PDA

View Full Version : Alternative Jobs

Jess
03-09-2010, 07:55 AM
Have been tossing around ideas for some different ways to help folks find jobs in a very depressed job market. Perhaps by posting really cool ideas we might be able to help each other out.
I ran across an interesting article about KIPP schools when looking into educational resources for the bratboy. I had no idea these schools even existed and am thrilled they do. For both a parent in the public school system, lower economic range and for teachers looking to make a real difference, check out this site. I wish all public schools would adopt the practices that have shown such amazing results.

http://www.kipp.org/

When I read about the KIPP schools, I found out that they are sponsored in great part by the Gates foundation. Having heard a great interview with Bill Gates on NPR not too long ago and the work the foundation is doing globally, I thought about looking at their site. The have a job search for positions within the foundation. Good pay and benefits ( including matching funds to charitable organizations) doing good work across the globe.

http://www.gatesfoundation.org/Pages/home.aspx

What other ideas are out there?

Kenna
05-06-2010, 07:53 AM
Have been tossing around ideas for some different ways to help folks find jobs in a very depressed job market. Perhaps by posting really cool ideas we might be able to help each other out.
(clip clip...)

What other ideas are out there?

Howdy Jess!!
(I hope this is the right place to post this?)

My new boss, who owns a home repair business, needs a new Estimator. He and his wife are really great people who have really helped me out and been a blessing. The job is not very demanding and is good pay for this area. From what I understand, it is based on commissions... but they do A LOT of business and big $$ jobs.... You are not required to do the repair work... this is residential customer sales where you meet people at their house and process estimates and work-order contracts for rain gutters. If you don't have experience in rain guttering... but have some construction and/or sales experience, this job is easy to learn and has great rewards including a company vehicle. If you're interested, please send me a PM for details.

THANK YOU!!! AND BEST WISHES!!

Lillie
05-06-2010, 12:47 PM
but...I have a couple of friends who own a bread route (orowheat) and they work 7 days/nights a week. they are always in need of a merchandiser..so I usually help them out on sat nites and sunday mornings..I know no one really thinks about it..but outside companies like bread such as sara lee and orowheat and non store brands are brought in and worked 7 days/nights a week..leave a message for the owners of the route to let them know you could be trained to help..I make about 375 extra income a month..and it gives them a nite and morning off..it means the world to them..

but...if you do start helping..you will never again be able to walk past a bread display and not want to fix it! lol

good luck!
Lillie

violaine
05-07-2010, 10:55 PM
http://www.osnabirds.org/on/ornjobs.htm

dark_crystal
05-11-2011, 12:34 PM
I just discovered Amazon Mechanical Turk! I haven't done any work yet but it looks ah-MAZE-ing

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Amazon Mechanical Turk (MTurk) is a crowdsourcing Internet marketplace that enables computer programmers (known as Requesters) to co-ordinate the use of human intelligence to perform tasks that computers are unable to do yet. It is one of the suites of Amazon Web Services. The Requesters are able to pose tasks known as HITs (Human Intelligence Tasks), such as choosing the best among several photographs of a store-front, writing product descriptions, or identifying performers on music CDs. Workers (called Providers in Mechanical Turk's Terms of Service) can then browse among existing tasks and complete them for a monetary payment set by the Requester.

Kobi
05-11-2011, 01:32 PM
"Hire a husband/butch" has been around for a while.

I, however, would like to see a "hire a wife" business develop.

I am in serious need of one to provide a girlie touch to my home.

Jess
05-11-2011, 02:31 PM
Maybe a good tool for job seeking.

http://www.hrc.org/cei2011/index.html

"The Human Rights Campaign’s ninth annual Corporate Equality Index shows an unprecedented 337 major U.S. businesses earned the top rating of 100 percent, up from 305 last year"

Heck, if we're out there looking... may as well look at folks who treat us equally!

Good Luck Job Seekers!