Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hobbies, Crafts, Interests (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Do you play a musical instrument? (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8702)

Orema 10-14-2018 06:26 AM

Do you play a musical instrument?

Would love to hear from any one who plays an instrument or may want to play one.

What instrument do you play or want to play?
How long have you played or been interested in playing?
What kind of music do you play or want to play?
Are you a novice, beginner, intermediate, or advanced player?
Do you play professionally or just for your own pleasure?
Do you like playing of others or do you only play in private?
What inspires or discourages you?
What are some of your favorite songs you play or want to learn to play?

Would love to hear from others.

Orema 10-14-2018 06:35 AM

Piano

I’m learning to play the piano.

I took lessons as a child and again as an adult, but I haven’t retained much. So it’s like starting all over again.

I’m using the Sudnow Method. I took lessons from David Sudnow in the early 80s in NYC and really enjoyed learning. He was a unique guy with a unique talent. His method is to play the piano without learning to read music.

I’ll try some other methods later, but will stick with this one for awhile as I tackle scales, chords, and basic theories.

Right now I’m practicing and relearning the scales. Things I learned previously are coming back, but my fingers fumble like a beginner. Though, I’m quite enjoying it and am not rushing through it.

One of the things I love about the Sudnow Method is I get to study the great jazz pianists and am encouraged to learn jazz standards.

The first song in the lessons to learn is Misty. I may start playing that in the next week or so with a goal to finish it in 3 to 6 months, but for now I’m focused on practicing my scales.

:bow:

Gráinne 10-14-2018 07:37 AM

I play organ, electric keyboard, and some piano.

I started with lessons at age 7 (so that's a long time!), but I don't play regularly. The beginning lessons consisted of six books, each more advanced than the other. After that, I continued lessons until I went to college 10 years later.

My favorites were blues and some of the then-new "pop" songs of the 1970's. I figured out the Beatles' "Let It Be" on my own. I also learned a lot of classical pieces, which helped a great deal in college when I took a music appreciation course. I already knew and appreciated the composers and pieces we studied.

When I was stressed out, I used to go to the music building, find an empty practice room with a piano, and just bang out all those songs I learned. It's still a stress reliever today. I don't like playing in front of people (I played for a church, which was nerve-wracking), but put on my earphones and I'm good to go.

Gemme 10-14-2018 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orema (Post 1227950)
Would love to hear from any one who plays an instrument or may want to play one.

Would love to hear from others.

I would love to play instruments but I am not musically inclined in the least. I played a recorder in middle school choir but that is it. I do have a ukulele but I haven't put any time into learning it.

I love the piano, so I think it's great that you are getting back into it. My fingers are super short. Not sure how I'd manage that but it would be great to learn. I have interest in the acoustic guitar and drums and if I could only play one, I'd choose the drums. Not as portable as most instruments but I love them.

A. Spectre 10-14-2018 07:58 AM

My mom, among her copious other accomplishments taught band and was in an all girl trio way back in the day. She knew every instrument and could master each and every one.

My siblings and I pale by comparison, but I played the trombone beginning in the 6th grade and was in concert, symphonic and marching band throughout school. I also played piano for numerous years. My mediocre talent brought first prize winnings at state and I was also first chair. The boys really really liked that. :)

Kätzchen 10-14-2018 09:36 AM

Piano

My mom took me to an private music teacher, for years, beginning at an early age. If memory serves me correctly, I think I was about the age of 9.

I studied classical composers and participated in seasonal recitals and also played in competitions sponsored by the greater Piano Guild Society, locally.

Favorite composers back then were Mozart, Chopin, Beethoven, Greig, Rachmaninov. Later, I began to study religious compositions and composers, but Classical composers are my favorite.

I rarely share about that part of my life with anyone who knows me here at home. In fact, last Thanksgiving, my bff-sil invited me to attend their giant family gathering for the traditional Thanksgiving supper, which because their extended family is so large and attended by family members from out of state, they rented an location at an church, out in the west hills, near Lake Oswego. There was no background music, but there was an piano in the corner of the dining room of the gathering. So I sat down to the piano and opened the churches hymnal and began to randomly play pieces of music from the hymnal. Some of the pieces were so familiar to me that I began to improvise on certain pieces and to the surprise of everyone, they enjoyed an appreciated the music I provided for entertainment at their family function.

I rarely tell anyone about my ability to read and write music or my talent to play written music or compose my own because when I was young, it was my refuge, my place of inner peace, my own private world to help process the wrongs done unto me, which provided for my own Balm of Gilead.

I love to play the piano.

I would love to learn how to play the guitar, better than I can (I've had some informal lessons by friends here at home).

I'd love to own an Martin guitar, or an beautiful Mandolin.

I have an couple favorite songs I love to play, including Moonlight Sonata and Nadia's Song...but my favorite thing to do it take unusual pieces and marry them together into an arrangement that is simultaneously compelling and is capable of invoking memories of times people might dial into, readily.

Chained Daisy 10-14-2018 10:48 AM

Nope not able to play any instrument, full admiration to those who can, it must be a wonderful past time. I have never been musical enough to even consider learning though if I ever did I have always had a great love of hand bells {a little unusual I know !}

I hope you don`t mind Orema if I include a video of one of my favorite pieces for anyone unfamiliar with this musical genre, quite magical....

Ender 10-14-2018 11:59 AM

I play the piano, violin and a little guitar

I've played the piano for about 7 years; the violin for about the same (7 years); and the guitar for 1-2 years.

I mostly play classic stuff, I'd like to play more country songs, but I can never find the right sheet music.

I'd consider myself an intermediate player in the piano and violin; a beginner in the guitar.

Just for my own pleasure.

I like to play in private.

I'd like to learn to play some more country songs.

homoe 10-14-2018 02:34 PM

I wish!

My father could play guitar, banjo, violin, and piano! All self-taught never had a musical lesson his whole life!

Vincent 10-14-2018 02:55 PM

I play a little piano,guitar and harmonica

For me I have been singing in bands since I was 19 and pretty much my last band was in my 50's,but never learnt an instrument till i was 52.
I guess I was lucky in that my body was my instrument,but truth is I never thought I was smart enough to learn an instument.

I started playing harmonica,with the last band,which really was more of a clollective,with different members changing instuments,and 4 or 5 different singers,I just started playing in the background,although I cant play blues harp at all.....
Then I got a piano and went through lots of teachers,mainly trying to avoid learning properly and being arrogant.
then I got sick and could no longer sit at the piano,I got a guitar dec 26 2017,im now having lessons from a pretty renowkned rock guitarist,with a classical background,he trained at Berkley,which is unusual fo OZ

For me acoustic music,more James Taylor,but thats pretty high reaching

Thats hard,musically ive played lots,but instrumentaly,beginner-intermediate.

I would say both,I play guitar everyday but I got asked to perform last week,"sing"
Have I ever made money,well no
money has never been my motivation,i just love music

I love playing with others,as you really learn a lot and I just love talking about music and its so much fun,I actually never could do Kareoke,I just felt so lonely on stage by myself
I find that since learning an instrument I hear music differently.

right now
Damian Rice-delicate
the stones-Dead Flowers

Esme nha Maire 10-14-2018 04:33 PM

I can play simple bass lines on electric bass guitar. Can also play kazoo (grin). I'd love to learn to play keyboards and drums. I played a recorder (badly) in junior school, but if I were to have a go at a wind instrument now, I'd want to try clarinet or saxophone.

In my teens, I wished I could be a musician and be in a band, and tried writing songs. Someone bought me an acoustic guitar, and I learnt to pick out basic melody lines on that. I couldn't handle playing chords. I couldn't read music and wanted some way to record tunes I composed myself, and didn't know there were any other music notation systems, and so ended up re-inventing tablature.

In my early twenties, I bought myself an electric guitar, and only then did I discover that there are two types of electric guitar, and I should've bought the other kind, ie: a bass. So I proceeded to pick out bass lines on my lead guitar (a lovely Shergold Meteor which I wish I still had). I also learned to pick out melody lines on a Casio VL-tone, a battery-powered monotonic keyboard.

In my thirties, I discovered the joys of using music trackers, a type of music composition program, on the Amiga, and put out an EP on floppy disk with a mix of covers and original compositions (the originals all related to being lesbian in various ways), with no vocals, but the lyrics were included as text files accompanying each track. A couple of dozen people purchased copies of the floppy disk from the Public Domain software company I placed the EP with.

When I got made redundant at the age of 59, I treated myself to an electric bass guitar.

Mostly rock (gothy, new-wavish) and jazz, maybe a little folk and classical.

I'm a lifelong novice!

I wish! For my own pleasure. I suspect most people would pay me to stop playing, if anything!

Do you like playing for others or do you only play in private?
I have performed as singer and lead kazooist in a "band" that won a "silly talent" contest in a social group when I was quite young. All we had were kazoos for instruments and boxes for percussion. We won, and got asked to do two follow-up gigs. Some folk are gluttons for punishment! 8-} That was fun, but I mostly just play for myself on my bass, often playing along with music I have playing.

I just like music.

What are some of your favorite songs you play or want to learn to play? On bass, absolutely anything - on a good day when I'm not hitting many bum notes, I just lose myself in playing whatever I'm playing. On keyboards, I'd love to learn to play "Tocatta and Fuge in D Minor" by Bach. I attempted a version of it on the VL-tone, playing two-fingered.

Vincent 10-14-2018 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homoe (Post 1227988)
I wish!

My father could play guitar, banjo, violin, and piano! All self-taught never had a musical lesson his whole life!

wow
totally awesome,i love folks like that

sadly im not one lol

cathexis 11-19-2019 04:18 AM

Play some African and South American percussion. Learned to play the bongos when I was 10, to the dismay of my mother. Began playing the congas and djembe in the early '80s, but unfortunately my drums are no longer with me.
Plan to take up the Tabla in the coming Spring. Will probably be able to buy one and find a master drummer to teach me. I understand it is difficult to learn even if one has percussion experience.

Blade 11-27-2019 01:47 PM

Yes
Tiny bit of Saxophone and tiny bit of Clarinet.
Most all brass instruments..trumpet, French horn, tuba, baritone, sousaphone, again anything brass

~ocean 11-27-2019 07:37 PM

I used to play the conga ~ it's in the attic collecting dust :(

Blade 01-30-2021 03:04 AM

Is the radio considered an instrument? I know some of the junk coming out of it doesn't seem musical