Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   Romance (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=127)
-   -   Taking a Risk to Visit Someone You Met Online (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7434)

anaisninja 05-12-2014 04:42 PM

Taking a Risk to Visit Someone You Met Online

From another thread:
Quote:

Originally Posted by anaisninja (Post 906916)
I'm flying to another state to meet my crush next week. I'm scared to death but what's the point of living if we don't risk it all for love.

Well I just got back from my trip last night. It didn't work out and I'm confused and hurt about it. It will take at least a week to process everything. Good thing I had a therapy appointment scheduled today.

I am mostly just posting this here for some good old fashioned sympathy.

It's amazing... things can be so great online, and then in person... not so much. Very sad, disappointed, frustrated, and angry. Blah...

I need a hug.

anaisninja 05-12-2014 04:43 PM

I am glad I went, in the sense that, at least I found out sooner rather than later. It still fucking sucks though.

TruTexan 05-12-2014 04:51 PM

Talking online to someone and even on the telephone or skype still isn't like the real thing and the reality doesn't set in to know them in real time until you meet them and see if you still have that chemistry going. I'm sorry it didn't work out for you , I wish you the best life has to offer. Remember, there are more fish in the sea, just keep an eye out you might find a real catch that the chemistry is really there between you two. Good luck in that regard, and Godspeed in your healing of your disappointment. Keep your head up and keep going forward, you'll feel better soon.

Happyfemme 05-12-2014 05:03 PM

It sounds like a very difficult situation. I'm glad you had someone to process with today. It's good that you realized quickly that it wasn't going to work well for you.

Duchess 05-12-2014 05:30 PM

anaisninja, I really feel for you. However, I'm happy for you that you actually met your friend. Now you know not to waste anymore of your time. Talking online and on the phone leaves much for the imagination. It's easy to make people and circumstances better than what they really are.

You're such a brave soul. Enlightenment is truly a gift.:rrose:

Duchess

bokster 05-12-2014 05:39 PM

Hi Anaisninja,

The important thing is that you had the courage to take that risk to find out for yourself. And the courage and grace to acknowledge and express the outcome.

For every "No" that we experience, there's bound to be a "Yes" that will happen someday.

I wish you a pleasant evening. :)

Duchess 05-12-2014 05:43 PM

anaisninja, please don't let this experience discourage you. There are many wonderful people on and off the net. You're taking a chance no matter how you meet. Big hugs to you sweetness.

Duchess

*Anya* 05-12-2014 07:19 PM

I am sorry it did not work out for you.

I think it is always worth risking your heart on love-regardless if around the corner or another state.

(((Big hug))).

:rrose:

candy_coated_bitch 05-12-2014 07:36 PM

I am also sorry you had a bad experience. Sometimes things online just don't translate into real time. I've been there. I feel you on the disappointment. I've also had some wonderful experiences with those I've met online. I think it's always worth it to take the chance! Thank goodness you know now and don't have to invest any more time.

I hope you try again. *hugs to you*

Bard 05-12-2014 07:37 PM

actually I met my wife online and when we met in person well it was amazing or rather she is

BrutalDaddy 05-12-2014 07:56 PM

Over the years, I've met a couple folks from online. Like you, didn't end well at all but it was a risk I took and in the end I was glad I did before the "fantasy" took over any sense of reality.

Then I saw a funny signature line on someone's profile that made me laugh on the old site and since I was having a really, really shitty day, I pmed her to thank her for the laugh cause I needed it.

She answered back.

Next year will mark ten years that we've been together.

Neither of us was looking for love or romance at ALL. We just got really lucky that we connected like we did. After all these years, she is seriously my best friend as well as my wife.

It can hurt like hell to have a crush then meet them and realize the fantasy doesn't match up with reality. So am sorry you had to experience that. Just know you're not alone in that regard. Tons of folks have that experience.

Just don't let it get you too down and know that they say there is someone for everyone out there.

Good luck to ya,
Brute.

SirenManda 05-12-2014 07:57 PM

I actually met my husband online also. But I met a few mistakes before, and I've learned that can be part of the journey. Putting yourself out there and showing you have courage to get out of your comfort zone may be what helps attract your soul mate later in life. Every mistake is just a stepping stone towards your true love.

femmsational 05-12-2014 08:28 PM

I think you're very brave and lucky that you found out and acknowleged the reality as fast as you did.

I'm not so brave. I haven't ever connected with anyone from online. But for one exception.....I met my husband on another web site almost ten years ago. It was really scary cause I had never answered any pm before. But I couldn't get past his name. It sparked a serious interest. LOL

We lucked out cause we're still together and as Brute said below we really are best friends. We met online, talked online about two weeks, met in person and two months later were living together :| Which was absolutely ridiculous to me cause I'm one of those take my timers in relationships. But not this time.

If for some strange reason I wasn't with him anymore, I still wouldn't answer PM's from people I hadn't had any interaction with in a more public sphere. Like years worth of interaction. I just am too cynical I think.

I wish you luck in your quest. I also hope you are careful cause, like I said, for ME, meeting online people interested in a relationship is so risky it scares me.

take care,
julie

imperfect_cupcake 05-12-2014 08:52 PM

I've met oodles of people from on line. Forums and webdating. I've flown cross continent to a different country. They invited me, I had the time, so I went. A great deal of them were fun but nothing really gelled. That's OK.
I think keeping expectations within reality limits are pretty important.
It only took me one lesson to keep my expectations in check.

If you do decide to do it again, you will know how to stop your fantasies from getting away with your emotions until you meet.

After the first time I tried quite hard to keep a lid on any future planning if we had not met. I think that's pretty important.

But its like anything, you don't know unless you try. And then you learn.

anaisninja 05-12-2014 11:06 PM

Thanks everybody. It helps to know I'm not alone.

anaisninja 05-12-2014 11:12 PM

BrutalDyke and femmsational - I assume you two are a couple?

I'm glad it worked out for you.

Now please send me some of that magic good-lovin karma you obviously have in order to have made such a long-lasting match. Hand it over! ;)

Thanks again for your supportive words.

Contessa 05-13-2014 03:58 AM

Chemistry just cant be calculated until you actually meet in real life. I have met women on occasion, over the years..maybe once or twice a yr from online. It's best not to have expectations. Some may have motives you don't see coming as well! There are good eggs, bad eggs and there will be great chemistry and not so much..You just have to put yourself out there once in awhile and see how it goes for u both..

Daktari 05-13-2014 05:40 AM

Better to have taken the risk than to never know.

Just as it is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.

It's possible. I met my ex online. It lasted several years well 5...that's 10yrs in 'gay years' isn't it? ;)
Without the internet we would never have crossed paths.
Without taking the risk we would both have missed an incredibly powerful and beautiful experience.
We may not be together anymore but I give thanks to have had her in my life.

When the universe deems it right there will be someone for you.
Keep the faith :tinfoil:

Amber2010 05-13-2014 07:40 AM

I think our mind makes us see things in people more then what is really there. When we our talking online or text or cell heck even skype we see in our minds eye who that person is. Even in a virtual game when someone has an avatar and you spend a lot of time together that person is not the real one in person that you can see everything about them. I am not talking just the physical but the simple things like how they cook, what they eat, how they handle situations when you go out are they an angry driver or an angry drunk? Do they put the cap back on the toothpaste. Yes these sound like little tiny things but in the big picture the communication in the on-line chat brings your mind to a place you really never can in real. Our imaginations are so great and our thoughts and feelings of someone you have not met in person is even greater.
Again these are just my thoughts.

WildHorses 05-13-2014 08:54 AM

To me it is about taking a bit of time to ask questions and LISTEN to the answers. If they tell you about their day and mention running someone off the road then that would be a NO. If they got drunk and ended up in a fight or jail, NO.

If you take some time to talk about what they do during the day or night it may help to get a better picture of them. Do they like to go out and party? Do they like spending time with friends and family? When they talk about things do they seem positive and generally happy? What interests do you share and which ones do they have that you do not like?

I think talking about the simple things in life are just as important as anything else. You can learn about a person's background (what they tell you) but does that mean they are the same now? If they talk about daily interactions with people, listen. It might give you a clue as to how they treat people.

My .02