Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hobbies, Crafts, Interests (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Music Talk (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5883)

Martina 10-22-2012 01:54 AM

Music Talk

I had a thread like this on the other site. It wasn't too popular, but here goes.

So whatever you want to talk about re your favorite band, a show you just saw, a song that gets on your last nerve . . . whatever.

Open for business

Martina 10-22-2012 01:55 AM

OK, so I am on the PBS site tonight and saw that they had a few episodes of Austin City Limits that you can view. Just four. The episodes featured Cold Play, Bon Iver, Arcade Fire, and Radiohead. My reaction was could you name four more overrated groups? Could you contrive a more perfect list of overrated bands if you tried? Anyway, that's my music comment of the night. Not a very nice one.

The LA Weekly has a list of the "20 Worst Hipster Bands," and Arcade Fire and Bon Iver are both on it. So it's not just me.

Here's the whole list in case anyone is interested. When I saw the list originally, I listened again to a Decemberist record I have. No reconsideration for me. I can see that they think they are clever and that that can grate. But I enjoy them a lot.

20 The Black Keys
19 TV On The Radio
18 Sleigh Bells
17 fun.
16 MGMT
15 Death Cab For Cutie
14 Wavves
13 The Decemberists
12 Pomplamoose
11 Edward Sharpe And The Magnetic Zeros
10 White Rabbits
09 Beach House
08 The Airborne Toxic Event
07 Ariel Pink’s Haunted Graffiti
06 Beirut
05 Grizzly Bear
04 Bright Eyes
03 Arcade Fire
02 tUnE-yArDs
01 Bon Iver

Words 10-22-2012 04:41 AM

We were watching a George Carlin DVD the other night and he said something to the effect of white folks had no right to play the blues because it's not enough to know the chords, you have to know why you play them.

I thought that was pretty profound.

Words

Words 10-22-2012 10:20 AM

Okay, so it's official...I'm a thread killer:(

NJFemmie 10-22-2012 10:26 AM

Dammit Words :)

All I will contribute right now is that I CANNOT listen to any Justin Beiber song.

I physically get sick.

It's kind of the way I feel about poodles. I'm not sure why, but I don't like them. At all. They make me angry.

The_Lady_Snow 10-22-2012 10:31 AM

Music!

2013 is our Music year!!

We will be starting out the New Year with The Civil Wars, it's at a decent venue where we will not be standing and actually sitting and able to enjoy their sound!

I use to dislike Taylor Swift but lately she's grown on me, Beiber not so much I wanna put him in a bag and then a box.

NJFemmie 10-22-2012 10:35 AM

My heart remains with bands like Heart, Pat Benatar, Van Halen (sans Sammy Hagar) .... but I listen to just about everything from classical/opera to heavy metal and all in between.

Except for Beiber.

Beiber is a poodle to me.

Martina 10-22-2012 06:18 PM

Sorry, Words. I didn't see that people were posting. Wahoo. This was not a popular thread on the other site, so I thought it had faded fast.

So cool that it hasn't.

Laughed out loud at Bieber in a bag and then in a box.

I love Heart and Pat Benatar. And Taylor Swift has grown on me too. Her Kennedy obsession is kinda weird. I hope she likes the boy for more reasons than his last name.

There are a lot of genres -- not just blues -- that people not from that background make kind of sterile. The kind of bluegrass you hear on NPR is pretty as anything, but it lacks that grrrrr.

Gráinne 10-22-2012 08:55 PM

Some of us were talking about music in chat today :). I like, or have liked, nearly every type except for misogynistic rap and heavy, heavy metal.

But then I "violate" my own rule and love Eminem's "Not Afraid".

And what defines "heavy metal"? My beloved Def Leppard? Aerosmith? Guns N' Roses? I think that's pretty subjective. I even like me some AC/DC.

I have also crushed on many of the entries in that European Song contest, which I've forgotten the name of again. I wish America would do something like that. Heck, maybe the world should do that!

I seem to be the only fan of Mazzy Star's, or even Midnight Oil. Everybody asks me, "Who?"

And this from a 70's disco duck who grew up on Gilbert & Sullivan, operas, and classical music-even if my introduction to those were from Bugs Bunny.

Music is my lifeblood.

Martina 10-22-2012 09:31 PM

I used to love Midnight Oil. Good band.

Re Mazzy's Star, . . . who?

Quote:

Originally Posted by guihong (Post 682074)
Some of us were talking about music in chat today :). I like, or have liked, nearly every type except for misogynistic rap and heavy, heavy metal.

But then I "violate" my own rule and love Eminem's "Not Afraid".

And what defines "heavy metal"? My beloved Def Leppard? Aerosmith? Guns N' Roses? I think that's pretty subjective. I even like me some AC/DC.

I have also crushed on many of the entries in that European Song contest, which I've forgotten the name of again. I wish America would do something like that. Heck, maybe the world should do that!

I seem to be the only fan of Mazzy Star's, or even Midnight Oil. Everybody asks me, "Who?"

And this from a 70's disco duck who grew up on Gilbert & Sullivan, operas, and classical music-even if my introduction to those were from Bugs Bunny.

Music is my lifeblood.

Gráinne 10-22-2012 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martina (Post 682113)
I used to love Midnight Oil. Good band.

Re Mazzy's Star, . . . who?

Martina, that made me laugh (because I am incapable of making a smiley)

Mazzy Star is/was sort of an alternative duo. Some of their work might be a little weird to many. You might know them from this song:

julieisafemme 10-22-2012 09:39 PM

Oh! I love music! I am up on all the cool pop because of my kid. I love Bieber! Taylor Swift is ok. I love Queen. Lately there are some songs that remind me of Freddie. Madness by Muse and What Do I Stand For by Fun. I also like Bruno Mars new song. It sounds like old Police and I also love that. Look up Son de la Frontera's Buleria Negra del Gastor. My kid called it "feet!" when she was little.

There is not a lot of music I do not like but sometimes I don't like the words.

Martina 10-22-2012 09:42 PM

Guihong,

I do remember the song. Pretty!

THANKS! I probably would not have heard that one again. :)

Martina 10-22-2012 09:49 PM

Thanks for the recommendations! I loved Freddie too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by julieisafemme (Post 682121)
Oh! I love music! I am up on all the cool pop because of my kid. I love Bieber! Taylor Swift is ok. I love Queen. Lately there are some songs that remind me of Freddie. Madness by Muse and What Do I Stand For by Fun. I also like Bruno Mars new song. It sounds like old Police and I also love that. Look up Son de la Frontera's Diego. My kid called it "feet!" when she was little.

There is not a lot of music I do not like but sometimes I don't like the words.

Tommi 10-22-2012 09:53 PM

The Voice ...loss and gain and some really good stuff.

Gráinne 10-22-2012 09:56 PM

Oh, and speaking of obscure...Leningrad Cowboys' cover of Dylan :)

You may have guessed I'm not much for most of modern pop, although I do like some of Taylor Swift's work.

Martina 10-22-2012 09:58 PM

I looked up Son de la Frontera. Didn't find any mention of Diego. Good stuff. I would love to see them live. I don't think I have ever heard Flamenco live.

Elijah 10-22-2012 10:03 PM

I am a big classic rock fan, but My tastes run all over the map...I recently was turned onto:

Poi Dog Pondering...

and

Big Head Todd & The Monsters...

one more worth mentioning...The Airborne Toxic Event...

Take a listen, I don't think you will be disappointed.

~Elijah

Martina 10-22-2012 10:08 PM

OMG!

I laughed LOUD. That chorus! The hair. And they rock too. I am still laughing. LOL.

Quote:

Originally Posted by guihong (Post 682140)
Oh, and speaking of obscure...Leningrad Cowboys' cover of Dylan :)

Martina 10-22-2012 10:14 PM

I was totally addicted to that Big Head Todd song back in the day.
Quote:

Originally Posted by ElijahRene (Post 682148)
I am a big classic rock fan, but My tastes run all over the map...I recently was turned onto: