Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Fluffy Stuff: Flirting, Humor, Chat (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   What are you reading? (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1589)

WILDCAT 01-01-2010 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linus (Post 29230)

GET OUT!! (Nice push here like Elaine from Seinfeld!!)

So, I do not KNOW this guy, but he died SO far back, ('84 did it say)? OK, calling my Mother right now Linus! Thank you so much!!

Maybe she will remember him in something, from way back. It doesn't look like he was a "main character" in movies though - even then, anything outstanding and/or memorable...(?) But, IF he was in ANY "murder mystery" BEV will most certainly know/remember him!


WILDCAT

:danceparty:

Bob 01-01-2010 05:12 PM

Mastering the Art of French Cooking, v.1, Julia Child, et al. (So bummed blogging this has already been done.)

Blood's A Rover, James Ellroy. Hardcore staccato conspiracy-noir from the master.

Elder Scrolls: The Infernal City, Greg Keyes. You'll probably only enjoy this if you're familiar with the video games Morrowind and Oblivion.

Queerasfck 01-01-2010 05:22 PM

The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammett

Spade and Archer by Joe Gores

Gemme 01-02-2010 12:53 AM

Besides reading posts here, I was reading the obits.

Don't ask. :blink:

suebee 01-02-2010 08:42 AM

I'm still reading the instructions to the MP3 player I got for Christmas 08. Does anybody have a 12 -year-old I can borrow who can show me how to use the damned thing? :playingchess: (my new smilie policy: use one from the window to the right whether it fits or not) :)

amiyesiam 01-02-2010 11:46 AM

the same two books I was reading last week. I need to finish them.
I did read Return to Isis by Jean Stewart last week. There are 4 more books in the series. I have them and now need to read them.
:sumo:

daisygrrl 01-02-2010 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cybersuebee (Post 29520)
I'm still reading the instructions to the MP3 player I got for Christmas 08. Does anybody have a 12 -year-old I can borrow who can show me how to use the damned thing? :playingchess: (my new smilie policy: use one from the window to the right whether it fits or not) :)

I know exactly how you feel about the electronics! When I get a new cell phone, I always bring it to class so my students can show me how to use all the nifty features :koolaid:

p.s. I like your smilie policy ;)

Gemme 01-02-2010 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cybersuebee (Post 29520)
I'm still reading the instructions to the MP3 player I got for Christmas 08. Does anybody have a 12 -year-old I can borrow who can show me how to use the damned thing? :playingchess: (my new smilie policy: use one from the window to the right whether it fits or not) :)

In regards to your smiley policy, I've been doing that since they got the rotating smiley thing up and running. I've even adjusted my posts, on occasion, to fit the smilies. lol

This one's new to me....:givingarose:

Dean Thoreau 01-03-2010 09:23 AM

today i just finished reading One year of living biblically...
i would not recommend it..wasnt even silly enuf to be funny, just trite....anyone wants the book let me know...i will send it ot u...if not its going in the goodwill bin :rabbi:

Rufusboi 01-04-2010 10:18 AM

Currently reading Greg Iles "True Evil." A real page turner!

Rufus

daisygrrl 01-04-2010 10:25 AM

Currently skimming Kate Bornstein's Gender Outlaw: On Men, Women, & the Rest of Us for quotes. If you haven't read it, it's worth the time!

Here's an excerpt...

I write when nothing else will bring me peace, when I burn, when I find myself asking and answering the same questions over and over…I write in bottom space. I open up to you, I cut myself, I show you my fantasies, I get a kick out of that—oh, yeah. I perform in top space. I cover myself with my character and take you where you never dreamed you could go. Yes. My ancestors did this. My instrument is not my pen or my typewriter, not my lover’s Macintosh, not my cast of characters, not my body on stage. No, my instrument is my audience and oh how I love to play you.

Damn, she's brilliant--and that red hair when I saw her perform....:awww:

Dean Thoreau 01-04-2010 03:42 PM

book mooch
 
For those that may or may not know aobut it..

Here is a great way to share and save $$ on books to say nothing of saving the lives of trees everywhere!

www.bookmooch.com

feel free to look for me Dean Thoreau

any books that within 24 hours of my offering here.....i will be posting on Book Mooch...the ones no one wants from book mooch...will go to goodwill...

I just cant stand hoarding the books any longer.

Dean

turasultana 01-04-2010 03:50 PM

Just took Margaret Atwood's "The year of the flood" out of the library.

any book described as "dystopian" makes me swoon. :)

hpychick 01-04-2010 08:32 PM

Over the holidays, because I was absolutely bored out of my gourd - and yes, I do have a gourd, thank you very much - I went to Barnes & Noble and bought two new books. One - the one I'm really enjoying right now is historical fiction, titled Mary. It's [loosely] based on the [supposed] letters that Mary Todd Lincoln wrote whilst she was in the asylum.

The second book is something by David Sedaris. I thought I might need something comical get me out of any funk Mary might put me in. Well, I have not picked up the David Sedaris book, and honestly, I'm thrilled.

Mary is an easy read and the author does a good job of speaking in the first person and almost making me feel as though I'm walking around in her apron pocket listening and watching her every move.

Dean Thoreau 01-05-2010 06:57 PM

So umm hpychik u gonna lend me mary when you are done????

:givingarose:

smoooooooooooooooooooch

daisygrrl 01-05-2010 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hpychick (Post 30311)
Over the holidays, because I was absolutely bored out of my gourd - and yes, I do have a gourd, thank you very much - I went to Barnes & Noble and bought two new books. One - the one I'm really enjoying right now is historical fiction, titled Mary. It's [loosely] based on the [supposed] letters that Mary Todd Lincoln wrote whilst she was in the asylum.

The second book is something by David Sedaris. I thought I might need something comical get me out of any funk Mary might put me in. Well, I have not picked up the David Sedaris book, and honestly, I'm thrilled.

Mary is an easy read and the author does a good job of speaking in the first person and almost making me feel as though I'm walking around in her apron pocket listening and watching her every move.

Mary sounds really cool--I've put it on my reading list!

A bit ago, I finished (well, I'm not quite "finished') reading Asylum: Inside the Closed World of State Mental Hospitals by Christopher Payne. It's an amazing collection of photographs of abandoned, vast mental asylums.

I also just picked up David Sedaris' When You are Engulfed in Flames... I'm a bit behind, but I'm looking forward to in the near future.

Happy Readin', Ya'll!

Dean Thoreau 01-05-2010 08:06 PM

Engulfed in flames is good daisy...unfortunately with all the publiccity and build up you may be a bit disappointed....It was good but not deserving of so much acclaim.
Just read the book Powerpoint 7...........dry very dry..it will be a great door stop!
I am out of books and need to refill before i start wandering the grocery store reading all the labels..... its a pain when u run out of things to read...anyone who does not know about it..... the guttenberg project.org u can download tons of classics for free onto your computer..kindle, e reader, ipod, mp3, etc etc....for a little fun reading try Elinor Glyn ..very racy writing back when she wrote it in the 1800's Alexander Dumas of course is always a joy an if you are up to a challenge read some joyce....(I suggest medicinal pot prior to injecting joyce into ones brain) :hrmph:

Rufusboi 01-05-2010 09:35 PM

I just ordered four ELizabeth Gaskell novels (mostly because I just saw the third part of Cranford on Masterpiece classics last night). I've read Gaskell's Bio of Charlotte Bronte but didn't think to read her novels. Now I'm about to start up my old obsession with very long Victorian novels. I'll probably emerge again sometime in 2011. See you then.

Rufus

weatherboi 01-05-2010 10:50 PM

Fever : how rock 'n' roll transformed gender in America / Tim Riley.
Yayyyyyy I have been waiting for 5 months for our local library to get this book in!!!! I placed it on hold and will pick it up tomorrow.

Diva 01-05-2010 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rufusboi (Post 30557)
I just ordered four ELizabeth Gaskell novels (mostly because I just saw the third part of Cranford on Masterpiece classics last night). I've read Gaskell's Bio of Charlotte Bronte but didn't think to read her novels. Now I'm about to start up my old obsession with very long Victorian novels. I'll probably emerge again sometime in 2011. See you then.

Rufus


Rufus,

May I suggest "Jane Eyre" for a Bronte work? It's amazing.....and the first Victorian work I ever read...and have read it 4 or 5 times. Deep and rich and colorful.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:59 AM.

ButchFemmePlanet.com
All information copyright of BFP 2018