Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Fluffy Stuff: Flirting, Humor, Chat (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Cell phones vs landlines (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5645)

Kobi 09-12-2012 05:12 AM

Cell phones vs landlines

Seems more and more people are turning off their landlines and relying totally on their cell phones.

I am partial to my landline. The sound quality is better. I have to be home to use it and I like the privacy this affords me. And, I always know where it is.

I bought a cell to have for an emergency that might arise when I am out of my home, or if the home phone service is out of order for some reason. The sound quality is substandard. I am not fond of texting. I am not fond of being interrupted when I am out doing errands or chores or at appointments.

I rarely have the need to be connected to the hustle and bustle via a device 24/7. Usually, I am trying to find ways to disconnect.

So, I am wondering what type of phone works better for your life?

dark_crystal 09-12-2012 05:18 AM

We have a landline that we got because of the cable company bundle. It rings several times a day, but it has never once been answered as we have never given out the number due to forgetting what it is

so.... cell phones!

Nomad 09-12-2012 05:23 AM

i dont have either a cell or a landline. i had a love-hate relationship with my cell until i lost it while camping. then i just hated it for not knowing how much i loved it. :D

i like texting. i'd rather text than talk because i can scroll back to see important things i might need to remember. voice talk doesn't allow for that. what's funny is that in my pre-cell phone days you couldnt get me off the phone! :superfunny:

firegal 09-12-2012 05:24 AM

I like them both..

But as 911 goes cell phones are kinda a curse.

#1. like when a car wreck happens...TONS of folks driving by! call to report

it...but no one stops to see if anyone is hurt.

#2 People call [cell phones] and they dont know where they are at...hardwire phones our
dispatchers know where they are.

#3 Cell phones ..alot of static..background noise [on 911 calls]

#4 texting 911 calls is coming...serious! its in the process now! :seeingstars:

But i do love my land line and my cell. personally

Parker 09-12-2012 05:58 AM

I like my cell because I can use it at home and then when I leave, I can take it with me both to use if I need it and to not miss a call when I am away from home.

I carry the phone with me 24/7 as well because I live alone and dont have one of those "I've fallen and I cant get up" monitors or buttons - if something happens to me, I want to make sure my phone is with me so I can call for help - assuming I am conscious. Even when I shower, I keep my cell phone within arms reach of the tub - just in case. :winky:

That need became abundantly clear 4 years ago or so when I was in my backyard moving something and stepped into a gopher hole, twisting my ankle so badly, I thought I broke it and I had to crawl back into the house ..... of course, I didnt call 911 because I didnt consider a broken or sprained ankle to be an emergency, but driving myself to the VA was probably one of the dumbest things I have ever done because I almost passed out from the pain and shock - so I called a friend on my cell phone and had her keep me talking until I pulled up to the VA. lol

Sorry, I digress - so for convenience, for money (2 phones vs. 1), and for safety, I prefer my cell phone that can go everywhere I go. :winky:

SleepyButch 09-12-2012 07:16 AM

I have not had a landline in years. When I did have it, I never used it or answered it.

I love my cellphone. I can take it with me anywhere and if someone needs me, they can reach me. I did just get a new one in July and the sound quality is just as good as any landline I've ever heard. Of course there will be those times when a cell tower is not in range and I'll drop a call or have a lot of static but I figure my landline would not help me in that type of situatin anyway... lol.

With technology the way that it is, this will only improve over time.

Bella~Vita 09-12-2012 07:25 AM

I myself prefer a land line. I too don't want to answer calls while I'm out. I do have one but it's for an emergencey , etc. I dislike the sound and the irritating dropped calls. Besides the fact, I think it's rude when someone answers the calls while we are out, or always on them when you are in the company of others.

KayCee 09-12-2012 07:27 AM

With my new cellphone, that's all I need.

princessbelle 09-12-2012 07:28 AM

I hated my land-line. I received so many sales calls on it from "do you need a new roof, we are in the area" to "we are doing a survey". I used to cringe every time i got a call on it knowing it was going to be some BS. I got rid of it and saved myself some money.

My cell phone is very important in my life. I text a pretty good amount as well. I drive to homes as a nurse and my cell is invaluable to me, calling patients, having a flat, etc. I call 911 sometimes as well when i'm in homes and i just always have to remember where i'm at lol...address.

If i leave the house and accidentally forget my cell i panic and drive back and get it. But also, my mom is elderly and i like being able to be reached by her or my kids 24 7.

I feel way more in-touch with people in my life and it is a security blanket of sorts.

macele 09-12-2012 07:36 AM

i don't talk on the phone a lot. never have. a couple of years ago i thought that texting was stupid. then i heard that pat summitt started and i ain't let up since! that's why i don't get facebook LOL.

i have both, cell and landline. after hurricane katrina, the landline worked when the cell didn't. just feels sad not to have a home phone. and i remember the days of grandma having a party line.

MsTinkerbelly 09-12-2012 07:52 AM

We all have cell phones, no landline.

I miss the days when you could not be reached when away from home...sometimes I feel like I have lojack!

But like some, I have a child and had an elderly Mom to attend to so a cell phone was mandatory.

Tommi 09-12-2012 07:55 AM

Morse code would be best

Cell phone vs. Landline.

Landline for sound and earthquake preparedness alert....of which I have 5 phones @ the house, and one cell.

Cell =Verizon @ home doesn't work unless racing to the wrought iron gate, holding on with one hand, on one leg wearing a tinfoil hat . Celll held high, speaker on, bi-directional rotation waving it in the air to the Cell Phone Tower Goddess hollering " Helllo can you hear me now ~can you hear me now can yo....GONE .

but, a celll in my pocket works well with GPS speaker in car.

The planned city I live in bans celltowers, because *** they are ugly. we vote here, , "they are still ugly". ,. So, we have a monopoly with COX Communications bundling it all up. and it breaks. Verizon, MT Mobile and Sprint offered to put in pine tree looking towers....but , alas, we have palm trees *:)

Cox SUCKS. But I keep the landline because, A. it's a "bundle" .I wish someone could tell me what I am saving. I have the digital tv , digital phone, and high speed computer..B. In case of earthquake, I might not be able to find my tinfoil hat, and I have 4 landlines....but then again, Cox goes down once a month without earthquakes.

weatherboi 09-12-2012 08:06 AM

Work dictates that I have both, but my landline is forwarded to my cell phone. I am one of those people that has to answer my phone when I know it is a potential client calling even if I have to excuse myself from the event. Sign of the times and it is essential to the survival of my business. I hate that, but I love my cell phone and use it for all my administrative office duties when I am out on a floor and that could be 12 hours or longer sometimes. It keeps me entertained while I am waiting in between finish coats. I even bought a little compatible speaker off groupon goods so I can listen to music while working. It is also how I take all my before and after pictures.

Glenn 09-12-2012 08:17 AM

FYI if SHTF the United States Army still maintains their awesome pigeon reserve. There are still pigeon reserve outposts in many cities in the US. I have seen one. Plus, Pigeons make great pets! It's always good to have a carrier pigeon hanging around along with your landline and cell. Learn the basics how to train a carrier pigeon at eHow.com.

The_Lady_Snow 09-12-2012 08:25 AM

Croo croo

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glenn (Post 652375)
If SHTF the United States Army still maintains their awesome pigeon reserve. There are still pigeon reserve outposts in many cities in the US. I have seen one. Plus, Pigeons make great pets! Learn the basics how to train a carrier pigeon at eHow.com.

Our neighbors across the street have carrier pigeons, once the Zombie apocalypse comes I'll use one or two to send out an SOS!

Cell phone and land line here, the man cub has a cell so that his coordinates are always known.

Kelt 09-12-2012 08:29 AM

I dropped having a land line about 6 years ago because my land line carrier was so horrible. I have since learned their affectionate nickname is "those rat bastards".

I had both for a couple of years. When I was going to move to a new state I got my first cell as a way of having a local number in my next state for job hunting purposes. When I moved here I kept it.

I have a love hate relationship with any phone. I pay for it so I consider it to be a tool for my use and convenience. If I have a reason to expect a call I leave it on and I can go about my day without waiting around for it. If I am not, I will turn it or the ringer off so I can be left alone. I don't tell anyone other than friends it is a cell so that the expectation that I will jump to answer it is reduced.

Texting is something I used very little until the last year. I have now used it quite a bit and had a chance to evaluate it for myself. To get a quick bit of information conveyed without getting sucked into a call that is unneeded it is fine. But if I am to talk to someone for anything more than that I much prefer an actual human voice. I treat it much like Kobi does and usually have longer conversations at home to minimize distractions.

I like having options. I usually use it as I would a land line, but have the versatility if I want it. I recently went to a smartphone just to keep up with tech and must say having a small computer and camera in my pocket has proven to be pretty handy.

Manners are still manners though, and I don't check it or use it around others. I still think that the "screen heads" are generally rude. I guess we will all have to get used to it to a degree especially in those growing up with it, but I do not have to behave that way myself.

Short answer: Cell only, no landline. LOL

:balloon:

Tony 09-12-2012 08:49 AM

I don't have a land line & haven't for some time. I do miss it sometimes; like when I've misplaced my cell & need to call it.
I've had the same cell number for 20 some years. The area code has changed here a few times, but it's been my main number since the enormous brick phone. Lol

Kenna 09-12-2012 08:59 AM

I got my first cell phone several years ago after being hit head on by a drunk driver, in the middle of the night with no way to call 911...
I had put it off until then...

Now I run two cells... 1 for personal use, and the other I had got when unemployed for NC job contacts only...which it has now become my business phone that I AM NOT reimbursed for (pissed off look) ...

And a landline I was stuck with when ordering DSL so far out in BFE corn and soybean fields...

After working from home for the past few months, I'm starting to hate all three... and am not fond of texting lately, because for some people it's their primary communication style... I hate my Droid for texting!

After the past few months.... I'd be happy to go back to NO phones or the old rotary line in the kitchen for minimal use only.

clay 09-12-2012 08:59 AM

Cell...period!
The Straight Talk Plan provided by Verizon through WalMart is an awesome plan!
No contract!
I have incredible coverage everywhere. I even used it on Amtrak last year!
Like Parker, mine stays close by me...everywhere. Esp. when I am in shower...And I usually do NOT answer it when I am eating, doing something I don't want to interrupt....NO, not that....lol...like watching one of my shows, etc. or if I just don't feel up to talking.
With the institution of phone etiquette and manners, a cell can be a pleasant experience!
I turn the ringer off at night so as not to be disturbed. None of my loved ones are remotely close by, so what can I do at Oh Dark Thirty anyway. I am prone to check it when I wake to go to BR anyway.
TEXTING is the Bomb diggety!! I love to talk BUT with my phone currently in 2 pieces, NOT! My arm goes to sleep from keeping it bent..lol.
My card I get every month to replenish my phone is $45 with UNLIMITED anytime, anywhere minutes, texts, and data.
I am VERY satisfied with my cell and coverage!!!

~ocean 09-12-2012 09:06 AM

I'm a landline user . less expensive ... clear voices and u dont have to recharge it .. oh yeah !! no controversy .. as if it will cause brain damage.. i have a cell for emergency only .. i never use it .. i did learn to text last year but i havent texted since ! .. mybe u can call me old fashioned.. i like to refer it to as common sense ...