PDA

View Full Version : Great food for those who hate to cook, lack experience or time, or just like easy stuff

iamkeri1
01-30-2010, 11:49 PM
I have been posting on threads where there are some yummy recipes for us all to share, but some of them have tons of ingredients, and frankly, I don't want to work that hard. Most of the recipes I use (what am I talking about - I don't use recipes - I just throw things in the pot!) are very simple and have few ingredients. This thread will be for food that you can prepare quickly, or just leave alone once it has started cooking, or that maybe doesn't get cooked at all.

This is a snack my kids love, but I invented it as something quick to serve to dates after a night on the town back when I was a young Femme.

Ingredients for each treat
1 slice of bread
1 slice of bologna (make some one inch cuts around the
outside to keep it from curling)
1 slice of a medium sized ripe tomato
1 slice of the white stringy cheese of your choice.

Assembly:
bread on bottom,
slice of bologna on top,
slice of tomato on top of that,
and finally the cheese.

Sprinkle on a little paprika, or cajon spice if you like, and stick in your toaster oven. Toast until cheese melts - that takes about the same time as it takes to toast a slice of bread. Variations are endless - it works especially well with cappicola, ham, or genoa salami.

iamkeri1
01-31-2010, 12:01 AM
How could I have forgotten my favorite food, and the simplest of all meals? I was an adult before I started likeing spaghetti sauce. As a child my mother always fixed me a separate bowl without sauce - with a generous serving of butter (actually I prefer margarine)

Buttered Spaghetti

Boil about 3 quarts of water. Add about 1/4 lb spaghetti noodles; boil till "al dente" (cooked, but firm.) Drain it (I use a colander to avoid burning myself.)Put it in bowls (this will serve two people.) Add as much butter, salt and pepper as you like and start eating. Hubby liked it with chunks of processed cheese melted into it (one minute in the microwave). Several of my kids like it tossed with parmesan cheese. Me, I'm a purist - I just like it with butter.
Smooches,
Keri

Andrew, Jr.
01-31-2010, 10:51 AM
Hi Keri,

There is a cookbook that is 1,2, & 3 ingrediants only. Also, if you go online you can pull up some of these online. Rosie does this alot. I am on a special diet because of my kidney disease. Everything is going topsy turvey for me now. But for you and your kids, I would check out the crockpot receipes as well.

Also, my Grandmother made spaghetti the same way you do! That sure did bring back some good memories! Thank you for posting that.

Love,
Andrew
:pipe:

Linus
01-31-2010, 10:57 AM
I'll 2nd crockpot recipes. They are the easiest things to make. Basically, fill the crockpot early in the morning, set it to low-med and let it cook happily on it's own throughout the day. By dinnertime, it's ready.

I usually just search online for easy stuff.. http://busycooks.about.com/od/favoritecrockpotrecipes/a/favoritecrockpo.htm

Blade
01-31-2010, 10:59 AM
OK I can do this too.

1 box elbow mac boiled
3 boiled eggs cut up
1 can small early peas

mayo to taste
vinegar to taste
celery salt, salt and pepper to taste
I also use garlic or garlic salt.

Yummy snack
You can put cubed ham, cubed cheese or olives or cherry maters or about anything else in there you like. At any rate it only takes as long as it takes the elbow mac to cook to prepare

Abigail Crabby
01-31-2010, 11:13 AM
I like to cook

there are some things I shouldn't ever cook - fried potatos for one lol

but others I excel at :)

I workd 10 - 7 and I get hungry for something good - so I googled easy receipes and found a site dedicated to the hungry, and short on time college student lol

Here's a receipe I've tried and it worked well.

Oven Fried Chicken

Better than the Colonel's own!!! And you don't have to use all that grease to get crispy chicken-just the right topping will do. Wash and skin chicken. Beat one egg in a small bowl. Add spices to the egg mixture. Place bread crumbs in a plastic bag-that's right, a plastic bag. Dip each chicken piece in the egg mixture, then place chicken into the plastic bag. Shake the bag until the chicken is covered with bread crumbs. Bake at 350 for 45 min.

The_Lady_Snow
01-31-2010, 11:32 AM
Rip bag open with teeth...

Boil water...

Do not watch it boil, cause it will piss you off

add noodles...

Kick boy around

add secret season Ramen spices

enjoy feet propped on boy..

A nice orange kool aid goes good with this tasty treat

Blade
01-31-2010, 11:32 AM
any meat in the oven is basically set it and forget it LOL.

I use country ribs, you know the thick ones w/wout bones
cup of water in a pyrex dish pour over BBQ sauce
350 degrees for about an hour or until tender.

Cube steak beef/deer
pyrex dish cream of mushroom soup or soup of choice
350 until done serve with rice or mashed taters

stew meat beef/deer or a london broil roast cut in half
any soup, best is onion soup or cream of mushroom or just regular brown gravy mix. Throw it in the crock pot with some water. Cook until done. If you use brown gravy or just use thickening put your veggies in there too.

Did I put this in the right thread?

Abigail Crabby
01-31-2010, 11:42 AM
any meat in the oven is basically set it and forget it LOL.

I use country ribs, you know the thick ones w/wout bones
cup of water in a pyrex dish pour over BBQ sauce
350 degrees for about an hour or until tender.

Cube steak beef/deer
pyrex dish cream of mushroom soup or soup of choice
350 until done serve with rice or mashed taters

stew meat beef/deer or a london broil roast cut in half
any soup, best is onion soup or cream of mushroom or just regular brown gravy mix. Throw it in the crock pot with some water. Cook until done. If you use brown gravy or just use thickening put your veggies in there too.

Did I put this in the right thread?

You cook Bambi?

:crybaby:

Blade
01-31-2010, 12:10 PM
You cook Bambi?

:crybaby:

umm no Ma'am ya don't kill anything in spots or a doe traveling with a fawn still in spots.

morningstar55
01-31-2010, 12:34 PM
how about....... Applebees to go.........
there menu is on line .. and u can find a location near you.

http://www.applebees.com/

Abigail Crabby
01-31-2010, 12:36 PM
umm no Ma'am ya don't kill anything in spots or a doe traveling with a fawn still in spots.

Ok - phew I was totally aghast lol

and no bunnies? right? no lil thumpers?

Blade
01-31-2010, 01:00 PM
Ok - phew I was totally aghast lol

and no bunnies? right? no lil thumpers?

umm umm ummm well not as long as I can afford to buy some other meet. But yes I have hunted dressed and eaten bunnies. theys good too, fried up and gravy poured over the top yummmm good stuff. But this is an easy thread and having to hunt dress and cook it up aint easy

Abigail Crabby
01-31-2010, 01:19 PM
~ 1 -2 rabbits, cut into pieces
~ 3 - 4 tbsp butter
~ flour
~ seasoning salt
Remove all bones and tendons from the rabbit. Rinse well.

Spread the meat onto a cutting board. Cover with plastic wrap and beat with a meat mallet to tenderize and flatten.

Melt the butter in a large skillet.

Dredge the meat pieces in flour then add to the skillet.

Season to taste with seasoning salt.

Cook until lightly browned. Flip and brown other side.

Cover for a few minutes.

Do not overcook! Rabbit is done when you cut into it and don’t see blood.

Serve and enjoy.

Sachita
01-31-2010, 01:39 PM
OMG you guys are funny. I think hating to cook is one thing. Lack of time isnt. There's always time to fix "something". What about your health? :::spank:::

Ok listen up, this is the list I give my niece, son, young family members that wont cook but need to save money, rather then eat out and still reasonably healthy.

Get apple, grape and pomegranate juice. Mix them if needed, just make sure you get 4-6 oz.

Eat a banana or get banana baby food. I often buy pears, bananas, etc in baby food because I can get organic and sometimes can't get fresh. You can put wheat germ, granola, buts anything. Try it, its easy and a nice treat.

Buy Macaroni salad from deli. Dump in a can of Tuna. If you like them, add a can of baby peas.

Bag salad, any kind, dump in bowl, cut up cheese, ham, turkey, etc. but dont's forget the cukes and tomatoes.

Pita Pizza - buy pita and freeze what you are not using. It will defrost fast, if not you "can" do this frozen although not as good. Take whole pita, open a jar of spaghetti sauce, spread on thick. Top with goat cheese or any cheese. Heat in over or nuke. You can get fancy with this, add mushrooms, veggies, anything.

Tacos- everyone can make these but they are a lot more healthy if you use flour tortillas. Do not forget the veggies. Instead of iceberg use romaine. You can use chicken or if you want meat and healthy buy small packs of organic bison or ground turkey. Bison packs are fast to defrost and lower in fat, higher in protein. Really really good.

Buy Super Veggie Juice, not V-8 but if you can't then v-8 low sodium. You can heat and drink. For a real treat stir in goat cheese when its hot. It will make it creamy. You can even use this as the base for almost any tomato sauce.

omg I have so many quick easy recipes. You could eat healthy, cheap and fast with no problem. Just plan a little ahead.

Blade
01-31-2010, 01:41 PM
~ 1 -2 rabbits, cut into pieces
~ 3 - 4 tbsp butter
~ flour
~ seasoning salt
Remove all bones and tendons from the rabbit. Rinse well.

Spread the meat onto a cutting board. Cover with plastic wrap and beat with a meat mallet to tenderize and flatten.

Melt the butter in a large skillet.

Dredge the meat pieces in flour then add to the skillet.

Season to taste with seasoning salt.

Cook until lightly browned. Flip and brown other side.

Cover for a few minutes.

Do not overcook! Rabbit is done when you cut into it and don’t see blood.

Serve and enjoy.

Yummy but I can remove the bones and tendons with my teeth thanks also correcting my spelling from above it is MEAT not meet LOL DUH! Yeah what was I thinking.

Cyclopea
01-31-2010, 01:49 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_O9wzKBwrbBA/SeyJGft_BsI/AAAAAAAAAPI/FG2IsuW2EfM/S1600-R/don%27t+eat+bunnies.bmp

Abigail Crabby
01-31-2010, 02:06 PM
Yummy but I can remove the bones and tendons with my teeth thanks also correcting my spelling from above it is MEAT not meet LOL DUH! Yeah what was I thinking.

I personally wouldn't ever eat a bunny - but I figured this was the easy thread and some peeps do lol

iamkeri1
01-31-2010, 03:18 PM
Preheat oven to 360 degreesF
1 eight inch square cake pan (ungreased)
6 eight inch flour tortilla
1/2 pound peal and eat shrimp - salad shrimp works great too.
3 firm and crispy (really freah) green onions cut into 1/4 in chunks
1/2 pound grated white melty cheese of your choice

Lay the tortilla on a flat surface. To each tortilla add a handful of shrimp, a sprinkling of onion and a bunch of cheese. (It's recipe for six, so you would add approximately 1/6 of each ingredient to each tortilla) Roll each torilla and lay it edge down in the cake pan. Sprinkle any left over shrimp bits, onion or cheese on the top. If you like LOTS of cheese, spread some more melty cheese on top. Put in oven, heat till cheese melts (about 20 minutes) Don't overcook it,

PS this is a really sexy meal to eat (being all drippy with cheese and all.) It's great for aseduction, if you know what I mean. Start with licking the cheese off each others fingers and go from there. Y'all can figure it out. :giggle:
Smooches,
Keri

morningstar55
01-31-2010, 03:28 PM
im trying to eat better and healthy out here on the roads.....
and applebees when i dont feel like cooking is great........ they even have a awsome wieght watchers section on there menu...
on that link..... i posted... they are featuring some of the dish's in the 1st part of the web site.
and i do believe its all about portion control...
soo when i do cook something in my truck...... i try to think of how big the portions are and fix that for myself.
hmm ya know....... this post should be more for the biggest loser thread... yeah?? lol

iamkeri1
01-31-2010, 05:42 PM
Preheat oven to 360 degreesF
1 eight inch square cake pan (ungreased)
6 eight inch flour tortilla
1/2 pound peal and eat shrimp - salad shrimp works great too.
3 firm and crispy (really freah) green onions cut into 1/4 in chunks
1/2 pound grated white melty cheese of your choice

Lay the tortilla on a flat surface. To each tortilla add a handful of shrimp, a sprinkling of onion and a bunch of cheese. (It's recipe for six, so you would add approximately 1/6 of each ingredient to each tortilla) Roll each torilla and lay it edge down in the cake pan. Sprinkle any left over shrimp bits, onion or cheese on the top. If you like LOTS of cheese, spread some more melty cheese on top. Put in oven, heat till cheese melts (about 20 minutes) Don't overcook it,

PS this is a really sexy meal to eat (being all drippy with cheese and all.) It's great for aseduction, if you know what I mean. Start with licking the cheese off each others fingers and go from there. Y'all can figure it out. :giggle:
Smooches,
Keri

Just in case you wonder what aseduction is, its typo language for a seduction, LOL Tried to edit it, but didn't get to it in time. Sorry
Smooches,
Keri

Diva
01-31-2010, 05:47 PM
This should be illegal it's so easy.

Drizzle some olive oil in a small pyrex dish.

Wash & pat dry 2 chicken breasts; sprinkle a pinch or two of kosher salt and coarse ground pepper on each. Put in casserole. Drizzle 1/4 cup of raspberry~chipotle marinade/dressing over each breast. Bake 30 minutes in a 350 degree oven. Serve over brown rice (or not). Great with a tossed salad.

It is delish!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blade
01-31-2010, 06:10 PM
I have a "Ready Set GO" that cooks meals in just a few minutes well less than an hour. If you see the inframercial get one only thing is DO NOT BACK THE TIMER UP just let it run out on it's own. Mom ruined hers.

Sachita
01-31-2010, 06:13 PM
this super easy and yummy

Chicken thighs boneless- You should brown these but you dont have to.

Put chick in casserole
Put portabella mushrooms- fresh or canned
Chopped onions, as much or little as you like.
Roasted Red peppers optional
can or two, depending on how much chicken- mango in juice, juice and all
sprinkle curry, garlic powder, salt and pepper.

Bake 45 min depending how much chicken.

serve over rice.

Cyclopea
02-01-2010, 04:54 PM
This is a very helpful thread-
Keep them coming!
:thumbsup:

Sachita
02-01-2010, 05:04 PM
im trying to eat better and healthy out here on the roads.....
and applebees when i dont feel like cooking is great........ they even have a awsome wieght watchers section on there menu...
on that link..... i posted... they are featuring some of the dish's in the 1st part of the web site.
and i do believe its all about portion control...
soo when i do cook something in my truck...... i try to think of how big the portions are and fix that for myself.
hmm ya know....... this post should be more for the biggest loser thread... yeah?? lol

Sometimes we forget how easy it is to eat healthy. I use to have to travel for work and when I was looking for the farm I was on the road a lot driving state to state.

Healthy food doesnt come in a package. Get some fruit, nuts and a little cheese. Juice is important but dont over do it.

If you want to be healthy get a magic bullet and make smoothies. This will help you keep full and healthy. Most of this is really easy and i promise it will be easy. Buy a tub of organic spinach from sam's club for 3.99. Then a bag of frozen blueberries and apple juice. Put a handful of spinach, 1/2 cup blueberries and a little juice. whip and drink. Then have some nuts a few hours later with a piece of fruit and cheese.

Eat a good lunch.

around 5 make a fruit smoothie with frozen or cold strawberries, some soy milk and banana. You can buy soy milk in small cartons. You'll be amazed how much good it is and will cut your cravings.

at night eat a Mickey D's salad with chicken or a few chicken wraps. They are cheap and low fat. Or dump a can of tuna in your bullet, add a few jalapenos just a little low fat mayo and blend. Have this on crackers, bread or pita. With that have salad in a bag or get whole wheat wraps and put romaine.

You can eat raw veggies, baby carrots and even try wrapping your tuna in romaine leaves.

You're going to save money and you'll feel great

iamkeri1
02-01-2010, 09:45 PM
This will serve six as the entree.
1 pound Hamburger (a little more is good too!)
1/2 cup chopped onion or the equivalent in minced onions
1 tsp garlic powder or 1 clove grated fresh garlic
1 cup chunked fresh mushrooms or a six ounce can of mushrooms
1 can cream of mushroom soup, + 1 can full of milk or evap milk.
1 cup sour cream (low fat and no fat work just as well as whole fat)

Saute the hamburger and onions & garlic till brown. Drain off excess grease. Add the mushrooms. Saute for a minute or two if you used fresh mushrooms. If you use canned, they don't need to be drained, but be careful so the hot liquid doesn't pop out of the pan on you. Add the mushroom soup and milk. Stir and bring to a boil. Add the sour cream and then just heat for another minute or so. Don't bring it to a boil again as it will cause the sour cream to break down.

Serve over egg noodles (you'll need the whole pound for six people), plain white rice, or mashed potatoes of the homemade or instant variety. Goes well with peas, green beans, or asparagus,and a salad.
Smooches,
Keri

Lady Jewel
02-01-2010, 10:06 PM
Get a saucepan of water to a rapid boil before you start anything.

Thennnnn....
One pound boneless skinless chicken breasts cut up into bite size pieces.
1/2 pound Portobello or crimini muchroom sliced thin
Fresh garlic to taste chopped up
Salt and pepper to taste
One cup lowfat sour cream
One pound fresh angel hair pasta that you get in the deli section

In a skillet, put two tablespoons olive oil. Add the chicken breast. Garlic, salt and pepper. Cook till almost done. Add two more tablespoons olive oil. Add mushrooms. Cook till tender. Turn stove down to low. Make sure that pot of water you put onto boil is at a rapid boil. Add angel hair pasta. Cook till al dente. About three minutes. Strain and put in serving bowl. Add sour cream to skillet that has the cooked chicken. Blend completely. Pour on top of cooked pasta. You have a quick, delicious stroganoff. If you dont like mushrooms, add any cooked vegetable that you like.

Galahad
02-01-2010, 10:58 PM
Chop an onion in chunks,
fry in oil till almost brown.
Add a few apples cut in chunks.
Fry med. heat until apple is as done as you like.
Remove onion apple mix,
add some chopped cabbage and a little margarine and heat it up a bit.

Gemme
02-01-2010, 11:04 PM
Sometimes we forget how easy it is to eat healthy. I use to have to travel for work and when I was looking for the farm I was on the road a lot driving state to state.

Healthy food doesnt come in a package. Get some fruit, nuts and a little cheese. Juice is important but dont over do it.

If you want to be healthy get a magic bullet and make smoothies. This will help you keep full and healthy. Most of this is really easy and i promise it will be easy. Buy a tub of organic spinach from sam's club for 3.99. Then a bag of frozen blueberries and apple juice. Put a handful of spinach, 1/2 cup blueberries and a little juice. whip and drink. Then have some nuts a few hours later with a piece of fruit and cheese.

Eat a good lunch.

around 5 make a fruit smoothie with frozen or cold strawberries, some soy milk and banana. You can buy soy milk in small cartons. You'll be amazed how much good it is and will cut your cravings.

at night eat a Mickey D's salad with chicken or a few chicken wraps. They are cheap and low fat. Or dump a can of tuna in your bullet, add a few jalapenos just a little low fat mayo and blend. Have this on crackers, bread or pita. With that have salad in a bag or get whole wheat wraps and put romaine.

You can eat raw veggies, baby carrots and even try wrapping your tuna in romaine leaves.

You're going to save money and you'll feel great

This is some good information, and would work in most instances, but I'm not sure you know that Morningstar is a long distance trucker. I'm not sure exactly what she drives (and if it's hers or if she has to switch bobcats with others) but some of the cabs come with decent size fridges. Most don't. She could bring a cooler with her, but it's not like she's going to be able to stop every couple of hours to whip something up.

Truckers are pushed. Pushed for time. Pushed until their hours run out and then the less than stellar companies still push them on and push them to doctor their logs. Time is of the essence.

So, maybe she could put some stuff together in the cooler (like wraps and pre-made smoothies or drinks) but she's not going to be able to stop a lot until her hours have run out for the day. When it's time to fuel up, there might be a minute or two to stretch her legs, go to the bathroom in an actual restroom, and grab something quick.

I do like the Mountain mix from Wal-Mart for a trail mix. It's not perfect (has M&Ms) but overall, the nuts and raisins and seeds are good and filling. Even though there's a lot of fat in the nuts, I tend to lose and/or maintain weight when I eat some of this in between my meals.

Maybe your daughter could help put some stuff together for you, Barb? Stuff in sandwich baggies? I love baby carrots and think that cutting veggies up could be good. That way it's portion controlled and you can just reach around and grab them without taking your eyes off of the road?

Diva
02-01-2010, 11:10 PM
Scramble an egg, season it how You like.
Turn down the heat and put a tortilla over it (to steam it) while You're getting out the salsa and cheese......

Tortilla on the plate....
Egg on the tortilla...
Cheese on the egg...
Salsa on the cheese.....

Boom.

Fold & eat. Breakfast yumminess! :dance2:

AtLast
02-02-2010, 01:52 AM
Steam enough rice for 4 (use any type of rice you want, I have used both white or brown).

Mix the rice with 1 small can of drained jalapeno peppers and a pint of sour creme along with 1/2 lb of shreaded mozzerella cheeze. Jack is good too.

Dash of chili pepper can be added

Throw this in a baking disk (I like to use a glass bread pan) and bake on 350 for 25 minutes.

Serve hot with ... anything you want! Salsa is good with it and I have just had this with a salad as a meal.

Blade
02-02-2010, 02:30 PM
I'll tell you some easy stuff.
Buy bulk hamburger and cook it all at once. Let it cool then freeze it. You can take out and heat up as much as you need at the time for yourself or your family. Throw together sketti, chili, tacos, soup, hamburger helper, manwich or whatever.

Lady Jewel
02-02-2010, 05:37 PM
Crockpot meatloaf

Ingredients:

1 1/2 pounds very lean ground beef
1 egg
1 cup finely chopped onion
1 cup soft torn bread crumbs
2 teaspoons prepared mustard
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
1 cup ketchup, divided
Preparation:

Spray crockpot with butter-flavored cooking spray. In a large bowl, combine ground beef, onion, egg, mustard, bread crumbs, Worcestershire sauce, parsley, and 1/2 cup ketchup. Shape mixture into a ball and place in slow cooker. Spread remaining ketchup over top of loaf. Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours.
Serves 6.

iamkeri1
02-02-2010, 07:03 PM
Gravy - no fuss, no muss, no lumps!

Use the pan you cooked your roast, or steak, or chicken, or whatever in. If its a big roasting pan like from a turkey, set it over two burners on the stove top.

Take the --- out, remove pan from heat. Add 1/4 cup flour, and stir it up in the juices, scrape all the bits and pieces off the bottom and sides of the pan. Stir it up well and make sure all the flour is mixed up in the juices. Start adding any temperature water, just a little bit to start with - like 1/8th cup or a couple of tablespoons. Stir again, get rid of all the lumps.

Turn the heat back on to medium high; add more water. Each time you add water, stir to eliminate lumps. As the gravy gets thinner you can add larger portions of water. When the gravy reaches the point that it does not get thicker right away after adding water, you are pretty much done. My aunt always said you had to let it cook about five minutes at that point to cook the flour, but I have served it lots of times right at that point, so decide for yourself.

Note. If what you cooked was loose meat like hamburger or sausage, you can make the gravy right in the pan with the meat. With sausage however (like for sausage and bisquits) I would use milk instead of water - just my preference, you may, of course, do as you wish. Salt and pepper to taste. Makes about two cups - If you have lots of juices to work with, like from a turkey. you can double or triple the flour and water amounts and get more gravy.
Smooches,
Keri

MyzticReflection
02-02-2010, 11:36 PM
This is good to make on the weekends for the work week

Get a muffin tin and spray it with cooking spray even if its a non-stick one

In a bowl mix eggs, cheese, seasonings, spinach... anything you would put in an omelet.
Pour mixture into the muffin pan and cover with plastic wrap, and place in the freezer. Once mixture is frozen pop them out and throw them into a ziplock freezer bag ( if you leave mixture in the muffin pan too long you could get freezer burn). You can pop out a pre-made omelet each morning and nuke it.

Also using muffin tins are great for freezing individual serving sizes of most leftovers. Just put one in a plastic bowl, take to work, nuke for lunch. Also good for freezing gravies, fruit, left over broths.. etc.

Sachita
02-03-2010, 02:09 PM
Ok this take a little bit of work but you can make a mess of them and simply take out, nuke one min and POOF awesomeness.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Fried-Empanadas/Detail.aspx#

Thats a basic dough for empanadas. If you have not tried these you're in for a huge treat. They are fried so they are fatty but use a good oil and follow a few tips to make lower fat.

use canola oil and let drain, even pat with paper towels.
Use very lean meats.

Stuff these babies with meat & cheese, shredded pork, chicken, veggies, spinach and feta (or goat cheese)

They are simply divine and super easy when you;re hungry and reaching for something quick.

iamkeri1
02-07-2010, 01:53 AM
Menu
1) Peeled shrimp and crab clusters on ice
(Soak each in cold water till defrosted. Place on separate sides of ice filled bowl)Shrimp sauce. One part horseradish to three parts ketchup. Tartar sauce One part finely chopped dill pickles to three parts mayonaisse.
2) Stuffed crab or crab cakes
(buy in Walmart frozen food section, follow baking directions)

3) Little smokies in barbeque sauce - also works great with chunked up hot dogs
(Boil wienies to remove some of the fat and salt. Drain and drown in your favorite barbeque sauce)
4) Swedish meatballs
(Make your own meatballs - 25 or more - or buy frozen, Brown in pan with chopped onions till cooked. Add can of cream of mushroom soup and about 1/2 can milk, stir till smooth. Add 1/2 to 3/4 cup sour cream, stir til smooth. Reheat (try not to let it boil) then serve, it's done.)
5) Bread with dip
(Bread: buy or make a round loaf of crusty bread. With a serrated knife, cut down into the top of the bread around the outside edge, leaving about an inch of bread around the outside of the opening you cut. Rip the bread out of the circle into the size chunks you prefer. I always place this in a good sized basket with the ripped up bread around it. Dip: In a glass bowl, put the cheese from one package of cream cheese, and one can of no bean chili. Microwave for a minute and then stir. Repeat in one minute intervals till the its all mixed up and hot. Pour this mixture into the hollowed out center of the bread and dip the ripped up bread in it. when done with the ripped up peices, rip up the bread bowl itself and eat it. What's left can be kept for several days in the refrigerator and can be reheated in the microwave)
6) Spicy Cheese Dip and tortilla chips
(Put 1/2 pound of your favorite cheese in a glass bowl, cover bowl with wet paper towel and microwave for one minute. Add one cup of your favorite salsa. Stir to mix up. Repeat in one minute intervals until the dip is well mixed and hot. Place in the center of a round container and pour tortilla chips around them.)

To complete the feast, add a a bowl of potato chips, corn chips and corn curls. I always pour them into one big bowl with a container of dip in the center. It helps if three people each hold a bag of chips and (on the count of three, LOL) pour them into the bowl at the same time. They stay separate, but all in one bowl.
Smooches,
Keri

Happy Superbowl Sunday

iamkeri1
02-11-2010, 12:24 AM
Fantastic Potato Soup

Fry three to four strips of bacon. Cut or break into bite sized pieces. Add 1/2 cup chopped onions and saute till translucent. Scrub four good sized potatoes, then cut unto very small chunks - 1/4 to 1/2 inch. Add potatoes to pan, (this can be done at any time, the onions don't have to be done.) Fry and stir until potatoes are mostly cooked- about ten minutes. Add 1 to 2 cans evaporated milk. (regular milk works too, but the soup will not be as thick.) Stir and scrape all the good stuff off the bottom and sides of the pan. Add pepper to taste and a couple of shakes of paprika (parsley if you want it) Cook for about another ten minutes. Eat and enjoy. This is for 4 servings. Just cut it in half to make less. It keeps well in the fridge for a day or so, but can't be frozen.
Variations:
1) Add an undrained can of whole kernel corn or 2 cups of fresh corn you have cut off the cob.
2) At the same time you add the milk, add an undrained can of clams for delicious clam chowder. (You can do this with or without the corn.) Once served in the bowl add a pat of butter.
3) At the same time you add the milk, add two cups of cooked and peeled shrimp, or actually any sweet cooked fish that you like, to make a yummy seafood gumbo.
4) a vegetarian version can be made by frying the onions and other ingredients in butter, but it burns easily, so it requires closer watching.To thicken any version, add instant potato flakes, or thin with milk.

Italian Tomato Spinach Soup

Three cans Campbell's Tomato Soup
Three soups cans full of milk
One 16 oz can whole tomatoes
One package frozen chopped spinach
1/4 cup chopped onions
1/2 tsp basil, oregano, garlic powder or 1 clove chopped fresh garlic.
1/8 cup grated parmesan cheese (out of the can is fine)
Optional 1 pound ground beef

Saute the onions and spices (and the ground beef - if you include ground beef, you don't need to add buttter or oil) in butter or oil till transluscent, Add spinach, add tomato soup and milk, heat and stir till smooth add 1/8 cup grated parmesan cheese and stir till just starting to boil. Put in bowls. Just before serving, sprinkle shredded mozzarella cheese on top of each bowl and serve. This serves four to six hearty servings.

Stay warm.
Smooches,
Keri

PearlsNLace
02-11-2010, 12:43 AM
Amazon.com: A Man, a Can, a Microwave: 50 Tasty Meals You Can Nuke in No Time (Man, a Can... Series) (9781579548926): David Joachim, The Editors of Men's Health: Books

the above linky loo is for a cookbook you might be interested in. Its called A man, A can, A microwave.

A few ingredients, quick prep, and easy meals.

You dont have to be a gourmet cook to stay out of the drive through.

DressyFemme
02-13-2010, 08:10 AM
You will need

1 pack of 2 shoulder or roundbone lamb chops
packet of rosemary
1-2 tsbp. olive oil (I use a capful)

Take chops out of package, rinse meat in warm water, put in skillet. Add capful of olive oil (about 1-2 tsbp.). Season chops with rosemary on one side, flip over with spatula, season with rosemary on the other side. Turn heat on high. Turn on stove fan, it can get a little smoky but the flavor is worth it.

Flip chops every 2 minutes until done (about 13 mins. for medium rare, 15 mins. for done).

That's it! and it's wonderfully flavorful! :)

morningstar55
02-13-2010, 10:49 AM
You will need

1 pack of 2 shoulder or roundbone lamb chops
packet of rosemary
1-2 tsbp. olive oil (I use a capful)

Take chops out of package, rinse meat in warm water, put in skillet. Add capful of olive oil (about 1-2 tsbp.). Season chops with rosemary on one side, flip over with spatula, season with rosemary on the other side. Turn heat on high. Turn on stove fan, it can get a little smoky but the flavor is worth it.

Flip chops every 2 minutes until done (about 13 mins. for medium rare, 15 mins. for done).

That's it! and it's wonderfully flavorful! :)

HeyYYYYYY ya there dressy.......
nice to see you here...

ok gang not sure if i already posted this .......
fresh corn on the cob made easy:badcook:

1 cob
peel husk back .. NOT off.....
take off that hairy stuff.... lol
ok now pull husk back over cob.. snuggly
place in micro wave for ahhh 4 minutes
WELLA!!!
peel back husk .. makes a great holder ... and season corn with what ever.

key
02-13-2010, 11:44 AM
of the George Foreman (or other brand) Grill???!!!

That is how I cook everyday. It is sort of like cooking crockpot style only more immediate. I am about 95% vegetarian, so this is super duper easy.

Plug in grill set to high.

Get big bowl.

Chop up veggies of your choice: I like super foods like broccoli, zucchini, red peppers, onions, garlic, ginger.

Chop up protein of your choice: I like tempeh.

Spray cooking oil on bottom tray of now hot grill.

Dump in chopped up ingredients.

Spray cooking oil on top of chopped up ingredients.

Close grill.

Go have cup of tea and watch MSNBC.

When you start to smell the onions it is ready.

Unplug grill

Spatula up all cooked ingredients put back in bowl.

Squirt Braggs or soy sauce over top.

Yummy and done!

If you need a carb/starch I like rice cakes or a tortilla (which you can warm on the cooling grill) and make it a wrap.

iamkeri1
08-09-2010, 12:20 AM
Key's post reminded me of a veggie meal that I used to eat frequently back in my young single days. I called it "walk-around salad"

Fix a salad any way you like it, stir in any dressing you like. Stuff it into an opened half pita bread, sprinkle the cheese of your choice on top, and enjoy. It is simple but delicious. And you can "walk around" and eat it. Great if you're on a quick lunch break and you watched "All My Children" too long before you headed back to work!
Smooches,
Keri

DamonK
08-09-2010, 12:54 AM
I swore up and down I didn't like tomato soup.

MBE changed my mind.

1 big can of cambells tomato soup
3 - 4 diced italian tomatoes
3/4 container of parmesan cheese

Dump soup in crock pot. Add a can of milk and a can of water (from the soup can). Add tomatoes. Add cheese

Stir.

Turn on.

Done in about 3 hrs.

Yummy, fast...
-----------

Another soup Mom makes me...

Hamburger meat (however much you want or none at all)
Onion
Few cans of mixed veggies
Few cans of tomatoes

Mom also would use leftover veggies for this.

Brown the meat. Drain. Dump in crockpot or pan. Dice onion. Dump in drained mixed veggies. Dump in cans.

Takes about 20 min to prep.

Cooks in crockpot all day.

iamkeri1
08-09-2010, 10:18 AM
This is what we had for dinner last night.

Sloppy Joes

Put a pound or more of whatever ground meat you prefer (last night I used ground sirloin) in a pan and cook it. I put water in with it. It cooks faster, and you can reduce the fat by pouring off the water as soon as the meat cooks. Add 1 - 8 ounce can tomato sauce per pound of meat. If you have poured the water off, fill the emptied can of tomato sauce with water and pour that in. Stir. Add whatever sweetener you want - sugar, brown sugar, corn syrup, etc. Go easy - it doesn't take much!!! You can also put coke or pepsi in the tomato can instead of water - I have heard it is good that way. I use artificial sweetener, 2 little paper packs per pound.

Serve it on a roll, a slice of good bread, or if you are like my kids, rip the bread up in to teeny tiny pieces and then put the joe over it

Last night we had boxed macaroni and cheese, and canned peas (Keri was tired) I did bring a certain amount of nutrition in to the picture, by preparing a large tray of fruit... bing cherries, strawberries, chunked up mangoes and apples.

iamkeri1
08-09-2010, 10:32 AM
Yummy Yummy Yummy

1 can diced pineapple
1 can mandarin oranges
1 jar maraschino cherries
1 cup sour cream
1 cup mini marshmallows

Drain the juices into a glass - my kids fight over it

Dump all the ingredients into a bowl, stir and serve.

This is the basic recipe. I almost always add a cup of shredded coconut. Most any kind of nut works well, but I only use 1/2 cup. I often replace the pineapple with sliced peaches. and much of the time, I use all fresh fruit. Go with what you've got, but pick fruits with lots of color to dazzle the eye!

morningstar55
08-09-2010, 10:54 AM
1 rotisserie chicken
1 bag of frozen rice.. flavored what ever u like best...
and found in your freezer veggie section at the store...
and a pint of ice cream and your all set. lol

BestButchBoy
08-09-2010, 11:15 AM
It's known as ... take-out.

turasultana
08-09-2010, 11:17 AM
It's known as ... take-out.

In my apartment it's know as... delivery.

Take out means I have to leave the apartment.

BestButchBoy
08-09-2010, 11:30 AM
In my apartment it's know as... delivery.

Take out means I have to leave the apartment.

HA!

You're such a New Yawkah!

Yes, take-out - delivered.

jenny
08-09-2010, 12:40 PM
Cool thread... here's an easy one for ya!

Line the bottom of a Crock Pot with chicken (breasts, thighs, whatever) -- I usually use four good sized pieces. Top with one can of whole kernel corn (drained), one medium sized jar of salsa (go one level hotter than you normally eat -- I like medium salsa, so I cook this using hot salsa), one can rinsed and drained black beans.

Let it cook on low all day, then drain off some of the accumulated fluid. Serve over rice, top with sour cream and grated cheddar.

YUM!

Jesse
08-09-2010, 02:15 PM
Southwest Steak and Beans

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Cook Time: 9 hours

Total Time: 7-9 hours

Ingredients:

1-1/2 lbs. flank steak (can substitute chicken instead)
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
16 oz. jar chunky salsa
1/2 tsp. dried oregano leaves
2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. salt ( I use sea salt )
1/4 tsp. pepper
15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 red bell pepper, sliced
1 yellow bell pepper, sliced
3 cups hot cooked rice

Preparation:

Trim excess fat from steak and slice into thin strips against the grain. Place onions and garlic in bottom of 3-4 quart slow cooker and top with steak. Mix salsa, oregano, chili powder, salt, and pepper in small bowl and pour over meat. Top with drained black beans. Cover slow cooker and cook on low for 7-9 hours until meat and peppers are tender. Serve with rice or atop egg noodles. 6 servings

Note: I generally add green chilies on top of the salsa before cooking.

Abigail Crabby
08-09-2010, 03:29 PM
1 rotisserie chicken

HEH! I know for a fact you are a very good cook girlie lol :hangloose:

morningstar55
08-09-2010, 04:04 PM
1 rotisserie chicken

haha. ty abby ........ well figured the hate to cook thread....... im sure ones who hate to cook dont want to much of a recipe... LOL
and the frozen rice in a bag...... u just toss the whole bag and all into the micro wave..... LOL ..
my favorite is the south west one.... :)

morningstar55
08-09-2010, 04:09 PM
Southwest Steak and Beans

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Cook Time: 9 hours

Total Time: 7-9 hours

Ingredients:

1-1/2 lbs. flank steak (can substitute chicken instead)
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
16 oz. jar chunky salsa
1/2 tsp. dried oregano leaves
2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. salt ( I use sea salt )
1/4 tsp. pepper
15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 red bell pepper, sliced
1 yellow bell pepper, sliced
3 cups hot cooked rice

Preparation:

Trim excess fat from steak and slice into thin strips against the grain. Place onions and garlic in bottom of 3-4 quart slow cooker and top with steak. Mix salsa, oregano, chili powder, salt, and pepper in small bowl and pour over meat. Top with drained black beans. Cover slow cooker and cook on low for 7-9 hours until meat and peppers are tender. Serve with rice or atop egg noodles. 6 servings

Note: I generally add green chilies on top of the salsa before cooking.

im gonna have to try this . this fall/winter...... sounds very good.. :)
I remnember you love to cook too..... Mr Tranz.. :) maybe next time you or someone makes it.. take a pic .. lol i love taking pix of my food..... well sometimes. lol

lol Abby.. ty ....... i love to cook too... but ya sometimes i have my lazy moments.. and well found some quick stuff .. lol
but im kinda picky where i get my rotisserie chicken

WingsOnFire
08-09-2010, 07:07 PM
I swore up and down I didn't like tomato soup.

MBE changed my mind.

1 big can of cambells tomato soup
3 - 4 diced italian tomatoes
3/4 container of parmesan cheese

Dump soup in crock pot. Add a can of milk and a can of water (from the soup can). Add tomatoes. Add cheese

Stir.

Turn on.

Done in about 3 hrs.

Yummy, fast...
-----------

Another soup Mom makes me...

Hamburger meat (however much you want or none at all)
Onion
Few cans of mixed veggies
Few cans of tomatoes

Mom also would use leftover veggies for this.

Brown the meat. Drain. Dump in crockpot or pan. Dice onion. Dump in drained mixed veggies. Dump in cans.

Takes about 20 min to prep.

Cooks in crockpot all day.

OHHH MYY GOSSHHH!!! These are both AWESOME and cheap!! The tomato soup has 3-4 CANS of Italian tomatoes just incase someone thinks there is an actual tomato that is Italian.. and there probably is!! lol..

YUMMMMYY!!! Ok, I want junk soup now please!

iamkeri1
08-09-2010, 11:21 PM
Italian tomatoes = Roma tomatoes.
Smooches,
Keri

ravfem
08-11-2010, 06:22 PM
flank steak
Trim excess fat from steak and slice into thin strips against the grain. ....

i am not a cook, i am a girl who tries to fix food that is edible. Sometimes i even succeed! :D

So....Jesse? If i'm at the meat section looking, will the package say "flank steak"? And....how do i cut it against the grain??

:chemist:

:badcook:

Jesse
08-11-2010, 06:32 PM
i am not a cook, i am a girl who tries to fix food that is edible. Sometimes i even succeed! :D

So....Jesse? If i'm at the meat section looking, will the package say "flank steak"? And....how do i cut it against the grain??

:chemist:

:badcook:

If you can't find Flank steak, look for London Broil...they are the same thing. But you can use any beef, pork or chicken for this recipe.

As for cutting against the grain, look at the meat and you will see lines running up and down in the meat, you want to cut it the opposite way the lines are running so that you cut through the tough fibers to make the meat more tender.

Sachita
08-11-2010, 07:08 PM
French bread or ciabata - slice
mix extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar, ground rosemary, salt and pepper
slice tomato and mozzarella cheese- the good stuff
dip each slice of bread in oil and vinegar mix
assemble cheese and tomato add fresh basil leaves.

eat like a sandwich.

open a bottle of chianti

yum

iamkeri1
12-15-2010, 11:57 PM
I made the most fantastic dinner the other night. It was also very easy.

Chicken stew/ chicken and dumplings

One for each person being served of the following
boneless chicken breast
scrubbed (not peeled) cubed potato
large carrot

Add one large chopped up onion and
One chopped up green or red pepper.

Saute the chicken till the pan you are cooking in is browned well - adds flavor, then break the chicken into pieces, add the onion and pepper and continue to saute.

Sprinkle garlic powder liberally over the mixture. My own personal little secret spice that I put in almost everthing is Luzianne cajun seasoning Adding a little gives it great flavor, adding more makes it spicy hot - its up to you To the mixture add about three tablespoons of flour and stir until mixed, then add about four cups of water and stir again. Bring to a boil and stick in the oven for one hour. A few minutes before the hour is up, mix up a batch of dumplings using the recipe on any package of baking mix. Drop buyspooonfuls on top of the chicken mixture, put the lid back on the pan and bake for fifteen minutes. Take it out and eat it.

Yummy!
Smooches,
Keri

iamkeri1
02-08-2011, 02:10 AM
Hey where is everybody? Haven't you had anything to eat since Christmas? Come on - I need some easy stuff to fix for dinner!

Here's a super easy one for you. My room mate told me had had cole slaw once with pineapple in it. That sounded good to me so I just ad-libbed it for dinner tonight.

I had fresh pineapple so I just chopped it up (approximately pea size), but I'm sure canned would work too. I shredded some cabbage and added miracle whip. I usually turn my nose up at it - I am a mayonaisse woman - but I wanted the slaw to be sweet. I would say I used about 1/2 cup pineapple per 1 cup pf cabbage and then add miracle whip till its as wet as you like it.

TASTY!!!

Smooches,
Keri

Mopsie
05-22-2013, 06:48 PM
*bump*

This is a great thread!

:chef:

cinnamongrrl
05-22-2013, 07:36 PM
Great thread to dust off Mopsie :) Reminds me of a featured article called Cheap Thrills in our paper...good food done cheap and easy...lol

This isn't one of those, rather something I discovered by happenstance...

Mix some of that lovely sriracha Vietnamese spicy sauce:

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTXLWtb5Thzo3CbAbWVXBFhS6iwUgRpx XDRQKCz3R_u42stXYra

With plain ol sour cream. It subdues the heat and gives a great flavor...great as a condiment or a dip...

Mopsie
05-22-2013, 07:43 PM
Great thread to dust off Mopsie :) Reminds me of a featured article called Cheap Thrills in our paper...good food done cheap and easy...lol

This isn't one of those, rather something I discovered by happenstance...

Mix some of that lovely sriracha Vietnamese spicy sauce:

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTXLWtb5Thzo3CbAbWVXBFhS6iwUgRpx XDRQKCz3R_u42stXYra

With plain ol sour cream. It subdues the heat and gives a great flavor...great as a condiment or a dip...

I love advice like that! Because for me the sauce aisle is overwhelming. There are so many different kinds and so many different brands and I am never sure what I should try, so usually I am getting nothing. I'm going to look for this next time I'm at the store!

Mopsie
05-23-2013, 07:00 AM
Since we're talking sauces... I have a question about Thai peanut sauce...

It looks like it would be really delicious... but I don't really know anything about it.

Is it as good as it looks? How do I use it? Do I just toss it in with stir fry?

cinnamongrrl
05-23-2013, 08:09 AM
Since we're talking sauces... I have a question about Thai peanut sauce...

It looks like it would be really delicious... but I don't really know anything about it.

Is it as good as it looks? How do I use it? Do I just toss it in with stir fry?

I would suggest trying something with a peanut sauce at a good Thai place. See if you have the taste for it...Thai cuisine makes good use of many things I never cared for or tried in food before (pineapple for one...)

Let me know how you like it! :)

Mopsie
05-23-2013, 08:16 AM
I would suggest trying something with a peanut sauce at a good Thai place. See if you have the taste for it...Thai cuisine makes good use of many things I never cared for or tried in food before (pineapple for one...)

Let me know how you like it! :)

I have had peanut sauce at an actual Thai restaurant ... and loved it :D ... but sometimes store bought doesn't measure up, you know?

ArkansasPiscesGrrl
05-23-2013, 02:13 PM
Oh, my, a cooking thread! I adore cooking!

regarding notes about Thai food and peanut sauce, one of the easiest recipes I have is to take either chicken breast or thin steak, slice thinly. Brown in a bit of hot oil. Add some soy sauce, some sweet chili sauce (found in the oriental food aisle) to taste, a bit of red pepper flakes for more heat, and a big bag of frozen stir fry vegetables. After they saute and cook for awhile add a BIG dollop of creamy peanut butter, let it melt into the stir fry and stir in. Serve over rice. YUMMO!

