Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Fluffy Stuff: Flirting, Humor, Chat (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   What are you reading? (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1589)

NJFemmie 06-11-2012 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Incubus (Post 594597)
Mein Kampf :|

Interesting.
I'm reading Forgotten Holocaust.

aishah 06-12-2012 04:06 AM

fifty shades of grey.

mostly for the lulz?

Talon 06-12-2012 11:52 AM

La Llorona legend...

A Pattern of Silent Tears~by Marianna Ruybalid

Blade 06-12-2012 08:57 PM

The Blessed Life by Robert Morris

Fancy 06-13-2012 06:40 AM

God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything

Christopher Hitchens

justkim 06-13-2012 07:10 AM

For my birthday I got a fabulous gift card. I had it spent in one day.

Capote, a biography, by Gerald Clarke
In cold blood, by Truman Capote
Wild, by Cheryl Strayed

I love coming in here as it gives me more ideas for books to read. I have a whole list of books to choose from.
Happy reading everyone!

The JD 06-13-2012 08:31 AM

I couldn't even finish the new Augusten Burroughs book. Maybe I just didn't get it, but I think he's being serious and trying to offer real self-help advice.... except he comes of as soooo cynical and inept that it's like George Costanza from Seinfeld has taken possession of Dr. Wayne Dyer. Burroughs has his catty queen moments, which is maybe what he was going for, but he takes himself far too seriously and it ends up coming off as preachy and irritating. Have you ever been subjected to the ramblings of a drunk at 2 AM, and you're stone cold sober? You know how they're so certain and declarative, and sure that every word they say is so profound and meaningful... but the logic is so circular and redundant, and really, they're just annoying as hell? Yeah, that's this book.

Instead of finishing the Augusten Burroughs book (even the title is too annoying to retype here), I read Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen. Good quick read, lots of interesting depression-era historical facts, but it doesn't really live up to the hype. Maybe that's unfair, though- without the expectations that came from all the hype, I'd have no complaints.

Last night I downloaded Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith. I haven't started it yet- I'm still laughing at myself for even buying it. But dammit, the movie trailer actually looks good!! :blush:

justkim 06-13-2012 08:58 AM

I saw the trailers too. I will look into the book after you give your review. No pressure! lol...

Quote:

Originally Posted by The JD (Post 601436)
I couldn't even finish the new Augusten Burroughs book. Maybe I just didn't get it, but I think he's being serious and trying to offer real self-help advice.... except he comes of as soooo cynical and inept that it's like George Costanza from Seinfeld has taken possession of Dr. Wayne Dyer. Burroughs has his catty queen moments, which is maybe what he was going for, but he takes himself far too seriously and it ends up coming off as preachy and irritating. Have you ever been subjected to the ramblings of a drunk at 2 AM, and you're stone cold sober? You know how they're so certain and declarative, and sure that every word they say is so profound and meaningful... but the logic is so circular and redundant, and really, they're just annoying as hell? Yeah, that's this book.

Instead of finishing the Augusten Burroughs book (even the title is too annoying to retype here), I read Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen. Good quick read, lots of interesting depression-era historical facts, but it doesn't really live up to the hype. Maybe that's unfair, though- without the expectations that came from all the hype, I'd have no complaints.

Last night I downloaded Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith. I haven't started it yet- I'm still laughing at myself for even buying it. But dammit, the movie trailer actually looks good!! :blush:

Tawse 06-13-2012 10:12 AM

Wool - by Hugh Howey

Author's description of story: This is the story of mankind clawing for survival, of mankind on the edge. The world outside has grown unkind, the view of it limited, talk of it forbidden. But there are always those who hope, who dream. These are the dangerous people, the residents who infect others with their optimism. Their punishment is simple. They are given the very thing they profess to want: They are allowed outside.

So far so good - I'm about 60% done with the omnibus (volumes 1 - 5 all in one file 550 pages worth).

Could improve on his character development - but the plot is intriguing and I still have no idea what's going to happen, which is very unusual for me.

dark_crystal 06-13-2012 10:13 AM

Agnes Grey.
What a whiner!

nycfem 06-13-2012 04:02 PM

I read two great books, both of which I strongly recommend.

1) The Man in the Gray Flannel Skirt by Jon-Jon Goulian

This is a memoir by a quirky brilliant hilarious genderqueer. A real stand out! If you've ever felt like a misfit but followed your own path anyway and laughed at yourself to keep the sadness from overtaking you, you'll love this book! It's truly a unique read!

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/The-Man-Gray-Flannel-Skirt/dp/1400068118"]Amazon.com: The Man in the Gray Flannel Skirt (9781400068111): Jon-Jon Goulian: Books[/ame]

2) You Don't Look Like Anyone I Know: A True Story of Family, Face Blindness, and Forgiveness by Heather Sellers

This book got so-so reviews but it shouldn't have because it was AMAZING. It's a memoir by a woman with the condition of face blindness, where someone can't see faces. Ms. Sellers is a BRILLIANT woman and shares her research on face blindness as it relates to her own face blindness. She grew up with a schizophrenic mother who was too paranoid to look at the author's face, even as a baby, and the author wonders if this is what caused her face blindness. She goes on to describe psychological theory related to her own theory about this. In addition to the issue of face blindness being beautifully addressed in the book (including the hardships of being face blind and the awkwardness of whether to come out at work, for instance), she gives a wonderful history of life in an extremely dysfunctional family. This book had every aspect of what makes a great book to me. Check it out!

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Dont-Look-Like-Anyone-Know/dp/B007SRXKMS/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1339624629&sr=1-2&keywords=face+blindness"]Amazon.com: You Don't Look Like Anyone I Know: A True Story of Family, Face Blindness, and Forgiveness: Heather Sellers: Books[/ame]

DamonK 06-13-2012 05:07 PM

Working on a series. Historical fiction. Interesting and entertaining for me. By Shayne Parkinson

Sentence of Marriage
Mud and Gold
Settling the Account
A Second Chance

Then another book by same person, "All I Want"

GreeneyedMe 06-13-2012 05:20 PM

Lord of the Two Lands by Judith Farr

Lord of the Two Lands is firmly based in the history of Alexander the Great, and steeped in the rich sun drenched magics of ancient Egypt.

Cannot put this book down. Love anything about Egypt!

femmsational 06-13-2012 05:28 PM

The owners manual to my weed wacker.

pajama 06-13-2012 06:12 PM

I am trying to read the Fire and Ice series, I think that's what it's called. The one Game of Thrones is based on. I am not enjoying the way it's written. So far I've only made it through the first 10 or so people. And I've been reading it for two weeks. ugggggh If She didn't recommend it I wouldn't have ever gotten them, because I'd read the jacket covers and just wasn't that interested.

Kätzchen 06-14-2012 05:50 PM

Ovid (Amazon)

http://images.betterworldbooks.com/0...0253200020.jpg (for bedside reading)

http://i43.tower.com/images/mm111727...-cover-art.jpg (to read/listen to on the train)

I tend to read slowly, but I'm enjoying both sets of literature.
Poetic, deeply profound, context is rich.

I checked both out from the library.

Rating: excellent.

Talon 06-20-2012 01:27 PM

THE UNIVERSAL DECLARATION OF HUMAN RIGHTS

~co-authored by Eleanor Roosevelt

DamonK 06-20-2012 02:54 PM

Assuming it comes in today...

Probably an algebra book...

Long story.

Otherwise, I may buy another Gor book

Mr Nice Guy 06-20-2012 04:30 PM

The Hunger Games. Just started it. :)

Fancy 06-20-2012 07:43 PM

Nearly fell over when I saw this title in the small town library...so I had to pick it up and check it out.

A Positive View for LGBTQ: Embracing Identity and Cultivating Well-Being

Ellen Riggle