Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Fluffy Stuff: Flirting, Humor, Chat (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   What are you reading? (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1589)

Enigma 06-01-2010 11:04 PM

D. H. Lawrence and the Body Mystical
by Frederick Carter

at this moment... this passage:

"...mysticism is the means through which man seeks within himself the secret springs of life that are common to all things alive, existing in the greatest as in the least. It seeks, too, the very extent of life, finding a kinship and the stirrings of a mutual state of being in unsuspected places. Contemplative, the mind withdraws from too close contact, the better to envisage the rushing stream of existence..."

Venus007 06-01-2010 11:29 PM

The Children of Hurin
By JRR Tolkien as compiled and edited by Christopher Tolkien

Martina 06-02-2010 12:36 AM

The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova. i think she lives in Ann Arbor. Pretty engrossing. Vampires and research in old archives.

Lady_Wu 06-13-2010 09:25 AM

What are you reading?

For study, I'm reading Taoist yoga: Alchemy and Immortality by Lu K'uan Yu and Holding Yin, Embracing Yang trans. by Eva Wong. For fun, I'm listening to Off Season by Ann Rivers Siddon and reading Digging to America by Anne Tyler. All highly recommended!

Linus 06-13-2010 09:33 AM

I'm still slogging through The Elegant Universe. I want to get through that before I start others. I am also going through some manuals/PDFs for work as well in preparation for a new course.

No fiction or other books for the time being.

Semantics 06-13-2010 09:45 AM

I'm reading Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions.

It's about a two dimensional world inhabited by sentient geometric shapes. One of the main characters, a square, discovers another dimension and sends everything into an uproar.

It was written 125 years ago and while it's a book about science/ math/ physics it also touches on a lot of the sociological issues of that time.

Kätzchen 06-13-2010 12:58 PM

Bernard, Ted. (2010). Hope and Hard Times: Communities, Collaboration and Sustainability. Gabriola Island, BC, Canada: New Society Publishers.

rawk 06-13-2010 01:03 PM

Severed book about the Black Dahlia murder.

Kätzchen 06-14-2010 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Semantics (Post 129190)
I'm reading Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions.

It's about a two dimensional world inhabited by sentient geometric shapes. One of the main characters, a square, discovers another dimension and sends everything into an uproar.

It was written 125 years ago and while it's a book about science/ math/ physics it also touches on a lot of the sociological issues of that time.

I bet I would like this book (story) a lot!

waxnrope 06-14-2010 07:31 AM

I'm reading Faith and Feminism: A Holy Alliance by Helen LaKelly Hunt.
There's a reason that I read this, that is not a topic for this thread. However, there is an introduction by Gloria Steinem. The usual proclamations of universality, which caused grief for second wave feminist, such as Steinem, continues in bits of this book ~ and that creates some angst for me. Otherwise, it is early on so far in the reading, it is informative and challenging at times.

Lady_Wu 06-14-2010 05:09 PM

Re: Flatland and other books

Flatland has a sequel, though I cannot remember the name of it. I don't believe that the sequel was written by the same author, since it was written many years after Flatland. I'll try to find out the name of it. I have my very own personal librarian:detective:at the Library of Congress in Charleston.:)
I have added a book to my studies: Holding Yin, Embracing Yang trans. Eva Wong. This is really helping me understand the Taoist Yoga trans. Lu K'uam Yu.

My thanks to everyone who responds to this thread. As a longtime addict to bookdust, I'm always curious to know what others are reading.

I am writing again these days. You can find my poems in the POETRY section of the forums. I am writing a book by way of a blog called THE NAMELESS GATE. This is a series of reflections started by words of different authors. You can find it at URL:
http:/thenamelessgate-returntothewuchi.blogspot.com
Comments, both on the poems and the blog entries, will be much appreciated!
Namaste!
Lady_Wu

Lady_Wu 06-14-2010 05:17 PM

Re: OOPS!

I'd already said I was reading Holding Yin, Embracing Yang! My apologies for the repetition.:| I blame on my poor short-term memory!
Lady_Wu

Fancy 06-14-2010 06:23 PM

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life
by: Barbara Kingsolver

So far, not just a journal-esque style account of one family's change, but stuffed full of interesting facts about resources on Earth. I'm loving it, because it's easier to digest and more down-to-Earth than The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals.

Bon Appétit

JakeTulane 06-14-2010 06:58 PM

Right now I have a few books going (which is the norm.. I read whichever one jumps out at Me at any given time)

My niece and nephew talked Me into going through the Harry Potter series. I liked all of the movies and did think I would like the books. I was wrong. I am just now finishing the 3rd. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.

I am also reading Awearness by Kenneth Cole. A wonderful book on famous and not famous people who do all sorts of volunteer work and giving back to the World and Earth. Very Inspiring. I highly recommend it.

Also, Gore Vidal: A Biography by Fred Kaplan.

Finally - The Code: 10 Intentions for a Better World (Use the Laws of Manifestation to Achieve Your Highest Good) by Tony Burroughs. I highly, highly recommend this book... this is the second perusal I have done with it.

In this book the 10 Intentions for a Better World are:

1. Support Life

2. Seek Truth

3. Set Your Course

4. Simplify

5. Stay Positive

6. Synchronize

7. Serve Others

8. Shine Your Light

9. Share Your Vision

10. Synergize

A great read. nods.

UofMfan 06-14-2010 07:51 PM

Hegemony or Survival: America's Quest for Global Dominance. ~ Noam Chomsky

For the second time, as I wait for my new books to arrive.

always2late 06-14-2010 08:01 PM

Perfection by Julie Metz and Too Much Happiness by Alice Munro

cane 06-14-2010 10:40 PM

I'm reading The Saga of Gösta Berling - Selma Lagerlöf (Nobelprice 1909), must have read it a hundred times, simply love it...

afixer 06-15-2010 07:38 PM

Semantics 06-15-2010 07:50 PM

I just finished a book today called In the Woods by Tana French.

It was awful. I trudged my way through it to try and find out the answer to the mystery and, well, I'm just going to stop there because I don't want to ruin it for anyone.

My advice? Don't bother. :lol2:

JakeTulane 06-17-2010 07:46 AM

Well, I am now 6 chapters into the 4th Harry Potter book - Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. I am still truly amazed at how much I am enjoying the read of this series. I had serious doubts.

Oh, and My list is still the same as the earlier post. Just the Harry Potter change-up.

:tea: