Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Fluffy Stuff: Flirting, Humor, Chat (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   What are you reading? (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1589)

cathexis 10-04-2019 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firecat242 (Post 1253557)
the last days at hot slit by andrea dworkin. wow do we need this women now! It has prompted me to get some of her other work....intercourse and women hating. what she was saying the 70's and 80's still holds true. the times they may be changing but not at a very fast pace.

There are a few lesbian separatist writers that were popular back in the 70s-80s. I was fortunate to have been in college during that period.

Got into separatism pretty heavy until...The book by a collective named SAMOIS who published "Coming to Power" that caused a large rift between SM Leatherdykes and "mainstream" lesbian seps. Many Womyn's bookstores refusing to order any lesbian SM book titles. The two cities where I saw the largest engagement between the two factions were Albuquerque and Chicago.

Other separatist authors of note and worth reading are Sarah Lucia Hoagland, Mary Daly, and Whittig among others.

Bèsame* 10-19-2019 08:08 PM

A Lie
A Memoir of Two Marriages, Catfishing, and Coming Out

By William Dameron

And I have 3 more titles on hold. One is number 98 out of 99. I'll be reading that one next year, lol.

charley 10-20-2019 06:56 AM

"Coming to Power" [SAMOIS] vs. Lesbian seps.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cathexis (Post 1253829)
There are a few lesbian separatist writers that were popular back in the 70s-80s. I was fortunate to have been in college during that period.

Got into separatism pretty heavy until...The book by a collective named SAMOIS who published "Coming to Power" that caused a large rift between SM Leatherdykes and "mainstream" lesbian seps. Many Womyn's bookstores refusing to order any lesbian SM book titles. The two cities where I saw the largest engagement between the two factions were Albuquerque and Chicago.

Other separatist authors of note and worth reading are Sarah Lucia Hoagland, Mary Daly, and Whittig among others.

So, I am curious to understand what about "Coming to Power" influenced you towards SM or against seps? The word "until" caught my attention. Not sure I am phrasing the question correctly. But obviously, this book altered and moved you towards... towards what? Wonders what would your life been had you not read this book...? I say this because I don't think that just reading one book would alter the direction of one's life. Obviously there was something already in you that responded to something in that book.
Please understand I have not read this book.
Of course, I am vanilla - my empathy and sensitivity would preclude any involvement in SM. It was always so strong that even as a child, my parents would not mention to me any fact of anyone in the family who was sick or dying etc. since they were nervous about my reaction. I was always told afterwards, even years afterwards that someone had died. My parents were so dysfunctional... lol. Find it funny now.
Just curious. Thanks just for reading this, and for your consideration, anyways always interesting to read your posts.

Wrang1er 10-20-2019 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wrang1er (Post 1250141)
I just finished The Honey Bus by Meredith May. I LOVED this book. I highly recommend it.

I am just starting Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami.

I finally finished Norwegian Wood. It took me forever to get into the book. I actually stopped and read a few other books instead. However, I did pick it up again and finally it held my interest. I found myself wondering throughout the book where it was all headed. I can't say I've read anything like it before. The very end is bizarre. I actually googled it to see how others interpreted it. I would read this author again now that I am more prepared for his writing style.

Greco...you were right!

homoe 10-26-2019 06:41 AM

~~
November issue of Chicago Magazine......:glasses:

dark_crystal 10-26-2019 09:23 AM

A lot of sci-fi this week. Just finished these 2 (first via audio, second via print)

The Future of Another Timeline, By Annalee Newitz
From Annalee Newitz, founding editor of io9, comes a story of time travel, murder, and the lengths we'll go to protect the ones we love.

1992: After a confrontation at a riot grrl concert, seventeen-year-old Beth finds herself in a car with her friend's abusive boyfriend dead in the backseat, agreeing to help her friends hide the body. This murder sets Beth and her friends on a path of escalating violence and vengeance as they realize many other young women in the world need protecting too.

2022: Determined to use time travel to create a safer future, Tess has dedicated her life to visiting key moments in history and fighting for change. But rewriting the timeline isn’t as simple as editing one person or event. And just when Tess believes she's found a way to make an edit that actually sticks, she encounters a group of dangerous travelers bent on stopping her at any cost.

Tess and Beth’s lives intertwine as war breaks out across the timeline--a war that threatens to destroy time travel and leave only a small group of elites with the power to shape the past, present, and future. Against the vast and intricate forces of history and humanity, is it possible for a single person’s actions to echo throughout the timeline?
The Quiet War, By Paul Mcauley
Twenty-third century Earth, ravaged by climate change, looks backwards to the holy ideal of a pre-industrial Eden. Political power has been grabbed by a few powerful families and their green saints. Millions of people are imprisoned in teeming cities; millions more labour on Pharaonic projects to rebuild ruined ecosystems. On the moons of Jupiter and Saturn, the Outers, descendants of refugees from Earth's repressive regimes, have constructed a wild variety of self-sufficient cities and settlements: scientific utopias crammed with exuberant creations of the genetic arts; the last outposts of every kind of democratic tradition.

The fragile detente between the Outer cities and the dynasties of Earth is threatened by the ambitions of the rising generation of Outers, who want to break free of their cosy, inward-looking pocket paradises, colonise the rest of the Solar System, and drive human evolution in a hundred new directions. On Earth, many demand pre-emptive action against the Outers before it's too late; others want to exploit the talents of their scientists and gene wizards. Amid campaigns for peace and reconciliation, political machinations, crude displays of military might, and espionage by cunningly wrought agents, the two branches of humanity edge towards war . . .

bright_arrow 10-26-2019 05:01 PM

In the middle of Stephen King's "The Outsider"

Finished his "Elevate" and "The Institute" these last two weeks. Next is the free one I received for being a Amazon Prime member - Janelle Harris "Under Lying"

dark_crystal 10-27-2019 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bright_arrow (Post 1255384)
In the middle of Stephen King's "The Outsider"

Finished his "Elevate" and "The Institute" these last two weeks. Next is the free one I received for being a Amazon Prime member - Janelle Harris "Under Lying"

I am reading Cujo right now for one of my book clubs. I hadn't read any Stephen King since the 90s but i plowed through the first half without even looking up.

For many years i was a snob about genre fiction and horror fiction especially, but King is finding whole new generations of readers now and everything you read about him as a person is just so wonderful. I may read a whole bunch more!

RebelDyke 10-27-2019 10:35 AM

The Body Keeps the Score

bright_arrow 10-27-2019 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dark_crystal (Post 1255478)
I am reading Cujo right now for one of my book clubs. I hadn't read any Stephen King since the 90s but i plowed through the first half without even looking up.

For many years i was a snob about genre fiction and horror fiction especially, but King is finding whole new generations of readers now and everything you read about him as a person is just so wonderful. I may read a whole bunch more!

I love King and have been reading him for 20 years!

Kätzchen 10-31-2019 10:29 PM

Before I go see Edward Norton's movie Motherless Brooklyn, I am going to read a 1974 classic biography written by Robert Caro: The Power Broker: Robert Moses and the Fall of New York.

It's biographic account of Robert Moses' life and how his prejudice toward people of color was baked into the fabric of structure of bridges and road ways of the surrounding NYC area. It's an period piece which examines how corruption can harm cities. I am on the wait list for the book and hope to read it soon.

Vincent 11-01-2019 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kätzchen (Post 1255841)
Before I go see Edward Norton's movie Motherless Brooklyn, I am going to read a 1974 classic biography written by Robert Caro: The Power Broker: Robert Moses and the Fall of New York.

It's biographic account of Robert Moses' life and how his prejudice toward people of color was baked into the fabric of structure of bridges and road ways of the surrounding NYC area. It's an period piece which examines how corruption can harm cities. I am on the wait list for the book and hope to read it soon.

Democracy now ,had a special on the fires deliberatly lit in the South Bronx,to rid the area of the poor and POC,and the resistance and resil;iance of the community.

I'm reading an Australian classic AB facey-A fortunate life

Orema 11-03-2019 06:47 AM

Am reading about colorism around the world (part of the Shades of Black series) at The Guardian found at this link: https://www.theguardian.com/membersh...ies-race-issue. The series is very good

Unlike mainstream media outlets in the states, The Guardian has articles on race and its effect everyday. https://www.theguardian.com/world/race. Lucky me to have stumbled on it.

Kätzchen 11-23-2019 03:55 PM

Native Realm: A Search for Self Definition (Czéslaw Milösz, 1911-2004)

https://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images...2;osz--010.jpg

Here's a book review of Native Realm: A Search for Self Definition (1968) tendered by The Guardian (LINK).

Martina 12-05-2019 09:00 AM

I usually don't have a big stack. In fact I can't understand people who are constantly reading 8 books or something. I usually have A book. It's MY book. If I misplace it, there's panic. It's like an essential item of comfort and security until I'm finished. Then it's just a book again. That said, I have a stack right now.

Roman Myths by Michael Grant
Walter Benjamin at the Dairy Queen by Larry McMurtry
The Fifth Head of Cerberus by Gene Wolf
The Diabetes Code by Dr. Jason Fung
Rusty Brown by Chris Ware
The Oxford Book of Classical Verse in Translation
Spanish Ballads translated by W.S. Merwin
The Homeric Hymns translated by
Diane Rayor

The problem with this is that I have coming in the mail:

The Club: Johnson, Boswell, and the Friends who Shaped an Age by Leo Damrosch
Fortunes of War: The Balkan Trilogy by Olivia Manning
Ale, Beer, and Brewsters in England: Women's Work in a Changing World 1300-1600 by Janet
Bennett
The Lost Man by Jane Harper
Roumeli: Travels in Northern Greece by Patrick Lee Fermor

Bèsame* 12-05-2019 09:50 AM

Another book on Reese Witherspoon's book club

The Other Woman....Sandie Jones

I won't copy and paste any reviews, just this little blimp:

Fiendishly twisty psychological thriller about a man, his new girlfriend, and the mother who will never let him go.

homoe 12-05-2019 10:22 AM

I'd posted somewhere about.......

One Walk in Winter by Georgia Beers

Completely lesbian romance fluff but just what I was in the mood for....

SPOILER.........

And of course yes she gets the girls.......

jools66 12-29-2019 09:19 AM

The miseducation of cameron post

This book was recommended by either kris Bryant or Dyking Out.
But what a book. You get so absorbed in it.
A truly remarkable story that is part based on true events.
The film however is one of the worst film adaptions i have ever had the misfortune to watch.
Unlike the book where you connect profoundly with cameron.
The film doesn't manage to achieve whats so ever.
Just stick with the book.
Its s real gem

dark_crystal 12-29-2019 10:16 AM

Since Christmas i have read four novels by Blake Crouch: Recursion as well as the Wayward Pines trilogy.

Highly recommended for just being absorbing as heck

Orema 01-04-2020 07:14 AM

Zami: A New Spelling of My Name by Audre Lord