Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Fluffy Stuff: Flirting, Humor, Chat (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   What are you reading? (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1589)

Jesse 08-08-2010 11:21 PM

I am enjoying it greatly :) Hope you can find it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by softness (Post 171078)
OH! I have been wanting to read that book! I am going to see if I cant get it at the library when I go to the hospital for my surgery. I want to bring a few books so I can read and not just watch TV all day.

christie 08-09-2010 06:57 AM

I just finished Archeron by Sherrilyn Kenyon. Out of all the Dark Hunter series I have read (to date), its my fav by a landslide!

I have the latest Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse waiting in the wings. I may have to go back and read Naamah's Kiss again to remind myself of the storyline. I HATE books in a series with such a length of time between releases!

BBinNYC 08-09-2010 08:30 AM

Hello Readers

Joining thread...

I usually read a fair amount, though because I read The New Yorker every week, it cuts into my book time. About a month ago, I started reading with a Kindle DX and since then I have been reading non-stop. I have a wish list on the Kindle and every time I finish one book, I just download another. It's something I didn't think I'd enjoy as much as I do, but it really changes a lot about reading.

Here's what I've read on the Kindle:

Insignificant Others - Stephen Macauley - a book about a gay man in middle age and about relationship choices. Set in Boston, where I lived for many years, I enjoyed reading a story taking place in a city that I know and love.

Girl in Translation - Jean Kwok - about the Chinese immigrant experience in NYC. Very well written and moving.

The Frozen Rabbi - Steve Stern - the second book of his I've read. It's a magical realism with a twist of Hasidism about a family that has kept a celebrated rabbi frozen for generations until he thaws out in a power outage. A wonderful book.

The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake - also magical realism about a girl who tastes the emotions of the people who have cooked the food she eats. Really well done and recommended.

I also read The Help (pre-Kindle) and like it tremendously. I can see why it's been on the best seller list forever.

Looking forward to hearing more about what all of you are reading.

BBinNYC

Abigail Crabby 08-09-2010 08:39 AM

I'm currently reading Stephen Kings, Under the Dome.

Being a mega King fan, I'm thrilled to find new material by him.

Lady_Wu 08-09-2010 09:38 AM

Reading now....

For my studies I am reading Taoist Yoga: Alchemy and Immortality; Holding Yin, Embracing Yang, and Nourishing the Essence of the Body, and The Essential Tao. For my Buddhist studies, I am reading Hinayana; The Heart Sutra; The Lotus Sutra; and The Path. For fun I am reading Honesty and Death and listening to Books: A Memoir.
Think that's enough?
Lady_Wu:glasses:

leatherfaery 08-09-2010 05:47 PM

finishing

Finishing Running with Scissors by Augusten Burroughs then going to start reading Ordinary Men by Christopher R Browning

Laerkin 08-09-2010 05:50 PM

Just loaded my new eReader up with "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" and got almost halfway through it today. Then I start "Bullet" by Laurell Hamilton. And "Before Roe v. Wade: Voices that Shaped the Abortion Debate" for my book club.

Ryobi 08-09-2010 06:08 PM

"Aristotle and an Aardvark go to Washington." Understanding political doublespeak through philosophy and jokes. by, Thomas Cathcart and Daniel Klien

It has both cracked me up and made me mad at times. sometimes at the same time.

Next I want to read by them, "Plato and a Platypus walk into a bar"

afixer 08-10-2010 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBinNYC (Post 171192)

The Frozen Rabbi - Steve Stern - the second book of his I've read. It's a magical realism with a twist of Hasidism about a family that has kept a celebrated rabbi frozen for generations until he thaws out in a power outage. A wonderful book.

The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake - also magical realism about a girl who tastes the emotions of the people who have cooked the food she eats.

so I read this post last night and went to Barnes an Noble this morning.

The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake looks fascinating. I have thoughts about the food I eat and who's preparing it...weird I know.

Darth Denkay 08-15-2010 05:32 PM

I've read both Ishmael books. I think they should be required reading for everyone on the planet. Haven't read Story of B - what did you think?

Quote:

Originally Posted by softness (Post 171077)
I am about to read The Story of B. Its by the author of Ishmeal. Has anyone read either book? I read Ishmael and enjoyed it. It was a life changing book for my daughter, much like Johnathon Livingston Seagull was for me when i was her age.

Leader 08-15-2010 06:19 PM

All E-Books..

Linchpin, by Seth Godin
Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Save the Cat, Blake Snyder
Story, Robert McKee

Rook 08-15-2010 09:20 PM

Angelology by Danielle Trussoni
Yup still reading it, every so often I get curious and Scan the Internet looking into key subjects or names I find peaks my interest and the Authors picture on the Cover is hawt too-cough-...there's rumors it will be made into Film, Awesome !!!

Here's a nifty Link I loooove
http://www.steliart.com/angelology_angelic_orders.html

Re-Reading "Watership Down", "The Last Unicorn"

afixer 08-16-2010 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by afixer (Post 171948)
so I read this post last night and went to Barnes an Noble this morning.

The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake looks fascinating. I have thoughts about the food I eat and who's preparing it...weird I know.

I loved this book
I'm going to get her other book when I finish this.

BBinNYC 08-16-2010 08:04 PM

I loved Angelology as well. It's a step up from the Dan Brown books. A real page turner.

Soon 08-16-2010 09:23 PM

Change Me Into Zeus's Daughter--Barbara Robinette Moss

I just finished reading her other (first...I did it backwards) memoir, Fierce, so I am kind of overwhelmed with this protagonist and her family ... I keep putting the book down to take a break.

nycfem 08-16-2010 09:49 PM

Are they both memoirs?

Quote:

Originally Posted by HowSoonIsNow (Post 176328)
Change Me Into Zeus's Daughter--Barbara Robinette Moss

I just finished reading her other (first...I did it backwards) memoir, Fierce, so I am kind of overwhelmed with this protagonist and her family ... I keep putting the book down to take a break.

Stearns 08-16-2010 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nycfembbw (Post 176343)
Are they both memoirs?

Answering for Soon, who has already closed up her laptop. Yes, they are both memoirs.

daisygrrl 08-17-2010 04:16 AM

I've been away for a few days (a week or two?) while I relocated and there's so much vibrancy in this thread--thank you all!

Currently, I'm rereading bell hooks' Talking Back: Thinking Feminist, Thinking Black as motivation for this new semester of teaching. I really do enjoy most of her work...

Hugs to all of you fabulous readers! :)

Soon 08-17-2010 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daisygrrl (Post 176434)
I've been away for a few days (a week or two?) while I relocated and there's so much vibrancy in this thread--thank you all!

Currently, I'm rereading bell hooks' Talking Back: Thinking Feminist, Thinking Black as motivation for this new semester of teaching. I really do enjoy most of her work...

Hugs to all of you fabulous readers! :)

I had the opportunity to listen to her read and speak when I was in uni (years ago!).

She gave me a lot to think about and was a fascinating speaker.

EnderD_503 08-17-2010 02:32 PM

8 Traits Successful People Have in Common by Richard St. John

A book that was passed on to me and was told it was interesting. It's alright so far.