Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   BFP Folks Under 30 (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   Gay-Straight Alliances in School (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3655)

AlphaDrug 08-12-2011 05:42 PM

Gay-Straight Alliances in School

This is for anyone with a GSA(or any variation) in high school or college. Talk about anything related to your club, fund raisers, good discussion topics, events, how you started one... etc.

I was president of my GSA senior year back in '07. I organized us to go to pro-gay-marriage protests and make banners, it helped that I live in one of the most protested cities ever, Washington, D.C.

In college I was involved for a little with the GSA, I had class the same time they met so it didn't work out too well. I ended up helping to participate in the Anti-Prop-8 protest with the club. We also had great movie show and tells where we discussed the dynamics of the movie and different scenes.

EnderD_503 08-13-2011 06:35 AM

Was never a part of one. I frequent some university groups on occasion, but they aren't GSAs. There's been huge battles raging here in Ontario, though, trying to make the Catholic School Board allow official GSAs in Ontario Catholic schools. Even in this day and age... :seeingstars:

AlphaDrug 08-13-2011 08:21 AM

Thats pretty terrible... I'm sorry.

My favorite poster/sign from the protests was "I cant believe we still have to protest this s***!" And then it listed, Women's Equality, Racial Equality, and Gay Equality. And it had check boxes next to them all, of course gay equality wasn't marked off and circled in red.

stepfordfemme 08-13-2011 10:50 AM

I was really lucky to have a strong gbltq "support" or alliance group in university.

My bff and I would head off to our "tuesday night meetings". So much fun and really felt less alone.

I don't know how much impact a gay straight alliance would have had in high school because I wouldn't have wanted to be that OUT in a small town. I still had lots of friends, we were all pretty covert.

never felt the need to protest that much in Canada. :) We were allowed to take gay prom dates, gay marriage has been legal since 2005 if I'm not mistaken?, and we were all pretty much of the " don't let anyone know and some day you will move to a big city" if you were gay in my small town. It was an odd dynamic.

Love hearing about others experiences :)

Stud_puppy1991 09-09-2012 11:46 AM

I was first part of a GSA in high school my junior year. We were known as S.T.R.I.D.E., which stood for Students and Teachers Respecting Individuality, Diversity, and Equality. We did have a lot of LGBT students in our club, but that wasn't just our main focus. We basically were the group in school that was for those who felt like they weren't accepted in school because of the fact they weren't like everyone else for some reason. And our group made it so we all could unite and show that we accepted everyone there for who they were. After high school, I had joined my college's LGBT club which we didn't really get until my 2nd year of college, since too many people wanted to reject tolerance and acceptance. though, finally, the school came to an agreement, and we formed P.R.I.S.M.
(Pride, Respect, Insightfulness, and Mindfulness.), and since then, we have had all sorts of people join, had coming out panels, speakers, and even did Day of Silence.