PDA

View Full Version : Currently Playing

Jess
02-16-2010, 10:46 AM
Thought it might be a good way to share current documentaries/ films etc in one thread...

Right now on LOGO :
The Opposite Sex: Rene's Story....Events lead up to a female-to-male gender reassignment surgery.

Please post what you're watching!

Kenna
02-16-2010, 11:02 AM
Thought it might be a good way to share current documentaries/ films etc in one thread...

Right now on LOGO :
The Opposite Sex: Rene's Story....Events lead up to a female-to-male gender reassignment surgery.

awww, I don't have cable or dish...can't watch anything currently playing without going to the movies. All I get is old stuff from Netflix :( :(
But I look forward to reading everyone's posts and hearing about what I'm missing... Thanks Jess!

weatherboi
02-16-2010, 11:24 AM
That sounds like a great movie!!! Thanks!!!

I am enjoying all documentaries related to food but my favorite one currently is this

http://www.foodincmovie.com/about-the-film.php

Right now on LOGO :

Liam
02-16-2010, 12:37 PM
awww, I don't have cable or dish...can't watch anything currently playing without going to the movies. All I get is old stuff from Netflix :( :(
But I look forward to reading everyone's posts and hearing about what I'm missing... Thanks Jess!

Netflix has some great documentaries, go ahead and share them!

I really enjoyed Ghengis Blues, the story of a blind blues musician's journey to Tuva to compete in a national throat singing competition.

Apocalipstic
02-16-2010, 01:02 PM
I am watching History of Britain ordered from Netflix.

I love Netflix.

Lady Jewel
02-16-2010, 01:43 PM
Thank you for sharing this Jess. I just set the DVR for it. :)

Jewel

Right now on LOGO :

Blade
02-16-2010, 01:52 PM
Dang why don't that stuff come on when I'm home? Every documentary I've seen but 2 or 3 have been MTF, I'd like to see more FTM documentaries

Right now on LOGO :

Jess
02-16-2010, 05:43 PM
I got to see part of it this afternoon but missed the intro. GRR.. Will try to catch it again in it's entire length. I set the DVR up to record it for Christie also. From what I did see, it is an amazing story on many levels.

After watching it all I may end up starting a thread about it. It touches on a hella lot of different issues for both the FTM and his wife, family, church. Really powerful stuff!

Thanks for links and suggestions to other documentaries. There are some wonderful filmmakers out there telling stories now that have never been heard.

Kenna
02-16-2010, 11:28 PM
Netflix has some great documentaries, go ahead and share them!

I really enjoyed Ghengis Blues, the story of a blind blues musician's journey to Tuva to compete in a national throat singing competition.

Thank you Liam.

I REALLY seriously enjoyed "Wild China" (it has six episodes). I love all things travel related, wanted to be a geographer, geologist, biologist, oceanographer and/or archeologist - and pilot biplanes too! :flying::flying: - when I was younger (and not so wrapped up in raising a family). I still have a passion for our diverse planet and learning about different cultures. This documentary about China had STUNNING photography, was very well written & edited and was very detailed about the various cultures, natural habitats and the history of China. The political turmoil in China prevents many authors/producers of documentaries from sharing various things with the outside world (no offense intended to anyone with Asian Heritage...but from what I've been told, the Chinese Government censors very heavily). Considering that, I was extremely impressed with this series on China.

My sister speaks several languages fluently... Chinese being her most current... while taking linguistics classes, she also acquired a History Major. I found many things in this series to strike up conversations with her about...on common grounds. Not just your regular small talk...

This documentary gave me a new respect for the heritage, culture and history of all the ethnic groups mentioned in "Wild China".

AtLast
03-07-2010, 12:55 PM
http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2008/scream.bloody.murder/

Christiane Amanpour Reports

Scream bloody Murder: A French priest in Cambodia. An idealistic U.S. Senate staffer in Iraq. A Canadian general in Rwanda. Each one tried to focus the world's attention on genocide. Each time, they were shunned, ignored or told it was someone else's problem.

Jess
05-10-2011, 06:03 PM
Our America with Lisa Ling

OWN Network

Transgender Lives Special ( 2011) Five transgender people across America

Sparkle
05-10-2011, 06:16 PM
Glee! :) >>>>

Duchess
05-16-2011, 12:53 PM
Has anyone seen Priest yet?

BestButchBoy
11-28-2013, 08:22 AM
Docs:
20 Feet From Stardom [I now communicate regularly with Lisa Fischer!]

Looking For Sugarman-Sixto Rodriguez was/is everything Bob Dylan isn't. Amazing story.

Film:
Rush-Great biopic.
12 Years A Slave-Moving.
The Butler-Good story, but, I had trouble with suspension of disbelief with Oprah.

How about you? What do you like and suggest?

BestButchBoy
11-28-2013, 03:58 PM
I just saw Dallas Buyer's Club. All I can say is, Jared Leto gave a brave and heart-wrenching performance.

Time worthy. A fervent reminder of what people have gone thru, go thru.

Nat
11-28-2013, 08:42 PM
Scandal Season 3 "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner"

Girl_On_Fire
11-28-2013, 09:13 PM
At the moment I'm watching, "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest".

If anyone is looking for an insightful documentary, I recommend "The Shaman's Apprentice", about the attempt to preserve the ancient and sacred art of Native American medicine. It's amazing how much of this live-saving, healing culture has been destroyed or lost in favor of what we now call progress.

Kätzchen
11-29-2013, 02:57 PM
Don't know if it's a fetish of mine (or not), but whistling seems to have been a part of my 'universe' for some time now. Thought I'd leave a couple of items of interest, things I listened too yesterday or watched online .... sort of an exploration on "Whistling, Whistler, Whistle' from my evening, last night.

Radio (1940s era): The Whistler

"I am the Whistler, and I know many things, for I walk by night. I know many strange tales, hidden in the hearts of men and women who have stepped into the shadows. Yes... I know the nameless terrors of which they dare not speak..... Tonight's Tale: "The Voice In The Dark."

Original Air Date: July 25, 1942
Episode Number: 11

YxMAuvh9KEA

Film Noir: Return of the Whistler (1948)

(William Castle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Castle))

SUK990jjROg

Bonus Film: Comrade X (December 13th, 1940)

A light-hearted spy movie, starring: Hedy Lamarr & Clark Gable.
Gable's housecoat in polka-dots was ..... awesome. :)

DK7WSluCEp0

-xXx :stillheart: xXx-

Girl_On_Fire
11-29-2013, 03:06 PM
Don't know if it's a fetish of mine (or not), but whistling seems to have been a part of my 'universe' for some time now. Thought I'd leave a couple of items of interest, things I listened too yesterday or watched online .... sort of an exploration on "Whistling, Whistler, Whistle' from my evening, last night.

Ha! I thought I was the only one who still liked these old-time radio shows. I download them from iTunes. :)

Jess
12-09-2013, 03:17 AM
I first heard her story on NPR in a segment from TheMoth.org If you haven't heard of this filmmaker or her Film, please check out this link. Listen to her story and be sure to watch the trailer. I have no doubt it is a documentary most of this community will enjoy.

http://themoth.org/posts/stories/life-flight

Kimberly Reed : Life Flight

homoe
02-20-2015, 05:55 PM
Advanced Style, (2014) About Fashion Plates of a Certain Vintage

Advanced Style examines the lives of seven unique New Yorkers whose eclectic personal style and vital spirit have guided their approach to aging.

homoe
02-20-2015, 06:00 PM
Lunch 2012

For the past 40 years, a group of comedy writers and directors has gathered every other Wednesday for lunch - and other nourishment. These are the fabled guys that made America funny.

Stars: Sid Caesar, Monty Hall, Arthur Hiller, Carl Reiner

homoe
02-20-2015, 06:04 PM
Finding Vivian Maier (2013 Posthumous view of photographer)

A documentary on the late Vivian Maier, a nanny whose previously unknown cache of 100,000 photographs earned her a posthumous reputation as one of the most accomplished street photographers.

homoe
02-20-2015, 06:06 PM
Public Speaking (2010 Documentary with Fran Liebowitz)

A feature-length documentary starring Fran Lebowitz, a writer known for her unique take on modern life. The film weaves together extemporaneous monologues with archival footage and the effect is a portrait of Fran's worldview and experiences.

homoe
02-20-2015, 06:13 PM
Last Will and Embezzlement (2010 Financial and exploitation of the elderly)
"
Last Will and Embezzlement" is a feature-length documentary which examines the financial exploitation of the elderly. Its creation was inspired by the recent, true-life events in the family of Pamela Glasner. Its focus is much more universal because the problem is, without question, universal. Of all the illegal and illicit enterprises in the world, elder exploitation is among the safest and most lucrative. It is a criminal's dream. It carries the least amount of risk, requires minimal outlay, can be done right from your living room, is virtually unreported by its victims - and then, even when it IS reported, it's perpetrators are practically never prosecuted.

homoe
02-20-2015, 06:18 PM
GasLand (2010)

Can you imagine being able to light your tap water on fire? This is just one of the many shocking results due to the natural gas drilling boom which has swept the United States. The Halliburton-developed drilling technology called hydraulic fracturing or "fracking" has unlocked a "Saudi Arabia of natural gas" just beneath us. But is fracking safe? Josh Fox encounters EPA whistleblowers, congressmen, world recognized scientists, and some of the most incredibly inspiring and heart-wrenching stories of ordinary Americans fighting against fossil fuel giants for environmental justice.

homoe
02-20-2015, 06:22 PM
Banksy Does New York (2014 displays of street artists works in 31 days)

Documentary chronicling the famed street artist's "31 works of art in 31 days" in New York city.

homoe
04-05-2016, 08:05 PM
Mapplethorpe: Look at the Pictures HBO

homoe
04-08-2016, 04:38 PM
Starting Saturday April 8th on HBO "Nothing Left Unsaid": Gloria Vanderbilt and Anderson Cooper :movieguy:

(If I'm not mistaken, it will re-air on CNN later in the week as well)

homoe
04-12-2016, 04:44 PM
Everything Is Copy (2015) HBO

A look at the life and work of writer/filmmaker Nora Ephron.

homoe
04-13-2016, 09:13 PM
Starting April 16th on HBO Confirmation cast: Kerry Washington, Zoe Lister-Jones, Erika Christensen

Confirmation chronicles the intense confirmation battle for Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas after Anita Hill, a former employee, claimed he sexually harassed her.

Allison W
04-16-2016, 11:51 AM
A good friend (OK, my crush) got me started watching a web show called RWBY (pronounced "Ruby,"), an indie-studio animated action/dark fantasy anime-inspired show about four young women training to fight monsters. It's kind of complicated to describe, but it happens to take a lot of inspiration from fairy tales, mythology, literature, and in some cases history and 20th-century classics. Also, it has a great soundtrack and fight scenes.

On the other hand the first couple of volumes, the first one especially, were dragged down by resource and time limitations (shoestring indie-studio budget) that resulted in things like bad animation outside of fight scenes in the first couple volumes, as well as what was intended to be the first season ending up getting dragged out over three volumes (the most recent of which just finished in February). The VAs also began as an almost all-amateur cast, so the voice acting wasn't so great in the early run. A lot of people apparently quit watching in the first and second volumes and didn't get drawn back in until the third.

It really got its shit together in the third volume, though. Production values went way up, the voice actors grew into their roles (there was some pretty impressive voice work from the recurring-character cast despite the lot of them beginning as amateurs), and the animation improved so much that the volume 3 finale gave me a whole new appreciation for animation in scenes that are just two characters talking to each other. Also the tone shift from more comedic in the first two volumes to the aforementioned "dark fantasy" genre thing in the third volume really hit the spot for me because I'm apparently one of those people who likes watching heroes face extraordinary adversity. The character modeling still has some technical hiccups but oh well nothing's perfect.

Also I'm pretty sure that either two of the main characters are being set up for a future romance arc together or this is some of the vilest queer-baiting I've ever seen, but the last couple episodes got me emotionally invested in it and now I have like a physical need for it to happen and if it doesn't happen I'm gonna cry and I am dying of hiatus fever 'cause Volume 4 isn't coming till fall and is it fall yet someone tell me it's fall

(I am too old for this shit)

but yeah there's a lot of stuff I want to say about this show but I can't because spoilers

It's a web show, though, so if I can get anyone here interested in watching it, I could see about livestreaming it so we could watch it as a group or something.

homoe
05-09-2016, 09:44 PM
Home Box Office :

Claude Lanzmann: Spectres of the Shoah

Featuring insights from filmmaker Claude Lanzmann, this Oscar-nominated doc charts one man's struggle to convey the pure horror of the Holocaust on film, and the burden he carried thereafter.

homoe
05-21-2016, 03:09 PM
All the Way Bryan Cranston Mesmerizes as LBJ in HBO tonight's presentation

JDeere
09-27-2016, 11:03 PM
Killer Legends, on Netflix. It's more of a documentary.

homoe
10-06-2016, 05:21 PM
Class Divide HBO Director Marc Levin

Director Marc Levin brings new focus to the effects of hyper-gentrification in his documentary about New York City’s West Chelsea, where an elite private school and public housing project share an intersection.

homoe
10-06-2016, 06:15 PM
Queen Sugar OWN

homoe
05-02-2017, 09:53 AM
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks (Now playing on HBO)

homoe
05-11-2017, 02:56 AM
Warning: This Drug May Kill you HBO...

Told from the perspectives of four families devastated by opioid addiction, Warning: This Drug May Kill You offers a harrowing, unflinching look at the deadly epidemic currently facing the United States.

homoe
05-11-2017, 02:58 AM
Abortion: Stories Women Tell.....

A thought-provoking look at the subject of abortion today, told through the stories of women struggling with unplanned pregnancies, abortion providers and clinic staff and activists on both sides of this contentious debate.

homoe
05-17-2017, 10:36 PM
NGipXO3OmFw

Just a heads up.............this starts Saturday May 20th

Kätzchen
05-18-2017, 11:04 AM
NGipXO3OmFw (YouTube video i.d.)

Just a heads up.............this starts Saturday May 20th

Thanks homoe for posting about the latest new HBO movie series offering: The Wizard of Lies (starring Robert DeNiro and Michelle Pfeiffer as Bernie Maddoff and his wife Ruth).

I came across a news story about it, authored by Courtney Cox on Today. There was an priceless statement by Robert DeNiro at the very end of the story, but no one would ever know that editors deleted DeNiro's priceless statement about 45....I'm guessing they edited it within a couple of hours after it rippled across the news wires. I called my bff (C) to have her dvr the HBO movie so I can see it next week.

Link to edited by-line story in Today:

http://www.today.com/home/wizard-lies-created-bernie-madoff-s-apartment-fbi-photos-t111657

homoe
05-20-2017, 04:19 AM
The Keepers Netflix........... A seven-part docuseries about the unsolved murder of a nun Sister Cathy Cesnik and the horrific secrets and pain that linger nearly five decades after her death.

WOW I'm speechless just speechless!

Kätzchen
05-20-2017, 11:25 AM
The Keepers netflix........... A seven-part docuseries about the unsolved murder of a nun Sister Cathy Cesnik and the horrific secrets and pain that linger nearly five decades after her death.

WOW I'm speechless just speechless!

Here's an link to an superbly written article, from the Washington Post:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/arts-and-entertainment/wp/2017/05/20/the-keepers-is-true-crime-with-a-fresh-perspective-the-victims/?utm_term=.42308790eab4

As an sexual assault survivor, I know what it feels like to be silenced, not believed, doubted. I hope the docuseries proves useful in helping others to understand how terrible it is for those of us who know first hand how this feels.

Thanks for the heads up, homoe.

homoe
05-26-2017, 11:10 PM
Love Connection hosted by Andy Cohen Thursday nights Fox network

I taped and watched this basically to see how it compares to the very classy "First Date" produced by Ellen!

I am only expressing MY opinion here":

They've made a few changes to the original Love Connection hosted by Chuck Woolery. Scoring someone's attractiveness by first impressions, and offering a 10 thousand dollar "prize" if the contestant discards their choice for the second date and goes with the audiences pick.

This first episode went fairly well, but I can see this soon deteriorating into a real bloodbath purely for either shock value or ratings! By comparison, it falters greatly IMHO:scarytv:

homoe
05-28-2017, 07:23 PM
yr85aIIrDHU

Starts June 5th on HBO...........

Gemme
05-29-2017, 07:39 AM
I liked Love Connection but I liked the original too. I do enjoy First Dates more because it has some whimsy to it. I saw Beat Shazam and even though I like Jamie Foxx, I don't think it will last. It is highly impressive how fast some of the folks could pick out a song, though.

homoe
06-20-2017, 04:05 AM
PBS is re-ruining this again (2014) and it's a look back of the LGBT-rights movement in Florida's Miami-Dade County

It focuses on when gay rights activists and conservative singer Anita Bryant fought over the passage of the human rights ordinance, which prevented discrimination based on sexual orientation. The documentary shows how it galvanized the gay rights movement in Florida and beyond. Bryant lead a hateful campaign to get it appealed and won! It took more than 20 years for the law to get passed again.

homoe
06-20-2017, 04:10 AM
Real Boy

Real Boy is an story of a family in transition. As 19-year-old Bennett Wallace navigates early sobriety, late adolescence, and the evolution of his gender identity, his mother makes her own transformation from resistance to acceptance of her trans son. Along the way, both mother and son find support in their communities, reminding us that families are not only given, but chosen.

This aired last night but hopefully they'll run it again during the summer in re-runs.

homoe
06-21-2017, 08:40 PM
Just a heads up that PBS will be running the prequel to Prime Suspect with Stefanie Martini in the iconic role immortalized by Helen Mirren. Prime Suspect: Tennison airs in three riveting 90-minute episodes airing on MASTERPIECE Mystery!

homoe
06-26-2017, 06:26 PM
Just another heads up that..........

Broadchurch Season 3 Premieres June 28 on the BBC

homoe
07-01-2017, 04:41 PM
Gypsy Netflix........

Started watching this and for some reason it minds me of a cross between Nurse Jackie and Big Little Lies. Very interesting premises I have to say, haven't seen much like it before as I recall. I'm enjoying it so far, check it out and see what you think

homoe
07-13-2017, 11:15 PM
Tour de Pharmacy, staring :Adam Sandler

A mockumentary on doping at the Tour de France. Many more unexpected people turn up in Tour de Pharmacy, from Mike Tyson to J.J. Abrams to Phylicia Rashad, but the real ace in the hole is Lance Armstrong, who appears in poorly shrouded silhouette.

homoe
07-24-2017, 09:27 AM
Netflix.........Ozark..............:hangloose:

homoe
08-01-2017, 03:45 PM
Nobody Speak: Hulk Hogan, Gawker And Trials Of A Free Press (2017) NetFlix

The trial between Hulk Hogan and Gawker Media pitted privacy rights against freedom of the press, and raised important questions about how big money can silence media

homoe
08-02-2017, 06:24 PM
Is anyone else watching Discovery Channel dramatization of the case of the Unabomber? I caught the first episode and liked it very much!

Kätzchen
08-02-2017, 06:27 PM
Nobody Speak: Hulk Hogan, Gawker And Trials Of A Free Press (2017) NetFlix

The trial between Hulk Hogan and Gawker Media pitted privacy rights against freedom of the press, and raised important questions about how big money can silence media

Oh, that looks like a good documentary to watch homoe!
I'm very interested in watching something like that. Will look it up on Netflix, shortly. *I found it* :)

:hangloose:

homoe
08-02-2017, 06:30 PM
I think the Discovery Channel is also airing or will soon be airing one about Son of Sam as well! I will more than likely not watch that! Was there ever any reason given why he shot all those folks?

Gemme
08-02-2017, 06:34 PM
I'm going to watch The Tick on Prime in 3 weeks!!!

Kätzchen
08-02-2017, 06:34 PM
I think the Discovery Channel is also airing or will soon be airing one about Son of Sam as well! I will more than likely not watch that! Was there ever any reason given why he shot all those folks?

I probably would not view it either. But I seem to remember that this event received tons of news coverage in the media
both on TV and in publications of newspapers or magazines.

Kätzchen
08-02-2017, 06:36 PM
I'm going to watch The Tick on Prime in 3 weeks!!!

*LOL* I might be jealous, but only in a good way. I'm adding your show to the list!! :)

homoe
08-02-2017, 06:39 PM
g0pct131wLw

homoe
08-07-2017, 06:50 AM
-A62K4Qw9PU

homoe
08-08-2017, 08:35 AM
George Lopez: The Wall, Live from Washington D.C.

A Lifetime Of Comedy And Jokes About Trump.

IMHO this is some funny stuff!!!

homoe
08-08-2017, 09:53 AM
OPEvuYOAaCc

homoe
08-08-2017, 10:19 AM
2BF-T6dFjk8

Kätzchen
08-08-2017, 03:55 PM
George Lopez: The Wall, Live from Washington D.C.

A Lifetime Of Comedy And Jokes About Trump.

IMHO this is some funny stuff!!!

I tend to agree with you about George Lopez...... I've watched him on HBO and his brand of satire is similar to that of Stephen Colbert. Lopez breaks it down, the racially motivated prejudice wielded by those of white privilege. And Colbert satirizes straight up hateful prejudice aimed at gay men....particularly at gay men who are not in line with being "politically correct."

At least, that's my take on both brands of satire. Satire is not easily understood though, especially satire that goes against the grain of what most people typically think satire is. I think it takes open-mindedness and a particular willingness to understand the subject being mocked.

But.... I totally appreciate comedians who command this type of performative genre. Colbert and Lopez, imo, rank side by side with other comedians such as Richard Pryor (whom I thought was outstanding), George Carlin and Dave Chapelle.

Of course, not all comedians are able to pull off political satire.

But, I guess anything could be polysemous.... including comedy, right??? :balloon:

homoe
08-11-2017, 09:30 AM
HBO's 'Brillo Box,' the true story of how a $1,000 purchase became a $3-million Warhol work of art.

homoe
08-19-2017, 08:16 PM
Monday's At Racine (2012)

Every third Monday of the month, two bold, brassy sisters open the doors of their Long Island hair salon to women diagnosed with cancer. As locks of hair fall to the floor, women gossip, giggle, weep, face their fears, and discover unexpected beauty.

homoe
08-23-2017, 08:38 AM
Certain Women Stars: Michelle Williams, Kristen Stewart, Laura Dern

The lives of three women intersect in small-town America, where each is imperfectly blazing a trail.

homoe
08-25-2017, 05:22 PM
The Intern Stars: Robert De Niro, Anne Hathaway, Rene Russo

70-year-old widower Ben Whittaker has discovered that retirement isn't all it's cracked up to be. Seizing an opportunity to get back in the game, he becomes a senior intern at an online fashion site, founded and run by Jules Ostin.

homoe
08-26-2017, 10:47 AM
Oh, forget The Intern that can wait. Instead catch....

Whitney: Can I Be Me Showtime 2017

Treat yourself to this! It's wonderful IMHO :hangloose:

Bèsame*
08-26-2017, 11:01 AM
I turned off the weather for now...

Tenderness
Russell Crowe, Jon Foster, Laura Dern

A troubled teen girl and an obsessed homicide detective both track a psychotic youth who has been released from prison after the murder of his parents.

Kätzchen
08-29-2017, 08:18 AM
Nothing today..... BUT.... I'm thinking about going to a movie over the holiday.

I'm a huge Huge H U G E fan of Planet of the Apes !

Gotta love a good sci-fi movie about ape's, right??? :cheer:

http://www.planetoftheapes.com/s3/news_post/primary_image/42/large_Dawn-of-the-Planet-of-the-Apes-Wallpaper.jpg

homoe
08-29-2017, 08:27 AM
Nothing today..... BUT.... I'm thinking about going to a movie over the holiday.

I'm a huge Huge H U G E fan of Planet of the Apes !

Gotta love a good sci-fi movie about ape's, right??? :cheer:

http://www.planetoftheapes.com/s3/news_post/primary_image/42/large_Dawn-of-the-Planet-of-the-Apes-Wallpaper.jpg

Oh Dear........................

Kätzchen
08-30-2017, 11:12 PM
I couldn't find the Movie Obsessions thread, so I guess I will post it here.

White Palace. ..... Susan Sarandon works as a waitress at a burger joint when this really fussy dude, Max (James Spader), picks up his order for burgers for the stag party he's at. He gets back to the stag party to find out he didn't get everything he ordered, just empty boxes. Sarandon is irritated that he came back to get his money back, but that's how they met each other....and fell in love ....

SO obsessed with White Palace! :blush:

homoe
08-30-2017, 11:46 PM
I couldn't find the Movie Obsessions thread, so I guess I will post it here.

White Palace. ..... Susan Sarandon works as a waitress at a burger joint when this really fussy dude, Max (James Spader), picks up his order for burgers for the stag party he's at. He gets back to the stag party to find out he didn't get everything he ordered, just empty boxes. Sarandon is irritated that he came back to get his money back, but that's how they met each other....and fell in love ....

SO obsessed with White Palace! :blush:

Miss Katz, did you know this was based on the novel by Glenn Savan? I read the book years ago and the movie stay pretty true to the book except for just one or two things.

homoe
09-01-2017, 08:33 AM
Far From Heaven........Stars: Julianne Moore, Dennis Quaid, Dennis Haysbert

In 1950s Connecticut, a housewife faces a marital crisis and mounting racial tensions in the outside world.

homoe
09-08-2017, 04:39 PM
Servicing In Silence: The Margarethe Cammermeyer Story 1995 Stars: Glenn Close, Judy Davis, Jan Rubes 1995

The true story of a decorated officer's legal challenge to her involuntary discharge when she admitted she was homosexual.

Sidebar: Obviously this was before gays could serve openly in our military, but with things going they way they are, who knows!

homoe
09-17-2017, 11:19 PM
PBS is running the new Ken Burns movie Vietnam

Kätzchen
09-24-2017, 09:56 PM
I saw a trailer for an orginial Netflix movie tonight at the theater, which comes out in October. It's called..... "Same Kind, Different As Me." It's about a young man who is on the autism spectrum who saves a person's life with the specialized skill of an surgeon? It looks like a really GQQD movie!

homoe
09-27-2017, 12:13 PM
Suite Francasise is currently playing on Netflix... stars:Michelle Williams, Kristin Scott Thomas, Margot Robbie (based on the book of the same name)

During the early years of Nazi occupation of France in World War II, romance blooms between Lucile Angellier (Michelle Williams), a French villager, and Bruno von Falk (Matthias Schoenaerts), a German soldier.

homoe
10-10-2017, 04:47 AM
Clouds of Sils Maria...........

homoe
12-30-2017, 05:53 PM
Season 1 of Big Little Lies on HBO

homoe
01-24-2018, 08:02 AM
Rotten......

Our food supply system is broken, corrupt, dirty, inhumane, and riddled with fraud. If you are not aware of this, you need to be. If you are, chances are good that Netflix’s new true crime series, Rotten, will contain at least some stories you’re familiar with, and probably a few things you didn’t know.

homoe
02-23-2018, 03:49 PM
Audrie and Daisy..............

A look at the effects that online bullying has on the lives of teenagers and their community.

homoe
03-27-2018, 07:08 PM
On HBO The Zen Diaries of Garry Shandling

It's a 2 parter...:popcorn:

homoe
04-07-2018, 10:58 PM
Well it's NOT currently playing BUT season 2 of Big Little Lies has began shooting!

Meryl Streep has officially arrived in Monterey to join the cast for Season 2.

Steep began shooting scenes as Mary Louise Wright, the mother of Perry Wright and mother-in-law of Nicole Kidman’s characters.

homoe
04-17-2018, 09:20 AM
Starz is airing a 4 part mini series entitled Howard's End which is very good!

Kätzchen
04-21-2018, 08:36 AM
The CBC website for Canadian arts and films just listed 6 must see indigenous films. Among the six selections, from the free online film catalogue to see is an film called First Stories: Two Spirited by film director and producer Sharon A. Desjarlais (2007).

Here's an direct link to the short documentary First Stories: Two Spirited:

https://www.nfb.ca/film/first_stories_two_spirited/

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/52/bc/2e/52bc2e4ec41e591c46c702ec2ed8a81b.jpg

Here's an link to the article and how to find the free indigenous movies to watch online:

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/there-s-a-massive-free-catalogue-of-indigenous-films-online-and-we-have-6-picks-to-get-you-started-1.4623884

homoe
05-11-2018, 01:33 AM
Circumstances force estranged sisters Lyn and Emma to return to their old neighborhood where they are confronted by their past and surprised by family revelations.

Watched the first episode and really enjoyed it!

homoe
05-11-2018, 09:50 AM
Circumstances force estranged sisters Lyn and Emma to return to their old neighborhood where they are confronted by their past and surprised by family revelations.

Watched the first episode and really enjoyed it!

I believe this airs on Sunday Nights

homoe
05-24-2018, 04:13 PM
I believe this airs on Sunday Nights

Someone else posted how good this is in another thread as well, but it bears repeating.......:popcorn:

homoe
05-29-2018, 08:32 AM
The CBC website for Canadian arts and films just listed 6 must see indigenous films. Among the six selections, from the free online film catalogue to see is an film called First Stories: Two Spirited by film director and producer Sharon A. Desjarlais (2007).

Here's an direct link to the short documentary First Stories: Two Spirited:

https://www.nfb.ca/film/first_stories_two_spirited/

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/52/bc/2e/52bc2e4ec41e591c46c702ec2ed8a81b.jpg

Here's an link to the article and how to find the free indigenous movies to watch online:

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/there-s-a-massive-free-catalogue-of-indigenous-films-online-and-we-have-6-picks-to-get-you-started-1.4623884
This is On Demand now if you have Comcast..:movieguy:

homoe
05-29-2018, 08:36 AM
Season 2 of The Toys That Made Us....

Star Wars, Lego, Hello Kitty, sorry can't remember the last one right now and I'm too lazy to look it up..

homoe
06-02-2018, 09:41 AM
Season 2 of The Toys That Made Us....

Star Wars, Lego, Hello Kitty, sorry can't remember the last one right now and I'm too lazy to look it up..

Season 2 was very disappointing........:|

Transformers was the other one btw..

JDeere
06-26-2018, 03:24 PM
Hannah Gadsby

Nanette

Im watching it right now.

JDeere
06-27-2018, 09:14 PM
Hannah Gadsby

Nanette

Im watching it right now.

The rest of this comedy act.

I like the personal story that she had to tell but too much man hate, etc.

homoe
06-29-2018, 08:37 PM
PmUL6wMpMWw

Red Sparrow Jennifer Lawrence, Joel Edgerton

Ballerina Dominika Egorova is recruited to 'Sparrow School,' a Russian intelligence service where she is forced to use her body as a weapon. Her first mission, targeting a C.I.A. agent, threatens to unravel the security of both nations.

homoe
07-07-2018, 07:48 AM
_07ktacEGo8

Now playing in theaters!

