Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The News (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=117)
-   -   Anti abortion ad to air during Super Bowl (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=741)

Queerasfck 01-22-2010 05:26 PM

Anti abortion ad to air during Super Bowl

I was disturbed to read today that in the all out media blitz that is the Super Bowl CBS will be airing an anti-abortion ad paid for by Focus on the Family.

This is from Mother Jones magazine
CBS to Air First Super Bowl Abortion Ad
— By Elizabeth Gettelman
| Fri Jan. 22, 2010 12:19 PM PST.
I have a general, albeit sometimes irrational, distaste for quarterbacks. There's something about their deified status, the fact that they're often positioned as Great White Hopes on mostly black teams, their 'me'-in-team attitudes; I admittedly look for reasons to knock them down a peg. Joe Theismann: ridiculous (he changed the pronunciation of his name, 'THEES-man,' to rhyme with Heisman, as in trophy). Joe Montana: privileged (Joe Cool played for the wine-and-cheese 49ers and had the best receivers in the biz). Peyton Manning: whiner (no-huddle does not have to mean all-tantrum). Michael Vick: dog hater (no explanation nec). I could go on, but this isn't a sports' blog, so I'll get on with it.
Tim Tebow. The Heisman-winning, Florida Gators' QB is headed to the NFL, and for the past few years he's been the darling of college football. He's capitalized on that exposure, declaring his virginism and etching bible passages into his eye black for every game. Now Tebow is taking televangelism to a whole new level: the Super Bowl. Even better, the still-college boy is going to star in a commercial in the Super Bowl, and everybody knows that the ads are the most-watched, most memorable, and most expensive part of the 6-hour affair (halftime is a close second). Tebow and his mom's Super Bowl ad is sponsored by James Dobson's Focus on the Family. Tim's mom will tell America how she was young and not sure she wanted a baby, but then she had Tim who's a star about to make gobs and gobs of money (she probably won't say that last part, but you'll get the picture). Ergo, you'd be crazy to consider an abortion, ladies, and gents and those not of child-bearing age, don't even think about supporting a woman's right to chose, because how could you choose not to gestate and give life to a person as successful and handsome as Tim Tebow?
This "false choice," as TAPPED's Monica Potts so rightly calls it, is fucked. Sorry, it just is. You cannot tell a woman that she might give birth to the next superstar, the next president, the next great thing, or even the next maybe-not-great-thing but still-deserving-of-your-love human being. Because no matter what you might believe, or I might believe (and the idea of having an abortion is a horrifying prospect to me, as it is to most pro-choicers, for the record) when it comes right down to it, when it's 3rd and 25 and you're deep in your own territory, Tim, you're your only coach in this scenario. What you won't hear in this commercial is that a woman might die giving birth, or go broke after she has the child, or lose her own future and compromise her kid's. All these things are 'maybe's,' and women and their partners in this situation are left with difficult, horrible choices no one wants to be beset with, but in the end this simply isn't anyone else's, including Tim Tebow's, damn business.

DELSDAUGHTER 01-22-2010 05:47 PM

thats not the place for it........
but then again in our local halloween parade they had an anti abortion group march with huge pics of mutilated babies on the float.....freedom of speech should have its limitations.......

apretty 01-22-2010 05:49 PM

i'm considering celebrating by having an abortion. ...well, or sponsoring one.

Soon 01-22-2010 05:51 PM

:angry:I heard about this a few days ago...I have no words...except DISGUST and OUTRAGE!

And, the exaltation of sports figures in the U.S. as some sort of demi-gods makes me sick.

I guess I found a few words...add arrrghhhhhh!

Corkey 01-22-2010 05:55 PM

Why not a condom commercial to go hand in hand with the beer commercial?
Geez they think it's always the woman's fault!!! How about some male responsibility for a change.

Soon 01-22-2010 06:01 PM

In other news...Bristol Palin has decided to re-virginize until marriage.

*eyeroll

WILDCAT 01-22-2010 06:02 PM

Wow. This is a majorly huge disappointment. My last refuge, or safe zone from the fanatics was sports - I thought...

christ!

Inuus 01-22-2010 06:02 PM

I about spit my coffee on that one thanks for the laugh!

Quote:

Originally Posted by apretty (Post 37851)

DELSDAUGHTER 01-22-2010 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HowSoonIsNow (Post 37856)

*eyeroll

how does one re-virginiz oneself.....exactly...? lol.

Soon 01-22-2010 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apretty (Post 37851)

Considering thousands of women have to travel OUT of state and/or hundreds of miles to obtain one, this isn't such a far out idea.

Soon 01-22-2010 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DELSDAUGHTER (Post 37859)

I kinda made that word up or heard it from elsewhere. *shrug

“I just think it’s a goal to have and other women should have that goal,” said Bristol, appearing on The Oprah Winfrey Show via satellite from Alaska.

WHA? and WHY? A goal for women to remain virgins until they are married? B/c THAT is what ALL women want and/or must have in order to BE women. AND, define virginity?

I Can't Deal.

----

Tim Tebow is IDOLIZED in Gainesville, FL. (and elsewhere--you can travel FAR outside of the city and it's all about the GATORS and Tebow and his biblically smeared cheeks!)

BullDog 01-22-2010 06:14 PM

I agree with Corkey. If they are so concerned cut the beer commercials and show more condem ads.

Oh and can we squeeze in a Public Service Announcement for anti-domestic violence in between the GoDaddy ads?

Soon 01-22-2010 06:16 PM

Excerpted from change.org

Change.org

Here's hoping Tim Tebow knows what he's getting into, though. Does Tim Tebow know that he's supporting an organization that has called gay marriage perverted and has said that homosexuals want to destroy human civilization? Does Tim Tebow know that he's supporting an organization that believes you can repair homosexuality, and that sexual orientation is a condition that can be treated? Does Tim Tebow know he's supporting an organization whose founder has said that sex education strips girls of their modesty?

We could go on.

Oh well. Maybe Tim Tebow has decided that since a future in the NFL is not looking so bright, he can always fall back on the homophobia of the radical religious right to keep his name out there.

Hudson 01-22-2010 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HowSoonIsNow (Post 37856)

*eyeroll

OMG, me too. Samesies.

apretty 01-22-2010 06:34 PM

i had a ribbon sewn across my vagina so that i'm a virgin EVERY time--it's pink satin.

Soon 01-22-2010 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apretty (Post 37877)
i had a ribbon sewn across my vagina so that i'm a virgin EVERY time--it's pink satin.

aprettyvagina!

:bouquet:

Andrew, Jr. 01-22-2010 06:49 PM

Wrong Wrong Wrong

It proves my point about having money. If you have it, you can buy anything you want. I think this is just so inappropriate and on so many levels.:canoworms: :football:

MsDemeanor 01-22-2010 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HowSoonIsNow (Post 37866)
Change.org

Here's hoping Tim Tebow knows what he's getting into, though. Does Tim Tebow know that he's supporting an organization that has called gay marriage perverted and has said that homosexuals want to destroy human civilization? Does Tim Tebow know that he's supporting an organization that believes you can repair homosexuality, and that sexual orientation is a condition that can be treated? Does Tim Tebow know he's supporting an organization whose founder has said that sex education strips girls of their modesty?

We could go on.

Oh well. Maybe Tim Tebow has decided that since a future in the NFL is not looking so bright, he can always fall back on the homophobia of the radical religious right to keep his name out there.

Tebow is the deeply religious son of christian missionaries. He probably thinks that this is just swell.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mister and I learned about this last week. We're boycotting the super bowl this year, and are writing letters to let folks know why.

apretty 01-22-2010 10:01 PM

http://thecollegefootballguys.blogsp...t-lurking.html

http://www.insomniacslounge.com/2008...pier-than.html

really. wtf.

LieslKate 01-22-2010 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DELSDAUGHTER (Post 37859)

*hands you a staple gun, a hot glue gun and a leather needle and thong...* Your choice ! :D