Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   Celebrity, Music, Television, Internet Culture (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Hannah Free, a butch-femme movie! (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89)

bonne-maman 11-04-2009 11:39 PM

Hannah Free, a butch-femme movie!

I went to see Hannah Free this evening, it is an independent film with a storyline that spans the lives of a butch-femme couple. It is quite a lovely movie, and stars Sharon Gless (Chris Cagney!), as the butch. The movie is especially wonderful in that it explores aging and sexuality as well as the obvious lesbian issues. Has anyone else seen it? Thoughts?

Mel C. 11-04-2009 11:55 PM

Sounds great..I will have to add it to my list

Arwen 11-05-2009 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonne-maman (Post 678)
I went to see Hannah Free this evening, it is an independent film with a storyline that spans the lives of a butch-femme couple. It is quite a lovely movie, and stars Sharon Gless (Chris Cagney!), as the butch. The movie is especially wonderful in that it explores aging and sexuality as well as the obvious lesbian issues. Has anyone else seen it? Thoughts?

I haven't but I will look for it. Thanks for the heads up!

Edit: Well dang it. Looks like it came to Austin and I missed it. Hope they do it on DVD.

Queerasfck 11-05-2009 10:20 AM

Thanks for the tip Bonn-e-jammers.

Mister Bent 11-05-2009 04:30 PM

"Confused" asks...

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonne-maman (Post 678)

Bonne-o-rama, please to explain "obvious lesbian issues."

What are these issues?

Does this involve: Monograms? Fanny pack selection? Which one is "the man?"

Cyclopea 11-05-2009 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mister Bent (Post 849)

What are these issues?

Hmmm, No, these sound more like the issues of a homophobe or lesbian-basher....:confused:

apretty 11-05-2009 07:26 PM

Quote:

What are these issues?

i prefer a wax seal or sceau. (it's the preferred choice when you're requesting the head of some unsavory character.)

evolveme 11-05-2009 07:41 PM

I would just like it to be known that I am always the man.

Sometimes even, The Man.

Cyclopea 11-05-2009 07:52 PM

I could never remember which one was Cagney and which was Lacy.
Guess I never watched that show much.....

Seriously though, I look forward to seeing this film- Lesbian film representations are few and far between...:(

bonne-maman 11-05-2009 08:46 PM

Quote:

What are these issues?

Oh, ya know, Mr. Bender, marginalization, invisibility, not allowing lifetime lovers to visit each other right before one of them kicks the bucket. Also included, what happens when your lover marries a man and expects things not to change between you and her, what happens when you abandon her because she married the man and she does, really, feel abandoned, as do her children. And, the little things, like having the courage to kiss in the yard while raking leaves.

bonne-maman 11-05-2009 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arwen (Post 759)
I haven't but I will look for it. Thanks for the heads up!

Edit: Well dang it. Looks like it came to Austin and I missed it. Hope they do it on DVD.

It will be on DVD, and we should buy it as that is going to be the primary way they pay back their investors.....

lesbian movies only get made if someone has a bake sale.....

Mister Bent 11-05-2009 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonne-maman (Post 958)
Oh, ya know, Mr. Bender, marginalization, invisibility, not allowing lifetime lovers to visit each other right before one of them kicks the bucket. Also included, what happens when your lover marries a man and expects things not to change between you and her, what happens when you abandon her because she married the man and she does, really, feel abandoned, as do her children. And, the little things, like having the courage to kiss in the yard while raking leaves.

I made fun, but I really did want to know what you meant (which I think YOU know). Some of those are more than just lesbian issues, they are universal to the queer experience - marginalization, lack of (external) respect for the relationship and kissing while raking leaves. Kissing while having a bake sale is another, of course. Very cutting edge!

(Also, e isn't really the man, but sometimes she is The Man).

bonne-maman 11-05-2009 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mister Bent (Post 967)
I made fun, but I really did want to know what you meant (which I think YOU know). Some of those are more than just lesbian issues, they are universal to the queer experience - marginalization, lack of (external) respect for the relationship and kissing while raking leaves. Kissing while having a bake sale is another, of course. Very cutting edge!

(Also, e isn't really the man, but sometimes she is The Man).

Of course I knew that you were joshing, Mr. Eureka Tent. :) Yes those things are universal to being queer. Can I think of anything completely specific to being lesbian in the movie????? thinking cap, thinking cap. Well, maybe not in these "modern" times (now I am sounding old), but the part about children being brought along for the ride as lesbian relationships rode the waves of heterosexual marriage interruptions has been primarily a lesbian phenomenon, as opposed to a broader queer experience. Women have historically had custody of kids as het marriages broke apart, though I KNOW that is changing. This movie was set in the 1990's, and the two lovers were very aged in the "current" scenes of the movie. Their "young" scenes went back to their childhoods and young adulthoods, and middle-agedhoods.

e da man. yes e is.

And speaking of kissing, I was dutiful and did a bit of it while at the movie. There were no leaves to rake, I had to make do.

Arwen 11-05-2009 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonne-maman (Post 959)
It will be on DVD, and we should buy it as that is going to be the primary way they pay back their investors.....

lesbian movies only get made if someone has a bake sale.....

Sometimes, I'd rather just have the bake sale...thinking back to "Claire of the Moon"--shudder.

Cyclopea 11-05-2009 11:42 PM

oh no you di'int!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arwen (Post 1022)
Sometimes, I'd rather just have the bake sale...thinking back to "Claire of the Moon"--shudder.

Oh dear god. I actually dragged my ass into the theatre to see that one. We wanted to cover our faces as we left.
"Claire of the Moon" is the "Patch Adams", "Ishtar", "Showgirls" of Lesbian cinema.
I'm still cringing.
But someday they will watch it at midnight showings and dress up and throw toast at the screen.
OK maybe not. If it had been a musical perhaps...
:eek:

Arwen 11-05-2009 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyclopea (Post 1040)
Oh dear god. I actually dragged my ass into the theatre to see that one. We wanted to cover our faces as we left.
"Claire of the Moon" is the "Patch Adams", "Ishtar", "Showgirls" of Lesbian cinema.
I'm still cringing.
But someday they will watch it at midnight showings and dress up and throw toast at the screen.
OK maybe not. If it had been a musical perhaps...
:eek:

I remember it clearly. I was in Lansing, MI. A HUGE group of us went. As we left, one of us stood in the aisle intently watching the credits.

We, not wanting to disturb her, asked her partner, "What's Max doing?"

Her partner rolled her eyes. "She's waiting for one redeeming quality."

We actually thought that we should picket the theater to prevent people from wasting their time and money.

Cyclopea 11-05-2009 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arwen (Post 1045)
I remember it clearly. I was in Lansing, MI. A HUGE group of us went. As we left, one of us stood in the aisle intently watching the credits.

We, not wanting to disturb her, asked her partner, "What's Max doing?"

Her partner rolled her eyes. "She's waiting for one redeeming quality."

We actually thought that we should picket the theater to prevent people from wasting their time and money.

Hahahaha That is hilarious!
God bless us all though for trying. Always looking for some good lez cinema.
*sigh*

Rook 02-14-2010 09:51 PM

Bumpety Bump:sunglass:

Outlaw 02-14-2010 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyclopea (Post 1048)
Always looking for some good lez cinema.
*sigh*

Ah, yes...that was Welcome Home, Roxy Carmichael, complete with " lesbian-issue sub-plot "

Toughy 02-14-2010 10:58 PM

I dunno................I think Salmonberries with KD Lang runs a close second or even beats Claire.....