Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   Current Affairs/World Issues/Science And History (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=133)
-   -   Backscatter (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1328)

Andrea 11-30-2010 10:17 AM

Who didn't see this coming?

Pat down to ride Greyhound test

betenoire 11-30-2010 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea (Post 238312)
Who didn't see this coming?

Pat down to ride Greyhound test

This is specifically about classism and racism.

I've taken a lot of Greyhound. As someone who does not own a car and who cannot afford to fly, any time that I want to go somewhere that is within 12 hours of my home - I go there on Greyhound.

Any time that I have crossed the border from Canada to the US via Greyhound I was treated like a criminal - in ways that I was NEVER treated like a criminal when driving across the border or flying over the border. I'm not going to lie - any time I've been on a Greyhound bus 90% or more of the other passengers have been POC. I would guess that 100% of the people on the bus with me (myself included) make under 24k a year, some of us WELL under that.

To be poor or POC and ESPECIALLY to be both poor and POC is to immediately be suspect when dealing with homeland security goons.

Glenn 11-30-2010 10:48 AM

My cousin trained bomb-sniffing dogs and he told me it says a hell of a lot if soldiers in Iraq and the FBI ditched the $100,000 xray scanners in favor of the $8,000 dogs. F*** these scanners. They are unconstitutional and unnecessary, and plain do not work!

Waldo 11-30-2010 11:50 AM

*scratching head*

How is this about classism and racism?

If the exact same things are happening in the airports - where, based on your logic, the white and economically well off are frisked, how does putting the same efforts at bus terminals translate to class and race targeting?

As for being suspect? I'm your average every day non POC appearing, economically privileged masculine appearing woman.

And, as of last night my roll of EVERY. Single. TIME I have flown during the month of November... whether the backscatter machines are in use or not, I have been pulled aside for additional screening. I expect that tomorrow morning at this time I'll be standing with my arms outstretched and having a stranger get friendly with me again.

The latest analysis of the greyhound traveler is 20 years old, so I'm going to guess there's a good chance that the demographic has shifted further toward your numbers, but in 1989 it was 70% of their travelers who earned less than $25k. I seem to recall someone on another site pointing out that there were routes on which airfare was often comparable, if not cheaper, than taking Greyhound. Or perhaps it was Amtrak that I'm thinking of?

Sorry, this particular outrage just doesn't pass the sniff test to me. It's still about money. It's being "tested" to see how much blowback they get. If the blowback is not strong you'll start seeing more and more equipment like the backscatter machines there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by betenoire (Post 238318)
This is specifically about classism and racism.

I've taken a lot of Greyhound. As someone who does not own a car and who cannot afford to fly, any time that I want to go somewhere that is within 12 hours of my home - I go there on Greyhound.

Any time that I have crossed the border from Canada to the US via Greyhound I was treated like a criminal - in ways that I was NEVER treated like a criminal when driving across the border or flying over the border. I'm not going to lie - any time I've been on a Greyhound bus 90% or more of the other passengers have been POC. I would guess that 100% of the people on the bus with me (myself included) make under 24k a year, some of us WELL under that.

To be poor or POC and ESPECIALLY to be both poor and POC is to immediately be suspect when dealing with homeland security goons.

Glenn 11-30-2010 12:06 PM

Testing what?:| Who chooses the radiation lane or the molestation lane?

EnderD_503 11-30-2010 12:32 PM

It's more about control over the population than passenger safety, and an example of how terrorist threats and western governments benefit each other. The more afraid of "the enemy" a government renders its population, the more the general population is willing to overlook the boots stomping all over their rights. The more western governments invade foreign nations and propagate discrimination, the easier it is for religious extremists to recruit people to their cause.

Right now in Canada these are only in place for flights destined for the United States as far as I know, and not to the EU...which I'm personally thankful for. Just hope it stays that way into next summer, because I would be ready to give up my ticket in order to avoid these things.

Linus 12-11-2010 11:36 AM

It's interesting. I've had to go through the backscatter twice in the past four weeks as part of travels and they were pretty quick and non-invasive. TSA is generally professional.

That said, however, because my plane ticket was still under my previous name I had to bring my name change document with me along with my new passport. It wasn't an issue for TSA until I was leaving IAD (Dulles in DC) to go to LAX. I got pulled out of line and queried on this.

IAD has to have the WORST setup for security screening I've ever seen. Everyone (and I mean EVERYONE) goes through a single TSA screening point (rather than having different ones for different terminals). I didn't have to go through the backscatter but to be pulled aside, asked why my name change was done in 2009 and the ticket reflective of now, blah blah, was humiliating and completely uncalled for. Basically, it nearly outed me and I swear, if I had been asked why I did the name change I would have filed a suit shortly afterwards.

I did notice when I was leaving LAX a few weeks ago they had changed their patdown procedure and were randomly (truly randomly) checking people and describing better what they were doing. I think they did listen and heard what people have said. Not every flight and not everyone will be backscattered. And I have seen that the room is separate (and it is an enclosed room with no windows -- they communicate via radio to the person in the room).

I wish they would do a proper external audit of the security behind them and the procedure of how images are stored but all-in-all, they are not that bad.

Waldo 12-16-2010 06:46 PM

Friends and neighbors... this is why it's "Security Theatre" and not security:

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/loaded...qkw=&tqshow=WN

Corkey 12-19-2010 04:54 PM

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Qdb6wC0Iz4"]YouTube - Grandma Got Molested At The Airport[/nomedia]

Speaking of political theater, Happy Holidays!

Andrea 12-23-2010 08:17 AM

The National Center for Transgender Equality sent the linked letter to the TSA citing some unpleasant TSA experiences for transgender passengers.

This type of harassment does not make me feel any safer.

NCTE letter to TSA

Andrea

Gina 12-23-2010 10:40 AM

2 cents worth..

I am thinking that I would rather be scanned/searched rather than having the guy/woman behind me get through with a bomb taped to their balls/vagina..

Andrea 12-23-2010 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gina (Post 251767)
I am thinking that I would rather be scanned/searched rather than having the guy/woman behind me get through with a bomb taped to their balls/vagina..

Are you aware no terrorist has been caught as a result of the scans/searches and it has been admitted they probably would not have caught the underwear bomber using the scans/searches?

Andrea

Nat 12-23-2010 01:52 PM

Quote:

My girlfriend said recently she'd be happy to just take off all her clothes and do a body cavity check too if it meant she got to fly down here for a month. But then she said she would never want to fly with kids under the current conditions - would never want to subject kids to it.

My feeling is that just because some individuals are fine with being handled this way, that doesn't really mean it's okay. I feel entitled to a certain amount of sovereignty over my body and I see the policies as extremely violative and anxiety-triggering. How long before junior highs and high schools begin using similar methods?

Nat 12-23-2010 02:01 PM

I am going to try to use another example here - maybe it will hold water.

It is a legal right in the u.s. to keep and bear arms.

I don't own a gun because I feel the personal risks of my owning a gun would outweigh the benefits of owning one.

However - just because I don't want a gun in my house, that wouldn't be a justifiable reason for me to advocate for repeal of the 2nd amendment.

Just because you personally would make the choice to be scanned or groped or both - that doesnt mean everybody else will or should be subjected to it.

Waldo 12-23-2010 05:26 PM

Quote:

And did you miss my link? Where it was exposed that people are somewhat regularly getting through security with guns, very visible, in their carry on bags?

It kills me that people still blindly accept this because they *think* it must help.

Waldo 12-23-2010 07:34 PM

And here's another for you:

Airline pilot videotapes security flaws at SFO - http://news.travel.aol.com/2010/12/2...ecurity-flaws/