Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Fluffy Stuff: Flirting, Humor, Chat (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   What are you reading? (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1589)

EmJay 02-17-2014 02:06 PM

I haven't opened a book in so long but seeing this thread really makes me want to start a new book. I love reading, it puts me in my own element and relaxes me :) a great way to end my evening too. *wanders over to my bookshelf*

Butterbean 02-18-2014 12:22 PM

I picked this book up after seeing this author interviewed. She's a wonderful storyteller. I've only read one of the stories so far but it is fascinating. I'm going to work on finishing this up.

http://idesweb.bc.edu/baden6/sites/i...Faderman72.jpg

Greco 02-23-2014 07:04 AM

music

Yes, I have heard that "A Suitable Girl" is not yet out. As for "An Equal Music" I found the writing, the plot, and of course I "heard" the music throughout this story. His novel "A Suitable Boy" I also liked but not as much.

Now am reading Nikki Giovanni's "Chasing Utopia: A Hybrid"

It is beautiful, sad, and heart-warming for me, and a G_d send.

Greco

=Martina;893037]I didn't like it. I loved A Suitable Boy. I read that he has written a sequel called A Suitable Girl, I think. Not released yet. He's still editing. I hate it when a writer you like takes years and years to write a book.

I am reading The Disappearing Spoon: And Other True Tales of Madness, Love, and the History of the World from the Periodic Table of the Elements. So far, it's entertaining.[/QUOTE]

Soon 02-23-2014 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butterbean (Post 893515)
I picked this book up after seeing this author interviewed. She's a wonderful storyteller. I've only read one of the stories so far but it is fascinating. I'm going to work on finishing this up.

http://idesweb.bc.edu/baden6/sites/i...Faderman72.jpg

I remember reading this way back when (uni days).

Such interesting stories!

cinnamongrrl 02-23-2014 09:09 AM

I am currently very engaged in Captured by Indians~15 Firsthand Accounts 1750~1870
The entries offer a great deal of insight into the (then) unblemished culture of early Native Americans.
The only downfall; they are original accounts...I can adjust to the vocabulary of the day...but some of the authors were just better writers than others. I muddle through the ones that dont write as well. The stories are still very interesting.

Soon 02-23-2014 03:59 PM

i like it

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...SH20_OU01_.jpg

Amazon: Book Description
Publication Date: April 30, 2013
From the New York Times best-selling author of The Emperor’s Children, a masterly new novel: the riveting confession of a woman awakened, transformed and betrayed by a desire for a world beyond her own.

Nora Eldridge, an elementary school teacher in Cambridge, Massachusetts, long ago compromised her dream to be a successful artist, mother and lover. She has instead become the “woman upstairs,” a reliable friend and neighbor always on the fringe of others’ achievements. Then into her life arrives the glamorous and cosmopolitan Shahids—her new student Reza Shahid, a child who enchants as if from a fairy tale, and his parents: Skandar, a dashing Lebanese professor who has come to Boston for a fellowship at Harvard, and Sirena, an effortlessly alluring Italian artist.

When Reza is attacked by schoolyard bullies, Nora is drawn deep into the complex world of the Shahid family; she finds herself falling in love with them, separately and together. Nora’s happiness explodes her boundaries, and she discovers in herself an unprecedented ferocity—one that puts her beliefs and her sense of self at stake.

Told with urgency, intimacy and piercing emotion, this brilliant novel of passion and artistic fulfillment explores the intensity, thrill—and the devastating cost—of embracing an authentic life.

sara-bera 02-24-2014 03:48 AM

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41y4fV4Mu-L.jpg

The short fiction of American literary cult figure Paul Bowles is marked by a unique, delicately spare style, and a dark, rich, exotic mood, by turns chilling, ironic, and wry—possessing a symmetry between beauty and terror that is haunting and ultimately moral. In "Pastor Dowe at Tecaté," a Protestant missionary is sent to a faraway place where his God has no power. In "Call at Corazón," an American husband abandons his alcoholic wife on their honeymoon in a South American jungle. In "Allal," a boy's drug-induced metamorphosis into a deadly serpent leads to his violent death. Here also are some of Bowles's most famous works, including "The Delicate Prey," a grimly satisfying tale of vengeance, and "A Distant Episode," which Tennessee Williams proclaimed "a masterpiece."

Raymond Carver once said that he liked short stories that had "some feeling of threat or sense of menace." He would have loved Bowles's work. These pieces, set mostly in Tangier where Bowles, an American expatriate, lived most of his life and died in 2001 are often bizarre, sadistic, and menacing. In appearance, Bowles was an elegant man, but as a narrator he was remote, pitiless, and unsympathetic, and he dealt harshly with his characters, whether Moroccan or European expatriates. In "The Garden," "Mejdoub," and "Things Gone and Things Still Here," which echo Moroccan legend and folklore, the unrelenting desert is a huge presence. In other stories, like "The Hours After Noon" and "Too Far from Home," Bowles exposes the psychological fragility of the non-African in the North African desert, where Western values are a chimera. Containing 62 stories arranged chronologically and spanning 40 years, this edition is being published as part of the 30th anniversary of Ecco Press, of which Bowles was a cofounder. Essential for larger fiction collections.

sara-bera 02-24-2014 03:51 AM

and also:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51KXoYsf3VL.jpg

From the Back Cover:
A wildly inventive new collection of stories by Joyce Carol Oates that charts the surprising ways in which the world we think we know can unexpectedly reveal its darker contours

The New York Times has hailed Joyce Carol Oates as "a dangerous writer in the best sense of the word, one who takes risks almost obsessively with energy and relish."Black Dahlia & White Rose, a collection of eleven previously uncollected stories, showcases the keen rewards of Oates's relentless brio and invention. In one beautifully honed story after another, Oates explores the menace that lurks at the edges of and intrudes upon even the seemingly safest of lives—and maps with rare emotional acuity the transformational cost of such intrusions.

Unafraid to venture into no-man's-lands both real and surreal, Oates takes readers deep into dangerous territory,from a maximum-security prison—vividly delineating the heartbreaking and unexpected atmosphere of such an institution—to the inner landscapes of two beautiful and mysteriously doomed young women in 1940s Los Angeles: Elizabeth Short, otherwise known as the Black Dahlia,victim of a long-unsolved and particularly brutal murder,and her roommate Norma Jeane Baker, soon to become Marilyn Monroe. Whether exploring the psychological compulsion of the wife of a well-to-do businessman who is ravished by, and elopes with, a lover who is not what he seems or the uneasily duplicitous relationships between young women and their parents, Black Dahlia & White Rose explores the compelling intertwining of dread and desire,the psychic pull and trauma of domestic life, and resonates at every turn with Oates's mordant humor and her trenchant observation.

JAGG 02-24-2014 07:01 AM

A book called "Life after life."

Sparkle 02-24-2014 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAGG (Post 894979)
A book called "Life after life."

I loved it!

nycfem 02-24-2014 09:16 PM

I'm reading "The Sex Lives of Cannibals" again. It's such an engrossing travel memoir :)

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/The-Sex-Lives-Cannibals-Equatorial/dp/0767915305/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393298194&sr=8-1&keywords=The+Sex+Lives+of+Cannibals"]The Sex Lives of Cannibals: Adrift in the Equatorial Pacific: J. Maarten Troost: 9780767915304: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

deathbypoem 02-25-2014 11:38 AM

http://www.npr.org/books/titles/156927567/the-dog-stars

This :)

Talon 02-25-2014 01:06 PM

If you liked "FREAKONOMICS"....

"The Why Axis" (Hidden motives and the undiscovered economics of everyday life)

by Uri Gneezy and John A. List

Medusa 03-01-2014 11:22 PM

Just picked up "The Black Arts: A Concise History of Witchcraft, Demonology, Astrology, and Other Mystical Practices Throughout the Ages" by Richard Cavendish

Looks to be pretty interesting so far!!

Talon 03-03-2014 11:43 AM

If you enjoyed Strayed's book Wild....

Some Nerve : Lessons Learned While Becoming Brave

By Patty Chang Anker

tonaderspeisung 03-16-2014 08:04 PM

the callas legacy - the complete guide to her recordings by john ardoin

extremely technical and detailed

im adding listening to at least one piece of music - with the attention to nuance, emotion depth and musical technicalities described in this book - to my bucket list

no doubt

Medusa 03-16-2014 08:13 PM

Just started "Ozark Magic and Folklore" by Vance Randolph

Aud 03-16-2014 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Medusa (Post 896526)
Just picked up "The Black Arts: A Concise History of Witchcraft, Demonology, Astrology, and Other Mystical Practices Throughout the Ages" by Richard Cavendish

Looks to be pretty interesting so far!!

I'm a big fan of Richard Cavendish.

My 'prize' collection is the entire illustrated encyclopedia series of Cavendish's 'Man, Myth & Magic' - it's A-Z on the supernatural/occult, and so chock-full of fascinating info/history, with the most wonderful art & photographs.

mythy 03-17-2014 10:29 AM

Reading

I am reading Innocence by Dean Koontz:)

and his Odd Thomas books are cracking also especially with a nice cuppa

Fancy 03-17-2014 11:59 AM

The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling

No Harry Potter anywhere near this book. Reviewers have called this book dull, but I'll read it anyway. I think I can't expect to keep her on a Harry Potter pedestal and should go into this book not considering her previous fame.