Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Fluffy Stuff: Flirting, Humor, Chat (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   What are you reading? (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1589)

Medusa 03-03-2018 08:36 PM

I finished the Donald Trump book (salacious as fuck!) and am about to start on "The Girls" by Lori Lansens.

I also am listening to "Big Magic" by Elizabeth Gilbert ("Eat, Pray, Love") and so far it's pretty good

homoe 03-04-2018 05:46 PM

I don't know how a book about .......

A cantankerous curmudgeon who's lost his wife and job, both of 40 some odd years and want nothing more than to end his, a horrible crippling accident on a dream vacation, a cat on the verge of its demise after nearly freezing to death, a young gay lad being turned out by his father after revealing his lifestyle, government attempted intervention to separate a wife from her husband and place him in a facility for those suffering from Alhemizers, and an ending which one might assume you'd be in tears over.. could actually be one of the most uplifting books I've read in ages!

I highly recommend A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman. One of the best books I've read in some time!!!!

homoe 03-04-2018 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kätzchen (Post 1200321)
My favorite types of things to read are non-fiction accounts.

I've recently received two books authored by Ann Rule, who retired from her role in law enforcement up in Seattle, Washington. In her books, Ann Rule draws from her experience s in law enforcement in over one thousand articles and numerous books, and she has lectured widely in law enforcement schools and agencies, as well as serving as an consultant to the FBI's Violent Criminal Apprehension Program (IV-CAP) which is used track and apprehend criminals.

I just finished reading Practice To Decieve .... the true crime story about the tragedy on Whidbey Island where Jim Huden (ex-microsoft program developer) and Peggy Sue Stackhouse took the life of another person, in the Puget Sound area, years ago.

I just received the Lust Killer . ... which this horrific crime took place in Oregon, years and years ago. I never lived here during the time this true crime account happened, but I'm looking forward to reading this book.

In a strange way, these two crime accounts remind me of the late 1960s, early 1970s account of the Zodiac Killer from the San Francisco Bay area. I was in high school back then, but I remember reading headline news coverage of this very scary true crime event.... and if I recall correctly, the Zodiac killer case has never been solved. I've always wondered if the killer would have been apprehended if Ann Rule would have been working on the case, but I wonder if cases such as the Zodiac killer might be considered the beginning of an variety of forensic sciences developed in coordination with various law enforcement agencies. I'm not sure, but I've always wondered.

Rating for Ann Rule books: Excellent!

In today's Sunday paper there was a mention of Michelle McNamara
book, called "I'll Be Gone in the Dark." It might be something worth checking out:hangloose:

homoe 03-05-2018 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homoe (Post 1200435)
In today's Sunday paper there was a mention of Michelle McNamara
book, called "I'll Be Gone in the Dark." It might be something worth checking out:hangloose:

This posthumous debut recounts the chilling crimes of a serial murderer in California in the 1970s and ’80s, alongside the indefatigable investigation of crime writer McNamara to uncover the identity of the killer decades later. When McNamara first started writing about the case on her website TrueCrimeDiary in 2011, DNA testing had already linked 10 murders and 50 sexual assaults to one unknown man. The culprit, whom McNamara later gave the moniker “The Golden State Killer,” was a serial rapist in San Francisco’s East Bay in the mid-1970s, attacking women and girls in their homes. But in 1979, a close encounter with law enforcement led to a change in his M.O., and from that point on no one survived his attacks. By the time of her sudden death in 2016, McNamara had inspired an online community of sleuths who continue to research the crimes. With its exemplary mix of memoir and reportage, this remarkable book is a modern true crime classic.

Kätzchen 03-05-2018 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homoe (Post 1200461)
This posthumous debut recounts the chilling crimes of a serial murderer in California in the 1970s and ’80s, alongside the indefatigable investigation of crime writer McNamara to uncover the identity of the killer decades later. When McNamara first started writing about the case on her website TrueCrimeDiary in 2011, DNA testing had already linked 10 murders and 50 sexual assaults to one unknown man. The culprit, whom McNamara later gave the moniker “The Golden State Killer,” was a serial rapist in San Francisco’s East Bay in the mid-1970s, attacking women and girls in their homes. But in 1979, a close encounter with law enforcement led to a change in his M.O., and from that point on no one survived his attacks. By the time of her sudden death in 2016, McNamara had inspired an online community of sleuths who continue to research the crimes. With its exemplary mix of memoir and reportage, this remarkable book is a modern true crime classic.

Thanks homoe, but I think I will take a pass on reading any more true crime stories! :rrose:

homoe 03-05-2018 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kätzchen (Post 1200477)
Thanks homoe, but I think I will take a pass on reading any more true crime stories! :rrose:

I can totally appreciate that! UNLESS it's Mafia related, true crime isn't really my cup of tea either.

RockOn 03-05-2018 08:47 PM

I was reading some info online about come alongs. Nothing there gave me any insight on why mine is not performing well. Then I remembered I left it outside one night recently and it got rained on. I decided to oil it. That did the trick. Smooth now! :)

homoe 03-06-2018 11:55 PM

The Coincidence of Coconut Cake... by Amy Reichert

If you're a foodie and love a good romance this book is for you :hangloose:

Sidebar: Every establishment mentioned with the exception of Luella's and The Good Land, is an actual place in Milwaukee.

Kätzchen 03-07-2018 10:21 AM

I traded back some books yesterday and used the in-store credit to buy another book.

Love In The Time Of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Máquez .

(1988, Vintage Books)

easygoingfemme 03-07-2018 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homoe (Post 1200433)
A cantankerous curmudgeon who's lost his wife and job, both of 40 some odd years and want nothing more than to end his, a horrible crippling accident on a dream vacation, a cat on the verge of its demise after nearly freezing to death, a young gay lad being turned out by his father after revealing his lifestyle, government attempted intervention to separate a wife from her husband and place him in a facility for those suffering from Alhemizers, and an ending which one might assume you'd be in tears over.. could actually be one of the most uplifting books I've read in ages!

I highly recommend A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman. One of the best books I've read in some time!!!!

I picked it up from the library today! Only 15 pages in now but liking what I am reading so far. Thanks for recommending :)

homoe 03-08-2018 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by easygoingfemme (Post 1200679)
I picked it up from the library today! Only 15 pages in now but liking what I am reading so far. Thanks for recommending :)

You are very welcome!

Kobi 03-08-2018 12:21 PM

The truth matters : a citizen's guide to separating facts from lies and stopping fake news in its tracks / Bruce Bartlett.

Introduction -- Why the traditional media no longer serves our needs -- The difference between primary and secondary sources -- How to use links -- Confusing press conventions -- Journalistic techniques that may obfuscate rather than illuminate sources -- Trusting academic sources -- What your local library has to offer in terms of news -- Numbers must be put into context -- Beware of deceptive labeling -- The perils of polling -- Using Wikipedia -- The problem of fake news -- Designing your own newspaper -- Editorial opinions -- How to fight fake news.

Looks interesting. The book is small both in size (will fit in your pocket) and pages (130+). Hoping it is to the point without much filler.

Signmypapyrus 03-08-2018 05:04 PM

The Brain’s Body by Victoria Pitts-Taylor from Duke

Medusa 03-08-2018 10:41 PM

I finished "Big Magic" and am on to "Dharma in Hell: The Prison Writings of Fleet Maull" and "The Girl With Seven Names: Escape from North Korea"

And yes, I have a third book going (fiction) that I am super-enjoying (the twins book I posted about a week or so ago)

Martina 03-09-2018 08:09 AM

Q's Legacy by Helene Hanff, who wrote 84, Charing Cross Road.

dark_crystal 03-10-2018 12:15 PM

I am almost finished with MY ABSOLUTE DARLING by Gabriel Tallent and it is really intense. Every trigger warning possible applies but the quality is high.

Here is npr’s review https://www.npr.org/2017/08/29/54577...er-to-put-down

The JD 03-11-2018 10:11 PM

After rereading Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (in preparation for seeing the movie), I realized it wasn’t as clunky as I remembered.. plus, all the eighties references made my middle-aged heart sing. So I started his next one, Armada. Same basic blueprint (video game geek saves the world), with just as many eighties references. Fun read, even if the details are already disappearing from my memory.

I’m ready for another fast and fun YA read. Any suggestions?

dark_crystal 03-13-2018 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The JD (Post 1201047)
After rereading Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (in preparation for seeing the movie), I realized it wasn’t as clunky as I remembered.. plus, all the eighties references made my middle-aged heart sing. So I started his next one, Armada. Same basic blueprint (video game geek saves the world), with just as many eighties references. Fun read, even if the details are already disappearing from my memory.

I’m ready for another fast and fun YA read. Any suggestions?

LITTLE BROTHER, by Cory Doctorow. Not as fast as READY PLAYER ONE but really fun and eye-opening and the author gave one of the only useful keynotes i have ever heard at a library conference. I immediately forgave him for sitting in the empty chair between me and Lois Lowry at the previous conference :giggle:

dark_crystal 03-13-2018 05:01 AM

Yesterday i reviewed some medievalist lit crit comparing middle ages chivalry with Game of Thrones chivalry, appropriately titled CHIVALRY IN WESTEROS. Recommended for all students of the period and fans of the show!

Greco 03-13-2018 06:30 PM

H

"H Is for Hawk"
by Helen MacDonald

"H Is for Hawk is a work of great spirit and wonder, illuminated
equally by terror and desire. Each beautiful sentence is capable of
taking a reader's breath. The book is built of feather and bone, intelligence
and blood, and a vulnerability so profound as to conjure that
vulnerability's shadow, which is the great power of honesty. It
is not just a definitive work on falconry; it is a definitive work
on humanity, and all that can and cannot
be possessed." - Rick Bass