PDA

View Full Version : It's Girl Scout Cookie Time. What Will You Be Eatting This Season?

MsDemeanor
02-28-2010, 03:04 PM
I started selling them as a Brownie when I was 6 years old, and several many boxes make it in to my hot little hands every spring. After the first few boxes disappear quickly, I dole the rest out carefully. I've been known to still have a box or two stashed away come December.

Do-si-dos, samoas, tagalongs, and trefoils only. Sorry, I hear they are yummy, but I can't do the mint cookie thing.

MsDemeanor
02-28-2010, 03:09 PM
Where'd that second "t" come from? Maybe some kind mod will fix the thread title. *must have more coffee*

Apocalipstic
02-28-2010, 03:46 PM
Having always been a Trefoil fan, this year I got wild and ordered the sandwitch cookies with the lemon filling.

The filling is odd and I have spent quite a bit of time pondering how. It seems like the cream filling has little bursts of faux lemon flavor kind of like teeny tapiocas or BBs filled with lemon flavored jello.

Next year Trefoils!

Lynn
02-28-2010, 03:54 PM
Thin mints and Tagalongs are the best. I'll be picking our's up on Wednesday evening. Hope they last the car ride home! They have seriously gone up in price and, I think, down in quality. But, the cause is still important. And, "good cookie" is a relative term.

adorable
02-28-2010, 04:04 PM
Ha! I got kicked out of the girl scouts for eating brownies.

Seriously, I love the samoas.

DapperButch
02-28-2010, 04:10 PM
...are awesome. And they come 15 to a box. And I ate 13 of them last night. In one sitting. :|

Due to their awesomeness, I do not think that I should be held accountable for this. :|

theoddz
02-28-2010, 04:46 PM
Mint cookies......bring 'em. :drool:

I bought 2 boxes this year from one of the RT's in my department whose daughter is in scouting. Although I've never agreed with the homophobic stance that Scouting has taken, over the years, I do think it is a great program for young men and women. I believe in supporting that. :thumbsup:

Does anyone know if the Girl Scouts are still selling these door-to-door?? I remember them doing that in my neighborhood when I was growing up. I guess it's not safe for kids to be doing that anymore. Sad. :(

I remember being a Brownie. :|

~Theo~ :bouquet:

Miss Scarlett
02-28-2010, 04:53 PM
Wednesday Addams: "Are they made from real Girl Scouts?"

tiggs
02-28-2010, 04:55 PM
Oh my gosh I love love the mint cookies they are the yummiest but sadly I haven't had them in years :( I don't know anyone in my area that sells them.

WolfyOne
02-28-2010, 05:01 PM
Two tables were set up in front of our local Wal Mart yesterday. One at each entrance. The sign across the front of the tables said they were $4 a box. I procrastinate often in which ones to buy, so I hope they are there again next weekend as I have finally decided...................I think.

MsDemeanor
02-28-2010, 05:12 PM
Although I've never agreed with the homophobic stance that Scouting has taken, over the years, I do think it is a great program for young men and women. I believe in supporting that. :thumbsup:
It's just the Boy Scouts that are homophobic and christian-centric. The Girls Scouts accept queers, and members are allowed to substitute the word "god" in the oath.

LieslKate
02-28-2010, 05:14 PM
Are they made from real Girl Scouts or Girl Guides???? Transfat free... no artificial colours, flavours or preservatives???

MsDemeanor
02-28-2010, 05:22 PM
Oh my gosh I love love the mint cookies they are the yummiest but sadly I haven't had them in years :( I don't know anyone in my area that sells them.
Here's the cookie finder. Just enter your zip code and it will show you where to get cookies.

linkyloo
(http://www.girlscoutcookies.org/)
You can enter garbage in the contact info, you just need to enter something before it will take you to the page for your area. Here in NoCal, they have a little map with locations and sale dates and times.

I love the internet. It has everything!

turasultana
02-28-2010, 05:30 PM
In order to be a team player and get along in the corporate world I was forced to order cookies from not one but two coworkers.

somehow i requested Tagalogs, samoas, thin mints, do si dos and lemon creme

the lemon creme and samoas came first and lasted 2 days with great restraint. the rest should come shortly. I'm sure those won't make it home from the office either. (sorry stray. :>)

theoddz
02-28-2010, 05:49 PM
Uh oh. :|

The Lemon Chalet Girl Scout cookies are being recalled. Here's the story:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35606744/

They're saying that they are "safe" to eat, just not "up to quality". :|

~Theo~ :bouquet:.....has only eaten the mint ones. :|

turasultana
02-28-2010, 05:51 PM

oh great. um i think mine tasted ok.... we inhaled them so maybe we didn't notice.

Gemme
02-28-2010, 06:08 PM
Samoas all the way! :thumbsup:

DapperButch
02-28-2010, 06:46 PM
I remember being a Brownie. :|

~Theo~ :bouquet:

I remember being a Brownie too, in the third grade. I hated it. When we crosed the bridge to "fly up" to Girl Scouts at end of the year, they suggested to my mother that I not join (Thank God!). I believe they said I was "too rough". I think they were just ticked off because I insisted on making a boy spoon doll instead of a girl spoon doll like everyone else.

In order to be a team player and get along in the corporate world I was forced to order cookies from not one but two coworkers.

somehow i requested Tagalogs, samoas, thin mints, do si dos and lemon creme

the lemon creme and samoas came first and lasted 2 days with great restraint. the rest should come shortly. I'm sure those won't make it home from the office either. (sorry stray. :>)

At the last place I worked they had one main order sheet for the employees and then the list was split among the parents who had Girl Scouts at home. That worked really well.

This year I got the cookies the regular old door to door way!

MsDemeanor
02-28-2010, 06:47 PM
The Lemon Cookie recall is in a limited geographic area. The Girl Scouts use regional bakeries, and only one bakery had this problem. It's based in KY, so I'm guessing that the affected cookies are in that region.

Here are the lot numbers:

7455881 7455882 7455883 7456741 7456742 7456743 7457661
7457662 7457663 7458521 7458522 7458523 7459401 7459402 7459403

MsDemeanor
02-28-2010, 06:54 PM
At the last place I worked they had one main order sheet for the employees and then the list was split among the parents who had Girl Scouts at home. That worked really well.
I like that idea. When I was a kid, I went door to door taking orders and then delivering cookies.

Around here, the parents that work with the troops just order a bunch of cookies and then set up and sell in front of the local stores. In SF, they'd set up tables in the Financial District so that we could buy them on the way to BART or the bus. I don't think that the kids get much out of this, though, as the parents are doing all of the work and the kids just stand there. They even give the kids cheat sheets so that they don't have to bother figuring out how much to charge for more than one box! On the other hand, these hyper-protective parents heads would probably explode at the notion of their over-pampered little darlings having to knock on neighborhood doors. I'm sure that this isn't the case everywhere; I live in fairly affluent area full of over-indulged children.

bigbutchmistie
02-28-2010, 06:56 PM
I usually buy boxes and boxes upon boxes of caramel delights. They are my fave. But alas I only bought two a few weeks ago and they are gone :( And now since the diet I cant have no more

Enchantress
02-28-2010, 07:17 PM
I desperately miss the original shortbread cookies of days gone by. They were delicious! Oh yes and I'm simply taken a back by the price per box these days. When I sold them, a box went for $1.25 (don't judge).

MsDemeanor
02-28-2010, 07:57 PM
When I sold them, a box went for $1.25 (don't judge).

:tease:
You know, the first sign of aging is talking about how cheap things were back when you were a kid. The second in telling kids about how you had to walk uphill both ways in the snow to get to and from school every day.
:nyahnyah:

dixie
02-28-2010, 09:03 PM
I've already been thru a case of caramel delights... *blushing profusely* lol

Daywalker
02-28-2010, 10:29 PM
Cheap Bastard voted #4.

:greendollar::eek::greendollar:

:hatsmoke:

:daywalker:

Gemme
03-01-2010, 12:09 AM
I like that idea. When I was a kid, I went door to door taking orders and then delivering cookies.

Around here, the parents that work with the troops just order a bunch of cookies and then set up and sell in front of the local stores. In SF, they'd set up tables in the Financial District so that we could buy them on the way to BART or the bus. I don't think that the kids get much out of this, though, as the parents are doing all of the work and the kids just stand there. They even give the kids cheat sheets so that they don't have to bother figuring out how much to charge for more than one box! On the other hand, these hyper-protective parents heads would probably explode at the notion of their over-pampered little darlings having to knock on neighborhood doors. I'm sure that this isn't the case everywhere; I live in fairly affluent area full of over-indulged children.

Nope. I don't live in an affluent area and they do that too, mainly in front of the grocery stores. After all, cookies IS its own separate food group, right?
:rainsing:

You know, the first sign of aging is talking about how cheap things were back when you were a kid. The second in telling kids about how you had to walk uphill both ways in the snow to get to and from school every day.

Barefoot. You forgot barefoot. Must be the third sign of aging...memory loss. :blink:

MsDemeanor
03-01-2010, 12:45 AM
Barefoot. You forgot barefoot. Must be the third sign of aging...memory loss. :blink:
What were we talking about?

Enchantress
03-01-2010, 12:52 AM

Yikes, the cat is definitely out of the bag that I'm not 18.

*dramatic sigh*

As for anecdote's regarding trudging through snow, not my thingy. BUT I will admit to referring to baggy pants kids as possible hoodlums of the future.

However, with that said, I believe that a box of Girl Scout cookies and a bit of campfire song (while wearing a sash with badges) can cure all that ails society (especially little rabbit fu fu). Just sayin'. ; )

TexasCowboi
03-01-2010, 01:35 AM
THIN MINTS ALL THE WAY!!!! I ordered multiple cases this year.... they have to last me all year, 'til the next time they are sold.... right?

I bought an additional case of mixed variety of Girl Scout cookies when I challenged a "Junior" scout.... I told her I would buy another case of cookies from her if she could tell me how many calories were in 4 cases of Thin Mints....
about two hours later she called me and blurted out the answer.... I told her I would pick up my cookies in half an hour.... that case of cookies went to the horse rescue ranch for the volunteers.... one of whom promptly fed my horseappotamus one of her Girl Scout cookies!

I also kinda like the "Daisy Go Rounds".... and the shortbread cookies with the chocolate layer on the bottom....

I sold GS cookies when they were like 50cents a box...

Apocalipstic
03-01-2010, 09:26 AM

Not sure what my lot number was, but the lemon creme was quite odd. Cynthia was quite amused at my descriptions of bursts of faux lemon weirdness.

I did, of course, eat 2 boxes of them anyway.

Duchess
03-01-2010, 09:39 AM
Ha! I got kicked out of the girl scouts for eating brownies.

Seriously, I love the samoas.

Eating brownies? Please elaborate :giggle:

When I was a Girl Scout, cookie time was scary. I was a crazed bitch that had to be no.1. I just had to..:whine:

BTW, it's all about the Thin Mints..:cheer:

Duchess

MsTinkerbelly
03-01-2010, 09:50 AM
I also was a Girl Scout and sold door to door, oh those were the days!

My favorites are Samoas, but I can be tempted by a frozen Thin Mint. OMG:tease:

Bit
03-01-2010, 12:04 PM
On the other hand, these hyper-protective parents heads would probably explode at the notion of their over-pampered little darlings having to knock on neighborhood doors. I'm sure that this isn't the case everywhere; I live in fairly affluent area full of over-indulged children.

There are a lot of sex offenders and drug dealers in our neighborhood; I'd worry about any kid, boy or girl, knocking on doors--even teens. I remember so vividly how scary it was to go door to door when we had to sell Band Candy (usually M&Ms) during high school... some people are just plain scary and I never knew what kind of person would open that door... or how vicious their dog might be.

Back to GSC, we bought three boxes of Peanut Butter Patties yesterday at one of those tables set up at the grocery store and I about fell over... they were $3.50 a box!!! Just the day before, looking in shock at dog cookies at Walgreens, I had mentioned to Gryph that not only would I not pay $7 for a 13 oz box of people cookies, I wouldn't pay $3 for one... and now I have paid $3.50 for 7 oz?!

But it isn't that they're Girl Scout cookies... tis that they're Gryph's all-time favorites. So I said to myself, "it's once a year" and I bought them. *sheepish look*

NJFemmie
03-01-2010, 12:08 PM
Wow... what a big difference a little geography makes. Growing up in my old neighborhood, girl scouts didn't ring your door bell, the Guardian Angels did.

:kungfu:

lol

Dean Thoreau
03-01-2010, 07:44 PM
i just like the girlscout leaders :angel: u can keep the cookies...yes yes yes the thin mints beckon to me but I must not yield to temptation, When I can not buy shorts at old navy cause they dont have my size....it is obvious over the years i have eaten to many girl scout cookies!

Gemme
03-01-2010, 08:17 PM
What were we talking about?

I dunno. :blink:

Depends? MacGuyver? Bingo? Fiber?

Odarlin
03-02-2010, 01:29 AM
Samoas all the way! :thumbsup:

Hypothetically, I am all over this.
Yet every year I bite into the crusty coconut topped, cheekily chocolate striped, hole in the center little delight and I am absolutely crestfallen. Has the recipe changed? Have I gotten spoiled by my shameless fetish for fresh young coconut? Have I destroyed a childhood sure thing or uncovered a cruel illusion?

It kinda bugs me.

Soft*Silver
03-02-2010, 10:40 AM
personally I have always liked the thin mints...but...I dont buy the cookies anymore because I love to make my own cookies now. However, I get my senses indulged by going to our Dairy Queen and getting their Thin Mint Blizzard, made with chocolate Ice Cream!

MsDemeanor
03-02-2010, 11:52 AM
Yet every year I bite into the crusty coconut topped, cheekily chocolate striped, hole in the center little delight and I am absolutely crestfallen. Has the recipe changed? Have I gotten spoiled by my shameless fetish for fresh young coconut? Have I destroyed a childhood sure thing or uncovered a cruel illusion?

It kinda bugs me.
This happened to me starting a few years ago, something was different. I don't recall even buying any last year. I couldn't handle yet another disappointment.

Gemme
03-02-2010, 02:09 PM

It kinda bugs me.

This happened to me starting a few years ago, something was different. I don't recall even buying any last year. I couldn't handle yet another disappointment.

My palate is nowhere near sophisticated and I don't notice changes because I don't eat them every year, so maybe that has something to do with it. I still like 'em. :freak:

MsDemeanor
03-02-2010, 04:30 PM
I love that discerning a difference in the quality of samoas implies a sophisticated palate ;)

Odarlin
03-02-2010, 11:19 PM
My palate is nowhere near sophisticated and I don't notice changes because I don't eat them every year, so maybe that has something to do with it. I still like 'em. :freak:

Ya know I can't claim palate sophistication.
Observe:

Hoho's are one of my guilty pleasures.*
I'm the kinda cheap bastid** who will buy wine out of a box***if it's a very good sale

I do blame it on the coconuts I spose then. They can't fight back. I ate them :D

* See Sordid, Scrumptious and Sexy Guilty Pleasures (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=857&highlight=guilty+pleasure)thread
** See the fabulously useful and excitingly competitive Cheap Bastid Thread (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=907&highlight=cheap+bastid)
***My only requirements are that it's a PinotGrigio, there is no passed expiration date and all the grapes come from no more than 1 (USA****) state.

****See the thread observing that America is actually the name of no less than 2 continents (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=893&highlight=america)

I learn so much here! :)

Write14u
03-02-2010, 11:40 PM
I managed to spread out the Trefoils for a couple of weeks. Still have a box of tagalongs in the fridge. Those are my faves, but I don't remember to get them every year.

DapperButch
03-10-2010, 11:37 PM
Ok, so a client brought me in a row of the thin mints (the reason is not important here).

What IS important is that unlike the Tagalongs, I have not eaten all of them in one day! In fact, it has been two days and I am still working on them.

Progress!

P.S. Is it cruel to not be sharing them with my coworkers?

MsDemeanor
03-11-2010, 02:11 AM
Ok, so a client brought me in a row of the thin mints (the reason is not important here).

What IS important is that unlike the Tagalongs, I have not eaten all of them in one day! In fact, it has been two days and I am still working on them.

Progress!
Well of course you didn't eat them all in one day. They're thin mints!!! That'd be like eating a giant box of dessert mints in one sitting. Tagalongs, however, are appropriately eaten in one day, as they are sold in the traditional single-serving box.

P.S. Is it cruel to not be sharing them with my coworkers?
No. What's cruel is that they didn't even bother to bring in any GS cookies to share with YOU! Meanies.

NJFemmie
03-11-2010, 11:13 AM
http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/funny-pictures-cat-has-box-of-cookies.jpg