Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fine Wine: Folks Over 50 (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   What do you feel "too old" for? (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3692)

Gráinne 08-17-2011 12:28 AM

What do you feel "too old" for?

I was having a conversation with a younger friend, who because she is over (x) years old, believes she is too old for cuddle parties, getting a tattoo,travel, all kinds of things. I came right out and told her that I'm (x+never mind) years old, and blast my age, I'll be doing all those things and lots of other crazy stuff until I die. If you rest, you rust, I say.

I began to think that, except for dressing like my teenage daughter, I'm not really "too old" for much. I don't have the same social needs as a younger woman, and don't get a lot out of clubbing like a disco duck anymore, but it doesn't mean I would never go out dancing. If I made a great effort at getting into shape, I'd run marathons, but maybe flipping around in cartwheels isn't a great idea. I can't eat like I used to when I was younger, but that's a change I wanted to make anyway. But I can't offhand think of anything else.

Are there any activities that someone of (x+y) years is "too old" for, in your thoughts? How many of you have done something like bungee jumping or sky diving, or traveled to some far corner?

Martina 08-17-2011 02:15 AM

i see people my age out there surfing fairly often, but i assume they've been surfing for years. i am definitely too old to start.

gotoseagrl 08-17-2011 03:18 AM

insomnia....

NJFemmie 08-17-2011 05:17 AM

Rollerskating/blading.

I used to be so good when I was younger. I mean, REALLY good.

Then Mare took me to a roller rink after x-amount of years later and I realized I can't do that anymore. My mind remembered how - but my body said "oh hell no". Now it hurts when I fall, lol. The kind of ouchie that keeps me laid up for days.

I'm sure that if I picked it up and continued to practice it'll all come back, but at this point in my life - it's a been there, done that - and I'm okay with that. But I refuse to never say never.

:)

luv2luvgirls 08-17-2011 05:39 AM

yes I cant pull all nighters anymore and still function the following day :D
but if I was still in Fla I would so still surf. I do skateboard still,but i have skater nephews and a lil one that likes to do stuff with me...keeps me young :)
Though I found out I can only last like 20 or 30 minutes during a watergun fight and im worn out :|

suebee 08-17-2011 06:31 AM

Tube tops. Of course I was too old for tube tops by the time tube tops were invented Thank Gawd! :|

*Anya* 08-17-2011 06:40 AM

I feel too old to:

To old to do what my first GF & I used to do. We would work a double-shift (7:00AM to 11:30PM) @ the hospital, take a shower in the nurses lounge, get glammed up (hey we were both femmes-it was before I realized butches "did it" for me), we would drive to LA from OC, go to Peanuts (no longer there, but it was a great lesbian bar with dance floor) and we would dance until the bar closed. We would dance nearly every song.

We then would drive back to OC, sleep for 2-3 hours and get up and be at work for the morning shift Saturday morning, from 7AM to 3:30PM.

That is the difference between being in your 20's and 50's! Maybe I should make an "I" statement here- I am sure some 50+ year-old can still do this but there is no way I could physically do this now.

Do I wish that I still could, oh yes. They were fun, fun times!

Dominique 08-17-2011 06:52 AM

speaking of double shifts

I have no doubt I can still work 7a to 11p....even several days in a row

BUT I have my doubts, so I'll suffice to say, I'm too old to pull a double shift going 3p to 7a or worse yet 11p to 3p.

Notice no mentioning of clubbing and working. :blink:

tapu 08-17-2011 06:58 AM

Roller coasters and motorcycles. It no longer feels like, "Hey, everybody dies--let's go!"

tapu 08-17-2011 07:01 AM

Tending bar. (In a dance bar at least.) Anya's mention of Peanuts made me think back.... :)

Hey, Anya, remember:
Rage, Revolver, Executive Suite, The Flame?

*Anya* 08-17-2011 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tapu (Post 400185)
Tending bar. (In a dance bar at least.) Anya's mention of Peanuts made me think back.... :)

Hey, Anya, remember:
Rage, Revolver, Executive Suite, The Flame?

Yes I do remember all if them. I went to the Executive Suite frequently because it was close to OC. It is/was in Long Beach-a few years ago drove by @ night saw a group of younger lesbians hanging around outside. They reminded me of my former self. It may still be there. I used to go there a lot.

I have been wracking my brains trying to remember the lesbian bar in Garden Grove, a dive, that all the OC lesbians went to.

I went once, by myself, when I first came out. All the older butches were hanging around by the back door-looked me up and down in my femme heels, etc., laughing saying: "well, well, what DO we have here?" Kind of like I was lost in the wrong place.

