Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   Body Beauty, Lifestyles (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   Are tattoos really an addiction? (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4386)

Inked_Trinity 12-28-2011 08:56 AM

Are tattoos really an addiction?

I am heavily tattooed. I recently finished a very large tattoo on my leg that runs from my hip to my ankle. There are people who say that I'm addicted to ink. This lead me to do some research about tattooing. Can it really be addicting? I read several articles on the subject. Most disagree with the concept of addiction to tattoos. I'm wondering what your thoughts are.

Linus 12-28-2011 09:02 AM

I don't know if it's an addiction as much as it's a creative desire. Most people I know who have lots of tattoos usually have an image in their mind of what they want the tattoos to look like. And often this means more than one to get the full piece of art done.

Amber2010 12-28-2011 09:19 AM

I will have to agree that it is an expression. I wanted one as a teenager and then had kids instead. LOL Last year my 18 year old niece took me for a little ride to a tattoo palar and says Aunt you always wanted one you are getting one. So she and I proceeded to each get one. I now have a little shell on my ankle that I so love and love her for taking me. My kids all rolled their eyes at me when I got home and they saw what my niece took me to do. Of course all say I need to grow up. Giggles but I love it and will always feel like it was the right thing to do for me. My little shell is an expression of me and how much I love the beach. :)

Ryobi 12-28-2011 09:38 AM

Personally, I don't think the tattoo its self is an addiction. The chemicals your body releases when getting a tattoo is what can be addictive. Endorphins and adrenalin can be very powerful "drugs". I remember how my whole body (and mind) felt after a tattoo on my shoulder. I would like to feel like that everyday however, I can't do it naturally. There has to be an outside factor to it.

I've known of people who have let bills fall behind in order to get a tattoo. I guess it doesn't feel as good to them paying their rent as it does getting a tat.

In a nut shell, I can see the addictive attributes to tattoos.

twist of lime 12-28-2011 09:39 AM

I think the entire experience can be addicting. Our senses are a powerful thing as are endorphins. Who wouldn't wanna feel good? lol

Gemme 12-28-2011 07:33 PM

If it's an addiction for the singer to sing or for the artist to paint, then yes, tattoos can be an addiction.

girl_dee 12-28-2011 07:36 PM

Oh yeah, they can be!

The_Lady_Snow 12-28-2011 07:36 PM

I vote nay

I don't have an addictive personality so when I make the decision to mark a milestone of my life upon my canvas it's just that a piece of art that tells a story to me about me.

Inked_Trinity 12-28-2011 07:45 PM

I plan mine, taking up to a year to find just the design I want. It has to fit in the spot I want it and flow with the rest of what I have.

midwest chick 12-28-2011 07:51 PM

Personally, I don't think of it as an addiction, but I've never known anyone that got tats instead of paying bills.

My daughter has a sunset on her back, it's just one of 14 that she has. My son has a few. Just like piercings, it's an expression of self, and part of their identities. Don't know where they got the idea to get them, but I also have a little art.

Because it's pretty much permanent, a lot of thought and consideration goes into body art decisions, similar to body sculpting...

It takes a lot of planning, research, time, to find or create, the design, locate an artist, and get a large tat, but the results are awesome!

Would a person that spent a year planning a vacation cruise,
they take the cruise, enjoy it
have endorphins like crazy flooding them during the vacation
be addicted to the vacation experience?

Thought, time, planning, money are involved in both scenarios, and I don't consider either to be an addiction.

Personal opinion only!!!

pajama 12-28-2011 08:41 PM

I do have an addiction proned personality. I have had my addictions. My tattoos are not one of them. I consider them a collection. Like my Jack Skellington collection, my hat collection, and my refrigerator magnet collection. LOL

I get tattoos because I think they make me look better. I love them. They are an expression of who I am. I have plans to be completely covered. I know what some of those pieces will be, other's I don't know yet.

I do like the endorphine rush, but realistically after about the 4th hour, the endorphines and adrenalin is shot and it's just raw and tender.

A

LaneyDoll 12-29-2011 10:52 AM

I think the saying "tattoos are addicting" is meant to be tongue-in-cheek. I was told that before and after I got mine. That was a few years ago and I have yet to get another one. BUT it is b/c my finances do not allow it-lol.

I can see how someone may say that they are addicting though. I think that a lot of body modifications could be.

Currently, I have one tat, ears pierced twice (thinking about a new piercing) and several artistic cuttings (thinking about a touch up). And yes, I want more.

Now, for anyone who thinks ink is addictive, try a cutting. Mine go away so I have reason to get more ;)

:sparklyheart:

foxyshaman 12-29-2011 01:58 PM

I would not say I am addicted to tattoos. And I agree after four hours, it just plain fricking hurts. I generally go into shock when I get home. My last tat, Ganesha, however, was pretty "easy" on me after. My easiest tattoo for me was Axis Mundi down my spine, but who knew that your skin moved so much with every step!! :) The next three days, not so fun.

I would say I love them. And I know I will have my entire back covered by the time I die at 84. In fact, I hope to get my last tattoo at 83. They are very meaningful to me. I cringe when I see "thoughtless" tattoos on young ones. I always think... "yeah but will Warner Brothers Emblems mean anything to you when you no longer watch Saturday morning cartoons?"

I recognize, that I am making a judgment statement regarding someone else's expression of art... and mean no offence.

I always knew I wanted a tattoo. It just took 20 years for me to decide what the first one would be.

Each tattoo is an expression of my spiritual identity. They are more "me" than much of what else is around me.

Inked_Trinity 12-29-2011 05:08 PM

When I get tattooed I tend to fall asleep. I'm not sure if it's something physical or if it's the rhythmic sound of the gun. It's totally relaxing for me. I also love the smell of the A&D ointment.

foxyshaman 12-29-2011 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inked_Trinity (Post 494533)
When I get tattooed I tend to fall asleep. I'm not sure if it's something physical or if it's the rhythmic sound of the gun. It's totally relaxing for me. I also love the smell of the A&D ointment.

Yup, nope, never fallen asleep during a tat. Lucky you....

I did however go with a friend who was getting a little iddy biddy tat on the inside of her wrist... and she cried and almost broke my fingers... inside I was laughing my ass off. It took, maybe, 30 minutes. I asked her after if she would like to have another one... I thought the tears were gonna start all over again!!

Julien 12-29-2011 06:10 PM

For me I don't know if getting a tattoo or the fact that you have a tattoo is addictive, but I know I would get another one if I knew anyone in town that I trust to do it. I haven't explored my options here in Mobile yet. My last one was ten years ago and I would love another one. I know what I want and where it's will be on me. I love the artwork that is tattooing. I love the feeling of sitting in the chair with the artist doing the tattoo. Ok I guess I love all aspects of tattoos. I get a charge out of other people making positive comments about them and I think that it is positive reinforcement for who I am.

justanolecowboy 12-29-2011 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linus (Post 493375)
I don't know if it's an addiction as much as it's a creative desire. Most people I know who have lots of tattoos usually have an image in their mind of what they want the tattoos to look like. And often this means more than one to get the full piece of art done.

______well said. :)

msW8ing 12-29-2011 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inked_Trinity (Post 494533)

I thought I was the only one that fell asleep while getting a tat...lol good to know I'm not. I wouldn't say I'm addicted to it..it is an experience I enjoy and each one of mine have a story behind it..a reason for being there. My newest one my kids got me for xmas. I love it. I'm in the process of designing two more to get soon.

Kid 12-29-2011 08:33 PM

I have 7 . Planning more when I have the cash.

Inked_Trinity 12-29-2011 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kid (Post 494704)
I have 7 . Planning more when I have the cash.

I am over 20 and still going :cheesy: