Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Fluffy Stuff: Flirting, Humor, Chat (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   What are you reading? (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1589)

Novelafemme 12-06-2011 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkieLee (Post 481100)
My honey and I have started the Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins. I just started the first book last night and read about 8 chapaters, D started the series on Saturday and is already on the last book. Yep, within the first few pages you get sucked in.

My best friend just gave me this book for my girls to read. I haven't given it to them yet as I wanted to peruse it first. Do you think it's age appropriate for a 13 & 10 year old?

Toughy 12-06-2011 10:01 AM

I have had the unabridged version of Stranger in a Strange Land (it's about 1/4 longer than the original version published in 1961) in my bookcase for a long time. Bored with murder mysteries I decided to read it again after maybe 30 years. I am about half way through it....

boy I had forgotten how bad sexism really was then....and some homophobia....but the story is still a great one.....

off to 'grok' it more....

Tawse 12-06-2011 11:00 AM

Quote:

My honey and I have started the Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins. I just started the first book last night and read about 8 chapaters, D started the series on Saturday and is already on the last book. Yep, within the first few pages you get sucked in.

Started reading this last night as well...

Catalina, As far as age appropriate for 10 - 13. I haven't a clue as yet, but it is listed as a YA series.

Arwen 12-06-2011 11:56 AM

Quote:

I just chewed through those on my Kindle. I'll be re-reading them. Lots of interesting themes.

Tawse, it's pretty brutal. The 13 yr old yes, but if the 10 yr old is prone to nightmares, I'd hold off for a year or so.

Tawse 12-09-2011 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arwen (Post 481208)

I just chewed through those on my Kindle. I'll be re-reading them. Lots of interesting themes.

Tawse, it's pretty brutal. The 13 yr old yes, but if the 10 yr old is prone to nightmares, I'd hold off for a year or so.

Yep finished book 1 this morning..and I'm not even sure if I'd want a 13 year old to read it... but I guess it depends on the 13 year old.

Tough subject matter...

Kätzchen 12-11-2011 01:24 PM

Debt: The First 5,000 Years

I just finished reading archaeologist David Graeber's book!

Graeber's compelling evidence presents a stunning reversal of conventional of how economics has been construed for eons. I found this book very interesting and could not put it down.

I'm keeping this book (strong recommendation).

http://www.powells.com/biblio/71-978...mid=48972&jb=0

http://www.litstack.com/wp-content/u...7355760500.jpg

girl_dee 12-12-2011 06:40 AM

The Memory Palace by Mira Bartok ....

Arwen 12-12-2011 10:24 AM

The Gathering Storm by Robyn Bridges

It's book one of the Katerina Trilogy.

always2late 12-12-2011 10:35 AM

"The Rules of Civility" by Amor Towles and "The Girl with The Dragon Tattoo" series. And..because I can never read just ONE book (or two in this case) I am also re-reading several Agatha Christie mysteries.

nycbutch 12-12-2011 10:47 AM

"Codependent No More" by Melody Beattie....should have read this years ago!

Tawse 12-12-2011 11:57 AM

Ok - I finished the Hunger Games and I'm fairly certain that I now need therapy...

Greco 12-12-2011 05:54 PM

To recollect

"Recollections: An Autobiography" by Viktor Frankl

I started this a while back, put it down, then decided
if he, and his family could have gone through what they did,
I can honor and witness their lives by reading it all.

Its a book of not many pages, but powerful nonetheless.

I found it in one of my old bookstore visits, so it may be
out of print. Check Amazon.

Greco

The JD 12-12-2011 08:37 PM

Count me in for another fan of The Hunger Games. Can't wait to see the movie in the Spring! Disturbing series, especially considering it's for young adults. I got to the end and still couldn't figure out if it was a comedy or a tragedy (you know, in the classic meaning: is there redemption or not?). It's not often I find that.

And... since everyone* on this site writes like David Foster Wallace (at least according to another thread), I'm re-reading his fantastic book of essays, A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again.**

JD

* Except me
** Maybe if I include more footnotes, my writing will pass for his too...

Glenn 12-19-2011 09:51 AM

Just finished Vladimir Nabokov's "Ada"- 626 pages of exquiste and wonderful writing...could'nt let it go...it took me a week to finish reading..it took him a lifetime to finish writing. It was about this great writer's life living among the elite upper class, and his awesome love for Ada.

puddin' 12-19-2011 10:15 AM

"a game of thrones" ~george r. r. martin (book 1 in a set)

Skittlesluver 12-19-2011 10:21 AM

Received "My Cousin Rachel" by Daphne du Maurier as a gift :)

Tawse 12-19-2011 10:40 AM

read a sample of Divergent last night. Pretty sure I'll be dl it tonight for reading...

Apparently I really like Dystopian YA books.

I really hope this isn't as intense as Hunger Games.

Melissa 12-19-2011 10:58 AM

I'm reading Prey by Michael Crichton and really enjoying it!

Soon 12-19-2011 06:40 PM

New novel from Amazon just arrived that I had read good reviews about: (there's two on the links)

Love and Shame and Love by Peter Orner

Looking forward to it . :)

Kätzchen 12-19-2011 06:53 PM

I probably won't be done with the book I'm reading right now until later this week but I'm going to check out The Hunger Games soon!

JD? I've read the book of essays by Wallace: A Supposedly a fun thing I'll never do again. Which of his essays did you appreciate the most?

(gotta go, I'm at work)