Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Fluffy Stuff: Flirting, Humor, Chat (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   What are you reading? (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1589)

Jesse 09-07-2013 08:46 AM

Deep Survival-
Who Lives,
Who Dies,
and Why
- Laurence Gonzales

ONLY 09-07-2013 09:13 AM

The Hunger Games. Saw the movie last summer but thought I would check out the book.

Jesse 09-07-2013 09:35 AM

I haven't seen the movie yet, but the trilogy is really good.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ONLY (Post 841907)
The Hunger Games. Saw the movie last summer but thought I would check out the book.

nycfem 09-07-2013 09:57 AM

Love these types of books. If you get a chance, report back on what you think of it :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jesse (Post 841902)
Deep Survival-
Who Lives,
Who Dies,
and Why
- Laurence Gonzales

The JD 09-07-2013 11:06 AM

I just started The Killer Wore Leather: A Mystery by Laura Antoniou. If you've ever been to a leather contest or a BDSM event, you'll love this book. I can't say yet how it holds up as a mystery, but Antoniou's keen eye and sharp wit note all the details of a leather pageant, from the behind-the-scenes workings of the event to the smorgasbord of BDSM identities and personalities.

I'm just two chapters into it, and there have been a few places where I laughed out loud at the dialogue-- not because it's farcical, but because it's so damned TRUE ("Go find boy Jack. No, the other boy Jack."). No master, slave or pony boy is safe from Antoniou's gentle jabs. But I also see a love for her characters, and am already invested. Going back to read more!

puddin' 09-08-2013 12:59 AM

"a lion among men", (3rd in the gregory macguire wicked years series)...

tonaderspeisung 09-08-2013 06:26 PM

i'm about a quarter of the way into
confessions of an economic hit man - john perkins

incessant, vague, repetitive drivel

i'm convinced this book was written, with full consent of economic hit men everywhere, to undermine legitimate concerns about world banking policies

Jerseyboi 09-08-2013 07:00 PM

James Paterson!!! Still on the Alex Cross series. 4 Blind Mice!

torchiegirl 09-08-2013 08:38 PM

French Island Elegance ~ Michael Connors

ok, so it's a little more like looking opposed to reading!.

torchiegirl 09-08-2013 09:06 PM

British West Indies Style ~ Michael Connors

*still looking at pictures mostly.

Mopsie 09-16-2013 12:39 PM

A friend recommended THIS book.

Has anyone read it or know much about Bolz-Weber?

*curious*

Medusa 09-16-2013 01:12 PM

I just finished "The Eleventh Plague" by Jeff Hirsch. It was supposed to be kinda in the same genre as "Hunger Games" or maybe "Divergent". Needless to say, its a YA novel and it reminded me why I rarely read them. The writing style was fine but I couldn't get into the characters. I just didn't care about them all that much.

Switching gears!

Picked up "The Marketplace of Revolution: How Consumer Politics Shaped American Independence" by T.H. Breen.

From the synopsis:
The Marketplace of Revolution offers a boldly innovative interpretation of the mobilization of ordinary Americans on the eve of independence. Breen explores how colonists who came from very different ethnic and religious backgrounds managed to overcome difference and create a common cause capable of galvanizing resistance. In a richly interdisciplinary narrative that weaves insights into a changing material culture with analysis of popular political protests, Breen shows how virtual strangers managed to communicate a sense of trust that effectively united men and women long before they had established a nation of their own.
The Marketplace of Revolution argues that the colonists' shared experience as consumers in a new imperial economy afforded them the cultural resources that they needed to develop a radical strategy of political protest--the consumer boycott. Never before had a mass political movement organized itself around disruption of the marketplace. As Breen demonstrates, often through anecdotes about obscure Americans, communal rituals of shared sacrifice provided an effective means to educate and energize a dispersed populace. The boycott movement--the signature of American resistance--invited colonists traditionally excluded from formal political processes to voice their opinions about liberty and rights within a revolutionary marketplace, an open, raucous public forum that defined itself around subscription lists passed door-to-door, voluntary associations, street protests, destruction of imported British goods, and incendiary newspaper exchanges. Within these exchanges was born a new form of politics in which ordinary man and women--precisely the people most often overlooked in traditional accounts of revolution--experienced an exhilarating surge of empowerment.
Breen recreates an "empire of goods" that transformed everyday life during the mid-eighteenth century. Imported manufactured items flooded into the homes of colonists from New Hampshire to Georgia. The Marketplace of Revolution explains how at a moment of political crisis Americans gave political meaning to the pursuit of happiness and learned how to make goods speak to power."

PoeticSilence 09-16-2013 09:08 PM

I'm trying out a new site (which means I ordered some books) and I thought I'd share it with all of the readers.. check it out. http://www.betterworldbooks.com/

Still reading Herodotus.

PoeticSilence 09-16-2013 09:32 PM

I can't tell if that posted or not, it's not showing up, so if you read, check out this site: http://www.betterworldbooks.com/

cinnamongrrl 09-17-2013 08:12 PM

I am reading,

Confidentiality in Allied Health....

:|

Perfunctory school reading is never the funnest stuff.....

Nic 09-17-2013 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mopsie (Post 845179)
A friend recommended THIS book.

Has anyone read it or know much about Bolz-Weber?

*curious*

Haven't read it. Did read "Salvation on the Small Screen". Liked it a lot. But 24 hours of watching televangelism in the name of research? She's a better person than I!

cinnamongrrl 09-18-2013 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PoeticSilence (Post 845335)
I'm trying out a new site (which means I ordered some books) and I thought I'd share it with all of the readers.. check it out. http://www.betterworldbooks.com/

Still reading Herodotus.

While part of me is super DUPER happy you have gifted us with this site, the practical side of me says I must refrain from book buying until I have a place to put said new books.. I'm good at getting rid of everything else BUT books..it is absolute hell being me...sigh

Nic 09-18-2013 12:13 PM

Been combing through her bookshelves since I've read everything in mine.

Not a poetry fan so I passed over those. Been told I'm not allowed to skip it completely if we're going to be "friends". What I do for love. (rolling up sleeves) She started my sci-fi education a month or so back. Not clear on all the subgenres but I'm enjoying what she has so far. Glad she doesn't go much for the fantasy end of things. Read the typical Tolkien in my 20's but otherwise not really feeling the love when it comes to dragons and orcs. (the recently completed Rowling, excepted) Been switching back and forth between fiction and non-fiction shelves. Will finish (autographed copy!) of Ocean at the End of the Lane tonight. Short read. Wanted to finish it last night but couldn't keep my eyes open. On deck, W.E.B. Dubois biography called Biography of a Race. Been told that William Gibson should be next on my sci-fi agenda. She says I "must read the classics". There are science fiction classics?

Fancy 09-18-2013 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cinnamongrrl (Post 829798)
I wasn't sure what I was going to read next...and then....I went to the post office and found I had a package. :) I am now reading...

On the Beaten Path: An Appalachian Pilgrimage by Robert Alden Rubin

It details the travels of a man hiking the Appalachian Trail....

Oh! Have you also read A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson?
I'm just finishing it, and he is also accounting his hike on the AT. However, in true Bryson style, he injects much about the history, current situations, and stories about the AT throughout the book.

I'd be interested to hear what you think about the book you're reading. :)

Fancy 09-18-2013 01:06 PM

The Not So Big Life ~ Sarah Susanka
(making room for what really matters)

Started this book on audio during a car trip and became so engrossed that I had to checkout the hard copy of the book to finish. Susanka has a way of tying back her thoughts to such practical examples (architecture and home design) and it's an inspiring read.

ONLY 09-19-2013 07:48 PM

I am now reading (been few days now) The House Of Thunder by Dean Koontz (another one of my fav authors)

deathbypoem 09-20-2013 10:29 AM

http://www.paperbackswap.com/Secret-...ok/0688093043/

Interesting read. And, quite frightening.

Sparkle 09-20-2013 11:33 AM

The final few hundred pages of 'Dance with Dragons' book five of the Game of Thrones series. Soon I will join the masses of people waiting (and waiting...and waiting some more) for books six and seven. :|

I might launch in to 'Cloud Atlas' by David Mitchell after this.

deb_U_taunt 09-20-2013 12:42 PM

I am on a Faye Kellerman kick right now.

reading Serpent's Tooth

Scots_On_The_Rocks 09-20-2013 02:10 PM

"How Few Remain" ~ Harry Turtledove
"The Inexplicables" ~ Cherie Priest

cinnamongrrl 09-21-2013 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fancy (Post 845880)
Oh! Have you also read A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson?
I'm just finishing it, and he is also accounting his hike on the AT. However, in true Bryson style, he injects much about the history, current situations, and stories about the AT throughout the book.

I'd be interested to hear what you think about the book you're reading. :)

I HAVE read that book! Few years back and I have given it to many others to read as well. Bryson is an excellent and descriptive writer. :) His (unofficial) bibliography from that book led me to read several others in fact...

The other book I had been reading, On the Beaten Path, was very good. Stirred my fires some more where hiking the AT is concerned :)

If you like books such as these, you may like a book written by a much loved (by me) naturalist named Bernd Heinrich. The first (and favorite) book I read by him is called A Year in the Maine Woods. He does a Thoreauesque experiment of living MOSTLY in his cabin in Maine.... :)

Fancy 09-23-2013 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cinnamongrrl (Post 846799)
I HAVE read that book! Few years back and I have given it to many others to read as well. Bryson is an excellent and descriptive writer. :) His (unofficial) bibliography from that book led me to read several others in fact...

The other book I had been reading, On the Beaten Path, was very good. Stirred my fires some more where hiking the AT is concerned :)

If you like books such as these, you may like a book written by a much loved (by me) naturalist named Bernd Heinrich. The first (and favorite) book I read by him is called A Year in the Maine Woods. He does a Thoreauesque experiment of living MOSTLY in his cabin in Maine.... :)

Thanks for the referral. I'm heading to the library today and will look for Heinrich's works.

Yes, after reading Bryson's book my wanderlust-muse is sparked and now I want to read more and also daydream about hiking the AT. :)

GeeGina 09-23-2013 07:16 AM

Soul Picnic...

Lately, I've become obsessed with Laura Nyro and am reading "Soul Picnic" - which is about her music and her incredibly private, even mysterious life.

Daktari 09-23-2013 07:28 AM

I see references to one of my fave writers, Bill Bryson.

One of my absolute favourites of his is The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid.

It's an autobiographical look at his childhood growing up in 50s America.
As usual it's wryly dry and witty.

Kätzchen 09-26-2013 03:05 PM

Classic Literature (Historical Novel)

The Bride of Lammermoor
(Author: Sir Walter Scott)

http://www2.hn.psu.edu/faculty/jmani...lammermoor.pdf

~baby~doll~ 09-26-2013 03:34 PM

Mayhem at the Marina A Lexi Hyatt Mystery by Carlene Miller

This is book 2 of a series of well written mysteries

Enchantress 09-26-2013 05:02 PM

One, two, three ...

Firstly 'Spilling Clarence' by Anne Ursu. I'm only up to chapter three at the moment, but I'm looking forward to getting more into this one. Secondly, 'Martin Sloane' by Michael Redhill. Another obscure pick, but I'm enjoying it as well. And then there's the final book in the Sookie Stackhouse series (the books that True Blood is based off), Dead Ever after by Charlaine Harris. This one is on my Nook and I'm savouring every last page. I think I'll be sad when I am through. But then again, maybe I'll just start book one and read them all over again!

There, I officially have a plan. Or, I could read the 17 other books that I have on the shelf. I confess, I'm a book hoarder ...

Venus007 09-26-2013 07:09 PM

Jumping on the band wagon

Orange is the New Black by Piper Kerman

~baby~doll~ 09-27-2013 12:58 PM

Just started

https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.ne...8l/1609056.jpg

i have read two others in the series and loved them.

ONLY 09-27-2013 07:46 PM

Last night I started "Catching Fire" by Suzanne Collins, the 2nd book of "The Hunger Games"

Kenna 09-27-2013 08:15 PM

Foxfire....

Kobi 09-27-2013 08:24 PM

The cancer chronicles : unlocking medicine's deepest mystery / George Johnson.

When the woman he loved was diagnosed with a metastatic cancer, science writer George Johnson embarked on a journey to learn everything he could about the disease and the people who dedicate their lives to understanding and combating it. What he discovered is a revolution under way--an explosion of new ideas about what cancer really is and where it comes from. In a provocative and intellectually vibrant exploration, he takes us on an adventure through the history and recent advances of cancer research that will challenge everything you thought you knew about the disease.

Kätzchen 10-02-2013 08:50 PM

I had time today to stop by a local library and while browsing books to read, I came across two books to check out, tonight. I am beginning this one tonight:
Arlen, Alice (2000). She Took To The Woods: A Biography and Selected Writings by Louise Dickenson Rich. Rockport, Maine: Down East Books.
Here's an excerpt from the Introduction to this biography about wilderness writer Louise Dickenson Rich (I read it on my way home tonight by train and I'm already hooked):
"My acquaintence with wilderness writer Louise Dickenson Rich began years ago in the midst of research I was doing for a book on traditional Maine sporting camps. I heard her name and glanced down the "Carry Road" (originally a canoe portage trail) leading to her place by the Rapid River in the Rangely Lakes region of western Maine. I also took note of a log home occupied, I was informed, by Louise's longtime friend and neighbor, Alys Parsons. At that point, though, there were places to go, people and a deadline to meet, so I moved on.

My sporting camp book came out and I started recieving mail from readers. Several petitioned, "Please write a book about Louise Dickenson Rich." A librarian from the Midwest was very specific:
"We Took to the Woods (the 1942 best-seller that launched Rich's career) is still checked out on a regular basis. There has never been a biography written about her and I feel you are the person to do it."

I started to pay attention.

Soon I was stumbling into Louise wherever I went..... " (pp. vii).
Alice then goes on to talk about how she finally won the support of Louise's brother, Ralph, who sent Alice to see his sister, who eventually gave her a bag of notions belonging to Louise. It's going to obviously be a riveting account of LDR's life and times in the wild's of Maine; but to become more intimately aquainted with who LDR is and her style of writing and what she wrote about, years ago, is toward the back of the book, which includes titles, such as: Fogbound, Wish You Were Here, First Monday in March, Written in the Stars, Grandma and the Seagull, The Red Slipper, Can't Find My Apron Strings and more. Then, the reader is treated to unpublished writings belonging to LDR and a conclusion which is followed by an expansive index (appendice).

I'm looking forward to snuggling down with this particular book over the next few nights and into the coming weekend.

ps/ the photo below was taken last night by an photographer who is native to my home state of Oregon: It's rare for us to even witness the Northern Lights in our area, but he took this picture on the high desert, on a lonely road outside of Bend, Oregon. It's already snowing in our 'neck' of the woods (winter is here).

https://scontent-a-pao.xx.fbcdn.net/...18923634_n.jpg

Bad_boi 10-03-2013 12:36 AM

Eragon book 1.

sis 10-03-2013 12:41 AM

Catch-22 by Joseph Heller ...... I found a book group here in Guangzhou that meets once a month! I. Am. So. Excited!

Deb