Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hobbies, Crafts, Interests (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Bushcraft (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7985)

kittygrrl 09-21-2019 10:01 AM

becoming interested in deserthttps://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...7ANUcvM0tBci0gsurvival...since the planet is warming....a good thing

kittygrrl 09-21-2019 01:36 PM

first thing i've learned is to stay out of the sun, especially in the hottest part of the day..duh...you want to slow down the loss of water from your body..so find shade during the hotter part of day and look for water in early morning or after sun begins to set...where to look next

kittygrrl 09-26-2019 08:44 PM

kittygrrl 09-27-2019 12:46 AM

interesting

homoe 09-27-2019 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kittygrrl (Post 1252996)
first thing i've learned is to stay out of the sun, especially in the hottest part of the day..duh...you want to slow down the loss of water from your body..so find shade during the hotter part of day and look for water in early morning or after sun begins to set...where to look next

Excellent advice no doubt, but during the hottest part of the day you'll find me down the road in some dive bar enjoying their air conditioning and having a cold one!

homoe 09-27-2019 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homoe (Post 1253426)
Excellent advice no doubt, but during the hottest part of the day you'll find me down the road in some dive bar enjoying their air conditioning and having a cold one!

Oh and also listening to some honkytonk tunes...........

kittygrrl 12-06-2019 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homoe (Post 1258197)
Whatever your level of competency in lighting fires, or method you are contemplating – from hand drill to matches – it’s harder in the cold, damp conditions of winter than it is in warm, dry conditions of summer. Concentrate on using only natural materials for every component of the fire lay, including tinder. Even if you are used to using only natural tinder in the summer, they will be in a different condition in winter and your favorites may not be available at all.

Focus on sourcing dry kindling and dead, dry standing wood (harder in winter when there are no leaves). Going out in winter and applying what works in summer, forces you to refocus and refine your skills so they work without fail year-round. Winter is the time to push your fire lighting skills on to the next level.

So it appears when someone says Baby Light My Fire, it takes a bit more work in winter....:giggle:

hahaha H...i wanted to mention the waxed pinecones..haven't made these (yet) but i think they will be awesome!

homoe 01-24-2020 09:37 AM

Converting Your Neck Knife and Wallet into a Fire Starter Kit..

One of the bushcraft knife skills to learn is how to convert your neck knife or wallet into a fire starter kit. All you need is a 550 paracord, duct tape, and ferrocerium rod. Then add some creativity, and your neck knife and wallet can be instant light a camp!

Hopefully it goes without saying to remove all cash and valuables from your wallet beforehand......:giggle:

homoe 04-16-2020 04:06 PM

It doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg........

homoe 04-16-2020 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homoe (Post 1246511)

Not a whole lot of dirty dishes to wash, I like that......:hangloose:

kittygrrl 04-30-2020 12:46 AM

kittygrrl 04-30-2020 07:02 AM

Wondering if she is in bear country?

kittygrrl 09-14-2020 07:44 PM

neat trick w the baggie..i can't imagine going into the woods w/o a knife, axe and a few ways to make fire..

:eatinghersheybar:

kittygrrl 09-20-2020 06:19 PM

his bow drill secretgenius

kittygrrl 09-20-2020 06:42 PM

fall is the time i loved camping..even camping in the winter a few times..it was a good morning when i had to break ice to drink or bath...i miss it but just stuff(these thoughts) it knowing it's just not safe for a lone grrl even with guns & knives...watching Oven awakens the yearning...someday

homoe 09-20-2020 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kittygrrl (Post 1275230)
fall is the time i loved camping..even camping in the winter a few times..it was a good morning when i had to break ice to drink or bath...i miss it but just stuff(these thoughts) it knowing it's just not safe for a lone grrl even with guns & knives...watching Oven awakens the yearning...someday

Safety in numbers right!

Perhaps take a butch or two along and introduce them to the wonders of Bushcraft while feeling the safety they might offer.

Of course if you're looking for solitude, that's a whole other matter.

kittygrrl 09-21-2020 12:27 AM

PhD would never feel comfortable camping and id never ask that of her..

hagster 12-10-2020 03:31 PM

I may have missed this in the thread but any thoughts on stainless steel vs high carbon blades? From what I've read, stainless requires less maintenance but is harder to sharpen, though it doesn't dull as quickly. The main tasks would be some batoning, feather sticks and striking the ferro rod.

On the upper end, I'm liking the Benchmade Bushcraft 162. (Bark River knives are out of my price range.) It's stainless steel and reviews note that it keeps its edge longer than expected. It can also be sent to Benchmade and sharpened for free. I like the holes in the handle that allow fashioning a spear much easier.

I get confused when trying to choose a high carbon bushcraft knife. I read that the blades are more fragile but easy to sharpen. I want durability and dependability. Am I overreacting to worry about this? In this category, I like the ESEE 6 but reviews of using it with a ferro rod aren't great. I'm also thinking of trying out a Hultafors OK4 to get an affordable idea of working with a high carbon blade. (I do know it's a 3/4 tang and I want a full tang.)

Does anyone have opinions on which to go with?

homoe 01-19-2021 05:13 PM

kittygrrl 02-24-2021 08:44 PM

good solid advise