I also like to make my own chicken tenders, and everyone loves them. (Denise likes me to make a big batch before she goes out on the road, and I make a bag full for her to take) Dredge chicken tenders completely in flour, making sure to cover completely. I usually just throw some flour into a baggie. Then dip the floured pieces into a egg wash. Then put them into a big gallon sized bag that has finely crushed Ritz crackers in. Have some hot oil ready in a pan, and brown the chicken pieces for about 2-3 min each side. Drain on paper towels and enjoy. Denise loves to dip these in Sweet Chili Sauce, it gives it a nice kick!

I will be back later with a couple of other recipes!

Mopsie
05-23-2013, 02:20 PM
Both of these sounds delicious! And the funny part is ... my name is also Denyse!

Thanks for sharing - I am printing them off! :)

iamkeri1
05-24-2013, 01:06 AM
I had some leftover cooked spaghetti noodles. I wanted to make something Ben would like, and he doesn't like pasta much. I cut up the noodles into about 1 inch pieces. I added a variety of coarsely chopped veggies (carrots, red and green pepper, white and green onions, tomatoes, celery.) I would have
added shake-on parmesan cheese, but I didn't have any, so I threw in some shredded mild cheddar and it worked fine. Then I stirred it up with mayonaisse and added a bunch of pickle rellish because Ben puts it on everything, plus some hot sauce. It was fantastic, and I say that as a person who does not like sweet veggie salads.

Smooches,
Keri

PS. Ben didn't like it, LOL.

Chad
12-26-2015, 04:55 PM
I am bumping this thread.

Chad
12-26-2015, 07:01 PM
I am not very good about writing recipes because I make it up in my head. I recently sent this one to a friend. I hope you like it.

Green Chili Chicken Soup Chad Style
Cooking time at least an hour

Ingredients list
Onion
Cilantro
Celery
Lime
Carrots
Cabbage
Chicken
Salt
Pepper
Cumin
Chicken broth
Green chills
Chili Powder

Stovetop sauté the onions and celery in a TBS of broth or oil then add the chicken and veggies except the cabbage, lime, and cilantro. Add the broth and let all that cook in the broth then add the spices. At the end (about an hour) add the cilantro and squeeze the lime in. Lastly, add the cabbage about 5 minutes before served.

I like a lot of lime and cilantro.

cinnamongrrl
12-26-2015, 08:14 PM
Key's post reminded me of a veggie meal that I used to eat frequently back in my young single days. I called it "walk-around salad"

Fix a salad any way you like it, stir in any dressing you like. Stuff it into an opened half pita bread, sprinkle the cheese of your choice on top, and enjoy. It is simple but delicious. And you can "walk around" and eat it. Great if you're on a quick lunch break and you watched "All My Children" too long before you headed back to work!
Smooches,
Keri

This is pretty much how my former roomie made Caesar salad pockets. Only thing different is grilled chicken strips...and Caesar salad mix....Caesar dressing of course...although I think I'd like to add that Greek sauce I can't spell...trader joes makes a good one...and maybe add some olives and feta...

cinnamongrrl
12-26-2015, 08:24 PM
I have two contributions. I may have posted them elsewhere here. Sorry if I repeat.

Easy pesto chicken.

Put chicken breasts in a pan...I would put s tiny bit of water just because I hate dry chicken

Spread with prepared (or homemade) pesto

Top with sliced tomatoes (Roma are nice)

Sprinkle with cheese (mozzarella or any good Italian mix)

Cover with foil and bake til cooked through. I cook by smell because of stove variances..

I would want to add fresh spinach also...for color and extra veggieness

Shrimp

Melt a stick of butter in a jelly roll sized pan. It must have a lip of course

Spread a pound of uncooked shelled shrimp into butter

Sprinkle with dry Italian dressing mix

Top with lemon slices (one lemon)

Bake until shrimp is cooked through.

I think this would be pretty with linguine...maybe some veggies cooked in it...or its nice as an appetizer..

iamkeri1
12-27-2015, 02:05 PM
Thanks, Chad, for bumping up the thread.

Here's another easy-peasy recipe. In a 9-10 in frying pan, sauté about 1 pound of ground meat (hamburger), with 1/2 cup chopped onion, pour off excess grease. Add an 8 ounce can of tomato sauce and one canful of water. Stir and heat till it boils.

In a separate bowl mix up Jiffy corn bread mix according to recipe (use any brand corn bread mix, but it has to be a sweet variety.) Turn your meat mixture off. Start dropping spoonfuls of cornbread around the outside edge of the frying pan and then fill in the center if you have enough. Bake at 350 until cornbread is cooked through, Because of the liquid mixture underneath, this takes a lot longer than the mix box suggests - usually an hour.

When you serve it, cut it and flip it so the sauce is on top. It's yummy. Serves about 6. I call this Upside Down Sloppy Joes.

Smoooches.
Keri

catlady
12-31-2015, 07:12 PM
For breakfast I love to make avocado toast! Mash avocado on slices of bread and top it with seaweed pieces and nutritional yeast.

iamkeri1
01-02-2016, 02:40 PM
For breakfast I love to make avocado toast! Mash avocado on slices of bread and top it with seaweed pieces and nutritional yeast.

Hi catlady, Your post made me remember a veggie sandwich I "invented" in my sleep one night and woke up craving.

red pepper
green pepper
zucchini
summer squash (some may call it crook neck or yellow squash)
onion
avocado

Saute large chunks of red and green peppers, and slices of zucchini and crook neck summer squash and onion in butter, olive oil, whatever. I like it cooked till its good and brown. Slice up whatever yummy bread you have around. Place a generous portion of the pepper-squash mixture onto the bread and top with whatever cheese you like. My preference is Monterey Jack. Then top with avocado slices, or guacamole if you have some on hand.

This sandwich is unbelievably good. My kids loved it too. Don't think they ever figured out that it was veggie.

Smooches,
Keri

catlady
01-02-2016, 03:48 PM
Hi catlady, Your post made me remember a veggie sandwich I "invented" in my sleep one night and woke up craving.

red pepper
green pepper
zucchini
summer squash (some may call it crook neck or yellow squash)
onion
avocado

Saute large chunks of red and green peppers, and slices of zucchini and crook neck summer squash and onion in butter, olive oil, whatever. I like it cooked till its good and brown. Slice up whatever yummy bread you have around. Place a generous portion of the pepper-squash mixture onto the bread and top with whatever cheese you like. My preference is Monterey Jack. Then top with avocado slices, or guacamole if you have some on hand.

This sandwich is unbelievably good. My kids loved it too. Don't think they ever figured out that it was veggie.

Smooches,
Keri
That sounds yummy! I'll need to try that.