Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   Celebrity, Music, Television, Internet Culture (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Pariah the Movie (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4389)

lettertodaddy 12-29-2011 12:28 AM

Pariah the Movie

Has anyone seen this? It was released today (December 28) in NY, SF, LA, and DC. It's coming to Seattle in early January, and a few other cities as well. I'm thinking of driving across the border for it.

Synopsis:
Adepero Oduye, who had earlier starred in the short film, portrays Alike (pronounced ah-lee-kay), a 17-year-old African-American woman who lives with her parents Audrey and Arthur (Kim Wayans and Charles Parnell) and younger sister Sharonda (Sahra Mellesse) in Brooklyn’s Fort Greene neighborhood. She has a flair for poetry, and is a good student at her local high school. Alike is quietly but firmly embracing her identity as a lesbian. With the sometimes boisterous support of her best friend, out lesbian Laura (Pernell Walker), Alike is especially eager to find a girlfriend. At home, her parents’ marriage is strained and there is further tension in the household whenever Alike’s development becomes a topic of discussion. Pressed by her mother into making the acquaintance of a colleague’s daughter, Bina (Aasha Davis), Alike finds Bina to be unexpectedly refreshing to socialize with. Wondering how much she can confide in her family, Alike strives to get through adolescence with grace, humor, and tenacity – sometimes succeeding, sometimes not, but always moving forward.

Scuba 12-29-2011 12:32 AM

Cool!! I'm all about seeing this. Give me a shout if you decide to come this way and I head on in :)

lettertodaddy 12-29-2011 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scubadyke (Post 494068)
Cool!! I'm all about seeing this. Give me a shout if you decide to come this way and I head on in :)

I'd made plans to go snowshoeing that same weekend, but it's rare that a movie with a black lesbian protagonist is released, so I really want to make the effort to see it, even if it means driving 6 hours round trip just to see it.

nowandthen 12-29-2011 12:45 AM

Great film

Just got back from the SF showing, It was better than I expected, every part was written well, you laugh, cry and relate

nycbutch 12-29-2011 01:21 AM

hoping to go see it in NYC this w/e...getting great reviews!!!

SoNotHer 12-29-2011 01:46 AM

I've posted about it in the cinephiles thread. I can't wait to see it. Thank you for starting a thread about it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lettertodaddy (Post 494065)
Has anyone seen this? It was released today (December 28) in NY, SF, LA, and DC. It's coming to Seattle in early January, and a few other cities as well. I'm thinking of driving across the border for it.

Synopsis:
Adepero Oduye, who had earlier starred in the short film, portrays Alike (pronounced ah-lee-kay), a 17-year-old African-American woman who lives with her parents Audrey and Arthur (Kim Wayans and Charles Parnell) and younger sister Sharonda (Sahra Mellesse) in Brooklyn’s Fort Greene neighborhood. She has a flair for poetry, and is a good student at her local high school. Alike is quietly but firmly embracing her identity as a lesbian. With the sometimes boisterous support of her best friend, out lesbian Laura (Pernell Walker), Alike is especially eager to find a girlfriend. At home, her parents’ marriage is strained and there is further tension in the household whenever Alike’s development becomes a topic of discussion. Pressed by her mother into making the acquaintance of a colleague’s daughter, Bina (Aasha Davis), Alike finds Bina to be unexpectedly refreshing to socialize with. Wondering how much she can confide in her family, Alike strives to get through adolescence with grace, humor, and tenacity – sometimes succeeding, sometimes not, but always moving forward.

Admin 12-29-2011 06:24 AM

This looks amazing!
I doubt they'll be showing it here in any of our theatres for a while, it takes several months sometimes for us to get any of the indie-type films.
I'll definitely be waiting to see this one!

dykeumentary 12-29-2011 08:07 AM

In December this film was won the Independent Spirit award in NYC, and the filmmakers held several events in the build-up to the release. i attended a workshop evening that the NY Women in Television and Film held at Eastman Kodak (Kodak had donated some film stock - yes it was shot of film!). The producer and director and some cast members talked about the process of making "Pariah" and showed some of the film. It was informative and really exciting for me - i even took notes for the first time since high school! I appreciated that they took the time to have this event for women -- the film had just been picked up for distribution, and they were very, very busy.

It also fair to mention that the lead actor, while giving an award-winning performance, is straight. So this film is ground-breaking in so many aspects, but not the one where straight people play non-straight roles.

I am happy for this film because it was a looong processs and ultimately successful for a woman producer and woman director. I don't know of another example of a widely released film that has that. I am also happy for this film, and for the film-going audiences, and for myself as a woman visual artist, that a GOOD, independently made film is getting seen.

Scuba 12-29-2011 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lettertodaddy (Post 494070)
I'd made plans to go snowshoeing that same weekend, but it's rare that a movie with a black lesbian protagonist is released, so I really want to make the effort to see it, even if it means driving 6 hours round trip just to see it.

The release date for Seattle is Jan. 6th at the Landmark Theater but it does not indicate a time. I can make it if it's an 8pm or later showing.

Cheers!

starryeyes 12-29-2011 09:20 AM

We have a few landmark theaters in San Diego. Looking forward to seeing it!! Last lesbian themed movie I saw there was "Circumstance". It was very moving.

Greyson 12-29-2011 10:27 AM

Ann Bradley Lesbian Activist

I have not seen it yet and I will see it. I would like to mention the producer of this film, Ann Bradley. Ann is a femme lesbian activist in Los Angeles that has done many many things for the LGBTQ community through out the past 30 something years. She is also a avid Animal Rights activist. She is also a white lesbian that has promoted the POC LGBTQ community in all things even before it became P.C.

Her many years of experience as an activist, Public Relations professional and personal financing helped bring this film to the attention of the public. She does not know I am posting this. She is low key about much of her work. I am posting this because there are many that have devoted much of their lives to moving this community forward.

I have also been the benefactor of Ann's kindness and support in my earlier years. She saw something in me when I was a very young baby butch that I could not see in myself. Thank you Ann and for the many many others that are mentors, activists and members of the community.

Novelafemme 12-29-2011 10:38 AM

This film looks amazing! It's on my list of must see movies of 2012!

Scuba 01-02-2012 09:47 PM

The Seattle Landmark Theater is awaiting final go ahead for this movie. They will be posting show times either Tuesday or Wednesday....just an FYI :)

Cheers,

Scoobs

nycbutch 01-02-2012 09:56 PM

saw this movie in NYC this past Friday. Cannot say it enough....excellent, excellent movie! Very well done and great acting all around! Highly recommend it to everyone!

o222Good 01-16-2012 11:58 PM

This is a great movie! A must see.
Favorite line: "I like girls... but I love bois!"
I smiled with tears at the Butch buds, and I
laughed with tears at the 2by4!
The writing is so excellent, and the acting is too!

Queerasfck 01-27-2012 03:51 PM

We saw it about two weeks ago and now it's gone..........

It was a good flick about finding yourself.

SUPPORT QUEER FILMS!

CherylNYC 01-27-2012 04:01 PM

It's still showing here in NYC at the Landmark. I joined a group of friends and saw it over the weekend. It was wonderful.

Sachita 01-27-2012 05:12 PM

Its not playing anywhere around here. :( looks good. I would have drove to DC and seen it if it was still playing. Guess we have to wait for the DVD

MsMerrick 01-27-2012 05:15 PM

I went to see it New Years Day, seemed like an excellent way to start the new Year. Oh and.. I Loved it !!!!!

dykeumentary 02-23-2012 01:11 PM

I thought it was very good.
And also thought there is room for improvement. Let's hope that this is the ice-breaker that ushers in a golden age of non-heterocentric film. Our stories belong up there on the screen, let's make films and support filmmakers. :wine: