charcoal grilling. Other than that, yes, I will throw a hotdog on a stick over an open fire. They just seem to taste better that way! lol I also take my Coleman stove and some skillets, for pancakes and bacon/sausage in the mornings. I guess I am a bit spoiled, even when camping! lol

I'm a bit of an amateur photog who specializes in nature photography, so I'm always in the woods, even if it's just up in the hills behind my house.

There's just nothing better than being on a trail on a warm breezy day...

mountainbikedyke
03-30-2010, 10:59 AM
I would love to get a camping trip organized for those of us here in the South... I'd like to get over to Arkansas a little more often. I love the Heber Springs area!

Sachita
03-30-2010, 12:02 PM
I think NYS is by far one of the prettiest states in the US or at least where I have traveled. I havent been many places out west other then CA and OR.

I lived in NY for years. If the winters were more mild and not as long I would move back. I miss the gorges, streams, lakes, orchards, waterfalls and the people are tolerant. Not sugary and sweet like the south but more accepting and basically dont give a shit.

Darth Denkay
03-30-2010, 06:55 PM
Let me clarify...

Yes, there are outdoors in TN - middle and east. Here in west, not so much. Now, we've got several nice parks so hiking can be done. But I want the mountains, the rivers, the forests, the caves, of East TN.

I'm totally shocked that you would start a thread like this... ;)

One of the reasons I can't wait to move east is so I can get back into the outdoors. Kayaking, camping, spelunking, hiking, climbing...

Boots13
03-30-2010, 07:40 PM
I dont have much experience camping on the east coast, although I did enjoy some fabulous trail runs in Massachusetts (Goat Peak?) and also in Connecticut.

But the Northwest and Alaska...now THAT'S a different story :)

I've been getting the itch for some fishing too !

Fancy
03-31-2010, 06:54 AM
I couldn't agree with you more!

Speaking of NY, we are having awesome Spring weather for the next several days. I can't wait to take a long hike and shake off the stress of the week.

:goodpost:

I think NYS is by far one of the prettiest states in the US or at least where I have traveled. I havent been many places out west other then CA and OR.

I lived in NY for years. If the winters were more mild and not as long I would move back. I miss the gorges, streams, lakes, orchards, waterfalls and the people are tolerant. Not sugary and sweet like the south but more accepting and basically dont give a shit.

JakeTulane
04-01-2010, 02:23 PM
Well it has arrived.. the first day of Fishing is here. I just got home from work.. but before I came home I took a drive up the road along the creek here.. and it is just packed with fisher-people.. also the weather has cooperated. .and we are at 84 degrees right now.

I am working a half day tomorrow.. and My plan after that is to put the pole in the water..

I hope everyone on the thread... is enjoying the outdoors today in some form or another.

Fancy
04-03-2010, 07:31 AM
Just about to go on a long hike today and hope to find a few geocaches in the process. The weather is awesome!

:byebye:

JakeTulane
04-03-2010, 07:38 AM
Just about to go on a long hike today and hope to find a few geocaches in the process. The weather is awesome!

:byebye:

Come get Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. *laughs*.. you have to let us know later.. what you came across.

I on the other hand.. after doing some errands this morning.. will be heading out to do some fishing. Hopefully I will come back with a "it was THIS big" story.. *laughs*

Everyone get outdoors today.. it is a beautiful day.

mountainbikedyke
04-03-2010, 07:55 AM
Hey y'all! I hope you have a great day doing something outside. Raining here today and was supposed to start a freelance job, but that may not happen now. I guess I'll HAVE to go hit a trail for two...

Boots13
04-03-2010, 09:26 AM
Its cold, overcast, windy, the ground is soaked from the
torrential downpour we had yesterday...downed trees and limbs everywhere!

Yep, another Summer day in Seattle.

I'm thinking a trail run or hike if the wind doesnt pick up again. The north end got hit with a 62 mph wind yesterday. Mother Nature sneezed...

Fancy
04-04-2010, 06:43 AM
We definitely need to come your way during one of our day trips. I bet there are even some geocaches near your favorite fishing spots!

Yesterday consisted of 1.5-2 miles on and around the Erie canal tow path, and two out of three caches found.

Today, even though it's a little cooler looks to be just as nice. I hope to get my "chores" done so I can go out and play in the yard.

Happy Easter & Happy Spring!

:bunchflowers:

Come get Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. *laughs*.. you have to let us know later.. what you came across.

I on the other hand.. after doing some errands this morning.. will be heading out to do some fishing. Hopefully I will come back with a "it was THIS big" story.. *laughs*

Everyone get outdoors today.. it is a beautiful day.

Sachita
04-04-2010, 07:32 AM
The temp hit 90 the other day here in southern va. I am dying to get out in it. I've been bogged down with all inds of stuff which is why I havent been around. I/m a week behind in my garden too. :(

But I'm thinking about taking the kayak out for a few hours. I hope the water has warmed up enough. I dont normally go off out in the lakes alone but since its a holiday I'm sure tons of people will be out. Otherwise I gotta kidnap my sister.

I'm hoping to go to NY camping first wee in May but I'm not sure i can get someone to watch my critters. This is always a pain.

Rockinonahigh
04-04-2010, 11:34 AM
I would love to be going on a hikeing / camping or fishing trip..but its hard to go with a screwy back and nobody else wants to go unlless its a camp ground that had cabins..sissys.

JakeTulane
04-04-2010, 11:39 AM
Yesterday was a fruitful day... I caught two rainbow trout.. both about 6lbs or so.. !! I was surprised that I landed them because there are so many people out there fishing. For Me, it is more the peaceful meditative feeling that I like when fishing.. than the catch itself. Most times I catch and release.. however, normally My first catch of the season I will keep.

Today is another gorgeous day.. and before I go to Easter dinner at My Mom's.. I am going to get all of My camping gear around.. get it sorted.. and see if there is anything I need to replace or just add to.. and then when the time comes.. I will be ready to just head out into the woods..

I hope everyone is enjoying the day.

Sachita
04-06-2010, 12:39 PM
Yesterday was a fruitful day... I caught two rainbow trout.. both about 6lbs or so.. !! I was surprised that I landed them because there are so many people out there fishing. For Me, it is more the peaceful meditative feeling that I like when fishing.. than the catch itself. Most times I catch and release.. however, normally My first catch of the season I will keep.

Today is another gorgeous day.. and before I go to Easter dinner at My Mom's.. I am going to get all of My camping gear around.. get it sorted.. and see if there is anything I need to replace or just add to.. and then when the time comes.. I will be ready to just head out into the woods..

I hope everyone is enjoying the day.

6 lb Rainbow Trout???? thats a very nice catch indeed!

SF_Boi
04-06-2010, 01:36 PM
Hey count me in!! I love being out in nature. I really love riding my mountain bike, fishing, hiking with my dogs, camping, deep sea fishing trips,surfing, boogie boarding, and hiking.

Thanks for the tread.

Fancy
05-13-2010, 08:16 PM
This weekend is the local Lilac Festival, and the weather looks to be awesome. I'll be loading up a bike and a camera to head off to the park! It's a hilly park and will make for fun riding. :cheesy:

kannon
07-06-2011, 09:51 PM
I love all outdoor activities.

Sports.

Camping.

Kayaking

mountain biking

surfing

skiing

I want to go on a mountain biking trek to Franklin mountains during the school break. I know it's going to be hot as hell. Maybe some early morning biking then kicking it in El Paso during the day.

Anyone from El Paso or close by want to get into some outdoor fun?

T4Texas
07-06-2011, 10:56 PM
I love to camp and have the tent and all the equipment. A large group of us used to go to the hill country several times a year to this wonderful private campground on 600 acres called Little Arkansas. You could float in the river, have open fires and relax to your heart's content...all without a huge crowd of people. I have also hiked to the Rim at Big Bend park where you can look over hundreds of miles of desert below and been to many of the major national parks such as Yellowstone, Glacier, Yosemite, the Grand Canyon, and rafted on the Rio Grande. Theres nothing like being out under the stars at night with a blazing fire and the people you love.

Hollylane
07-08-2012, 11:28 AM
http://lnt.org/sites/default/files/7Principles.png (http://lnt.org/learn/7-principles) <--Linky

Sachita
07-08-2012, 11:52 AM
Hollylane I'm glad you bumped this.

I live close to one of the greatest outdoor areas "The Blue Ridge Mountains"/ I'm planning a primitive camping trip to Grayson Highlands to go kayaking, trout fishing and watch wild ponies. I try and take a little as possible when I camp but also want some comforts.

stonewalldog
07-08-2012, 03:32 PM
I went mountain biking on the 4th. OMG! We went too far too fast. I paid for it the next day. It was fun tho!

cinnamongrrl
07-08-2012, 03:50 PM
I loveee anything outdoors :) Im wanting to try mountain biking this year....i know it will get me further distance wise than just hiking...im also going to try kayaking....im a water baby despite my fire sign....anyone who wants to read excellent books by an amazing naturalist/biologist Bernd Heinrich is just an amazing writer....just my humble opinion. :)

Teddybear
07-08-2012, 03:51 PM
Finally found a girl who loves the outdoors like i do

we have been camping already and it was AWESOME

hoping to start hiking with her this week

and we are going to take lesson to learn to kayak together

I love the outdoors and find im at peace there always have been sometimes i think i am like a century or 2 too late but then again i LOVE air conditioning on hot days

mountainbikedyke
07-08-2012, 06:13 PM
Hey y'all...

Thanks for bumping the thread.

Is there anyone who would be interested in doing a group camp trip in late September/early October?

I live in Nashville, TN and would be willing to drive to 3-4 hours to meet up with others for a long weekend.

Lemme know what you think.

Sachita
07-10-2012, 05:26 AM
I'm always open for anything outdoors in the mid-Atlantic region especially interested in mountains, fishing, camping. I'm located in Southern VA.

Prudence
07-10-2012, 05:56 AM
Mother Nature here. If its outdoors, its for me. Anyone do any white water rafting? If not.. put it on your bucket list.. there is nothing like it. How does a group trip down the Ocoee sound? The first two weeks of October would be out for me.. Making the yearly pilgrimage to the Smokey Mountains. I had made other plans for the season but those changed. So off to the Mountains I go. YAY.. I get all warm and fuzzy just thinking about it.

mountainbikedyke
07-15-2012, 07:05 AM
I'm always open for anything outdoors in the mid-Atlantic region especially interested in mountains, fishing, camping. I'm located in Southern VA.

Hey there. How many hours from Nashville are you?

Sachita
07-15-2012, 07:08 AM
Hey there. How many hours from Nashville are you?

8 hours- why? are you guys planning something over there? No white water for me. lol I like things that move slow.

are ya'all getting any rain over there?

we should plan something this fall in the Blue Ridge or mountains somewhere

DapperButch
07-15-2012, 07:11 AM
Hollylane I'm glad you bumped this.

I live close to one of the greatest outdoor areas "The Blue Ridge Mountains"/ I'm planning a primitive camping trip to Grayson Highlands to go kayaking, trout fishing and watch wild ponies. I try and take a little as possible when I camp but also want some comforts.

tantalizing and I went to Shenadoah National Park for a few days last month. We were looking for a beautiful place to take the convertible and a place ot hike. Shenadoah was perfect. We hope to head further down and enjoy the Blue Ridge Mountains next year. That was the original plan, but we would have had to take too much time off from work and had other things we wanted to use our vacation time for this summer.

You are damn lucky you live there!

mountainbikedyke
07-15-2012, 07:13 AM
8 hours- why? are you guys planning something over there? No white water for me. lol I like things that move slow.

are ya'all getting any rain over there?

we should plan something this fall in the Blue Ridge or mountains somewhere

Not necessarily, but we could if there are enough people in the area who would want to camp/get together. We'd be willing to drive 4 hours and do a "meet in the middle" sort of thing...

DapperButch
07-15-2012, 07:13 AM
Mother Nature here. If its outdoors, its for me. Anyone do any white water rafting? If not.. put it on your bucket list.. there is nothing like it. How does a group trip down the Ocoee sound? The first two weeks of October would be out for me.. Making the yearly pilgrimage to the Smokey Mountains. I had made other plans for the season but those changed. So off to the Mountains I go. YAY.. I get all warm and fuzzy just thinking about it.

Yes, love white water rafting. I wish I had access closer, but have to drive a few hours.

Sachita
07-15-2012, 07:25 AM
Not necessarily, but we could if there are enough people in the area who would want to camp/get together. We'd be willing to drive 4 hours and do a "meet in the middle" sort of thing...

Ok that sounds good. I don't see why we couldn't plan something.

girl_dee
07-15-2012, 01:45 PM
avid fisherfemme here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cinnamongrrl
04-21-2013, 03:37 AM
I'm beyond excited that winter has left us and the time for outdoor activities is upon us....

I'm looking forward to heaps of camping....we got a pop up last fall (yes it's cheating, but I like that rain can't deter a camping trip with one!)

I can't WAIT to try out my new kayak...(first ever) and do some fishing as well. I'm hoping to take a workshop on fly fishing at L.L. Bean since I was never taught that lovely art...

I aim to start mountain biking this year...been years since I've even been on a bike :| We will see how that evolves..

And of COURSE...I will be hiking every day I possibly can...before work, and on days off. My goal is to be in the woods as much as possible this year. :)

:moonstars: