Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Fluffy Stuff: Flirting, Humor, Chat (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   What are you having for dinner tonight? (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=197)

nycfem 08-05-2019 07:45 PM

I am so bad at cooking that if I am able to eat my cooking I consider it a success :vigil:

Tonight I was able to eat what I cooked, though it was super bland. I tried my new Gochujang sauce recommended by Georgia Ma'am. But I botched how I used it. Into a big wok I threw a bag of spinach, a bag of riced cauliflower, a block of tofu, a big onion, curry powder, and 2 tbs of Gochujang. Then I cooked it. I think maybe I should have dry cooked the meal without the sauce and then added it. The veggies and tofu are so watery when they cook that they probably ended up making everything steamed as well as watering down the Gochujang, leaving me with a filling but boring tasting meal. If anyone has suggestions other than what I just said, please let me know :praying:

Oh, I had added about a fourth of an avocado on top which really tasted good with it, but after it ran out, I tried adding a cooked beet and that did not work well.

All of this being said, it was a filling meal that left me feeling good (easy to digest).

For dessert I had Greek yogurt with cinnamon, banana, and kamut puffs.

I survived my cooking tonight! :praying:

tantalizingfemme 08-06-2019 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nycfem (Post 1250491)
I am so bad at cooking that if I am able to eat my cooking I consider it a success :vigil:

Tonight I was able to eat what I cooked, though it was super bland. I tried my new Gochujang sauce recommended by Georgia Ma'am. But I botched how I used it. Into a big wok I threw a bag of spinach, a bag of riced cauliflower, a block of tofu, a big onion, curry powder, and 2 tbs of Gochujang. Then I cooked it. I think maybe I should have dry cooked the meal without the sauce and then added it. The veggies and tofu are so watery when they cook that they probably ended up making everything steamed as well as watering down the Gochujang, leaving me with a filling but boring tasting meal. If anyone has suggestions other than what I just said, please let me know :praying:

Oh, I had added about a fourth of an avocado on top which really tasted good with it, but after it ran out, I tried adding a cooked beet and that did not work well.

All of this being said, it was a filling meal that left me feeling good (easy to digest).

For dessert I had Greek yogurt with cinnamon, banana, and kamut puffs.

I survived my cooking tonight! :praying:

Marinate the tofu in the sauce rather than putting it on everything. Either bake to crisp the tofu or saute til crispy, and then add to sauteed veggies.(stick with riced cauliflower, onion and spinach and maybe add red pepper, but not in the beginning so it retains some crunch) No curry. If you like pineapple, put that in and some juice (not too much, if you use canned) when you blend the vegetables and tofu at the end. If you don't like pineapple, try some maple syrup and fresh ginger, mix with some apple cider vinegar (to taste) and add just enough to coat at the end and warm it up.

Mopsie 08-06-2019 04:39 PM

I'm out at my fave Indian restaurant. :)

Tonight it's Saag Paneer & Vegetable Patia.

Yummy! :p

girl_dee 08-06-2019 05:37 PM

Fish tacos! Compliments of the Syr!

Tuff Stuff 08-06-2019 06:21 PM

I want scrambled eggs and hash...sourdough toast. Icecream for dessert. I want it I get it.
:popcorn:

First, I really need a shower. :bath:

GeorgiaMa'am 08-06-2019 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nycfem (Post 1250491)
I think maybe I should have dry cooked the meal without the sauce and then added it.

I think you've got the right idea. Sorry it didn't help more!

Tonight I had a Cuban sandwich and Vanilla Swiss Almond ice cream.

nycfem 08-06-2019 07:43 PM

Tonight I tried what I said I was going to do, dry wok the tofu and veggies and then add the bibimbap sauce. It was SO much better! I dry wokked a bag of riced cauliflower, an onion, a bunch of chopped carrots, and a block of chopped tofu. It took FOREVER for the pan to dry out with these watery veggies. I actually think the riced cauliflower might have been the most helpful in drying things out. Unfortunately the carrots steamed, and the rice cauliflower got a little mashed, but overall I was able to hang in there and wait until things started to burn a tiny bit (how I like it). Any advice on how to get things crisper in the wok or which veggies not to use if I don't want them generating a wok of water?

So after I cooked them with the top off -man, did I say it took forever, cuz it really did- then I added .25 cup of the bibimbap Korean sauce (thanks, GeorgiaMa'am- it was soooo good!). It was just great, perfect sauce. I didn't add curry upon the advice of my husbutch.

I would definitely make this again, though just have to figure out how to have a bit dryer, crispier browned veggies. And I'd love it if there is a way for them to not take so long to cook.

Still... this was a huge improvement!

Stone-Butch 08-06-2019 08:14 PM

Dinner

Baked chicken
Potato salad
Cole slaw
Iced tea lots of lemon

tantalizingfemme 08-07-2019 02:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nycfem (Post 1250524)
Tonight I tried what I said I was going to do, dry wok the tofu and veggies and then add the bibimbap sauce. It was SO much better! I dry wokked a bag of riced cauliflower, an onion, a bunch of chopped carrots, and a block of chopped tofu. It took FOREVER for the pan to dry out with these watery veggies. I actually think the riced cauliflower might have been the most helpful in drying things out. Unfortunately the carrots steamed, and the rice cauliflower got a little mashed, but overall I was able to hang in there and wait until things started to burn a tiny bit (how I like it). Any advice on how to get things crisper in the wok or which veggies not to use if I don't want them generating a wok of water?

So after I cooked them with the top off -man, did I say it took forever, cuz it really did- then I added .25 cup of the bibimbap Korean sauce (thanks, GeorgiaMa'am- it was soooo good!). It was just great, perfect sauce. I didn't add curry upon the advice of my husbutch.

I would definitely make this again, though just have to figure out how to have a bit dryer, crispier browned veggies. And I'd love it if there is a way for them to not take so long to cook.

Still... this was a huge improvement!

Hey Jen, a few questions. Did you press your tofu before using it? If you didn't, that would explain all of the moisture. Second, was your riced cauliflower fresh or frozen? Last, as I have never heard of dry wok(king) before... is this cooking with no oil hence the "dry" wok?

Here is a recommendation when cooking with tofu. I freeze the tofu (firm or extra firm), then defrost and press for 15 to 30 minutes before using. This gives the tofu a different consistency which I love and after pressed there is very little to no moisture and it absorbs everything so much better. I also always cook my tofu first before I add vegetables to allow it to get crispy. Looking at the vegetables you used I can only figure all that moisture coming from either unpressed tofu or frozen cauliflower. The onions have very little moisture and it should dissipate quickly in the high heat and the carrots don't really release enough moisture to make a difference. If you are using frozen cauliflower it won't dry out during cooking unless you do it really slow on low heat and for a long time but there is no guarantee. Again, always press your tofu even you don't freeze (I wrap the tofu in a clean kitchen towel, put in on a large plate or cutting board, place another plate or cutting board on top and then put heavy items on top like a heavy iron skillet. I have seen people put heavy books on top, I have taken 4 cans and put them on the the top plate or cutting board and let it press on it for a while. Just monitor as weight shifts and you have to adjust what is on top occasionally) If you are using frozen cauliflower rice it will always have a lot of moisture so try to look for riced cauliflower in the produce section or make your own. I throw cut up fresh cauliflower in my food processor and pulse until it is riced. And if you are using non frozen cauliflower, remove the tofu once done, then cook the cauliflower on the high heat alone to cook off the moisture, then add the carrots and onion and then add back the tofu and toss with the sauce.

Chancie 08-07-2019 05:52 AM

We had delicious pasta last night. One can coconut milk, one can tomato paste + one tomato paste can of water, three cloves garlic, and salt, pepper, and paprika. I served it over WW pasta. We licked the bowls.

Dear Jenny, sometimes I freeze tofu, and I don’t always press it, but I often cut it in cubes and bake it. It adds a nice chew.

Orema 08-07-2019 04:21 PM

Burger, fries, cherry coke.

Bèsame* 08-07-2019 04:42 PM

I'm calling for egg foo young!

homoe 08-07-2019 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orema (Post 1250552)
Burger, fries, cherry coke.

I'll have what she's having...........

nycfem 08-07-2019 06:22 PM

Thanks for the recipes and ideas, Tantalizing and Chancie. I totally am feeling so much more capable learning from you both.

Tonight was a win! I dry wokked (okay- I made that term up- I just mean cooking with no oil and no water in a wok) carrots, onions, tofu, and petite brussel sprouts. It was not watery which was great. I cooked it till it was starting to brown. Then I added. 25 cup of Gochujang (I'm forever thankful, GeorgiaMa'am!) after it was off the heat. The flavor was perfect!

Then I kind of ruined it by having a Rawmantic vegan vanilla bar after for dessert which made me way too full (It's full of nuts and seeds.). Note to self: Brussel sprouts are incredibly filling :hamactor:.

I was surprised how well the petite Brussel sprouts worked! Total victory of a meal!

I'm excited to start pressing my tofu and also to try Chancie's pasta recipe! :byebye:

girl_dee 08-07-2019 06:43 PM

Stuffed bell peppers and a side of asian salad

GeorgiaMa'am 08-07-2019 08:30 PM

nycfem - I want to try the brussel sprouts with gochujang sauce - that sounds like an awesome combination! I will report back.

Tonight I had mac and cheese and a hot dog, followed by a teeny-weeny slice of cherry cheesecake.

cathexis 08-08-2019 01:58 AM

Blue corn tortillas using a whole jar of Newman's Own med salsa
2 Chobani yogurts
Bad diet = bad catharsis = NO chocolate (horrible punishment)

Mopsie 08-08-2019 04:50 PM

Salad Bar

https://s3-media4.fl.yelpcdn.com/bph...7xJ5g/348s.jpg

Stone-Butch 08-08-2019 11:12 PM

Dinner

Tbone med rare

Baked potato with works

Steamed green beans

Iced tea.

nycfem 08-08-2019 11:19 PM

We went to the Broadway play Prom (about a lesbian who goes to prom) in midtown and then walked down the street to a vegan restaurant where we had sliders, fries, lemonade, and peach cobbler. No complaints!