Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   Words Games, Quizzes, Etc. (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=132)
-   -   Cat got your tongue? (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6557)

Sweet Bliss 05-22-2013 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MysticOceansFL (Post 802377)
Here's a few more phrases 1. Thick as mud , meaning your hard headed, 2. Cat on a hot tin roof. *guess what that means?*

The expression "cat on a hot tin roof" means: Being very nervous and unable to sit still for a long period of time.

Today's version is "ADD" or "ADHD"

Sweet Bliss 05-22-2013 12:54 PM

Between a rock and a hard place
Meaning:

In difficulty, faced with a choice between two unsatisfactory options.

Full story: http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/b...ard-place.html

Sweet Bliss 05-30-2013 07:34 PM

get the lead out

Also, get the lead out of one's feet or pants. Hurry up, move faster. For example, Get the lead out of your pants, kids, or we'll be late, or, even more figuratively, Arthur is the slowest talker--he can't seem to get the lead out and make his point. This expression implies that lead, the heaviest of the base metals, is preventing one from moving. [Slang; first half of 1900s]

Funny, I thought it had to do with buck shot or lead bullets, or some type of military theme. Humm. Gotta be more involved than this...

Duchess 05-30-2013 08:01 PM

Unfortunately this term is used a lot in my industry.

LONG IN THE TOOTH

When a horse grows old its gums recede and if you examine its mouth it looks 'long in the tooth'.

Glenn 05-30-2013 08:12 PM

"Putting some lead in your pencil." - from the Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine.": "To insert a foreign object into ones Urethra for the enhancement of sexual pleasure, especially during masterbation." On pg. 510 of "The Complete Kama Sutra", Lead dildos were preferably used more than wood or bone because of their "soft, yet pleasant roughness."

stargazingboi 05-30-2013 08:20 PM

Happy Horseshit

A term used by the elder generation to denote frivolous activity which they find annoying.

I grew up hearing this term by my father and grandfather

"I'm tired of dealing with this happy horseshit"
"I'm not listening to your happy horseshit anymore"

I have no idea where this phrase started...I just know it was very common where I grew up.

I also grew up hearing "It's way out in east bunny f**k"....term used to describe a location that is considered to far away and not really worth it

SoSousMe 05-31-2013 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stargazingboi (Post 805943)
Happy Horseshit

A term used by the elder generation to denote frivolous activity which they find annoying.

I grew up hearing this term by my father and grandfather

"I'm tired of dealing with this happy horseshit"
"I'm not listening to your happy horseshit anymore"

I have no idea where this phrase started...I just know it was very common where I grew up.

I also grew up hearing "It's way out in east bunny f**k"....term used to describe a location that is considered to far away and not really worth it

We called that Bum Fucked Egypt... No idea why

Gemme 05-31-2013 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stargazingboi (Post 805943)

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoSousMe (Post 806154)
We called that Bum Fucked Egypt... No idea why

I heard it as BFE. I guess it took too long to say it all.

Interesting how both descriptors use the same letters.

Gráinne 05-31-2013 08:51 PM

"For the Love of Pete" and "Honest to Pete"-probably from when using the word "God" in an expletive was considered blasphemy. "Pete" probably refers to St. Peter.

puddin' 06-02-2013 03:01 PM

kiwi-isms...

she'll be right = everything will work out fine

pack a sad = to become moody, to break

puddin' 06-22-2013 12:43 PM

cackhanded = left handed, southpaw

knackered = stuffed, fagged out, rooted

snow white 07-19-2013 02:07 PM

A few from the north of England...

"Well, I'll go to the foot of our stairs!"

"He was standing there, like piffy on a rock bun"

"He's all there with his lemon drops"

: )

Sweet Bliss 07-19-2013 10:01 PM

Fabulous Snow White, thanks! I really enjoy learning more about how folks express themselves.

snow white 07-20-2013 06:41 AM

You're very welcome : )

puddin' 08-07-2013 02:17 PM

i was raised in da south (n.c.)...

"well, slap my head and call me silly!" (well, i'll be damned!)

"me-n-you are gonna mix." (get into a ruckus.)

“s/he don't got all what belongs to him/her.” (a bit crazy)

"it happened faster than a knife fight in a phone booth."

"you went around your elbow to get to your thumb!" (used for describing how one could have taken a shortcut but took the long way instead)

Mopsie 08-07-2013 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snow white (Post 824117)
A few from the north of England...

"Well, I'll go to the foot of our stairs!"

"He was standing there, like piffy on a rock bun"

"He's all there with his lemon drops"

: )

What do these mean? :blink:

Mopsie 08-07-2013 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duchess (Post 805932)
LONG IN THE TOOTH

When a horse grows old its gums recede and if you examine its mouth it looks 'long in the tooth'.

I have heard this happens to people also. :|

Sweet Bliss 09-27-2013 06:52 PM

Actually the human ear continues to grow until death. And apparently so does the hair inside them ..... ewwwwww!
:phonegab:

cinnamongrrl 09-27-2013 07:41 PM

Ohhhh I love this thread!! I am extremely interested in words, word origins and phraseology in general. There is a wonderful show on H2 called "America's Secret Slang" It even explains the origins of Y'all...and it's NOT what you think!

The Scot/Irish settled the south in a time when YE was the word for YOU. When they would talk about a group they would say Ye all....abbreviated to y'all! Fascinating stuff :)

They explain Trail blazing...so many things. I'm so enamored with that show!

Sweet Bliss 09-27-2013 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cinnamongrrl (Post 848579)
Ohhhh I love this thread!! I am extremely interested in words, word origins and phraseology in general. There is a wonderful show on H2 called "America's Secret Slang" It even explains the origins of Y'all...and it's NOT what you think!

The Scot/Irish settled the south in a time when YE was the word for YOU. When they would talk about a group they would say Ye all....abbreviated to y'all! Fascinating stuff :)

They explain Trail blazing...so many things. I'm so enamored with that show!

Holy moley, so it's not Texas folks talking funny? Hee, hee, I say it. All the time. ;)