Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Fluffy Stuff: Flirting, Humor, Chat (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   What are you reading? (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1589)

Fancy 07-06-2010 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALovelyKiss (Post 129324)
Bernard, Ted. (2010). Hope and Hard Times: Communities, Collaboration and Sustainability. Gabriola Island, BC, Canada: New Society Publishers.

I've read the reviews and this looks like a great read. What do you think so far?

dreadgeek 07-06-2010 02:56 PM

I usually have a few physical (well now Kindle) books and a couple of audio books going at any given time. This is what I currently have going:

Moving to Higher Ground: How Jazz Can Change Your Life (Wynton Marsalis)

Justice: What's the Right Thing to Do (Michael J. Sandel)

The Theory of the Leisure Class (Thornstein Veblen)

The Heart of Valor (Tanya Huff)

Currently listening to:

The Closing of the American Mind (Alan Bloom)

The Trouble with Physics: The Rise of String Theory, the Fall of a Science and What Comes Next (Lee Smolin)

The Diamond Age (Neal Stephenson)

Next on my reading list are:

Freefall: America, Free Markets and the Sinking of the World Economy (Joseph Stiglitz)

Anna Karenina - Leo Tolstoy

Liars for Jesus: The Religious Right's Alternate Version of American History Vol. 1 (Chris Rodda)

I just finished up:

The Science of Liberty: Democracy, Reason and the Laws of Nature (Timothy Ferris)

God is Not One: The Eight Rival Religions that Run the World and Why Their Differences Matter (Stephen Prothero)

Cheers
Aj

afixer 07-06-2010 05:41 PM

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Help-Kathryn-Stockett/dp/0399155341/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_1"]The Help - Kathryn Stockett[/ame]

Pretty Woman 07-06-2010 06:48 PM

I read The Help a few months ago. Pleasantly surprised that it wasn't so predictable. Would be interested in your take, afixer.

Now I'm reading My Antonia by Willa Cather and Dark Places by Gillian Flynn

cane 07-06-2010 11:02 PM

Currently reading:

-Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh
-Poetry 1945-2002 by Wislawa Szymborska
-Les Liaisons Dangereuses by Pierre-Ambroise-Francois Choderlos de Laclos

afixer 07-08-2010 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pretty Woman (Post 146631)
I read The Help a few months ago. Pleasantly surprised that it wasn't so predictable. Would be interested in your take, afixer.

just finished it up last night at work and I enjoyed it.
interesting story lines and a good first novel for southern writer Stockett.
I don't do much fiction really but when I do I tend to lean towards a southern writer and theme.

Semantics 07-08-2010 07:36 AM

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins.

Think Running Man for teenagers.

afixer 07-08-2010 07:36 AM

a couple dozen old Look Magazines a friend picked up for me months ago.

GoofyLuvr 07-08-2010 11:03 AM

"The Well of Ascension" by Brandon Sanderson

Darth Denkay 07-08-2010 07:38 PM

Water for elephants, by Sara Gruen

My girlfriend loved it! I haven't gotten terribly far into it but so far it's good. Takes place in a traveling circus and seems to revolve around an ill-fated love affair and the human-animal bond (just to clarify, the ill-fated love affair was NOT between a human and an animal :|

dark_crystal 07-08-2010 07:45 PM

i just finished The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and now i am reading...whatever the latest House of Night book is

Duchess 07-08-2010 07:49 PM

Spontaneous Healing by Dr. Andrew Weil

leatherfaery 07-11-2010 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miss Scarlett (Post 144752)
I haven't read this one but I have read his first novel "The Black Dahlia". These two works are somewhat related in that the murder of his mother led to his interest in the Elizabeth Short murder. Have you read "The Black Dahlia"? I'd be interested in your comments on the relationship between the two books/murders.

I have not read "The Black Dahlia" by him but I am sure that I will want to after I finish reading My Dark Places. It has a lot of significance in this book. I am now curious about what perspective he writes from regarding that case.

Kätzchen 07-11-2010 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freckle-K (Post 146419)
I've read the reviews and this looks like a great read. What do you think so far?

Hi there! I just saw this tonight!

Well, the book itself showcases a series of miniature environmental case studies from different regions in the US.

The Bernard (2010) text supplemented the core reading list for my CST 591 Environmental Communication Studies class. At the end of our course, our professor sought out class opinion about whether to keep this book as part of the readings list. I feel that this text is a great resouce; other students felt it should be dropped. It's written from a sociological perspective and not too many understand that type of applied lens. We had students from various disciplines in our class - so this might be a reason why some students felt the way they did.

Bernard's (2010) compilation of various community issues is a snap-shot approach. He gives as much background as possible to each case presented. For example, the case offering on the Wisconsin tribe of the Menominee was useful because here in Oregon we have a similar situation: land issue disputes between two confederated tribes (The Confederated Tribes of the Grand Ronde and the Confederated Tribes of the Warm Springs) and how policy -in the past and present- drawn around gaming, landuse, or other problematic economic issues they face as stakeholders, in a ten-year long dispute process that is very complicated.

I learned a lot about how people come together to solve situations/dilemmas that affect communities and felt this book was indispensible in my learning process!

Thanks for asking me about the book!
Have you read it as well, daisy???

Jesse 08-08-2010 09:39 PM

The Complete C.S. Lewis Signature Classics - Working on The ScrewTape Letters for now.

I received this book as a Christmas present and am just now getting around to really reading it. :sunglass:

Soft*Silver 08-08-2010 11:01 PM

I am about to read The Story of B. Its by the author of Ishmeal. Has anyone read either book? I read Ishmael and enjoyed it. It was a life changing book for my daughter, much like Johnathon Livingston Seagull was for me when i was her age.

Soft*Silver 08-08-2010 11:03 PM

OH! I have been wanting to read that book! I am going to see if I cant get it at the library when I go to the hospital for my surgery. I want to bring a few books so I can read and not just watch TV all day.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tranzman (Post 171043)
The Complete C.S. Lewis Signature Classics - Working on The ScrewTape Letters for now.

I received this book as a Christmas present and am just now getting around to really reading it. :sunglass:

Soft*Silver 08-08-2010 11:04 PM

I liked the last book....but I think they best lay it down and start a new project.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dark_crystal (Post 148385)
i just finished The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and now i am reading...whatever the latest House of Night book is

cane 08-08-2010 11:06 PM

Jane Eyre - Charlotte Brontë

(What can I say, I'm just a sucker for the old classics)

DamonK 08-08-2010 11:17 PM

The Boys by Martin Gilbert

Documents the lives of 732 boys and girls during the Holocaust, their lives before the camps, the camps, and after the camps.