Forgive me if I've already posted this in some other thread!

homoe
07-08-2018, 10:51 PM
THE SEAGULL (2018)

A love triangle unfolds between the diva Irina, her lover Boris, and the ingenue Nina.

homoe
07-12-2018, 10:24 AM
The Rape Of Recy Taylor on Starz Channel Documentary by Nancy Buirski

In 1944 Recy Taylor was a young wife and mother, she was just walking home from a church service she'd attended in Abbeville, Alabama, when she was abducted by six white men, raped and left blindfolded by the side of the road coming home from church.

homoe
07-17-2018, 09:55 PM
Roman J. Israel, Esq starring: Denzel Washington Collin Ferrell Starz (free)

Roman J. Israel, Esq., a driven, idealistic defense attorney, finds himself in a tumultuous series of events that lead to a crisis and the necessity for extreme action.

homoe
08-30-2018, 10:58 AM
_1MDrwqjeGo

Camp X-Ray starring: Kristen Stewart, Payman Maadi, Lane Garrison

A soldier assigned to Guantanamo Bay befriends a man who has been imprisoned there.

homoe
12-28-2018, 06:30 PM
uBw6EvIxIS8

Smallfoot (2018) On Demand.....Comcast

Orema
12-31-2018, 10:07 PM
Currently on the SyFy Channel ...

Twilight Zone, Season 2, Epsisode 15

The Invaders with Agnes Morehead

A woman battles two miniature Aliens from another planet in a battle of size vs. scientific weapons.

Done with little, if any, dialogue.

Rod Serling was the shit.

JDeere
01-02-2019, 10:08 PM
Netflix

Demonic and The Autopsy of Jane Doe

cathexis
01-03-2019, 01:11 AM
Currently on the SyFy Channel ...

Twilight Zone, Season 2, Epsisode 15

The Invaders with Agnes Morehead

A woman battles two miniature Aliens from another planet in a battle of size vs. scientific weapons.

Done with little, if any, dialogue.

Rod Serling was the shit.

Pretty much anything Rod Serling did is the bomb. Have binge watched all of his TZ episodes, can't think of one I disliked.

Favorite has to be the one in which a wagon was headed through the desert with a sick boy. Father took his old rifle over the rise to look for water. Needless to say, he had passed into the future, was awestruck, got water and Penicillin for the boy, returned not being able to go back to the future. All ended up well for the wagon folks who proceeded on their way.

homoe
02-24-2019, 08:11 PM
Green Book: A Guide To Freedom ~ Documentary

If you've ever doubted "white privilege" watch this!

Sidebar: This is currently available On Demand as well.

homoe
02-25-2019, 09:41 PM
just another reminder about above post...

homoe
04-23-2019, 08:06 AM
Gentleman Jack on HBO Period Tale of Lesbian Rebel Anne

ListerBased on her extensive personal writings, 19th century landowner and noted social rebel Anne Lister gets a series of her own. Suranne Jones plays the black-clad businesswoman, who not only sought to develop industrial projects on her family’s land, but made her intentions known to marry a wife in the process. The series combines a central romance between Lister and her intended, Ann Walker (Sophie Rundle), and Lister’s attempts to reinvigorate the coal-mining efforts on her family property at Shibden Hall.

Watched the 1st espisode last night and found it most enjoyable...

homoe
04-23-2019, 08:08 AM
-uBYRcP44M4

homoe
04-24-2019, 05:46 PM
-uBYRcP44M4

We went back and re-watched this because in the very beginning we missed a few things! It was just as good IF not better than the 1st time........check it out!

Orema
04-30-2019, 05:57 PM
We went back and re-watched this because in the very beginning we missed a few things! It was just as good IF not better than the 1st time........check it out!

Thanks for mentioning this, homoe. I’m enjoying Gentleman Jack and I really like the actress, Suranne Jones. Am binge watching her in Scott & Bailey and am enjoying that, too. Thanks again for the tip.

homoe
11-06-2019, 06:17 PM
The Apollo....

Academy and Emmy Award-winning director Roger Ross Williams chronicles the unique history and contemporary legacy of the New York City landmark. ... Smokey Robinson, Leslie Uggams and more walked the red carpet in praise of Roger Ross Williams’ film about the beloved Harlem theater.

homoe
01-07-2020, 02:14 AM
9ESkyRFEso4

Starts Jan 10th........

homoe
01-07-2020, 02:15 AM
-uBYRcP44M4

HBO has announced there will be a second season however no date has been set!

homoe
04-26-2020, 11:27 AM
Bad Education ,HBO drama, tells the true story of a scandal that erupted in 2002 at a premiere high school on Long Island, where several school administrators and associates were found guilty of various roles in carrying out and covering up an elaborate $11.2 million fraud.

The film stars Hugh Jackman as Roslyn school district’s once widely revered superintendent, Frank Tassone, under whose stewardship the high school rose to being considered one of the best in the country. Right by his side is assistant superintendent Pamela Gluckin (Allison Janney), a wisecracking, hardworking woman with a thick Long Island accent. Together, the unlikely pair colluded to pull off a crime of extraordinary proportions, one that the New York state comptroller described as “the largest, most remarkable, most extraordinary theft” from a school system “in American history.”

Watched it last night, it was pretty good.....

homoe
05-17-2020, 08:54 PM
HBO has announced there will be a second season however no date has been set!

STILL no word on when this will air.....

homoe
05-17-2020, 09:37 PM
STILL no word on when this will air.....

Sorry I was referring to Gentleman Jack Season 2....

homoe
05-18-2020, 05:56 AM
LHYlKQSc7rA

homoe
09-12-2020, 10:42 AM
~~~
From 'The Mandalorian' to 'The Comey Rule' here's your guide to 100+ films and TV shows to stream this fall.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/fall-2020-streaming-guide-movies-tv-shows-the-mandalorian-020216504.html

homoe
09-14-2020, 04:08 AM
https://i2.wp.com/film-book.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/chris-rock-fargo-02-700x400-1.jpg?fit=700%2C400&ssl=1

The upcoming fourth installment of Noah Hawley’s FX anthology series Fargo, headlined by Chris Rock, will debut Sept. 27 with its first two episodes, directed by Hawley, airing back-to-back.

Originally slated to premiere April 19, Season 4 of Fargo was delayed by the coronavirus pandemic, which shut down production on the show in mid-March. The series is now in pre-production in Chicago, with filming on the remaining few episodes of the 11-episode fourth installment slated to resume in late August.

Following the two-hour premiere, Fargo will air one new episode each week, which will be available the next day on FX on Hulu.

homoe
10-18-2020, 08:12 AM
The Way I See It Documentary

PLEASE treat yourself to this gem of a documentary should you get a chance to see it! Don't be put off because there is some Reagan footage, it's just a very small sliver, the main portion of the film deals with President Obama's years as our nation's leader and shows what a compassionate, empathetic, unifying, and dignified President should be. Such a stark contrast to that thing occupying the Presidency office today!

There are tons of candid photographs throughout and narration, not only from Pete Souza, but others as well. When you see photos of President Obama interacting with families of fallen soldiers, Sandy Hook parents, and victims of natural disasters you can't help but tear up! Another stark contrast to Trump and his "photo-ops" paper-toweling throwing to victims in Puerto Rico or the "bible holding" in Lafayette Square.

With two weeks left until election day, and hopefully a change in presidents, it's nice to see what will be a return to a dignified Commander In Chief looks like once again.

homoe
04-19-2021, 07:42 AM
Gentleman Jack on HBO Period Tale of Lesbian Rebel Anne

ListerBased on her extensive personal writings, 19th century landowner and noted social rebel Anne Lister gets a series of her own. Suranne Jones plays the black-clad businesswoman, who not only sought to develop industrial projects on her family’s land, but made her intentions known to marry a wife in the process. The series combines a central romance between Lister and her intended, Ann Walker (Sophie Rundle), and Lister’s attempts to reinvigorate the coal-mining efforts on her family property at Shibden Hall.

Watched the 1st espisode last night and found it most enjoyable...

You can watch the first season right now on Demand on HBO! Still no exact air date for season 2, only that there definitely will be a season 2!

homoe
05-16-2021, 09:26 AM
'Pride' offers snapshots in the battle for LGBTQ rights across the decades.

"Pride" offers an off-the-beaten-track history of LGBTQ experiences and activism in the US from the 1950s to the present, with different filmmakers undertaking each decade/episode. Even diced up that way it's a lot to cover, most effective when it comes to highlighting key individuals and moments than connecting those dots.

Indeed, the format of this FX project -- which precedes Pride Month and coincides with the final season of the network's Emmy-nominated drama "Pose" -- ensures that the result will provide snapshots of the gay-rights movement, eliding over certain events while emphasizing less-heralded ones.

"Pride" begins in that post-war period, chronicling the turn into homophobia during the McCarthy era, and how the world was in some ways less prejudiced toward gays and lesbians prior to that decade than after it.
As interview subjects note, entrapment was common in policing, and the prospect of being outed wielded as a weapon. Perhaps the starkest illustration of the dirty political tactics employed focuses on Wyoming senator Lester Hunt, who was blackmailed over his son's "activities," before dying by suicide.

"Pride" premiered May 14 at 8 p.m. ET on FX, with episodes available the next day on Hulu.

homoe
05-16-2021, 09:11 PM
'Pride' offers snapshots in the battle for LGBTQ rights across the decades.

"Pride" offers an off-the-beaten-track history of LGBTQ experiences and activism in the US from the 1950s to the present, with different filmmakers undertaking each decade/episode. Even diced up that way it's a lot to cover, most effective when it comes to highlighting key individuals and moments than connecting those dots.

Indeed, the format of this FX project -- which precedes Pride Month and coincides with the final season of the network's Emmy-nominated drama "Pose" -- ensures that the result will provide snapshots of the gay-rights movement, eliding over certain events while emphasizing less-heralded ones.

"Pride" begins in that post-war period, chronicling the turn into homophobia during the McCarthy era, and how the world was in some ways less prejudiced toward gays and lesbians prior to that decade than after it.
As interview subjects note, entrapment was common in policing, and the prospect of being outed wielded as a weapon. Perhaps the starkest illustration of the dirty political tactics employed focuses on Wyoming senator Lester Hunt, who was blackmailed over his son's "activities," before dying by suicide.

"Pride" premiered May 14 at 8 p.m. ET on FX, with episodes available the next day on Hulu.

I watched the first two episodes and it was very good! Covered stuff I had no idea about, like Hunt's suicide and other events!

Stone-Butch
05-16-2021, 09:57 PM
I just watched 3 episodes of PRIDE. Good stuff, lots of memories.

Cin
07-05-2022, 10:24 AM
I saw this on twitter and thought it was kind of amusing. Well if by amusing one means disturbing, alarming, horrific and frightening.

The Amazin Jason tweets:

This final season of America has been absolutely amazing. I mean it starts with an attack on the capital and ends with a new Supreme Court actively dismantling democracy. That's some top notch writing. And it perfectly sets up the Civil War miniseries that will follow...

I know America is not a real tv show but it could be, it could rival The Handsmaid's Tale. It could be titled Gilead 2.0 or Gilead part deux.