Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Fluffy Stuff: Flirting, Humor, Chat (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   What are you reading? (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1589)

jools66 09-26-2018 07:15 AM

Breakthrough - Kris Bryant

Started reading this on monday.
her books have a tendency to draw you into her characters.
Again its not heavy going, so you probably sail through it in no time.
So far i am very engaged in it.
She also has another book out called Taste, which i have yet to read.

homoe 09-26-2018 02:25 PM

Update..........

Quote:

Originally Posted by homoe (Post 1224825)
I ordered his book Contempt off Amazon which should arrive Friday!

I can't wait to read this book and will report back........:glasses:

I'd be done with this book by now had not other events transpired in my life but let me just say.... this is a very detailed account about how an independent council works and I'm finding it fascinating. This book and the council actually starts with the investigation of Whitewater and shows how other events, twists, and turns leads it to the Monica Lewinsky scandal.

Kobi 10-14-2018 01:16 PM

The diversity delusion : how race and gender pandering corrupt the university and undermine our culture / Heather Mac Donald.

America is in crisis, from the university to the workplace. Toxic ideas first spread by higher education have undermined humanistic values, fueled intolerance, and widened divisions in our larger culture.

Students emerge into the working world believing that human beings are defined by their skin color, gender, and sexual preference, and that oppression based on these characteristics is the American experience. Speech that challenges these campus orthodoxies is silenced with brute force.

The Diversity Delusion argues that the root of this problem is the belief in America’s endemic racism and sexism, a belief that has engendered a metastasizing diversity bureaucracy in society and academia. Diversity commissars denounce meritocratic standards as discriminatory, enforce hiring quotas, and teach students and adults alike to think of themselves as perpetual victims. From #MeToo mania that blurs flirtations with criminal acts, to implicit bias and diversity compliance training that sees racism in every interaction, Heather Mac Donald argues that we are creating a nation of narrowed minds, primed for grievance, and that we are putting our competitive edge at risk.

The Diversity Delusion calls for a return to the classical liberal pursuits of open-minded inquiry and expression, by which everyone can discover a common humanity.

charley 10-14-2018 03:03 PM

A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness

I am presently reading the first book in the All Souls Trilogy by Deborah Harkness, which is called A Discovery of Witches. I've gotten as far as Chapter 5, and am enjoying it immensely. How I got to start reading it was real simple: I have seen the first 5 episodes of A Discovery of Witches, a TV series adaptation of the book which was released this year by Sky in the UK. It's really very well done, much better than the Twilight film series, sort of better cause instead of for teens it's for adults. It's got everything in it - witches, vampires and daemons; it's well scripted, great acting (and excellent casting); it also has romance, drama, suspense, crime and mystery. Can't wait for episode 6, so I began reading the book... lol

Teresa Palmer plays the "witch" , and oh boy, is she ever a hottie...!!! :cheer: She also starred in Hacksaw Ridge as Dorothy... :cheer:

Harkness has created the witch with a last name of Bishop, going back to one of the original Salem witches - one of her ancestors. So there is a lot of history involved, alchemy, etc. Btw, the two women who raised Diana Bishop (her 'aunts') are a lesbian couple of witches - one white: Sarah (played by Alex Kingston, known for her role in Doctor Who) and one a WOC: Emily (played by Valarie Pettiford) (grinz).

Wikipedia writes of the book:
  • "A Discovery of Witches was first published in hardcover on February 8, 2011, by Penguin Books, becoming a New York Times Best Seller upon its release. It has since been released in paperback and also as an ebook. The novel has been translated into more than 36 languages. The book received mostly positive feedback from literary critics. It was praised for its intelligence and the mixture of history and fantasy, although some critics felt the plot was trite and the pacing was slow. Comparisons were made between other popular fantasy series, namely Twilight and Harry Potter. The novel began as a "thought experiment" for Harkness, who had previously only published works of historical non-fiction. She drew upon her academic background as a historian and her studies of alchemy, magic, and the occult."

I would say that the pacing in the TV series is not slow at all... kudos to the screenwriters.

Curiously, all of the characters in the book seem to have a dark side, so its appeal seems to be ... um..., universal (laughs)... and that is one reason I thought to mention the book and TV series here (haha!)

IMDb listing carries a rating of 8.6 and popularity is increasing for the TV series https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2177461/

dark_crystal 10-14-2018 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charley (Post 1227991)
I am presently reading the first book in the All Souls Trilogy by Deborah Harkness, which is called A Discovery of Witches.

Love this trilogy. My book club read the first one and w all made sure to keep up after that

Excited for the series but I don’t think we can see it in US yet.

Also the a visit to the Bodleian Library is now on my bucket list

charley 10-15-2018 01:41 AM

A Discovery of Witches

Quote:

Originally Posted by dark_crystal (Post 1228032)
Love this trilogy. My book club read the first one and w all made sure to keep up after that

Excited for the series but I don’t think we can see it in US yet.

Also the a visit to the Bodleian Library is now on my bucket list

Yes, that would be fun (both you and I would enjoy such a visit); one can just see you quietly moving up to the librarian's front desk, requesting a peek at Ashmole 782, and waiting for the librarian to groan (lol).

Btw, you may have noted in the above Wikipedia quote that one critic uses the word "trite". Personally, on reflection, it must have been one sexist misogynist guy who wrote that review, since Harkness details every feeling which Bishop has, and most sexist men cannot cope with the fact that women have feelings to begin with, lol.

Personally, I enjoy all these details, as it fills in on what much of the TV series doesn't explain.

I also wanted to add that the chapter numbering in the book doesn't equate precisely with the TV episode # - it seems to follow most of the same order, but the first 4 chapters of the book are covered in episodes 1 and 2.

Wrang1er 10-15-2018 08:37 AM

I just finished "The Shack" by William P. Young. My mom was reading it and said she'd like to see the movie. I got the movie from the library and we watched it. After that, I had to read the book.

I attended a funeral last week and the preacher doing the service said some things and after reading this book it's really got me thinking.

akiza 10-19-2018 02:52 PM

i'm reading switch of william bayer i wouldn't be against something more gore but this one will do

Orema 10-20-2018 06:16 AM

An interview with Viola Davis: 'I stifled who I was to be seen as pretty. I lost years'

From The Guardian; Success hasn’t come easy for the Oscar-winning star. She talks to Benjamin Lee about the limited roles black actors are offered, why The Help was a missed opportunity, and how she learned to take the lead – in life and on screen

https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...years-the-help

jools66 10-21-2018 01:23 AM

TINA TURNER - MY LOVE STORY

Hi everyone. Just started to read this yesterday, and I have to say so far I am loving it.
Having admired her and loving her music for so many years now I had Pre-ordered this on amazon.
There are still bits I didn't know even about her childhood.
Will let you know if it's just as good of a read at the end of the book.
But so far it's a book worth buying and reading.

tantalizingfemme 10-21-2018 04:05 AM

I am re-reading The Alchemist.

Venus007 10-27-2018 04:47 PM

"The Hero with a Thousand Faces" Joseph Campbell

Still craving fairy tales, myths and folk tales.
I'm digging deeper into the universal underpinnings I suppose

Wrang1er 10-31-2018 11:48 AM

A Long Way Home - A Boy's Incredible Journey from India to Australia and Back Again by Saroo Brierley.

I recently watched this movie and it made me want to read the book.

ReadandSnapFemme 10-31-2018 01:22 PM

The Theif by J.R. Ward... Not impressed but I will finish it regardless.

homoe 11-14-2018 10:46 AM

Paper Love by Jae...........

Susanne Wolff isn’t thrilled when her mother sends her all the way across the country to Freiburg to save her uncle’s stationery store from bankruptcy. Freiburg is too provincial for her taste, and besides, pen and paper are outdated anyway.

Anja Lamm, Paper Love’s only full-time employee, takes an instant dislike to the arrogant, digital-loving snob who’s supposed to be her temporary boss.

If you like journals, diaries, fine writing instruments, and a love story, this book just might be for you!

I'm enjoying it immensely..:glasses:

PlatinumPearl 11-14-2018 11:00 AM

Reading...

The Power of Now, Eckhard Tolle and The Law of Attraction, Esther and Jerry Hicks.

I'm trying to get my vibration right for a certain manifestation. :stillheart:

homoe 11-18-2018 04:20 PM

The newest Triple A Tour Book that lists places in The Windy City that I may want to check out.....

homoe 12-13-2018 12:22 PM

Nothing at the moment...........

Any suggestions?

Lyte 12-13-2018 06:48 PM

Couple of weeks ago I was flipping channels, stopped at the local PBS station right when Daniel G. Amen, MD was making the point that Psychology/Psychiatry was the only medical field where the physician doesn't exam the organ/structure that's causing the problem. For example, if you have a problem with digestive system... the Gastroenterologist will x-ray, CAT … etc... etc... scope your guts. :p Bone or joint issue... Orthopedists will x-ray, CAT, MRI... etc... etc... your bones. Psychologist/Psychiatrist still (for the most part) make their diagnosis and decide on treatment based on symptoms alone. I thought... yeah, that's true. I became intrigued and bought the book connected to the show...

Feel Better Fast and Make It Last: Unlock Your Brain’s Healing Potential to Overcome Negativity, Anxiety, Anger, Stress, and Trauma

I'm only a couple of chapters in and it's very interesting! :koolaid:

homoe 12-25-2018 08:17 PM

Come with Me by Helen Schulman

From Helen Schulman, the acclaimed author of the New York Times bestseller This Beautiful Life, comes another "gripping, potent, and blisteringly well-written story of family, dilemma, and consequence" (Elizabeth Gilbert)—a mind-bending novel set in Silicon Valley that challenges our modern constructs of attachment and love, purpose and fate.

Got it as a gift, looks good...:glasses: