Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Fluffy Stuff: Flirting, Humor, Chat (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   What are you reading? (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1589)

Cowboi 01-17-2010 09:07 PM

Just finished Code Blue, A Katrina Physicians Memoir
By Richard E Deichman MD

Rufusboi 01-17-2010 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robbrt (Post 33473)
A Raisin In The Sun

and about 6 textbooks from my spring courses :|

Love that play but always wish more had been done with Berneatha. I wonder if she made it to med school.

Rufusboi 01-17-2010 09:25 PM

Reading Heart of Darkness. I haven't read it in 20 years so its like reading it for the first time again. Not as interesting as I thought I remembered though.

Rufus

Isadora 01-17-2010 11:05 PM

Are You There, Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea by Chelsea Handler

Irreverent
Silly
Dirty
and completely non essential....
sometimes you need a good trashy fun airport novel...

Rook 01-17-2010 11:14 PM

Stephen King's Desperation & Under the Dome
:tiredcomputer:

Bob 01-19-2010 08:38 AM

Coroner's Reports: 1896-1935, Monroe County, Indiana

http://www.monroe.lib.in.us/indiana_room/coroner.pdf

So many sparse stark stories:

08/15/1932 COX, Willis H. 83, 5'11"/200 Suicide by drinking carboric acid. He became furious with his daughter-in-law Arizona Cox, and they had a quarrel. After the quarrel, he went to his room and swallowed the poison.// Nothing of value

Semantics 01-19-2010 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 36123)
Coroner's Reports: 1896-1935, Monroe County, Indiana

http://www.monroe.lib.in.us/indiana_room/coroner.pdf

So many sparse stark stories:

08/15/1932 COX, Willis H. 83, 5'11"/200 Suicide by drinking carboric acid. He became furious with his daughter-in-law Arizona Cox, and they had a quarrel. After the quarrel, he went to his room and swallowed the poison.// Nothing of value

There I was wasting away at PerezHilton when I could have been reading coroner's reports.

Quote:

05/29/1906 BUTCHER, John O 24 5'8"/150 Was examining stone for dogs when the stone came together catching his head and
accidentally fracturing base of skull; death resulting immediately.//Nothing of any value
I wonder what that means? :confused:

Softly 01-19-2010 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rook (Post 35525)
Stephen King's Desperation & Under the Dome
:tiredcomputer:

Desperation is one of my favorite SK books
:popcorn:

Sachita 01-19-2010 11:32 AM

I wanted a Kindle sooooo bad. :( I didn't get one but I have a mini laptop and downloaded Kindle for PC. I LOVE it because I can get books instantly and adjust the font size HUGE making it so much easier for me to read. I still want a Kindle.

so I'm reading a lot these days.

I am now reading Debbie Fords "21 Day Conscious Cleanse" excellent book. I've been having a really tough time the past few months and this is really helping me a lot.

another I'm also reading now is Living in Costa Rica. I want to figure out a way to live part of the year here and part there. I dream about Costa Rica all the time. It keeps calling me.

Ryobi 01-19-2010 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rufusboi (Post 35481)
Reading Heart of Darkness. I haven't read it in 20 years so its like reading it for the first time again. Not as interesting as I thought I remembered though.

Rufus

I have that book. I've read it a couple times, and I feel the same way. It was different at 17 than it is at 37.

Have you seen the movie? "Apocalypse Now". I think it's the movie that has changed the book for me.

And now 'The End' by The Doors is stuck in my head! LOL.

I'm reading over my instructors manual for, Adult, child, and infant first aid, CPR and AED, for a class I have to teach in a couple weeks. Helps to brush up and keep my times in check.

Rufusboi 01-19-2010 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryobi (Post 36267)
I have that book. I've read it a couple times, and I feel the same way. It was different at 17 than it is at 37.

Have you seen the movie? "Apocalypse Now". I think it's the movie that has changed the book for me.

I'm reading over my instructors manual for, Adult, child, and infant first aid, CPR and AED, for a class I have to teach in a couple weeks. Helps to brush up and keep my times in check.

I haven't seen that film, but need to/want to. I forgot how heavy handed the symbolism is in Heart of Darkness. A very dark book but very true. I realized that it still remains popular because we can apply this book and its themes to a lot of what happens today.

I've got the two women knitting with black wool stuck in my head and keep thinking about hounds of hell and gatekeepers of hell. This image is getting mixed up with images from Paradise Lost and the woman/dog hounds of hell stuff that Milton used. Urgh no wonder I didn't sleep well last night. I've got Kurtz, hounds of hell and black wool running round in my head. So remind me what's so uplifting about reading again :)

Rufus

daisygrrl 01-19-2010 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryobi (Post 36267)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rufusboi (Post 36295)
I haven't seen that film, but need to/want to. I forgot how heavy handed the symbolism is in Heart of Darkness. A very dark book but very true. I realized that it still remains popular because we can apply this book and its themes to a lot of what happens today.

I feel the same as Ryobi--Apocalypse Now helped change how I viewed Heart of Darkness. Conrad's novella is, like Rufus says, pretty heavy handed with the symbolism; the film helped me put all that abstractness into more "real" terms ("The Horror!").

And, if you ever get the chance to see it, I encourage you to watch the mini-documentary by Francis Ford Coppola (and his Ex-wife Eleanor) that they made during the turbulent filming. Between mortgaging everything they owned to make the film, numerous health crises (Sheen almost had a heart attack), a typhoon, and difficulties with Brando, doubled filming time (and six hours of tape to edit)--the film truly was a labor of love.

The new editions of the film probably (and if it doesn't, it should) include the documentary :)

SassyLeo 01-19-2010 03:38 PM

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Crooked-Little-Heart-Anne-Lamott/dp/0385491808"]Crooked Little Heart[/ame] by Anne Lamott

I love [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Anne-Lamott/e/B000APMU80/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_pop_1"]Anne's books[/ame].

This one is taking some time to get into...and I'm not sure if it is the story or my mood :)

I also LOVE Operating Instructions, Traveling Mercies and Blue Shoe (the latter 2 rival for #1 :))

I've got Joe Jones next.

daisygrrl 01-25-2010 05:54 AM

selections from Lucy Grealy's Autobiography of a Face--an excellent read & really wonderful to discuss with others

Alice Walker's “Beauty: When the Other Dancer is the Self”--a lovely short piece where Walker discusses her childhood trauma and how it shaped her identity

Random 01-25-2010 10:43 AM

I am franticly re-reading The Data Valentine stories..

I'm on the last book... To Hell and Back..

Inuus 01-25-2010 10:56 AM

Homer's Odyssey By Gwen Cooper

Very good book about a woman who rescued a blind kitten and her life with him. I was totally moved by this book..truly heartwarming story

More info here
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Homers-Odyssey-Gwen-Cooper/dp/038534385X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1264438382&sr=1-1"]Amazon.com: Homer's Odyssey (9780385343855): Gwen Cooper: Books[/ame]

Well worth reading for cat and animal lovers

Random 01-25-2010 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ms Cyn (Post 38955)
I am franticly re-reading The Data Valentine stories..

I'm on the last book... To Hell and Back..

Let's make that the Dante Valentine..

BestButchBoy 01-30-2010 05:35 AM

The Franchise Babe-Dan Jenkins

Dean Thoreau 01-30-2010 12:46 PM

My book club decided they finally wanted to read "The help" so I am re-reading...which i don't mind a bit since it is a wonderful book...and well worth several re-reads.

The sisterhood of Blackberry Corner by Andrea Smith is wonderful ...light reading, pleasurable,,make you smile,,make u giggle, make you get a tissue....

Farewell to Alms by Gregory Clark, nonfiction, Wonderful easy to read economic history of the world...not dry but not another "Freakanomics" It is better and gives you a comfortable understanding why things that r happening are happening.

Re-Reading Idiot America - How stupidity became a Virtue in the land of the free by Charles Pierce... with all the hate mongering and ignorance being spewed these days it is worth re-reading.....i wold recommend to anyone trying to understand all the current churning of the hate in america directed at everyone and everything that is not just what conservative elitists desire.

So that is it for the weekend, my book budget is expired until monday....so i shall probably find 3 or 4 other things on the gutenberg project to download and read....free books there!

WolfyOne 01-30-2010 01:25 PM

I just finished Sue Grafton's ..... U is for Undertow and have started Lisa Gardner's new one, The Neighbor.