Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Fluffy Stuff: Flirting, Humor, Chat (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   What are you reading? (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1589)

okieblu 03-30-2014 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparkle (Post 901528)
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

I was wondering, is that fiction, or non-fiction?

The JD 03-30-2014 11:36 PM

I'm reading The Unapologetic Fat Girl's Guide to Exercise and Other Incendiary Acts by Hanne Blank.

I just started this book last night, and am digging it so far. This is not a cheerleading book. There are no chants of "rah rah! You can lose that weight!" And thank goodness. Aren't there enough books like that already? There's no guilt tripping here, or promises of how much fun it will be, as if fun exercise is some secret I've somehow missed out on.

What this book does well is to offer the radical idea that fat bodies have just as much right to be in motion as any other body (this sounds like it should be obvious, but the glares I've gotten at the gym and the paltry selection of exercise clothes in my size have told me otherwise). This book offers sample goals that are internally driven, and aren't based on peer-pressure and pack mentality that so often dominates fitness books. Most intriguing of all, exercise is presented as a protest act. As a punk rocker (albeit aging), this idea is incredibly appealing.

And tomorrow, I'm going to buy an activity tracker. So fuck off, society! :mohawk:

Sparkle 03-31-2014 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okieblu (Post 902263)
I was wondering, is that fiction, or non-fiction?

It is historical fiction set in Germany during the later half of WWII (1941-1944), approximately. And it's written in a somewhat unusual style, with an unusual narrator.

I've not yet seen the film adaptation.

Frankly, I can't imagine how they'll portray some parts and I'm not ready to find out just yet because the magic and beauty of the book is still with me.

I'm a read first, watch later purist, in most cases

willow 03-31-2014 06:28 AM

Just started, The Hunger Games Trilogy.

silkepus 03-31-2014 07:24 PM

Ive spent the last two days reading The Well of Loneliness by Radclyffe Hall, it's 3 am and I just finished it (and I have to get up in less than 4 hours argh, why did I not put it down)

Either way, I hate it. And I love it. Why! Why did it have to end like that! Why Hall! How could you!

https://24.media.tumblr.com/7f0ba625...t4cto1_500.jpg

Tomorrow is going to be balls. Not only will I be tired I'll be constantly haunted by the ending :readfineprint:

LaDivina 03-31-2014 07:45 PM

I just finished Anne Bishop's Black Jewels trilogy a couple days ago (for the 23421978th time) and am almost done with The Invisible Ring, from the same world.

:stillheart: :stillheart: :stillheart:

Corkey 04-01-2014 12:02 PM

"The Fires of Vesuvius Pompeii Lost and Found"
by Mary Beard.

cinnamongrrl 04-02-2014 08:44 PM

Today I received my long awaited cookbook.... Wildly Affordable Organic.

The author conceived the idea of the book when she accepted a challenge to live and eat well on the amount of money the government gives for food stamp benefits.

She found that its actually possible to eat well on under 5 dollars a day. And enjoy nourishing meals at that. All her tricks and secrets of success are in this wonderful book.... :)

author: Linda Watson

EnderD_503 04-03-2014 07:04 PM

Currently reading Soccer vs the State: Tackling Football and Radical Politics

Just started it, but looks like it's going to be a good read.

Daktari 04-10-2014 04:59 AM

Just finished Tina Fey's autobiography attempt, Bossypants. I recommend you don't bother reading it. I like Tina, love her comedy but her prose is so very pedestrian. :|

Just started the Rosie Project. Just a few pages in I know I'm going to love it.

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1405912790"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1405912790[/ame]

cinnamongrrl 04-10-2014 05:25 AM

I just started reading Walden....

I didnt know til I started reading it that this book has inspired world leaders...(Ghandi was mentioned). I have found life altering wisdom...and Im not even that far into it....
Thoreau says things that Ive thought and could never word so eloquently....the greatest of which... that we spend more time doing than just BEING....Im going to make a more concerted effort to just BE.... :)

deathbypoem 04-15-2014 04:36 PM

Currently reading 3 books.

Almost finished with "Stolen Innocence" By Elissa Wall

Still reading:

Secrets from the southern living test kitchens :)

Azar Nafisi: Things I've been silent about

They are super thus far

Gráinne 04-15-2014 06:30 PM

Royal Maladies: Inherited Diseases In The Ruling Houses of Europe. It traces hemophilia (a bleeding disorder) from Queen Victoria through her carrier daughters and into their sons, unfortunately who were heirs to the thrones of Russia and Spain, and close relatives to the German Kaiser. Then it traces porphyria (a metabolic disorder of the blood) from George III of England all the way back to Henry VI, whose bouts of madness led to the Wars of the Roses. The royal lines of Europe were already in bad shape due to marriages of close relatives, and diseases such as these weakened them further just as revolution came.

cinnamongrrl 04-25-2014 05:48 AM

I'm reading John Muir's Wilderness Essays :)

ONLY 05-04-2014 12:33 PM

Half way through "From Dead To Worse" by Charlaine Harris

deathbypoem 05-10-2014 02:47 PM

Winter Tale by Paul Auster

and The Cat who came for Christmas!

Kelt 05-14-2014 12:50 PM

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...4,203,200_.jpg

"A novel written by a veteran of the war in Iraq, The Yellow Birds is the harrowing story of two young soldiers trying to stay alive."

This is a first novel that has garnered high praise and I can see why. It is also quite understandable that his second book is poetry. I am relishing this, (started yesterday, will finish today) exceptionally well crafted.

:reader:

Genesis 05-14-2014 01:10 PM

The Hummingbird's Daughter by Luis Alberto Urrea

This historical novel is based on Urrea's real great-aunt Teresita, who had healing powers and was acclaimed as a saint. Urrea has researched historical accounts and family records for years to get an accurate story.

Kobi 05-14-2014 09:37 PM

Women are not small men : life-saving strategies for preventing and healing heart disease in women by Nieca Goldberg MD

Until very recently, no book like this could have been written, because all the knowledge, research, and treatments concerning heart disease were based on findings in men. For too many years, the medical establishment was ignorant of women’s unique needs and physiology and looked upon women as simply “small men.”

But women are not small men. It is now understood that our physiology is very different from that of men, especially when it comes to heart disease. Our hearts are proportionately smaller, and when we develop the first signs and symptoms of heart disease, we are usually ten years older than men. Consequently, to be effective, heart disease prevention and treatment programs for women must be different from those for men.

cinnamongrrl 05-16-2014 07:06 PM

I started reading Walking the Appalachian Trail by Larry Luxenberg

Its a compilation of various hikers' experiences while traversing the AT.

Im (mentally) training to hike it someday :)