Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Lesbian Zone (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   Dykes And Lesbians To Watch Out For (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1443)

BullDog 05-26-2010 12:37 PM

Dykes And Lesbians To Watch Out For

OK if you get the reference you're in. ;) Here is a space to talk about being a dyke and/or lesbian or just show your support. Allies are most welcome. :)

JustBeingMe 05-26-2010 12:40 PM

Hey there Bulldog, thanks for starting this thread. I am a Lesbian, always have been, I am also Butch. I support all those who are.

Jett 05-26-2010 12:48 PM

Hmm....

I peeked in because I thought I'd find myself on a Top Ten Most Wanted list.
:harley:

Metro
;)

foxyshaman 05-26-2010 12:54 PM

Ohhh...:sunglass: I love being a Dyke. Love it. I love the strength of the word and the sound of the word as it leaves my lips.

My GF does not like the word and does not refer to herself as such. It has been used as a derogatory term towards her (from others). But she is getting used to it :) and will even playfully use it when we tease each other.

TenderKnight 05-26-2010 01:00 PM

OK, I'll bite.. who should I be looking out for, and is she in my closet now??

lol.. I am here to show support..

I admit that I am one of those guys that makes clear online that "im not a lesbian".. Although, the lesbian community was where I came out and started the process of finding out who I am. I don't identify with being a lesbian now, but I *try* not to diss lesbians either.. (has been guilty of making generalizations about lesbians).

I admire those that stand up and are counted.. I get to melt into the hetro crowd sometimes, most (most being a genralization, but again, let's run with it..), most lesbians can't vanish, they are in the fore front when they are out and about.. Two lesbians holding hands is pretty odvious.. Not to mention Butch lesbians.. Can't mistake a big ole dagger :D

I guess my point is that I once ID'd as lesbian, and even if it isn't who I am now, I will try to remember that being a lesbian is part of my story too..

-Tony

JustBeingMe 05-26-2010 01:01 PM

On the term Dyke, I actually don't care for it because in my many years of being Lesbian, it was always used as a derogatory term(meaning they said I wanted to be a Man, when I didn't and don't) by others towards me; so I don't use that terminology in reference to others or myself. I strongly will use the term Lesbian in reference to myself, it just has more meaning for me than Dyke does. Over the years, I have learned to tolerate the term Dyke, as it comes up in discussions. I just let it go. No harm, no foul, ya know.
I sure hope this thread takes off, I wanna see where it ends up heading.

Emmy 05-26-2010 01:02 PM

Well, I love Alison Bechdel, that's for sure! She's so nerdy and smart and adorable. When I was first realizing I wasn't straight, I would sit at the library for hours on end reading her Dykes to Watch out For series. It made me feel a bit more connected, less lonely.

I suppose I'm not, myself, a lesbian -when I'm honest with myself, I know I could have feelings for someone of any sex or gender- but I have much appreciation, respect and gratitude for everything my lesbian sisters have done and continue to do on behalf of the whole community. <3

NJFemmie 05-26-2010 01:09 PM

<--- Lesbian and proud of it.

Yeah, I'm not crazy about the word dyke either but I'm learning to tolerate it.

:)

Jett 05-26-2010 01:25 PM

I like being a dyke... a Big Ol' Damn Dyke.

Lesbian yep... but I'd be more likely to relate with and say "I'm a dyke". Mostly because where I come from it's used to describe "tough-ish" or more "aggressive" leather or jean and boot style lesbians and butches. I don't want to put my foot in my mouth so I totally acknowledge some don't use or see it that way at all.

I understand some's discomfort with the word too. One of my best friends is a couple generations ahead of me and she doesn't like "queer", because she was of time before it was re-claimed.

Heart 05-26-2010 01:30 PM

Lesbian, dyke, and feminist to boot.
Or as Hothead would say: Feh! Muh! Nist!

BullDog 05-26-2010 01:39 PM

Thanks everyone for posting. Hopefully those that don't care for the word dyke are not put off by it being here. Personally I like both dyke and lesbian. Dyke does have a certain defiance and toughness to it that I like. It's also been a term that has been shouted at me in a very derogatory and sometimes threatening way, so I definitely get both points of view.

Emmy, yeah I love the cartoon too, plus I was in search of a catchy title. ;)

Metro, maybe we can start our own Most Wanted Loud Mouth Dykes And Lesbians To Watch Out For On BPF list! Ha!

Tony, thanks so much for stopping in. I know everyone feels differently, but it does mean a lot to me when trans guys who have been a part of lesbian/queer communities honor that as part of their past and present where it is applicable. The other day one of my trans guy friends on Facebook was reminiscing about good ole fashioned feminist dyke music from 30 years ago. It made me smile big.

Thanks everyone. Keep the great thoughts coming.

PinkieLee 05-26-2010 01:54 PM

Yep, Yep... a femme lesbian here :)

christie 05-26-2010 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metropolis (Post 114757)
I like being a dyke... a Big Ol' Damn Dyke.

*raising hand* My name is Christie and I am a Big Ol' Damn Dyke too. My exmotherinlaw once referred to me as a GD dyke. I smiled and said thank you.

Dyke, Lesbian. Both fit me rather well and I take immense pride in both along with woman, female, girl.

Glad to see the thread!

MrSunshine 05-26-2010 01:58 PM

Shit! Dykes and Lesbians to watch out for? I thought maybe they were running out into the streets or someone was throwing out in traffic. It's all good :)

NJFemmie 05-26-2010 02:05 PM

Dyke Dyke Dyke Dyke

The word itself doesn't bother me - it does when non-homosexuals use it though. On a personal level, I'm trying to learn to embrace the word. Where and when I grew up, using it was not a positive thing - however, every now and then you may catch me using it as a descriptor.

Dyke *cringe*
Dyke *cringe*

*sigh*

DYKE *cringe not so much*

See? I'm getting better at it. :)

Kobi 05-26-2010 02:07 PM

Lucy, Im hoooooooome!

Bulldog, Im proud of you. I'd kiss you but that would be weird....lol.

Omg I cannot believe how I felt my soul soar when I saw how many proud women.lesbians.dykes there are here proudly proclaiming themselves.

NJFemmie 05-26-2010 02:10 PM

Kiss her! Kiss her!

(Cause I'm freaky like that)

:|

Chancie 05-26-2010 02:12 PM

My Pete looks a little like Mo. :stillheart:

http://quizilla.teennick.com/user_im...t_mo_small.jpg

Kobi 05-26-2010 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJFemmie (Post 114798)
Kiss her! Kiss her!

(Cause I'm freaky like that)

:|

LOL. You weirdo.

Jett 05-26-2010 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJFemmie (Post 114794)
The word itself doesn't bother me - it does when non-homosexuals use it though. On a personal level, I'm trying to learn to embrace the word. Where and when I grew up, using it was not a positive thing - however, every now and then you may catch me using it as a descriptor.

Dyke *cringe*
Dyke *cringe*

*sigh*

DYKE *cringe not so much*

See? I'm getting better at it. :)

You work on that and then after a while I'll... um, Bulldog will call you a dyke and see how you react....

Metro
;):devil: