Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Fluffy Stuff: Flirting, Humor, Chat (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   What are you reading? (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1589)

betenoire 11-04-2011 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UofMfan (Post 454807)
Pffft! Right.

Oh really?

I've read most of his stuff and liked everything I've read - with the exception of One Hundred Years of Solitude. I never did finish that book because I just couldn't get "involved" with any of the characters. I -do- enjoy the magic realism, the idea that a young man's blood could poor out the door and travel down the streets through the town to his mothers house to alert her of his death. That's what I like about his books.

(Remember, UofMean - I read everything I can get my hands on.)

UofMfan 11-04-2011 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by betenoire (Post 454833)
Oh really?

I've read most of his stuff and liked everything I've read - with the exception of One Hundred Years of Solitude. I never did finish that book because I just couldn't get "involved" with any of the characters. I -do- enjoy the magic realism, the idea that a young man's blood could poor out the door and travel down the streets through the town to his mothers house to alert her of his death. That's what I like about his books.

(Remember, UofMean - I read everything I can get my hands on.)

One Hundred Years of Solitude, albeit the work that earned him the Nobel Price, is not his best. I love magic realism also, but no one comes close to García Márquez.

You may want to try, "No One Writes to the Colonel", one of his lesser known works but one of my favorites.

I have read all his books in English and Spanish just because I could :)

I also read anything I can get my hands on, seriously, so this makes me think that perhaps there is hope for you...kidding!

betenoire 11-04-2011 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UofMfan (Post 454964)
One Hundred Years of Solitude, albeit the work that earned him the Nobel Price, is not his best. I love magic realism also, but no one comes close to García Márquez.

You may want to try, "No One Writes to the Colonel", one of his lesser known works but one of my favorites.

I have read all his books in English and Spanish just because I could :)

I also read anything I can get my hands on, seriously, so this makes me think that perhaps there is hope for you...kidding!

Honestly my favourite is Memories of My Melancholy Whores. I have "No One Writes to the Colonel" in my bookshelf but haven't read it yet. I have too many books on the go right now that I don't even know what to do with myself.

The JD 11-06-2011 09:20 PM

_Closely_Watched_Trains by Bohumil Hrabal was surprisingly good. It was written in the 1940s, I think, and in Czechoslovakian, but translates across both language and time rather well. I was intrigued with how simple the writing was, which, actually, it had to be: When the view of the book is only in what the narrator knows, and the narrator is naive, then you have to find other ways to communicate this other than by saying "btw, I'm really naive"...because by saying you're naive, it shows a perspective that doesn't sound so naive. In this case, the author stuck with really simplistic language and observations...but it makes for an intriguing story. Worth the read.

Also halfway through the third book in the Game of Thrones series, _A_Storm_of_Swords. It's gotten better, I'm following all the moving pieces better, now caught up in all story lines, not just a few of them. Eager for the next season on HBO now too!

JD

foxyshaman 11-07-2011 11:00 AM

The Sacred Prostitute, Eternal Aspects of the Feminine
By Nancy Qualls-Corbett.

I quite like this book, it is small and easy to understand. This is a re-read for me. I have been approached by a maverick social worker to help start a sexual healing program. I have taken quite a few tantra classes as well as training through the sexual assault centre, but then just kinda let the idea go. But, perhaps Spirit has another plan.

It is a good read. I like how she expands on Jung's ideas on Anima. There are some other authors she references I may want to research before our seed meeting.

Arwen 11-07-2011 11:16 AM

_Water for Elephants_ by Sara Gruen

UofMfan 11-07-2011 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arwen (Post 457398)
_Water for Elephants_ by Sara Gruen

Excellent read.

Arwen 11-07-2011 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UofMfan (Post 457405)
Excellent read.

I'm truly enjoying it. Only on chapter four but it's already made me cry and laugh. A good thing in a book. I borrowed it on my Kindle via Amazon. :)

betenoire 11-07-2011 01:07 PM

I am just about finished with:

The Sisters Brothers by Patrick Dewitt

The book is great. The "voice" of the book is Eli Sisters - a hired killer with a heart. Watching someone who you would presume is completely devoid of feeling dote all over a one-eyed horse is just too adorably absurd to pass over.

I'd suggest it.

Estella 11-07-2011 01:14 PM

I'm also reading Possession by A.S. Byatt. Let me re-phrase: slogging through. It's a Booker Prize winner (like Wolf Hall, which I'm also reading) and I usually like them, but mother of god it's slow. I wouldn't recommend it.

tonaderspeisung 11-08-2011 06:32 PM

ok i admit i'm not technically "reading" this series
but i just finished the unabridged audio book version of
girl with the dragon tattoo - i thought it was great, it kept my interest and had me along for the whole ride

and i'm just starting
the girl who played with fire

as an aside: simon vance is a great audio book narrator - he sounds completely involved in the story and he has a clear and present timbre that i find very easy on the ears

tonaderspeisung 11-08-2011 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by *Anya* (Post 454670)
Yeah!! Another zombie apocalypse fan!! (I think?).

Max Brooks wrote one of the best. Being made into a movie with Brad Pitt. Looking forward to it! If you have any interest in the genre, I can tell you some other very well-written ones!

Changing gears right now, reading the new Steve Jobs bio. He was such a genius, fascinatingly complex man.

i would be interested in zombie book recommendations

the last one i read was monster nation by david wellington
it's a fun read

*Anya* 11-08-2011 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonaderspeisung (Post 458807)
i would be interested in zombie book recommendations

the last one i read was monster nation by david wellington
it's a fun read

These I really loved and got all of them on Amazon:

Area 157-Almost Hell by Eric Lowther

Day by Day Armageddon by J.L. Bourne

Rise Again: A Zombie Thriller

Patient Zero by Jonathan Mayberry

Enjoy:)

Let me know if you want any more

Greco 11-11-2011 04:54 PM

"Blue Nights" by Joan Didion ("Year of Magical Thinking")

feels like a long warm swim through
love...not for the weak hearted.

Greco

Tawse 11-11-2011 04:58 PM

Last night I started "Side Jobs" an anthology of random small jobs done between the bigger jobs related to the Dresden Files universe...

I just finished book 13 (Dresden Files)... no idea when book 14 will be released. And I feel a bit upside down with how 13 ended. :blink:

hottprof 11-11-2011 10:18 PM

Sad to report that I am still working on the last Steig Larson book...

however... School books

I am reading

Silent Travlers by Alan M Kraut
A Different Mirror: A history of Multicultural America by Ronald Takaki

SugarFemme 11-11-2011 10:28 PM

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...SH20_OU01_.jpg

It is a such a beautiful story about love and life in conservative and religious Saudi Arabia....

Greco 11-18-2011 03:00 PM

at a cross road...

"Aleph" by Paulo Coelho

For those at a crossroad...magical writing.

Greco

justkim 11-18-2011 03:12 PM

Just got done reading, The girls guide to homelessness by Brianna Karp. I loved it!

girl_dee 11-18-2011 03:13 PM

I'm reading Marie Laveau, Voudou Priestess

Lots of great history!