PDA

View Full Version : Portlandbound

tantalizingfemme
08-13-2017, 07:43 PM
So I just booked my flight to Portland for 8 days next month and am looking for ideas for some things to do and places to go that are off the tourist track. I don't drink so anything alcohol related is out. I love doing anything outdoors and am bringing hiking shoes so trail recommendations would be great. Not sure how many folks here are familiar with Portland but all ideas are appreciated.

homoe
08-13-2017, 07:58 PM
So I just booked my flight to Portland for 8 days next month and am looking for ideas for some things to do and places to go that are off the tourist track. I don't drink so anything alcohol related is out. I love doing anything outdoors and am bringing hiking shoes so trail recommendations would be great. Not sure how many folks here are familiar with Portland but all ideas are appreciated.

If you check the "if you're ever here GO there" thread, you'll find a few suggestions that have been posted recently in fact!

Have a fun trip!

Kätzchen
08-13-2017, 08:30 PM

TF??? Start on Page 9 of the "If You're Ever Here, Go There" thread by Candlion. ...... there's lots of things to do or go see.
I'll send you a private mssg, too! :balloon:

LINK:

http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7526&page=9

hopelessromantic69
08-13-2017, 09:24 PM

Voodoo donuts is a must!! Japanese garden/rose garden is beautiful. You should check out the gorge. The OMSI is fun if you are into science. Here is their website: https://g.co/kgs/M3sknS
If you like hiking, check out Opal Creek. The old mine entrances are pretty cool.
Their website: http://www.opalcreek.org/hiking/trails/

I live 2 hours south in Eugene. I mainly do photography in the gorge when I'm up there. I hope I gave you some useful info on some places to go 😃

Medusa
08-13-2017, 10:20 PM
I highly recommend spending some time at Powel's City of Books! It's located in downtown Portland and is basically an entire city block bookstore with the most amazing things!

If you are into shopping at all, Sockdreams and Fluevog both have stores there but there are also a ton of vintage market all of the place!

nycfem
08-14-2017, 01:43 AM
I'm in Portland now, and knowing how we both eat, check out the recent article "19 essential Vegetarian and Vegan restaurants in Portland." My step-son (Jacob's) good friend Cyrus recently also opened Ichiza Kitchen "Vegan Small Plates, Noodle Bowls, and Tea House." We ate there and loved it. It is all vegan and Cyrus is from Guam and cooks very special dishes. If you go, mention you know us ;). It is attached by a door to Vtopia, another vegan restaurant, also fun, more into vegan cheese and sandwiches.

Kätzchen
08-15-2017, 04:12 PM

Here's a link to PDX Pipeline September Calender of Events, tantalizingfemme. Lots of good things to check out, plus if you subscribe to their calender of events, there's a strong possibility that you could win free tickets to events in September! I hope you have a great time while you're on vacation.... :hk28:

https://www.pdxpipeline.com/events/portland-september-events/

girl_dee
08-15-2017, 04:38 PM
i just remember Hawthorne Street and how fun it was, and the Buffalo Exchange...

and Voodoo Donuts... "The Magic is in the hole "

nycfem
08-15-2017, 04:40 PM
i just remember Hawthorne Street and how fun it was, and the Buffalo Exchange...

and Voodoo Donuts... "The Magic is in the hole "

Yes loved Hawthorne! Great thrifting!

tantalizingfemme
08-16-2017, 04:45 AM
Thanks for all of the suggestions and information! I'm looking forward to delving into the thread Homoe and Katzchen mentioned, when I get home tonight! All of the places everyone mentioned will go on my list of must sees.

Is there enough to do in Portland to fill 8 days (not that I am looking to overbook myself) only because I am trying to figure out if I should rent a car or not. I am staying at an air bnb one block south of Hawthorne Blvd.(Not sure where that lies in reference to all the places everyone mentioned) I know I really want to get some hiking in and have read about beautiful areas, just not sure if I need to drive myself there or if public transportation can get me there.

Again, thanks for everything.

homoe
08-16-2017, 10:27 AM
Thanks for all of the suggestions and information! I'm looking forward to delving into the thread Homoe and Katzchen mentioned, when I get home tonight! All of the places everyone mentioned will go on my list of must sees.

Is there enough to do in Portland to fill 8 days (not that I am looking to overbook myself) only because I am trying to figure out if I should rent a car or not. I am staying at an air bnb one block south of Hawthorne Blvd.(Not sure where that lies in reference to all the places everyone mentioned) I know I really want to get some hiking in and have read about beautiful areas, just not sure if I need to drive myself there or if public transportation can get me there.

Again, thanks for everything.

I suppose if you run out of things to do in Portland you could always take a road trip down to Seattle........tons of stuff to do down there!

Stronghealer
08-16-2017, 10:39 AM
https://www.yelp.com/search?cflt=wineries&find_loc=Downtown%2C+Portland%2C+OR

I'm not a big drinker, but I find wineries fun!

BullDog
08-16-2017, 11:31 AM
I haven't lived in Portland since 2011 so some things may have changed. Public transportation in the city makes it pretty easy to get around, but if you want to hike and stuff like that I would say you need a car- maybe not for the whole time if you were spending part of your time doing city stuff.

BullDog
08-16-2017, 11:58 AM
Recommendations from actual local hikers!

(There is a forum there too so you might be able to ask questions there if you want.)

http://www.oregonhikers.org/field_guide/Must_See_Hikes

https://www.oregonhikers.org/field_guide/Portland_and_Willamette_Valley_Hikes

Hiking stuff close in

See Portland hiking guide: The 20 best places to hike in the city

http://www.oregonlive.com/travel/index.ssf/2016/05/portland_hiking_guide.html

homoe
06-23-2019, 08:43 AM
https://knoji.com/images/logo/sockdreamscom-wide.jpg

I am SO going here my next trip to Portland........

tantalizingfemme
06-23-2019, 02:03 PM
Homoe there is so much to do! When I went in 2017 I wasn't fortunate to see and do as much as I had planned due to the devastating forest fire that happened right before I went (I could still smell smoke in the air) and the crappy weather. I did go to some great places though.

Portland Japanese Garden - So much to see and a beautiful walk.

Pittock Mansion - I love to see how people lived at one time and the mansion is amazing. I believe there were some trails you could take, but it poured the day I went so I didn't get to check them out.

International Rose Test Garden - So many gorgeous varieties of roses.

Oregon Museum of Science and Industry - Spent my entire day here one day and still didn't get to see everything. Really enjoyed the submarine tour.

Powell’s City of Books - I love books and reading but I did find myself a bit bored, until I decided to look at the staff's book picks that were scattered throughout the store. There was also a rare book area but I never made it up.

I am not a shopper and don't really like eating out, but if you do... there are so many stores and restaurants for foodies and lots of breweries if you are into that.

Have a great time!

homoe
06-26-2019, 12:30 AM
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRkj-DQQYFi6OD1ZlVvh1-xAy7sJDCKEU0jcfYrz5XggEOgrUGv

For more info

https://www.portlandiamermaidparade.com/

kittygrrl
06-26-2019, 03:15 PM
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRkj-DQQYFi6OD1ZlVvh1-xAy7sJDCKEU0jcfYrz5XggEOgrUGv

For more info

https://www.portlandiamermaidparade.com/

Seriously H, have you ever been on the bridge between Portland & Seattle at rush hour?!?..it will make you think twice..even three times :|
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTbPXw3jaeO66k5A3EhUAYhLr5bMU9at bN7mcF89uhocvjYJW2y<<crunch city...:)

kittygrrl
06-26-2019, 08:45 PM
Seriously H, have you ever been on the bridge between Portland & Seattle at rush hour?!?..it will make you think twice..even three times :|
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTbPXw3jaeO66k5A3EhUAYhLr5bMU9at bN7mcF89uhocvjYJW2y<<crunch city...:)

i should be a little more clear the I-5 exchange between Vancouver & Portland..horrific traffic, i was stuck for an hour in it..not impressed!

homoe
06-27-2019, 03:12 AM
i should be a little more clear the I-5 exchange between Vancouver & Portland..horrific traffic, i was stuck for an hour in it..not impressed!

No I guess I was lucky enough to miss that catastrophe kittygrrl so I'll count my blessings !

homoe
06-28-2019, 04:39 PM
Coming in Fall to the Peninsula Odd Fellows Lodge - Portland, OR

Tenderly is a moving musical portrait of the woman whose unparalleled talent and personality made her a legend. This musical follows Clooney’s rise from a modest childhood to Hollywood stardom –- and a breakdown that nearly ended her career. Featuring her most beloved hits, including “Hey There,” “Sisters,” and “Mambo Italiano.” Never before seen in Portland, Tenderly, the Rosemary Clooney Musical is not a typical “juke-box musical.” It offers a fresh, remarkably personal, and poignant picture of the woman whose unparalleled talent and unbridled personality made her a legend.

http://www.portlandmusicaltheater.org/

homoe
06-28-2019, 04:42 PM
13th Annual Clackamas County Lavender Festival

Clackamas County Lavender Festival has vendors, live music, lavender ice cream & lemonade, and U-pick lavender at Oregon Lavender Farm in Oregon City. No pets!

homoe
06-29-2019, 10:33 AM
July 26-28th Oregon Trail Days Tenino OR

Blacksmithing, candle-making, woodworking. Also a rock and gem show on Saturday. Framers market, vendors and live music.

kittygrrl
06-29-2019, 11:04 AM
July 26-28th Oregon Trail Days Tenino OR

Blacksmithing, candle-making, woodworking. Also a rock and gem show on Saturday. Framers market, vendors and live music.

H, this sounds fun...i'd love to go!

homoe
07-01-2019, 07:24 AM
H, this sounds fun...i'd love to go!

Yes, I agree it does sound fun...:hangloose:

homoe
07-01-2019, 07:31 AM
Portland Highland Games July 20th Mount Hood Community College Gresham OR

For more than 60 years, the Portland Highland Games have delighted participants with a unique, Scottish experience featuring incredible Scottish pipe bands, bag pipers and drummers, dancers and athletes. Explore Scottish clan tents and learn about your Scottish history. Immerse yourself in the music and culture. Watch fun demonstrations and powerful athletes competing on the Heavy Athletics field. Shop for regional Scottish products and gifts, and enjoy tasty food (and yup – there is beer).

homoe
07-03-2019, 11:25 AM
Yikes, hope all are safe and so glad I wasn't Portland bound when this occurred!

NWS survey crews confirmed late Monday night that the tornado touched down at 5:24 p.m. in the northeast area of the city. For more info

https://www.seattlepi.com/local/weather/article/Rare-tornado-touches-down-in-Portland-Oregon-14066376.php

homoe
07-03-2019, 05:08 PM
Yikes, hope all are safe and so glad I wasn't Portland bound when this occurred!

NWS survey crews confirmed late Monday night that the tornado touched down at 5:24 p.m. in the northeast area of the city. For more info

https://www.seattlepi.com/local/weather/article/Rare-tornado-touches-down-in-Portland-Oregon-14066376.php

From what I can tell it touched down in Portland's Alameda neighborhood.

homoe
07-04-2019, 08:45 AM
PCBF looks forward to our FIFTH celebration of Portland craft beer with a four day festival in 2019: Thursday July 4th, Friday July 5th, Saturday July 6th, & Sunday July 7th. Tickets are available now through Bold Type Tickets.

Portland, Oregon continues to hold the title of The Best Beer City in the World (Travel and Leisure, Matador, and Beer Connoisseur). Portland now boasts over 70 craft breweries!

Plan to attend our big outdoor party at the Fields Neighborhood Park to find the broadest selection of local beers, ciders and wine, originating from Portland, Oregon breweries. Only beers, plus ciders and wine, crafted within the city limits of Portland are featured at the PCBF which makes it unique and different from other beer festivals. PCBF is held annually the first full weekend in July, helping to kick off Oregon Craft Beer Month.

homoe
07-04-2019, 11:13 AM
PCBF looks forward to our FIFTH celebration of Portland craft beer with a four day festival in 2019: Thursday July 4th, Friday July 5th, Saturday July 6th, & Sunday July 7th. Tickets are available now through Bold Type Tickets.

Portland, Oregon continues to hold the title of The Best Beer City in the World (Travel and Leisure, Matador, and Beer Connoisseur). Portland now boasts over 70 craft breweries!

Plan to attend our big outdoor party at the Fields Neighborhood Park to find the broadest selection of local beers, ciders and wine, originating from Portland, Oregon breweries. Only beers, plus ciders and wine, crafted within the city limits of Portland are featured at the PCBF which makes it unique and different from other beer festivals. PCBF is held annually the first full weekend in July, helping to kick off Oregon Craft Beer Month.

In a recent phone call, someone reminded me we were told about this event back in May!

homoe
07-04-2019, 07:56 PM
1:00 PM - 6:00 PM Hip Chicks do Wine 4510 SE 23rd Avenue, Portland

What goes better with Pinot than Pork??!!

A fun pairing of Porky goodness with our Pinot Gris, Pinot Noir and our limited production Ports. Menu TBA. This is a come and go event with no need to be here at a specific time. However tickets are limited so be sure to purchase early. Tasting Fee of $18 in advance or $20 at the door includes a tasting of 3 wines and two of our limited production Ports paired with small bites.

Additional wines available by the glass.

homoe
07-07-2019, 10:19 AM
Portland Expo Center July 13 - 14 / Saturday - Sunday

There’s nothing more enjoyable than strolling around on a beautiful day, going treasure hunting at an all vintage show. The range of diversity makes sure there is something for everyone. Some examples include jukeboxes, vintage clothing, 40s kitchenware, estate jewelry, old tools, fishing, pop culture items from the 1970s and 80s, princess phones, die-cast toys, old board games, Sci-Fi books and comics and, well you get the drift....

homoe
07-07-2019, 08:27 PM
Portland Expo Center July 13 - 14 / Saturday - Sunday

There’s nothing more enjoyable than strolling around on a beautiful day, going treasure hunting at an all vintage show. The range of diversity makes sure there is something for everyone. Some examples include jukeboxes, vintage clothing, 40s kitchenware, estate jewelry, old tools, fishing, pop culture items from the 1970s and 80s, princess phones, die-cast toys, old board games, Sci-Fi books and comics and, well you get the drift....

Sorry in the previous post I forgot to include the address! It's 2060 N Marine Dr, The Portland Expo Center is a convention center located in the Kenton neighborhood of Portland.

homoe
07-13-2019, 08:00 AM
Bike ride taking place today.

Kaiser Permanente Seattle to Portland. This 200+ mile bicycle ride is the largest multi-day bicycle event in the Northwest, with up to 10,000 participants riding from Seattle to Portland in one or two days. The route takes you through the scenic valleys, forests, and farmlands of western Washington and Oregon.

homoe
07-14-2019, 11:23 AM
Funhouse Lounge 2432 SE 11th Ave Portland, OR (503) 841-6734

Every day at 7:00pm between July 17th and July 21st

Now in its third year, this fest bills itself as “the first multi-day, multi-venue queer-performer focused comedy festival in the United States.” Acts include Kids in the Hall’s Scott Thompson doing queer-ascot-icon Buddy Cole and Nico Santos of Crazy Rich Asians. Performance times and venues vary the festival is spread across the Funhouse Lounge, Curious Comedy Theater, Kickstand, Rogue Brewing, and Ford Food & Drink, so check the website for details.

homoe
07-20-2019, 06:23 AM
Saturday, July 20 at 10:00 am 5:00 pm → more dates through December 22, 2019 Governor Tom McCall Waterfront Park SW Oak Street And Naito Parkway, Portland

Portland Saturday Market, the largest arts-and-crafts fair in the United States, opens every Saturday and Sunday from March–December. The market combines the vibes of an arts show, a live street concert and an open-air bazaar, this riverside market has been a beloved Rose City tradition since 1974. In fact, the market is considered the largest continually operating arts-and-crafts fair in the United States, drawing up to 750,000 visitors during its annual season.

Website
http://www.portlandsaturdaymarket.com/

homoe
07-20-2019, 07:07 PM
Portlandia Mermaid Parade Sat 12 – 4 PM Japanese American Historical Plaza
2 N.W. Naito Parkway, Portland

Portlandia Mermaid Parade is grassroots artistic event aimed at celebrating the community's connection to Portland's rivers and port history as well as celebrating all things mermaid and water-myth related

The name 'Portlandia' is in honor of the river goddess sculpture created by Raymond Kaskey, currently located above the entrance of the Portland Building located in downtown Portland. Portlandia is the second-largest copper repoussé statue in the United States, after the Statue of Liberty.

The Portlandia Mermaid Parade is also intended to celebrate the living culture of professional mermaid entertainers now thriving in Oregon and through out the Northwest who help to bring the magic and mythology of water myths to people everywhere. The Portlandia Mermaid Parade also recognizes the increasing struggle for creatives in the region to express their artistic ventures without the negative impacts of gentrification and other limits placed upon them.

The parade is a revitalization of Portland's artistic energy and an opportunity for creatives to have a more public forum for fantasy-based self-expression.

Chad
07-21-2019, 06:01 AM
Looks like I am going to Portland. There is a conference there that I need to speak at. Homeo I hope to see you and have some fun.

:cowboy:

Chad
07-21-2019, 06:25 AM
The one thing that I really want in Portland is that yummy west coast coffee. I can't wait to taste that.

homoe
07-21-2019, 07:23 AM
Looks like I am going to Portland. There is a conference there that I need to speak at. Homeo I hope to see you and have some fun.

Chad, that would be nice, however I'm still living in WA state!

I did visit Portland back in May and fell in love with it! I've posted a lot of places we visited, scan them and see if any strike your fancy.

I hope to return again but I have no idea when :|

homoe
07-21-2019, 07:26 AM
The one thing that I really want in Portland is that yummy west coast coffee. I can't wait to taste that.

My traveling companion raved about the coffees! Seeing as I'm not a coffee drinker I took her word for it...

Chad
07-21-2019, 08:53 AM
Pardon me, I thought you lived near Portland. I am starting to think that I need to take some time off after the conference to visit friends on the west coast. I hope to have a friend traveling with me so that sounds like a good vacation.

homoe
07-21-2019, 05:04 PM
Chad, that would be nice, however I'm still living in WA state!

I did visit Portland back in May and fell in love with it! I've posted a lot of places we visited, scan them and see if any strike your fancy.

I hope to return again but I have no idea when :|

Chad, I neglected to mention most of the posts I refer to about Portland, I posted in the "If You're Ever Here, Go there" thread..

homoe
07-22-2019, 03:57 PM
Pardon me, I thought you lived near Portland. I am starting to think that I need to take some time off after the conference to visit friends on the west coast. I hope to have a friend traveling with me so that sounds like a good vacation.

OMG yes Chad do visit Portland by all means!! Unfortunately we had time constraints and couldn't spend as much time as we would of liked. We did make the most of our time tho, was on the go early and never got back to the hotel until late. We left the car at the hotel and used Uber & Portland's transits system for the most part.

We ran into the most helpful and courtesy folks in any city I've ever visited including Chicago, especially once we commented how this was our visit time in Portland. We got recommendations right & left where to go, what to do, see, etc etc!

I can't wait to get back there for a second visit.....:hangloose:

homoe
07-28-2019, 06:32 PM
~~~
In today's Sunday Seattle Times, a column ran about a solo trip experienced by journalist Taylor Blatchford of Seattle.

Of course she mentioned Powell's Books, but other discoveries of her's as well included Ecliptic Brewing, Deschutes Brewing, Pok Pok, and Blue Star Donuts.

She also mentioned several nature places she explored and if you're into that and have access to reading the Seattle Times may I suggest reading the article.

homoe
08-01-2019, 05:55 PM
Fremont Fest August 3, Fremont Street Free

Fremont Street is closed from 42nd to 50th for Fremont Fest, including a 10 a.m. parade of pets and kids on bikes, music stages, a kids’ zone, and 125 vendors.

homoe
08-04-2019, 08:15 AM
Bike or walk the bridges August 11, 2019 Portland locations

Bridge Pedal is a 5-mile walk or a 3 to 18 mile ride with stunning views from atop Portland bridges. Register early, and bring a helmet. No dogs or skates.

homoe
08-04-2019, 07:34 PM
BeerQuest Haunted Pub Tour Friday Aug 9th 7pm

Guided tour uncover Portland’s dark side on this spine-tingling walking tour and hear firsthand accounts of paranormal encounters.

For more info contact Kells Irish Pub

homoe
08-13-2019, 03:10 PM
Boz Scaggs Tues Aug 13, 7 pm, Revolution Hall

Like mushrooms after rain, vinyl copies of Boz Scaggs’ Silk Degrees tend to sprout up overnight in people’s record collections. The former Steve Miller Band guitarist’s blockbuster from bygone days, a surprisingly ambidextrous collision of string-laden R&B, gently discofied beats, singer/songwriter introspection, and Springsteen-esque bar-band bravado.

Scaggs has apparently recorded dozens of other albums that you’ve never heard, and presumably he’ll play songs from some of them tonight, but expect those Silk Degrees jams to be the meat of the set list.

homoe
10-11-2019, 06:22 AM
Oregon Democratic U.S. Rep. Earl Blumenauer called for a boycott Wednesday of all hotels owned and operated by Gordon Sondland, who is wrapped up in the Ukraine controversy.

Sondland is the current U.S. ambassador to the European Union and is also the founder of the boutique hotel company Provenance Hotels. The company has six hotels in Portland including Hotel Lucia, The Heathman and Sentinel.
A spokesman for Sondland has responded, saying that participating in a boycott would only harm Oregon hotel workers.

Congressional investigators are interested in Sondland because he and another diplomat had talked to Ukranian leaders about how to respond to pressure from Trump to investigate political rival and former Vice President Joe Biden.

He originally indicated he would cooperate with the impeachment inquiry, but the Trump administration blocked his testimony.

kittygrrl
10-11-2019, 12:46 PM
Oregon Democratic U.S. Rep. Earl Blumenauer called for a boycott Wednesday of all hotels owned and operated by Gordon Sondland, who is wrapped up in the Ukraine controversy.

Sondland is the current U.S. ambassador to the European Union and is also the founder of the boutique hotel company Provenance Hotels. The company has six hotels in Portland including Hotel Lucia, The Heathman and Sentinel.
A spokesman for Sondland has responded, saying that participating in a boycott would only harm Oregon hotel workers.

Congressional investigators are interested in Sondland because he and another diplomat had talked to Ukranian leaders about how to respond to pressure from Trump to investigate political rival and former Vice President Joe Biden.

He originally indicated he would cooperate with the impeachment inquiry, but the Trump administration blocked his testimony.

Boycotts can be very effective. I believe in them!:hangloose:

homoe
01-31-2020, 09:15 AM
Jan. 31–Feb. 1, 2020 Cost: $13 Oregon Convention Center 777 NE Martin Luther King Jr Blvd Portland

Enjoy entertainment, lots of fresh Oregon seafood, wine, craft beers, cider, and distilled spirits at the 15th Annual Portland Seafood & Wine Festival.

Taste some of Oregon’s best wines from over 60 wineries and munch on deliciously fresh seafood at the peak of Dungeness Crab season. Bring the whole family to enjoy face painters, balloon artists, and more.

homoe
02-09-2020, 06:18 PM
Portland hit Joe’s Burgers comes to Washington...

Portland-based Joe’s Burgers has expanded with its first Washington-state outpost, located at The Village at Totem Lake. (Pssst, in June, Portland-based Salt & Straw plans to open an outpost in this mall as well.)

homoe
02-17-2020, 06:23 AM
According to an article in Sunday's travel section of the Seattle Times beginning April 12th JSX (formerly JetSuiteX) will add a Seattle to Portland route to its roster of public charter flights.

The article goes on to compare various methods of travel to Portland from Seattle such as driving, busing, and of course both train lines.

homoe
02-17-2020, 06:44 AM

You know the only time I went to Portland I really lucked out with traffic! Sunday's article mentioned traffic several times throughout and so not wanting to press my luck, next trip I believe I'll take that 45 minute flight for $49..:flying:

homoe
02-29-2020, 12:45 AM
https://www.opentable.com/img/startpagepromo/Carousel_PortlandDM20.jpg

Portland Dining Month March 1st - March 31st

Every March, more than 100 Portland restaurants serve up three courses for just $33 nightly.

by booking with OpenTable through the links at travelportland.com/dining-month.*

Be sure to check out the restaurants serving Portland Charity Cocktails. Your cocktail purchase will benefit our partner agency, Transition Projects.

*Only reservations made through the OpenTable links on Travel Portland’s website will prompt a donation to Oregon Food Bank.

homoe
02-29-2020, 12:56 AM
https://redtricom.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/tulip-feast.jpg?w=400

Wooden Shoe Tulip Farm 33814 S. Meridian Rd. Woodburn OR 97071

Portland’s cherry blossoms are impressive, but an even more colorful burst of flowers appears every spring just 32 miles (51 km) south of the city in Woodburn. There, the Wooden Shoe Tulip Festival blossoms each spring, and thousands come to see acres upon acres of tulips in full bloom. The family-friendly festival returns March 20–May 3, 2020.

homoe
02-29-2020, 11:01 AM
Every tradition has a beginning, and oftentimes those beginnings are by pure chance. Take Oregon’s largest tulip festival at Wooden Shoe Tulip Farm in Woodburn, now in its 35th year.

If it wasn’t for a neighbor’s suggestion in 1985 for the Iverson family to open their fields to the public, the Wooden Shoe Tulip Fest might not exist. The family started growing tulips in 1974 after a farmer in Canby, who had been contract growing the flowers, decided to hang up his gardening gloves. In 1980, the contractor they had been working with retired, and the family bought the bulbs to start growing them for the wholesale bulb market.

“It was a struggle, so in 1983, we started Wooden Shoe Bulb Company to try and help sell bulbs to the retail market,” said Barb. “We’d go to all these garden shows and we didn’t sell much. After two years we thought, maybe this was a bad idea. But then we thought, you know Easter’s coming and the fields will be in bloom.”

So after taking their neighbor’s advice to open the fields, they purchased an ad in the local paper and opened for Easter weekend. And 35 years later, Wooden Shoe Tulip Fest has grown into the largest tulip festival in the state and one of the three largest in the Pacific Northwest.

homoe
04-19-2020, 09:09 AM
Hoxton Hotel 15 NW 4th Ave, Portland

Located right in the thick of historic Old Town Chinatown, an area that has an incredible past and exciting future. From here, you can easily hop on a bus to take a hike around Forest Park or jump on the MAX to get to Washington Park for killer views of the city. In Portland, nature is nurture, it’s all here on your doorstep.

Select from 119 rooms with four types to choose from - Shoebox, Snug, Cosy, or Roomy. Cleverly designed to make the most of the space, each is decked out with rich walnut paneling and mid-century touches, plus artwork selected by Upfor, ceramics by Clay Factor and bookshelves curated by our Hox Friends. Find the usual Hox perks too including free WiFi and calls to anywhere in the world.

I found this information and much more about various Portland venues in of all places All Recipe Magazine.

Baby_Yoda
04-19-2020, 09:27 AM
Portland is all right, however, Oregon holds much better places to visit in my opinion than Portland. Multiple towns down the coast, travel east a bit and visit some of the attractions in Central Oregon... The list is endless. And as for nature in Portland... Not so much though more than many large cities admittedly. Either way, Oregon is beautiful.

homoe
04-19-2020, 09:31 AM
Portland is all right, however, Oregon holds much better places to visit in my opinion than Portland. Multiple towns down the coast, travel east a bit and visit some of the attractions in Central Oregon... The list is endless. And as for nature in Portland... Not so much though more than many large cities admittedly. Either way, Oregon is beautiful.

hey, thanks! I'd be driving down from WA state!

Baby_Yoda
04-19-2020, 09:51 AM
Yes. We used to make the drive from my hometown in Oregon to Suquamish every year. The ferry was always one of my favorite parts. Granted I was 12 last time we did that.

homoe
04-19-2020, 06:49 PM
Yes. We used to make the drive from my hometown in Oregon to Suquamish every year. The ferry was always one of my favorite parts. Granted I was 12 last time we did that.

I recently checked and that ferry still seems to be in service.....:hangloose:

homoe
04-19-2020, 07:00 PM
Feast Portland Dates: Sat, Sep 12, 2020 – Sun, Sep 20, 2020 Location: Tom McCall Waterfront Park, Portland

Too early to know if this will go on as planned, but I'd sure be willing to take it in..:eating:

homoe
04-19-2020, 07:11 PM
:chef2:

The Screen Door, Broder Cafe, and Canard are some of the many places I hope to sample!

homoe
04-19-2020, 07:33 PM
Freeland Spirits 2671 NW Vaughn St, Portland

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/R7KlCCicJkw/maxresdefault.jpg

Portland distillery with a full cocktail bar and food menu.

homoe
04-28-2020, 10:08 AM
McMenamins UFO Festival Thursday–Saturday May 14–16, 2020

Every May, thousands flock to McMinnville, a quiet Willamette Valley town located an hour southwest of Portland, to the famous three-day McMenamins UFO Festival. Second in popularity only to the UFO festival in Roswell, New Mexico, Oregon’s annual celebration features a UFO parade, expert speakers, live (free!) music indoors and out, a 5K run, a pet costume contest, events with the featured speakers, a ‘landing party’ with vendor booths and more. Founded in 1999, this UFO Festival began at the historic McMenamins Hotel Oregon property as a way to honor the famous 1950 Trent sighting in the area, and has evolved into an epic celebration of all things extraterrestrial.

This is still being advertised and even after doing a google search I couldn't find out if it's been canceled or not. Anyone around that area know for sure if it's still on?

homoe
04-28-2020, 10:19 AM
McMenamins UFO Festival Thursday–Saturday May 14–16, 2020

Every May, thousands flock to McMinnville, a quiet Willamette Valley town located an hour southwest of Portland, to the famous three-day McMenamins UFO Festival. Second in popularity only to the UFO festival in Roswell, New Mexico, Oregon’s annual celebration features a UFO parade, expert speakers, live (free!) music indoors and out, a 5K run, a pet costume contest, events with the featured speakers, a ‘landing party’ with vendor booths and more. Founded in 1999, this UFO Festival began at the historic McMenamins Hotel Oregon property as a way to honor the famous 1950 Trent sighting in the area, and has evolved into an epic celebration of all things extraterrestrial.

This is still being advertised and even after doing a google search I couldn't find out if it's been canceled or not. Anyone around that area know for sure if it's still on?

Oh, looks like it's been postponed until September 19.

homoe
05-08-2020, 03:36 PM
I do believe Portland will be the first road trip I'll take when we're allowed to travel freely.........:carride:

justkim
05-09-2020, 08:31 AM
Haven't you heard? Oregon is closed as our Governor is a complete idiot. :superfunny:

I do believe Portland will be the first road trip I'll take when we're allowed to travel freely.........:carride:

homoe
05-09-2020, 01:17 PM
Haven't you heard? Oregon is closed as our Governor is a complete idiot. :superfunny:

My motto is "better safe than sorry" so I don't mind waiting....