Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tennessee Forums (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Calling all TN peeps! (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38)

Sam 05-03-2010 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apocalipstic (Post 97832)
Thank you Belle! It is pretty scary here, but we were lucky enough not to have to evacuate. I have never seen anything like this.

Hey i hope ya'll are safe. ya'll are in my thoughts and prayers.

Billy 05-03-2010 05:05 PM

Think I am going to be sick .......:|

Spirit Dancer 05-03-2010 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billy (Post 98044)
Think I am going to be sick .......:|

oh no Mister, not allowed:nurseshot:

shadows papa 05-03-2010 07:12 PM

The latest report I have gotten from the Tennessean's website is saying they expect the Cumberland to crest at 52.5 ft. The Opryland Hotel was up to 10 ft of water and still rising. Hopefully the release of water from Old Hickory Lake will help alleviate a bit of the damage when the river does crest. After that maybe as the flood waters recede and they can assess the damages the cleanup and rebuilding of our Midstate can begin. Hope everyone got home safe tonight from work. Shad

Billy 05-04-2010 11:56 AM

Non-Nashvillians: please spread the word, in case folks don't grasp the severity of what's going on. Temporary shelters are at capacity, missing people are unaccounted for, many homes are under water, we're in a water conservation emergency, much of Nashville's economic base is threatened by flood damage, etc, etc. We're going to need help. Text 'REDCROSS' to 90999 to donate $10 to disaster relief. Thanks

PearlsNLace 05-04-2010 12:14 PM

Hey TN folks, I know we are 5 hours away (now that the I-40) is open. But if you need a place to stay for a few days while its crazy, contact me. we can make room.

Pearls & Paphigleo

Apocalipstic 05-04-2010 03:01 PM

Camp for this weekend has been postponed until further notice. All of the area Lake access parks are closed at least until later in the month. Old Hickory Beach is apparently under water.

So sorry!

Will let you all know as soon as we come up with a new date :)

shadows papa 05-04-2010 05:15 PM

Website for Volunteer Assistance

Hi everyone. As the flood waters are receding,now is when volunteers will be needed to help in every way under the sun. If we can all get out and do a little something,I think we will all recover a bit faster! This is the link: http://www.hon.org/AboutUs/index.php...odMay2010.html The website www.nashvillest.com says all official relief efforts for Metro will be run through Hands On Nashville,but I'm willing to bet,they can point folks in the right direction to help in other affected areas as well. Shad

Puplove 05-04-2010 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apocalipstic (Post 97918)
People just suck, you know.

Like last night as they were evacuating Opryland Hotel for the good of the guests, they were bitching up a storm. How they had to wait, how nothing was gonna happen, when they should have been thankful!

I'm back home in Austin - okay, so I was inconvenienced for 2 days and couldn't have any coffee or hot food (or bed). At least until Billy rolled in and took me to a nice hot dinner.

Big whoop. All I had to worry about was my suitcase and my company's equipment, NOT my home, lifelong possessions, family, livelihood. It is awful that this is happening to Nashville.

And, guests from Opryland complaining -- I heard about the news report on the first group who went to the high school from Opryland. How ridiculous!! The staff from the Opryland went far and above the call of duty to try to make things comfortable, including buying out Walmart to get every pillow and blanket available, buying about 1000 pizzas from Dominos at 3am - and bussing every possible amenity they could from the hotel (including searching rooms and public areas for suitcases we had to leave behind and carrying them to the high school for us). After the confusing first few hours when no one knew what would happen, we had an abundant supply of water, snacks, and sandwiches. The floor is hard and not possible to sleep on, especially with 2000 of your new friends, but so what? Those people from the Opryland stayed up all night long and all day serving US every way they could, including finding hotels and transportation home and CLEANING constantly. The whole while in crisp uniforms and smiles. While most of them had been stuck at the hotel for days because the roads were closed, knowing their cars were flooded out in the parking lot, not knowing how their family and homes were doing, and with no sleep or end in sight. I can't believe people dared to complain. (to their credit, most of the people I saw were thanking the staff and helping clean up)

Glad to be home, sick about what's happening in Nashville.

Apocalipstic 05-05-2010 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puplove (Post 99111)
I'm back home in Austin - okay, so I was inconvenienced for 2 days and couldn't have any coffee or hot food (or bed). At least until Billy rolled in and took me to a nice hot dinner.

Big whoop. All I had to worry about was my suitcase and my company's equipment, NOT my home, lifelong possessions, family, livelihood. It is awful that this is happening to Nashville.

And, guests from Opryland complaining -- I heard about the news report on the first group who went to the high school from Opryland. How ridiculous!! The staff from the Opryland went far and above the call of duty to try to make things comfortable, including buying out Walmart to get every pillow and blanket available, buying about 1000 pizzas from Dominos at 3am - and bussing every possible amenity they could from the hotel (including searching rooms and public areas for suitcases we had to leave behind and carrying them to the high school for us). After the confusing first few hours when no one knew what would happen, we had an abundant supply of water, snacks, and sandwiches. The floor is hard and not possible to sleep on, especially with 2000 of your new friends, but so what? Those people from the Opryland stayed up all night long and all day serving US every way they could, including finding hotels and transportation home and CLEANING constantly. The whole while in crisp uniforms and smiles. While most of them had been stuck at the hotel for days because the roads were closed, knowing their cars were flooded out in the parking lot, not knowing how their family and homes were doing, and with no sleep or end in sight. I can't believe people dared to complain. (to their credit, most of the people I saw were thanking the staff and helping clean up)

Thank you so much for posting this! I worked in hotels for years (yes even OLH) and I know how hard that must have been for them. After the tornado in 1998 I changed careers.

I am so glad you got home safely!

Again, thank you so much for posting this! Do you care if I Facebook this? For those who are still whining and trying to say how THEY would have evacuated OLH?

SnackTime 05-05-2010 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apocalipstic (Post 99281)
Thank you so much for posting this! I worked in hotels for years (yes even OLH) and I know how hard that must have been for them. After the tornado in 1998 I changed careers.

I am so glad you got home safely!

Again, thank you so much for posting this! Do you care if I Facebook this? For those who are still whining and trying to say how THEY would have evacuated OLH?

I remember the tornado in 1998, I was down here visiting my brother for the first time. We were out front of the tornado trying to get back to Indiana!

That is a GREAT idea @ posting on FB!

Puplove, I am glad to hear you did make home safely! Kudos to you for posting this! I cannot believe people were acting like that, even after the devastation OLH took on.

Apocalipstic 05-05-2010 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnackTime (Post 99285)
I remember the tornado in 1998, I was down here visiting my brother for the first time. We were out front of the tornado trying to get back to Indiana!

That is a GREAT idea @ posting on FB!

Puplove, I am glad to hear you did make home safely! Kudos to you for posting this! I cannot believe people were acting like that, even after the devastation OLH took on.

Some people are always gonna think they know better.....these are somehow always the people who end up on TV!

SnackTime 05-05-2010 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apocalipstic (Post 99289)
Some people are always gonna think they know better.....these are somehow always the people who end up on TV!

Oh I know! I am just thankful OLH took it upon themselves to evacuate as a precautionary measure!

TickledPink 05-05-2010 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puplove (Post 99111)

So glad you are home safe!!

Puplove 05-05-2010 10:37 AM

I would like to see how anyone would evacuate that place better - you're talking about thousands of people who don't believe anything is actually going to happen and they don't want to leave. The hotel was trying very hard to continue to treat everyone as guests while getting them to leave. They did a good job of it too -- yeah, they could have started screaming and cuss over bullhorns and let off sirens and start a panic. Instead they tried to make it as pleasant as going to a nasty high school instead of your cushy hotel room could be.

Oh yeah, they hadn't had power all day already (which means little/no AC in that steamy atrium) and lots of employees had been stranded at the hotel since Saturday, so they were already at the end of their ropes. But they did NOT show it at all, even to rude self-centered guests.

I think it says a lot about the qality of the management and the employees.

TickledPink 05-05-2010 11:59 AM

:cheerleader: Pinky is pleased to report the Cumberland River is back to the level it was PRE flood!!!:cheerleader:

Apocalipstic 05-05-2010 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puplove (Post 99349)
I would like to see how anyone would evacuate that place better - you're talking about thousands of people who don't believe anything is actually going to happen and they don't want to leave. The hotel was trying very hard to continue to treat everyone as guests while getting them to leave. They did a good job of it too -- yeah, they could have started screaming and cuss over bullhorns and let off sirens and start a panic. Instead they tried to make it as pleasant as going to a nasty high school instead of your cushy hotel room could be.

Oh yeah, they hadn't had power all day already (which means little/no AC in that steamy atrium) and lots of employees had been stranded at the hotel since Saturday, so they were already at the end of their ropes. But they did NOT show it at all, even to rude self-centered guests.

I think it says a lot about the qality of the management and the employees.

Thank you so much for saying that! It shows what Nashville is about! Hospitality :)

So glad you got home safely!

Quote:

Originally Posted by TickledPink (Post 99417)
:cheerleader: Pinky is pleased to report the Cumberland River is back to the level it was PRE flood!!!:cheerleader:

Yeayyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

C S 05-06-2010 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TickledPink (Post 99417)

I didnt know just how stressful this was while it was going on until today.
Now Im feeling it. I tried to help save my sisters house all day Sunday, cleaned up all week her place and mine, rescued people with my boat, not realizing today I have an earache from the water, how hungry Ive been, tired, and how I havent thought of anything else until now & find a sickness in my stomach today. This was not fun and was such a mess.
It's nice to see the good from this and not the bad.

I wonder what happened to all the wild deer that was in the fences near the OH damn there next to where the get together was going to be Saturday? I hope they werent washed up as I watched the lake when the dam opened as boats, docks, parts of houses, trees, just all kinds of stuff rushed down the river toward the dam. Even told coffins were seen going down the cumberland river.

Ive never seen so many loose things in the water.

Im hoping by Monday some normalty may come back into my life.

Good people all of you.

Apocalipstic 05-06-2010 02:35 PM

I hope you can get back on schedule Monday CS!

It has been so stressful, and we did not have any water in the house thanks to getting French drains last year and getting the roof fixed and all the flashing redone.

If you don't feel better by tomorrow, maybe call the doc and get some ear drops? and get some REST. I know rest is not your thing, but you need it now!

I hope they got the deer out too!

Glad you are OK!

Glad we are all OK!

TickledPink 05-07-2010 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C S (Post 100432)
I didnt know just how stressful this was while it was going on until today.
Now Im feeling it. I tried to help save my sisters house all day Sunday, cleaned up all week her place and mine, rescued people with my boat, not realizing today I have an earache from the water, how hungry Ive been, tired, and how I havent thought of anything else until now & find a sickness in my stomach today. This was not fun and was such a mess.
It's nice to see the good from this and not the bad.

I wonder what happened to all the wild deer that was in the fences near the OH damn there next to where the get together was going to be Saturday? I hope they werent washed up as I watched the lake when the dam opened as boats, docks, parts of houses, trees, just all kinds of stuff rushed down the river toward the dam. Even told coffins were seen going down the cumberland river.

Ive never seen so many loose things in the water.

Im hoping by Monday some normalty may come back into my life.

Good people all of you.

Hugs for you! I hope your stress eases as the days pass. Let us know if we can be of any assistance!!