Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hobbies, Crafts, Interests (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   BOOKS~BOOKS~BOOKS!!! (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=516)

Duchess 12-29-2009 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hippieflowergirl (Post 25840)
have you seen The Te of Piglet Duchess? it's also quite good.

i'm currently re-reading The Language Instinct by Steven Pinker. given the lively debate in another thread i'd recently participated in i decided i needed a refresher in the ways the human brain creates and perceives language and meaning.

:reader:

I found The Te of Piglet quite fascinating and I especially appreciate Hoff's use of the Pooh characters. The Language Instinct sounds like a must read. Thanks for sharing.

Duchess

Darth Denkay 12-30-2009 04:44 PM

Okay, so this book is freaking amazing and we all need to read it. Can I ask what it's about???

And thanks for the offer of the book. I'll let you know after I finish this one.

Happy Reading!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Thoreau (Post 27266)
I had to write this.

I read approximately 20 books a week....it is rare that a book has such a profound effect/affect on me.

This book had me in tears before I even finished reading the Introduction
It had me angry by the second page, it had me and still has me held captive.

I had to stop reading this book to write this. i have written an email and sent it to about 100 different people already saying OMG you have to read this book.
I joined the Book of the month club just so I could order 4 copies of this book for a dollar so I can give them to people I pray will read it and not just read it but after having read it say....I am going to do something and do something now! And I pray not just stop with the words but invest time, money, what ever it takes...
Hopefully I have piqued your interest in "Half the Sky", and those that have already read it....omg....we need a thread just about "half the Sky" to talk.

dean thoreau

Half the Sky
by Sheryl WuDunn, Nicholas D. Kristof
it was published Sept 09...... I can not believe it took me this long to find it...u can get it at amazon for 1/2 price...(14.00) paperback will be out in May 2010..please do not wait that long to read it.....If you truly do not have the money to purchase it or a library you can borrow it from...PM me , i will be more than happy to make sure you get a copy u can pass to another after u have read it.

DapperButch 01-02-2010 11:48 AM

Currently reading, The Lesbian History Sourcebook: love and sex between women in Britain from 1780 to 1970, by Alison Oram and Annmarie Turnbull

and

Boots of Leather, Slippers of Gold, Elizabeth Lapovsky Kennedy and Madeline D. Davis.

The first I picked up for only $3.00 used and is good if you have an interest in the subject matter.

The second probably needs no description and is something I should have had on my shelf long ago!

Leigh 01-02-2010 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diva
Yes!!! Haven't been a fan of Anne Rice, but someone recently gave me The Beauty Series, so it's in my stack to read! Thank You, Miss Precious Thang! :bouquet::heartbeat:

Miss DIVAlicious, you will LOVE the Beauty series by Anne Rice! Its a delectibly delicious series, especially for painslut such as yourself :devil:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Semantics
Under the Dome by Stephen King was also good and the first of his books that I've liked in years. It's about a town in Maine that is suddenly cut off from the rest of the world by a mysterious, impenetrable dome. The ending was almost lame but somehow managed to work. :lol2:

I know someone who is currently reading that same Stephen King book and says its good too, so I might borrow it at some point to read it Myself :thumbsup:

JakeTulane 01-02-2010 03:24 PM

I just finished "The Art of Racing in the Rain" by Garth Stein. Absolutely recommend it. I have now ordered his other novel "How Evan Broke His Head and other Secrets.".... The author also has another novel coming out in March of 2010 which I will surely purchase as well.

I have now vowed to get through the Lord of the Rings books and all of the Harry Potter's. I have seen all the films and loved them. So now I am starting The Hobbit and Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.

Diva 01-02-2010 06:48 PM

I have read the first 6 Harry Potter books....they mesmerize me! I'm behind, I realize.....

I received "The Last Lecture" from my Sissy.....it's by Randy Pausch....perhaps You have heard of him. This is the Carnegie Mellon computer science professor who was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. I have not finished this book, but so far it is an easy read and very powerful and profound. It's a good book to read when You (read: "I"!!!) think things are just horrible in Your [my] life. Half~way through, I have been moved to tears several times.

I also received "Pride & Prejudice & Zombies".... THAT should be interesting! <giggle>........and "The Lost Continent: Travels in small-town America" by Bill Bryson (did I mention this already? Or am I having a severe deja vu?).....at first, I thought the giver had already read it, as it had a coffee ring stain on the cover....then I realized it was part of the artwork! <giggling>

Additionally...but perhaps won't be of much interested here...CydKitty gave me (be still my heart!) "The Culinary Institute of America's Baking At Home"...........<sigh> In case You hadn't picked up on it, I adore baking! :D

I'll be immersed shortly!!

JakeTulane 01-15-2010 05:48 AM

(Snip) from Diva

I have read the first 6 Harry Potter books....they mesmerize me! I'm behind, I realize.....

I am there as well. I am still on the first book and just purchased the next two. My niece and nephew always told Me to read them because I enjoyed the movies. However, I found them daunting thinking they would just ramble on. Quite the contrary.

I am also reading a Garth Stein novel (My latest favorite author)..."How Evan Broke His Head and Other Secrets". I received The Art of Racing in the Rain for Christmas and could not put it down. I am thinking this next novel is going to be just as good.

WolfyOne 01-15-2010 11:28 AM

I just got Sue Grafton's new book in the mail from my book club. I'm looking forward to reading it, she's up to U now.

apretty 01-15-2010 11:42 AM

it's a page-turner!

essen of human Anat & Phys (10th ed)

WolfyOne 01-22-2010 04:46 PM

I found a wonderful site today while reading the Motley Fool, it's called paperbackswap.com and they swap more than just paperbacks. I saw hardback,audio, textbooks, etc. For those that read a lot and don't want the expense of buying new, check it out. Looks to me like all it'll cost you is postage to keep swaping.

JakeTulane 02-02-2010 06:44 PM

Still working on the Harry Potter series .. .and wanting to start My second Garth Stein novel. All the while perusing Kenneth Cole's Awearness read.. and then picked up two from the library today... Sweet Waters by Julie Carobini and The Land of Green Plums Herta Muller (translated from German).

Jeep 02-11-2010 08:13 AM

I read whenever I can, which hasn't been very often lately..
Stephen King. My all-time favorite is Christine, but I am working on collecting all his books.
Read the Harry Potter series, kept me entertained, but I don't think I'd ever read them again.
Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child have written some pretty interesting books. Unusual, but interesting.

Semantics 02-11-2010 10:13 AM

I'm reading Ara Wilson's Intimate Economies of Bangkok: Tomboys, Tycoons, and Avon Ladies in the Global City.

Harry Potter :stillheart:

Soon 02-15-2010 11:56 PM

I haven't ordered it yet but...

...some of you may be interested in this new book -- her name is Robin Sneed and you can find some of her writings on the Open Salon forum.

From what I read of her posts, it might be something to look into. I plan on it. (I don't know her!)

Here's the link to the book, but I would suggest reading her writings on OS first--she's good and gets some of us I think.

Flowergirls: A Mirroir

blush 02-16-2010 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diva (Post 29698)

I received "The Last Lecture" from my Sissy.....it's by Randy Pausch....perhaps You have heard of him. This is the Carnegie Mellon computer science professor who was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. I have not finished this book, but so far it is an easy read and very powerful and profound. It's a good book to read when You (read: "I"!!!) think things are just horrible in Your [my] life. Half~way through, I have been moved to tears several times.

If you haven't already, youtube the actual lecture! I love the back story on that book.

Medusa 02-16-2010 01:03 AM

Right now I'm reading:

* Devil in the Details: Scenes from an Obsessive Girlhood by Jennifer Traig

* 18 Rules of Community Engagement: A Guide for Building Relationships by Angela Connor

* The Last Ship - Willam Brinkley

Mitmo01 02-16-2010 08:17 AM

Heretics of Dune---very good

Bob 02-16-2010 09:06 AM

Just got done with Stephen King's new one, Under the Dome. Entertaining, I suppose, but he did the whole apocalyptic thing much better in The Stand, without the need for the eponymous hackneyed plot device.

Now: Imperial, by William T. Vollman. About Imperial County, CA and it's history of migrant workers/agriculture. Immigration. Water rights. How the American dream plays out in Mexico. Valid criticism: long on passion/personal details, short on facts/research. Fascinating nonetheless.

Up Next: American Fantastic Tales: Terror and the Uncanny from the 1940s to Now (Peter Straub, ed.)

Queerasfck 02-16-2010 09:29 AM

Special Christmas edition.

Penthouse December 1970 edition, including articles on the shocking history of gin, an interview with David Frost and an appraisal of Kinsey's work !!!
I picked up this gem at the thriftstore for $5 bucks.

miss entycing 02-16-2010 03:29 PM

great thread!

Just finished Book Of The Dead by Patricia Cornwell... it was really good, will be starting Scarpetta next!
Anyone else a fan? I've all of her Scarpetta books, and recently lost an ebay bid for an autographed copy of one of her hardbacks.. I was NOT happy:furious: