Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   Celebrity, Music, Television, Internet Culture (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Currently Playing (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=882)

Jess 02-16-2010 10:46 AM

Currently Playing

Thought it might be a good way to share current documentaries/ films etc in one thread...

Right now on LOGO :
The Opposite Sex: Rene's Story....Events lead up to a female-to-male gender reassignment surgery.

Please post what you're watching!

Kenna 02-16-2010 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jess (Post 50938)
Thought it might be a good way to share current documentaries/ films etc in one thread...

Right now on LOGO :
The Opposite Sex: Rene's Story....Events lead up to a female-to-male gender reassignment surgery.

awww, I don't have cable or dish...can't watch anything currently playing without going to the movies. All I get is old stuff from Netflix :( :(
But I look forward to reading everyone's posts and hearing about what I'm missing... Thanks Jess!

weatherboi 02-16-2010 11:24 AM

That sounds like a great movie!!! Thanks!!!

I am enjoying all documentaries related to food but my favorite one currently is this

http://www.foodincmovie.com/about-the-film.php

Quote:

Right now on LOGO :

Liam 02-16-2010 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet (Post 50945)
awww, I don't have cable or dish...can't watch anything currently playing without going to the movies. All I get is old stuff from Netflix :( :(
But I look forward to reading everyone's posts and hearing about what I'm missing... Thanks Jess!

Netflix has some great documentaries, go ahead and share them!

I really enjoyed Ghengis Blues, the story of a blind blues musician's journey to Tuva to compete in a national throat singing competition.

Apocalipstic 02-16-2010 01:02 PM

I am watching History of Britain ordered from Netflix.

I love Netflix.

Lady Jewel 02-16-2010 01:43 PM

Thank you for sharing this Jess. I just set the DVR for it. :)

Jewel

Quote:

Right now on LOGO :

Blade 02-16-2010 01:52 PM

Dang why don't that stuff come on when I'm home? Every documentary I've seen but 2 or 3 have been MTF, I'd like to see more FTM documentaries

Quote:

Right now on LOGO :

Jess 02-16-2010 05:43 PM

I got to see part of it this afternoon but missed the intro. GRR.. Will try to catch it again in it's entire length. I set the DVR up to record it for Christie also. From what I did see, it is an amazing story on many levels.

After watching it all I may end up starting a thread about it. It touches on a hella lot of different issues for both the FTM and his wife, family, church. Really powerful stuff!

Thanks for links and suggestions to other documentaries. There are some wonderful filmmakers out there telling stories now that have never been heard.

Kenna 02-16-2010 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liam (Post 50992)
Netflix has some great documentaries, go ahead and share them!

I really enjoyed Ghengis Blues, the story of a blind blues musician's journey to Tuva to compete in a national throat singing competition.

Thank you Liam.

I REALLY seriously enjoyed "Wild China" (it has six episodes). I love all things travel related, wanted to be a geographer, geologist, biologist, oceanographer and/or archeologist - and pilot biplanes too! :flying::flying: - when I was younger (and not so wrapped up in raising a family). I still have a passion for our diverse planet and learning about different cultures. This documentary about China had STUNNING photography, was very well written & edited and was very detailed about the various cultures, natural habitats and the history of China. The political turmoil in China prevents many authors/producers of documentaries from sharing various things with the outside world (no offense intended to anyone with Asian Heritage...but from what I've been told, the Chinese Government censors very heavily). Considering that, I was extremely impressed with this series on China.

My sister speaks several languages fluently... Chinese being her most current... while taking linguistics classes, she also acquired a History Major. I found many things in this series to strike up conversations with her about...on common grounds. Not just your regular small talk...

This documentary gave me a new respect for the heritage, culture and history of all the ethnic groups mentioned in "Wild China".

AtLast 03-07-2010 12:55 PM

http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2008/scream.bloody.murder/

Christiane Amanpour Reports

Scream bloody Murder: A French priest in Cambodia. An idealistic U.S. Senate staffer in Iraq. A Canadian general in Rwanda. Each one tried to focus the world's attention on genocide. Each time, they were shunned, ignored or told it was someone else's problem.

Jess 05-10-2011 06:03 PM

Our America with Lisa Ling

OWN Network

Transgender Lives Special ( 2011) Five transgender people across America

Sparkle 05-10-2011 06:16 PM

Glee! :) >>>>

Duchess 05-16-2011 12:53 PM

Has anyone seen Priest yet?

BestButchBoy 11-28-2013 08:22 AM

Check These Out - Good Stuff - Time Worthy

Docs:
20 Feet From Stardom [I now communicate regularly with Lisa Fischer!]

Looking For Sugarman-Sixto Rodriguez was/is everything Bob Dylan isn't. Amazing story.

Film:
Rush-Great biopic.
12 Years A Slave-Moving.
The Butler-Good story, but, I had trouble with suspension of disbelief with Oprah.

How about you? What do you like and suggest?

BestButchBoy 11-28-2013 03:58 PM

BTW

I just saw Dallas Buyer's Club. All I can say is, Jared Leto gave a brave and heart-wrenching performance.

Time worthy. A fervent reminder of what people have gone thru, go thru.

Nat 11-28-2013 08:42 PM

Scandal Season 3 "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner"

Girl_On_Fire 11-28-2013 09:13 PM

At the moment I'm watching, "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest".

If anyone is looking for an insightful documentary, I recommend "The Shaman's Apprentice", about the attempt to preserve the ancient and sacred art of Native American medicine. It's amazing how much of this live-saving, healing culture has been destroyed or lost in favor of what we now call progress.

Kätzchen 11-29-2013 02:57 PM

...~*Whistling, Whistler, Whistle*~...

Don't know if it's a fetish of mine (or not), but whistling seems to have been a part of my 'universe' for some time now. Thought I'd leave a couple of items of interest, things I listened too yesterday or watched online .... sort of an exploration on "Whistling, Whistler, Whistle' from my evening, last night.

Radio (1940s era): The Whistler

"I am the Whistler, and I know many things, for I walk by night. I know many strange tales, hidden in the hearts of men and women who have stepped into the shadows. Yes... I know the nameless terrors of which they dare not speak..... Tonight's Tale: "The Voice In The Dark."

Original Air Date: July 25, 1942
Episode Number: 11

Film Noir: Return of the Whistler (1948)

(William Castle)

Bonus Film: Comrade X (December 13th, 1940)

A light-hearted spy movie, starring: Hedy Lamarr & Clark Gable.
Gable's housecoat in polka-dots was ..... awesome. :)

-xXx :stillheart: xXx-

Girl_On_Fire 11-29-2013 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kätzchen (Post 865812)
Don't know if it's a fetish of mine (or not), but whistling seems to have been a part of my 'universe' for some time now. Thought I'd leave a couple of items of interest, things I listened too yesterday or watched online .... sort of an exploration on "Whistling, Whistler, Whistle' from my evening, last night.

Ha! I thought I was the only one who still liked these old-time radio shows. I download them from iTunes. :)

Jess 12-09-2013 03:17 AM

I first heard her story on NPR in a segment from TheMoth.org If you haven't heard of this filmmaker or her Film, please check out this link. Listen to her story and be sure to watch the trailer. I have no doubt it is a documentary most of this community will enjoy.

http://themoth.org/posts/stories/life-flight

Kimberly Reed : Life Flight