Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Fluffy Stuff: Flirting, Humor, Chat (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   What are you reading? (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1589)

tazz 11-18-2011 03:19 PM

NASM Essentials of

Personal Fitness Training

Daktari 11-18-2011 03:28 PM

A rather large file of primary resources pertaining to the Munich Crisis.

Venus007 11-18-2011 04:30 PM

Frankenstein or, The Modern Prometheus Mary Shelley

UofMfan 11-18-2011 04:43 PM

I finished Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, I guess being sick gave me the opportunity to finally finish it. It was good, not excellent, and I am sure a sequel is coming.

I have just downloaded and I am getting ready to enjoy this:

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...-0A7yvon1TIrfU

Spanish title: "Confieso que he vivido: Memorias"

I downloaded it both in English and Spanish. I like to see how well the translation is done to see if it truly reflects the meaning of his work.

Rockinonahigh 11-19-2011 12:00 AM

A Clive Cussler book..crescent dawn...love those fast pase action books.

betenoire 11-19-2011 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UofMfan (Post 467611)
I finished Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, I guess being sick gave me the opportunity to finally finish it. It was good, not excellent, and I am sure a sequel is coming.

Totally a sequel, there was no way to leave the ending open like that without a sequel in mind.

It was a cute book. I liked the use of the old photographs. The book did feel a little "young" for me, though.

1QuirkyKiwi 11-21-2011 04:00 AM

After some insistant persuasion be some friends (including one who like me, isn't into fantasy) I'm going the the local Library to get the Twilight trilogy. I've avoided reading the books and watching the movies to date. I'm not really interested in Vampire stories (I read a lot when I was younger and most were fairly generic), the only exception is: Interview with a Vampire by Anne Rice. I still have the book (and movie on DVD), I felt it broke the mould of Vampiric stories and apart from Bram Stoker's Dracula, it holds a bench mark of quality and originality........so, I'll give the Twilight trilogy a chance - no guarantee I'm going to like them, lol!

foxyshaman 12-01-2011 12:51 PM

Geek Alert

I am listening to a six CD set called:

Sitting by the Well ~ Bringing the Feminine to Consciousness through Language, Dreams, and Metaphor By Marion Woodman.

I am giving this CD set to every single woman on my christmas list. It is inspiring, eye opening and filled with deep deep insights. She was described as a mythopoetic author. In Canada, and abroad she was a women's movement figure. She was a Jungian analyst and from what I can tell one of the most widely read authors on feminine psychology. She was anorexic for 25 years and it was her illness that led her to Jungian psychology and dream analysis. I would have loved to have met this charming, intelligent and incredibly witty woman. This CD set has taught me MORE about Feminine symbolism and the female archetype than anything I have ever delved into.

Sparkle 12-01-2011 01:36 PM

I'm currently reading

Snowdrops by A.D. Miller

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...SH20_OU01_.jpg

"That’s the truth about the Russians that I missed until it was too late. The Russians will do the impossible thing—the thing you think they can’t do, the thing you haven’t even thought of. They will set fire to Moscow when the French are coming or poison each other in foreign cities. They will do it, and afterwards they will behave as if nothing has happened at all. And if you stay in Russia long enough, so will you."

Next on deck is IQ84 by Haruki Murakami

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...SH20_OU01_.jpg

Praise for Haruki Murakami:
"Murakami is like a magician who explain what he's doing as he performs the trick and still makes you believe he has supernatural powers... But while anyone can tell a story that resembles a dream, it's a rare artist, like this one, who can make us feel that we are dreaming it ourselves."
— The New York Times Book Review

JAGG 12-01-2011 02:12 PM

I'm reading a book called, "Thinking fast and slow".

Greyson 12-01-2011 02:18 PM

I am currently reading the Jane Dunn book. After I finish this, then onto Gold's book about the Irish Pirate Queen. I was drawn to read these books because they were all very powerful women living in 16th Century Britian. To be powerful women in these times I suspect these women were "above average."

If you like history, and powerful women I think you will enjoy reading these books. Queen Elizabeth and Grace O'Malley did meet, face-to-face. Elizabeth and Mary Queen of Scots never did meet face-to-face. Most of us know how that story ended.
__________________________________________________ ______________

Elizabeth and Mary: Cousins, Rivals, Queens -Jane Dunn

Against the backdrop of sixteenth-century England, Scotland, and France, Dunn paints portraits of a pair of protagonists whose formidable strengths were placed in relentless opposition. Protestant Elizabeth, the bastard daughter of Anne Boleyn, whose legitimacy had to be vouchsafed by legal means, glowed with executive ability and a visionary energy as bright as her red hair. Mary, the Catholic successor whom England’s rivals wished to see on the throne, was charming, feminine, and deeply persuasive. That two such women, queens in their own right, should have been contemporaries and neighbours sets in motion a joint biography of rare spark and page-turning power.

The Pirate Queen: The Story of Grace O'Malley, Irish Pirate -Alan Gold

Grace O'Malley commanded a dozen ships and the obedience of thousands of men. Her empire stretched from Connaught on the Irish coast to the cobalt aters of Africa. Through the daring of her piracy, Grace nearly bankrupted the English treasury-and her outright defiance brought embarrassment to Elizabeth I. Yet the lives of these two amazing women were inextricably intertwined-and their eventual meeting during the most brilliant and romantic era that Europe has ever known would shock the world.

NorCalStud 12-01-2011 02:47 PM

Great hearing new titles. I am into the queens. Amazing women. Thx for the book reports.

Julien 12-01-2011 02:59 PM

I just finished 11/22/63 by Stephen King and beginning The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. King's book was very good and I'm looking forward to The Hunger Games.

lyric 12-01-2011 03:01 PM

Last night I downloaded this for my Kindle, so this is next on the list and I may start it tonight:

Annabel: A Novel

http://amoslassen.files.wordpress.co...pg?w=300&h=300

"Kathleen Winter’s luminous debut novel is a deeply affecting portrait of life in an enchanting seaside town and the trials of growing up unique in a restrictive environment.

In 1968, into the devastating, spare atmosphere of the remote coastal town of Labrador, Canada, a child is born: a baby who appears to be neither fully boy nor fully girl, but both at once. Only three people are privy to the secret—the baby’s parents, Jacinta and Treadway, and a trusted neighbor and midwife, Thomasina. Though Treadway makes the difficult decision to raise the child as a boy named Wayne, the women continue to quietly nurture the boy’s female side. And as Wayne grows into adulthood within the hyper-masculine hunting society of his father, his shadow-self, a girl he thinks of as “Annabel,” is never entirely extinguished.

Kathleen Winter has crafted a literary gem about the urge to unveil mysterious truth in a culture that shuns contradiction, and the body’s insistence on coming home. A daringly unusual debut full of unforgettable beauty, Annabel introduces a remarkable new voice to American readers." from [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Annabel-A-Novel-ebook/dp/product-description/B004I6DD2O/ref=dp_proddesc_0?ie=UTF8&n=133140011&s=digital-text"]Amazon.com: Annabel: A Novel eBook: Kathleen Winter: Kindle Store[/ame]

I just finished this one...

The Red Garden

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_B7i5NyP4ff...d%2Bgarden.jpg

"The Red Garden introduces us to the luminous and haunting world of Blackwell, Massachusetts, capturing the unexpected turns in its history and in our own lives.
In exquisite prose, Hoffman offers a transforming glimpse of small-town America, presenting us with some three hundred years of passion, dark secrets, loyalty, and redemption in a web of tales where characters' lives are intertwined by fate and by their own actions.
From the town's founder, a brave young woman from England who has no fear of blizzards or bears, to the young man who runs away to New York City with only his dog for company, the characters in The Red Garden are extraordinary and vivid: a young wounded Civil War soldier who is saved by a passionate neighbor, a woman who meets a fiercely human historical character, a poet who falls in love with a blind man, a mysterious traveler who comes to town in the year when summer never arrives.
At the center of everyone’s life is a mysterious garden where only red plants can grow, and where the truth can be found by those who dare to look.
Beautifully crafted, shimmering with magic, The Red Garden is as unforgettable as it is moving."
from [ame="http://www.amazon.com/The-Red-Garden-ebook/dp/product-description/B004J4WL6O/ref=dp_proddesc_0?ie=UTF8&n=133140011&s=digital-text"]Amazon.com: The Red Garden eBook: Alice Hoffman: Kindle Store[/ame]

Sassy 12-01-2011 06:36 PM

"Women who run with the wolves"

Read the chapter on "The Ugly Duckling" the other night. There were some lessons to absorb from the story that were enlightening. But mostly, it made me feel pretty blessed and grateful because I've enjoyed a great deal of acceptance in my life from family, friends and peers.

tonaderspeisung 12-01-2011 07:03 PM

i finished the millennium trilogy
overall i liked it but what was up with all that product placement?
if you read it on a tablet are there links so you can order everything too?
big gripe for me.

I also recently finished devil in the white city by erik larson
it's a non fiction account of 2 figures during the period surrounding the chicago world's fair
one the head architect of the fair and the other a serial killer
i enjoyed it

justkim 12-01-2011 07:07 PM

I have given in and picked up the first book from a series that is on HBO. Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin, so far so good.

rockybcn 12-02-2011 04:30 AM

reading a series of books by author Jean M. Auel.

The Clan of the Cave Bear, 1980
The Valley of Horses, 1982
The Mammoth Hunters, 1985
The Plains of Passage, 1990
The Shelters of Stone, 2002
The Land of Painted Caves, 2011

PinkieLee 12-06-2011 09:27 AM

My honey and I have started the Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins. I just started the first book last night and read about 8 chapaters, D started the series on Saturday and is already on the last book. Yep, within the first few pages you get sucked in.

JackMcGrath 12-06-2011 09:49 AM

Stone Butch Blues - Leslie Feinberg (a re-read, of course).

The Help - Kathryn Stockett (saw the movie, hoping the book is just as good).

Double Cross - James Patterson