Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hobbies, Crafts, Interests (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Movies anyone? (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=135)

Mitmo01 11-07-2009 07:02 AM

Movies anyone?

What movies are you interested in seeing or have you seen one lately, share with us your critiques, or whatever youd like regarding cinema...

Mitmo01 11-07-2009 07:04 AM

I want to see Precious, I remember having to read the book for a class in college and being utterly blown away by Sapphires story. If this movie is halfway as good as the book it will be powerful

Wickedsuzi 11-07-2009 07:12 AM

I'd like to see Precious also.... but the movie I'm DYING to see is..... get ready........ NEW MOON!!! {hearing the sound of collective groans} YES I'm an unapologetic Twilighter!! I'm really considering doing my final paper in psych on it... and have already done the requisite poll. It's truly interesting to hear the differences in opinions expressed. 13 More DAYZ!!!!:D

Leigh 11-07-2009 10:01 AM

I have a few movies that I wanna see:

1) New Moon (yes I love the Twilight series too)
2) 2012
3) A Christmas Carol with Jim Carrey
4) Astro Boy - I remember watching this as a kid and it was one of My favorite shows
5) The Vampire's Assistant
6) Paranormal Activity
7) The Fourth Kind

Lately the movies I've seen and love are Cloudy with A Chance of Meatballs and Couples Retreat ........ both hilarious movies that I really enjoyed seeing :)

dixie 11-07-2009 10:07 AM

-New Moon (which I already have tickets for the midnight opening show ..lol)
-Paranormal Activity
-Fourth Kind
-Stepfather

Andrew, Jr. 11-07-2009 01:45 PM

Movies I want to see:

Paranormal Activity
Fourth Kind (a true story)
Precious

Jet 11-07-2009 02:07 PM

Amelia
The Box

Mitmo01 11-07-2009 07:57 PM

I saw the trailer for the new twilight movie and im really interested in the baddies---the volturis-- i think i wanna see it for them and the lycans

i also just watched a teaser trailer for Angelina Jolies new movie coming out next summer called "Salt" she plays a CIA interrogator who might be a russian assassian, it looks awesome i dont want to wait for next summer to see it lol
the role was originally for tom cruise but he backed out and they re-wrote the script specifically for her i love politcal thrillers

another movie im interested in is a remake of an israeli movie called "The Debt" starring Helen Mirren--she plays a mossad agent in it and learned hebrew for the role--cant wait to see that one as well

Abigail Crabby 11-07-2009 08:20 PM

New Moon
Fourth Kind
The Vampires Assistant
A Christmas Carol with Jim Carrey

Diva 11-07-2009 09:41 PM

I want to see 2012, but someone needs to go with me in the daytime so I can rip their arm off and I won't have nightmares.

I also want to see Precious and the new Sandra Bullock movie.....the name I cannot recall.

~Diva

Scorp 11-07-2009 09:49 PM

Same here Diva, I definitely want to see 2012.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diva (Post 1838)
I want to see 2012, but someone needs to go with me in the daytime so I can rip their arm off and I won't have nightmares.

I also want to see Precious and the new Sandra Bullock movie.....the name I cannot recall.

~Diva

Diva 11-07-2009 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scorp (Post 1839)
Same here Diva, I definitely want to see 2012.

The special effects on the trailer look absolutely amazing! Even on my teeny~tiny tv!!! I can't imagine what they'll be like on the big screen!!!

Diva 11-07-2009 09:59 PM

The Blind Side is the name of the new Sandra Bullock movie....I just saw the trailer/commercial! Yea!

~Diva

Mitmo01 11-08-2009 10:58 PM

http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi1217987865/

this is what i want to see

pajama 11-08-2009 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mitmo01 (Post 1802)
I saw the trailer for the new twilight movie and im really interested in the baddies---the volturis-- i think i wanna see it for them and the lycans

I remember reading the book, and that scene when they heard the people in for 'dinner'. I remember thinking, "well thank gods, there are actually some real vampires in this book" uggh. That's the last one in the series I read.

I'm looking forward to Boondock Saints II, All Saint's Day, although I really feel that Boondock Saints is a one shot deal. Curious to see how it goes.

And definitely YES to The Blind Side, looked amazing. When she threatens those thugs for messing with her family...totally Awesome!

A

Eddie 11-08-2009 11:58 PM

Paranormal Activity and Fourth Kind so far.

Fourth Kind is not a true story. They are setting it up the way Blair Witch was set up to make the public believe it was a true story. :D

Softly 11-09-2009 03:18 AM

new moon!
still need to see the new SAW.

We watched this movie called Antichrist last night and I was bored to tears BUT it was VERY interesting. not sure how it could be so good and so bad at the same time. It's a fucked up movie.

Antichrist
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0870984/

Waldo 11-10-2009 05:46 PM

Saw The Men Who Stare At Goats last night and thought it was brilliant. Truly hilarious. George Clooney was magic.

Jett 11-16-2009 10:43 AM

Saw "Fourth Kind" last week... I'd give it 3 1/2 outta five stars.

...today I have a date to see the one I've been waiting for...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zY_pTTp2QBs"]YouTube- Adam Lambert - 2012 - Time for Miracles FULL VERSION[/ame]

Gemme 11-16-2009 11:28 PM

I haven't been to a movie theatre in months! I prefer to go out to movies with someone and I just haven't been able to meet up with anyone to see the ones I'd like to.

I'm all in for The Blind Side and, yes, even New Moon although I am NOT a Twilighter. I just like hot teenage violence, apparently. :bow:

2012 looks interesting. I might see it eventually.

Arwen 11-16-2009 11:47 PM

Oh I am such a geek...I'm totally excited that Star Trek ( the new old one) releases on DVD tomorrow.

In the theaters?

• The Blind Side (read the story on CNN and it was amazing)
  • New Moon
  • The Vampire's Assistant
  • Red Cliffs

2012 sounds good but I'm going to wait for the DVD most likely. Sounds too scary to me to go see it. It would give me nightmares. The evening news can give me nightmares. LOL

redrose 12-14-2009 07:15 AM

hmmm

Rome and Juliet ...

Mitmo01 12-14-2009 09:19 AM

I want to see the new Sherlock Holmes movie I love Guy Ritchies movies--RocknRolla kicked ass--not as much ass as Lock, Stock, and Two smoking barrels but it was good

The Lovely Bones--Im not much of a fiction reader but this book was on a coworkers desk a few years ago and we were slow at work, I read the entire thing at work and i was mesmerized

and I think im on the Avatar bandwagon----at the Imax i believe

daisygrrl 12-14-2009 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mitmo01 (Post 21329)

The Lovely Bones--Im not much of a fiction reader but this book was on a coworkers desk a few years ago and we were slow at work, I read the entire thing at work and i was mesmerized

I was so taken with the non-fiction version (by the same author about her experiences) entitled Lucky that I couldn't read Lovely Bones. But, I'm very anxious to see the film.

Also, for those Kristen Stewart fans: she was also in a sort of B-movie entitled Speak, which is pretty good and based on Young Adult book with the same title. I recommend both the book & film--the ways it portrays with the trauma experienced after rape is exceptional, in my opinion.

Robert Pattinson (better known as "Edward") also starred in Little Ashes (2008), which is about the romance between Salvador Dali (surrealist artist) & Federico García Lorca (political poet). I think it's a wonderful film to view on the screen with a glass of wine; the historical stuff is great but some of the cinematography effects were a bit over-the-top for me.

This is a fabulous thread!

Mitmo01 12-14-2009 10:18 AM

ah I forgot to mention that we saw the move "precious" based on Sapphires book " Push" which was a phenomenal read

the movie was true to the book and its adaptation did the book semi-justice for such a heartwrenching story.....amazing that we humans still have the capacity for resilience after what you can be put through as a child...im sure some oscar nominations will be handed out to this cast---Mo'nique should get a nod just for her portrayal of the mother and how she captures the sinister nature of absolute selfishness.....she was amazing and evil all at the same time

Jet 12-18-2009 08:33 PM

precious was one of the worst movies I've ever seen and should have stayed a book. I don't like the surreal transitions and the vignette style of composition.

WILDCAT 12-19-2009 07:29 AM

GOOD THREAD!

I LOVE critiquing movies!!! (Especially afterwards, discussing with it a love or a close friend! )

Any Quentin Tarantino fans here? Blaze of Glory is now coming out, or just did - on DVD and I want to see it. It is in good Quentin form? (Worth purchasing?)

I LOVED going to movies in the Big Apple, but here at the cabin, well... I just don't get to the "BIG SCREEN" too often here - if you know what I mean!

WILD

*Oh, is the "Netflix?" a paid for internet site for newer movie watching? How does that work? Anyone here belong, or subscribe? It might be good for me being tucked away a bit and loving movies so much. Is there a limit? A minimun? Or you must pay a set fee amount no matter what - and by the movie too, or... only by each movie? Or both? Never mind, duh! I'll look it up! Any opinion by anyone would be appreciated though! Thanks.

Arwen 12-20-2009 11:18 AM

Sunshine Cleaning

Wildcat, I used to belong to Netflix but switched to the Blockbuster version because I had a store close by. That way I could take the movies mailed to me and return them at the store for MORE movies. Loved it.

I watched a ton of movies when I did that.

Just saw Sunshine Cleaning with Amy Adams, Alan Arkin and Emily Blunt. Would never have heard of it if not for my friend, OrganicButch. Hy heard about it from another friend.

Whoa. A really intriguing little film that made me stop and think. The premise is that an ex-cheerleader (head cheerleader even) [Amy Adams] who dated the captain of the football team is now cleaning houses trying to make ends meet. She's also a single mom of a very precocious, intelligent little boy. I think he's around 8 or 9 in the movie. Her sister[Emily Blunt] is pretty much useless and a royal screw-up who just can't do anything right.

Alan Arkin is the dad who is constantly onto his next big money-maker. He constantly promises but rarely delivers. He raised the two girls after their mother's death when they were young. When Rose translates her cleaning skills into a bio-hazard cleaning company, his response is so subtle. You don't really know why until a bit later in the movie but I don't want to give that away.

The movie explored some really emotional themes for me including the loss of a parent and how death affects us in such different ways. There is a really small side lesbian part. It was interesting but not really that important to the movie in my opinion.

The Amy Adams character (Rose) has the bulk of the character arc but her dad (Arkin) and sister (Blunt) both do show growth and development. I found this movie to have emotional chops as well as some really funny comedic moments. And when they blended them together is when this movie really (sun)shined for me.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0862846/ is the IMDB page.

Mitmo01 12-20-2009 11:33 AM

Netflix is awesome and very very valuble if you like movies

you can instantly stream movies to your computer or your bluray player as part of the subscription and its worth its weight in gold

Quentin Tarentino is one of my fav directors---i love the dialogue in his movies, I love how he captures the inane way people talk and also the way that his characters are insane but sane at the same time---like real life

Im going to watch a great movie with Viggo Mortensen and Naomi Watts, directed by David Cronenberg called "Eastern Promises" if you havent seen it you should check it out

Random 12-20-2009 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ol' Jet (Post 23120)
precious was one of the worst movies I've ever seen and should have stayed a book. I don't like the surreal transitions and the vignette style of composition.

While I didn't think it was one of the worst movies.. I do have to agree that I didn't really enjoy the daydream sequence.. I also didn't like that they left her poetry out of the movie...

I do think that other than those points, they did a fantastic joy if translating the book into film.... It was probably one of the most honest translations that I have ever seen.

I don't ever want to the movie again..

Queerasfck 12-20-2009 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ms Cyn (Post 23661)
While I didn't think it was one of the worst movies.. I do have to agree that I didn't really enjoy the daydream sequence.. I also didn't like that they left her poetry out of the movie...

I do think that other than those points, they did a fantastic joy if translating the book into film.... It was probably one of the most honest translations that I have ever seen.

I don't ever want to the movie again..

Ms Cyn, I agree. I thought they did a really good job translating the book into a film. But it's not a movie I'll want to watch again. I knew about the book and had read some reviews of the film. I had a pretty good idea about what I would be watching. I wouldn't say it was a pleasurable movie experience, in fact while watching the film I got very uncomfortable at times. Sort of like how I felt while watching Schindler's List. Very moving, very well acted but incredibly sad.

NotAnAverageGuy 12-20-2009 05:43 PM

The Blind Side was awesome

hippieflowergirl 12-20-2009 06:24 PM

just watched The Rape of Europa for a 2d time. super good. moving on to Food, Inc. now.

weatherboi 12-20-2009 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hippieflowergirl (Post 23788)
just watched The Rape of Europa for a 2d time. super good. moving on to Food, Inc. now.

Food Inc is awesome...Enjoy!!

hippieflowergirl 12-20-2009 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weatherboi (Post 23794)
Food Inc is awesome...Enjoy!!

yaaaaaaaaaaay!

Gemme 12-21-2009 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WILDCAT (Post 23256)
*Oh, is the "Netflix?" a paid for internet site for newer movie watching? How does that work? Anyone here belong, or subscribe? It might be good for me being tucked away a bit and loving movies so much. Is there a limit? A minimun? Or you must pay a set fee amount no matter what - and by the movie too, or... only by each movie? Or both? Never mind, duh! I'll look it up! Any opinion by anyone would be appreciated though! Thanks.

Netflix is awesome. You sign up, pick movies and they are sent to your house within one business day. You watch the movies, send them back and get more picks at your house. Rinse, lather and repeat. I think the price being promoted now is $9/month.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arwen (Post 23644)
Wildcat, I used to belong to Netflix but switched to the Blockbuster version because I had a store close by. That way I could take the movies mailed to me and return them at the store for MORE movies. Loved it.

I watched a ton of movies when I did that.

Just saw Sunshine Cleaning with Amy Adams, Alan Arkin and Emily Blunt. Would never have heard of it if not for my friend, OrganicButch. Hy heard about it from another friend.

Whoa. A really intriguing little film that made me stop and think. The premise is that an ex-cheerleader (head cheerleader even) [Amy Adams] who dated the captain of the football team is now cleaning houses trying to make ends meet. She's also a single mom of a very precocious, intelligent little boy. I think he's around 8 or 9 in the movie. Her sister[Emily Blunt] is pretty much useless and a royal screw-up who just can't do anything right.

Alan Arkin is the dad who is constantly onto his next big money-maker. He constantly promises but rarely delivers. He raised the two girls after their mother's death when they were young. When Rose translates her cleaning skills into a bio-hazard cleaning company, his response is so subtle. You don't really know why until a bit later in the movie but I don't want to give that away.

The movie explored some really emotional themes for me including the loss of a parent and how death affects us in such different ways. There is a really small side lesbian part. It was interesting but not really that important to the movie in my opinion.

The Amy Adams character (Rose) has the bulk of the character arc but her dad (Arkin) and sister (Blunt) both do show growth and development. I found this movie to have emotional chops as well as some really funny comedic moments. And when they blended them together is when this movie really (sun)shined for me.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0862846/ is the IMDB page.

I absolutely loved this movie even if the part with the mattress totally squicked me out.

daisygrrl 12-22-2009 09:45 AM

I'm a bit behind in the recommendations that my friends have given me, but I just finished Transamerica (2005).

I was pleased to see that the main protagonist, a transititioning Male-to-Female, was portrayed by a female actress (instead of a male actor). I don't watch Desperate Housewives (or anything, really, with any regularity), but I thought that Felicity Huffman did well in the role.

WILDCAT 12-22-2009 05:52 PM

Thanks for the feedback Arwen. I did the "thanks" button, but it is not registering. Perhaps you still got the rep though, or it will eventually show here.

Gemme, thank you too. I was thinking it was more along the lines of what Mitmo was stating - like you could download movies through the internet (?) I don't know anything about Blue-Ray yet... how that would apply through my PC.

But, to "send the DVD's back", you mean they must be mailed then, within a certain time frame? I get snowed in sometimes here. So, can you "just do" either Netflix or Blockbuster ONLY via the computer/internet?
__

So, Mitmo, have you seen Blades of Glory then yet? I LOVE his movies!! Heroes REALLY stunned me!! (I think I have that title correct with regards to him). And, I could watch the Kill Bill movies over and over. I have quite a library here, and I occasionally can buy new releases at our one grocery store. (Yep, it's totally a "one horse town".)
__

Transamerica. I have wanted to see that movie since I first heard about it and - still have yet to! I am so far behind in my movie watching. The closest town with a movie theater can't always stay open (for lack of business), and keeps changing hands. Renting would be a drive either way I go, and to return timely without late fees feels like pressure. Joykill for movie watching then here. And I dumped my Dish Network after years of being with them, as they were screwing us folks with the older Dish. (Charging us for newer channels that we could not pick up.) And my cable here is just terrible.

I'm not complaining, it's just the way it is.

SO, it's down to my computer. I was only able to get high speed this past year. But, at least I have it now!!

So, suggestions on what would be best choice for internet only, nothing requiring mailing? Anything? Nine bucks a month is a very good deal!! If I can do that just downloading here!

Thanks,
WILDCAT

always2late 12-22-2009 06:42 PM

Has anyone seen the trailer for "Legion"? Looks like it could go one of two ways...really awesome, or totally sucky.

Gemme 12-22-2009 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WILDCAT (Post 24630)
Gemme, thank you too. I was thinking it was more along the lines of what Mitmo was stating - like you could download movies through the internet (?) I don't know anything about Blue-Ray yet... how that would apply through my PC.

But, to "send the DVD's back", you mean they must be mailed then, within a certain time frame? I get snowed in sometimes here. So, can you "just do" either Netflix or Blockbuster ONLY via the computer/internet?

So, suggestions on what would be best choice for internet only, nothing requiring mailing? Anything? Nine bucks a month is a very good deal!! If I can do that just downloading here!

Thanks,
WILDCAT

No worries. You can do it all with Netflix. There's no time frame. That's one of the things that makes it so awesome. You keep the movies as long as you want and when they get those back from you, they send out others on your list. When you sign up, you make a list and, from what I'm told, you can add to the list at any time. So, you know what you are getting but some of them come sooner than others so it's still a bit of a surprise.

If you pay for the service, you can watch some of the movies off of the Netflix site. No downloading, though, I don't believe.

Blockbuster took what Netflix does and came up with something between what they had and what Netflix has. So it's similar in process.