Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Fluffy Stuff: Flirting, Humor, Chat (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   What are you reading? (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1589)

deathbypoem 05-17-2014 01:04 PM

Currently not reading anything b/c I am anxiously waiting my new books!

One of them is called Saving Cinnamon. Can't wait to get my hands on that one!

Also, Church of Lies. Should be interesting.

nycfem 05-18-2014 03:31 PM

I've been reading the book "You Don't Know Me but you don't like me: Phish, Insane Clown Posse, and my misadventures with two of music's most maligned tribes" by Nathan Rabin

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/You-Dont-Know-Like-Misadventures/dp/1451626886/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1400448118&sr=1-1&keywords=you+don%27t+know+me+but+you+don%27t+lik e+me"]You Don't Know Me but You Don't Like Me: Phish, Insane Clown Posse, and My Misadventures with Two of Music's Most Maligned Tribes: Nathan Rabin: 9781451626889: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

I picked it up for the ICP factor (Insane Clown Posse). I always get a kick out of Juggalos (the lifestyle devotees and followers of ICP). I'm not into Phish, so I skipped around and read only the ICP chapters. The book is a non-fiction book where Nathan follows both bands (in person with their other followers) for a few years and writes about it. I loved the ICP chapters as I thought I would. I found him to be such a good writer for those chapters that I decided to even read the Phish chapters. I got through a few but ultimately got too bored due to not being into Phish. I'm glad I read the Phish chapters, though, because he is simply a cool writer. I enjoyed his description of the role of psychadelic drugs in the fanbase of Phish. I liked how in the book he did not observe but fully integrated himself into the experience with both bands (including taking the drugs). Perhaps my favorite thing about the book was the reactions it got me as I held it and read it on my subway commute. It has a neon cover that says in big letters: "You don't know me but you don't like me." I felt like everyone was drawn to reading that cover. It was kind of funny. I do recommend this book. It was informative, interesting, well-written, weird, and very, very funny. The author had a fucked up childhood in a foster care group home, and I think that informs his experience of identifying with other misfits who find a community of band followers that make life meaningful.

afixer 06-02-2014 10:19 PM

Just Walking: The Zen of the A.T.
-James C. Purdy

Venus007 06-03-2014 03:14 AM

"American Gods" Neil Gaiman

afixer 06-09-2014 11:20 AM

Hyperbole and a Half: Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanisms, Mayhem, and Other Things That Happened
by Allie Brosh

Smiling 06-09-2014 11:27 AM

The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying
Sogyal Rinpoche

I Ching
as translated by Taoist Master Alfred Huang

RockOn 06-09-2014 02:11 PM

Should be in the news section here at BFP but no time for a search ... hopped on for just a few seconds to provide this link.

I am fuming ...

News article:

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/06/08/us...ml?c=us&page=0

Reparative therapy???

Kelt 06-13-2014 05:01 PM

I'm checking out an app that seems to be pretty good. It provides summaries of current non-fiction books written by real editors so that you can get a good idea of the salient points of the book or to decide you want more and go ahead and buy it.

I think it would be great for transit commuting or waiting rooms. Knock out a book or two on a commute. I'm trying it on the three day free trial, it is a little pricey to subscribe but there are a variety of levels to choose from.

It's called Blinkist.

cinnamongrrl 06-13-2014 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelt (Post 915150)
I'm checking out an app that seems to be pretty good. It provides summaries of current non-fiction books written by real editors so that you can get a good idea of the salient points of the book or to decide you want more and go ahead and buy it.

I think it would be great for transit commuting or waiting rooms. Knock out a book or two on a commute. I'm trying it on the three day free trial, it is a little pricey to subscribe but there are a variety of levels to choose from.

It's called Blinkist.

that sounds awesome... I am a chronic non fiction reader....I will bestow upon you the best compliment Ive ever received. "You're smart like McGyver!!"

Kelt 06-13-2014 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cinnamongrrl (Post 915152)
that sounds awesome... I am a chronic non fiction reader....I will bestow upon you the best compliment Ive ever received. "You're smart like McGyver!!"

I've been called a lot of things... But McGyver is probably the best!

I've read two summaries so far (they take 15-20min) and have decided that "The Signal and the Noise" is going to graduate to my pick up at the library and read the whole thing list. Also, "The Power of Full Engagement" looks like a re-hash of a bunch of other books so I'll pass. :glasses:

nycfem 06-13-2014 06:03 PM

How cool. I only read non-fiction and a lot of it so do let us know what you end up thinking!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelt (Post 915150)

It's called Blinkist.

Liam 06-13-2014 08:21 PM

I just finished reading Mary Roach's Packing for Mars: The Curious Science of Life in the Void, and now understand why she has been called America's funniest science writer. Personally, I have now lost any romantic notions about space travel, and I know far more about it than I wish I did. Roach's research goes beyond dilligent, yet her writing is accessible, and entertaining. I laughed out loud so many times, I lost count.

I look forward to reading her other titles - Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex, Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers, and Spook: Science Tackles the Afterlife.

The JD 06-13-2014 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liam (Post 915181)
I just finished reading Mary Roach's Packing for Mars: The Curious Science of Life in the Void, and now understand why she has been called America's funniest science writer. Personally, I have now lost any romantic notions about space travel, and I know far more about it than I wish I did. Roach's research goes beyond dilligent, yet her writing is accessible, and entertaining. I laughed out loud so many times, I lost count.

I look forward to reading her other titles - Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex, Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers, and Spook: Science Tackles the Afterlife.

Love love love her. Don't forget Gulp: Adventures on the Alimentary Canal!

Stiff remains my favorite- I even taught a class on it a few years back :)

gotoseagrl 06-13-2014 10:55 PM

The Secret Garden

Happy_Go_Lucky 06-14-2014 03:54 AM

http://pixhst.com/avaxhome/4e/63/0026634e_medium.jpeg

BestButchBoy 06-14-2014 06:42 AM

"Uganda Be Kidding Me" - Chelsea Handler

bright_arrow 06-14-2014 03:05 PM

I'm about 80% through Dean Kootz "I.P.O' on my Kindle, an early birthday gift from a friend

Talon 06-19-2014 05:10 PM

A biography...

Streisand--Her life
by James Spada

I love this book...she has always been such an inspiration to me.

Cole 06-19-2014 05:33 PM

Hard wiring Happiness

Also editing/proofing a friend's book.

puddin' 06-20-2014 03:21 PM

jus' finished "police", by jo nesbo

am now re-readin' "i know why the caged bird sings", by maya angelou