Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Trans Zone (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   "Becoming Chaz" (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3113)

EnderD_503 05-09-2011 05:38 PM

Bleargh...apparently it was playing at the Bell Lightbox last night only and I had no fucking idea. Why did they have to make it one night only? I would have gone had I known.

Anyways, now looks like I gotta wait for it to make its way to the internet...

Rockinonahigh 05-09-2011 08:30 PM

I herd that Chaz sgoing to be on Piers Morgan tonight,if so it will be on at 11:00pm my time...gonna stay up and check,with the crazyness going on since my son crashed his motorcycle I never thought t check on Oprah thia afternoon.

T D 05-09-2011 09:20 PM

As my own mother put it "you were my little girl. I dressed you up and made curls in your hair. You'll always be my little girl", etc. And it sounds too, this is very similar to how Cher feels/felt about Chastity. It's very difficult for a mom to let go of that part of her own self and the bond she has with her daughter, and allow us to be who we are. At nearly 60yo I'm struggling with this with my own mom. People are who they are and feel what they feel, and that's just who they/we are. It is what it is, and that's what we have to deal with, minute by minute, hour by hour, day by day.

Just my opinion of course, and sometimes it's not an easy opinion to live with.

Sachita 05-10-2011 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lost_punk_boi (Post 330759)
Thank you for sharing this link! I had heard about it, but not much! That is sooo amazing!!! But why the Oprah Network tho?!?!?!

have you ever heard of the Oprah Effect? Millions or middle america and all across the world people watching every single show or taping it. I don't think Chaz could have picked a better venue IMO.

As for Cher's reaction.... as other stated, it an adjustment. I remember talking a friend once who just discovered her son was gay. She was sadden by it and I asked her why, since she was also queer. She wasn't sad over his lifestyle choice but the difficult life he might have in today's world. Even today gays are treated unfairly and let's face it, being queer is not the easiest choice, but we have no choice, right? She was fearful of him getting hurt, killed by ignorant idiots and having to fight so hard for love. Can you imagine how fearful a mother of a transgendered child? OMG I can be the most openminded person in the world, want my child to be happy but I also want them safe. I'm sure the reaction was knee jerk and she learns to love chaz as he is, accepting and even embracing who he is.

Strappie 05-10-2011 04:51 PM

HI all,

I really want to see this. If anyone knows of an online channel I can view this please post it.

I tried all my friends and know body has this channel. :(

Martina 05-10-2011 05:22 PM

i get that people react differently but she has all the time in the world -- and the resources. She can find out about T. She doesn't have to "not know."

Corkey 05-10-2011 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strappie (Post 336468)
HI all,

I really want to see this. If anyone knows of an online channel I can view this please post it.

Do you have a local gay bar or outreach that does?

DapperButch 05-10-2011 09:00 PM

I spent the whole documentary worrying what Jenny was going to do next that would be embarrassing for Chaz to have on film. I think I was projecting my own anxiety onto Chaz...the anxiety I had with my crazy first girlfriend when we were in public (she was QUITE "Jenny like").

princessbelle 05-10-2011 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DapperButch (Post 336695)
I spent the whole documentary worrying what Jenny was going to do next that would be embarrassing for Chaz to have on film. I think I was projecting my own anxiety onto Chaz...the anxiety I had with my crazy first girlfriend when we were in public (she was QUITE "Jenny like").

I have to agree. I hoped to see someone that really supported him in a more positive way. You know...someone like the femmes/partners on BFP...lol. Seriously, I hope they make it. Seems they both need a lot of support. But, for sure it wasn't sugar coated at all.

I wish them both the best.

Still want someone to invite them to the reunion though.

DomnNC 05-10-2011 09:09 PM

I would imagine Cher is grieving the loss of her only daughter, even tho she's gained a son (which she always had but never knew). She's also concerned as a parent of all the health ramifications that taking T could potentially have. It's going to take time for her to adjust just as it will for all his family, friends etcetcetc. But I'm sure the more Chazz becomes more comfortable and more happy being his true self and she sees this that she will also become happy for him and more accepting of his decision. Give her time to grieve her loss, she'll come around just as most of his close circle will. He understands that as well, he's handling it quite well.

DomnNC 05-10-2011 09:12 PM

If you don't get the OWN network or you missed it you can go to the following link tomorrow and will find a link there to watch it online.

http://www.oprah.com/own

Jesse 05-10-2011 09:15 PM

I thought it admirable of both Jen and Chaz that they shared their relationship struggles, as well as Jen's struggles with sobriety.

Camo Eagle 05-10-2011 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strappie (Post 336468)
HI all,

Kinda why I miss the old days of VHS. Used to tape stuff, then we could all borrow/lend them around for all to see. Was a GREAT money maker on pay per view events. LOL

I thought the show was wonderful. Brought up a few issues in my own life that I guess I nev realized. The biggie was when Chaz talked about how he hate photos. Im the same way, and just realized it WAS bc I hated the way I looked, and didnt want to be seen/remembered in a female body.
I hav as many pics of me from last 2 yrs as, I hav of my whole life.

I applaud him for allowing us all to share in his journey.

DomnNC 05-10-2011 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camo Eagle (Post 336735)
Kinda why I miss the old days of VHS. Used to tape stuff, then we could all borrow/lend them around for all to see. Was a GREAT money maker on pay per view events. LOL

I thought the show was wonderful. Brought up a few issues in my own life that I guess I nev realized. The biggie was when Chaz talked about how he hate photos. Im the same way, and just realized it WAS bc I hated the way I looked, and didnt want to be seen/remembered in a female body.
I hav as many pics of me from last 2 yrs as, I hav of my whole life.

Exactly!!!

I applaud him for allowing us all to share in his journey.

Me too, I thought he handled the documentary quite well indeed.

Linus 05-10-2011 10:30 PM

I just watched it. Very nice that it was open, honest and wasn't just the positive or fairy tale aspects. Granted, it's still from a public person's view it's still one of the better documentaries on trans guys I've seen.

Tommi 05-10-2011 10:32 PM

It's on here now...Awesome

Scuba 05-11-2011 07:42 AM

Fantastic documentary!! Thanks to Chaz and Jen for opening up to the public. It took a lot of courage, on both of their parts, to expose themselves as they did in the film AND as they do in the aftermath of the film. Thanks to Oprah for stepping outside of the "mainstream" box and providing a safe, comfortable space for the airing of this film. I laughed, I cried and I celebrated!!

diamondrose 05-11-2011 07:45 AM

I really enjoyed the show!!

Liam 05-11-2011 07:51 AM

I liked the documentary; while I did not issue press releases or ask that my transition be filmed, I related to Chaz a great deal. I particularly enjoyed the interview with Rosie O'Donnell, which followed "Becoming Chaz."

PinkieLee 05-11-2011 08:10 AM

Like Scubadyke said, "I laughed, I cried, I celebrated"!

I applaud Chaz for allowing the mainstream media to follow his transition and being able to show people a transgender familiar face. The documentary was open, honest and well done. I like the way they portrayed not only Chaz's transition, but his loved ones transition, too.

*Ok, I'm gonna go ahead and say it, those damn hairless cats freaked me out!*