Memories...

JazzGirl 08-17-2011 07:30 AM

Participating in a mosh pit. :|

Jazzie

Novelafemme 08-17-2011 07:31 AM

i've never gone sky diving, but one of my preceptors recently invited my group and i to go indoor sky diving up in Phoenix in September and i jumped on it. :) <pun intended>

i have been bridge jumping minus the bungee, so that must count for something! ;)

i am a total daredevil and love extreme sports/activities and i hope i'm never too old for anything. i've done 5k's and halves and love to run but still have a full marathon to tuck under my belt. soon though!

Daktari 08-17-2011 07:46 AM

Whilst yer never too old to go out clubbing and dancing I only do it nowadays to remind myself why I don't go out clubbing and dancing anymore!
It certainly takes me days to recover whereas once upon a time, when I used to go out on Friday and not go home until Monday morning, all it took was a shower, a hearty breakfast and I felt ready for the week. To be fair, that was half a life-time ago. :blink:

Dean Thoreau 08-17-2011 07:50 AM

work and chores
I just want to have fun, discover and do silly crazy things because they sound interesting and I think I might want to try them or enjoy them.
work/employment is getting in the way of that. And during the school year I must admit I am physically tired by the time I get home...so my oh lets try this zest is more of a ...oh lets think about that a bit more ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ kind of thing.
I dont want to mow the lawn, tend the gardens or any of that stuff,,,well only when I want to not when it wants me to...see the difference?And right now it wants me to do those things once a week and I am more inclined to think once a month....

Jess 08-17-2011 08:02 AM

contortion... I was up on the roof of the new garden shed I am building yesterday evening, crawling around laying strips to attach the roofing and when I got up to climb back down the ladder, my knees and legs turned to jello. LMAO! I got down and was like jesus god WTF???

I still take on tasks that in my 20's or 30's even were undaunting... I just have to allow a good deal more time to complete some of them and make sure not to take on physically rigorous/ dangerous things when I am less than 100%

( I personally prefer other ways to make "jello legs")

Kelt 08-17-2011 08:12 AM

Drama.....

tapu 08-17-2011 08:23 AM

I am not feeling too kindly toward this topic right now.... I JUST got an email from AARP. Excuse me, but when is that supposed to start???

JAGG 08-17-2011 08:35 AM

The only thing I think I'm too old for, is being pushed in a baby stroller. Other than that I'm game for everything, where do I sign? What time does the plane leave? Let's go !! Will there be music and fireworks?

Rockinonahigh 08-17-2011 08:51 AM

As long as my body holds up ,even tho it has its problms,im readyto do what ever I want to do..age whats that?

theoddz 08-17-2011 09:03 AM

Okay, I'm NOT too old to think back on those days Anya/Georgia and Tapu were talking about!! I was stationed at Camp Pendleton from '79 to '81 and I remember staying out all night (on the weekends) and partying at those places like (San Diego) The Apartment, The Club (Laurel/Kettner), Diablo's (El Cajon Blvd), The Brass Rail, etc. In LA, it was Peanuts and in Long Beach, Que Sera. Oh, and there was this wonderful little bar in Palm Springs called "Aunt Hatties". We used to drunk line dance there, which is something I am waaaaay too old to do now. :|

Oh, and I'm too old and crippled to disco dance anymore, and I used to do that much better after a couple of shots of JD, chased with a few beers. I'm too old to drink like that anymore, too. In fact, I take too many meds to drink at all, these days.

...and I'm waaaaaaaayyyy (and crippled) to run a Marine Corps physical fitness test now. I used to run those hung over. Ugh. :seeingstars:

Those were the days!!! :hangloose:

But.....I ain't too damned old to remember...and still enjoy this, which I had on 8-track and used to listen to in my '78 Camaro:

Thanks for the stroll down memory lane!! :winky:

~Theo~ :bouquet:

JoSchmooze 08-17-2011 09:16 AM

Just yesterday...

I was at the grocery and stopped tpo have bread sliced. The oly one in the bakery was Sue. who does the cake decorations....She had 6 cakes lined up for the day. She told me that Saturday was a killer - she had 15 to do before 3 pm!

We talked for a few minutes about all our ailments, surgeries and tried to refer each other to the best ortho, best neuro, best back doc.

I am too old to play softball any longer, as I played the catcher position. No way can I squat for 2-3 hours and expect to stand for longer than 20 minutes!

But I can still find my way around a dance floor for a few 2 steps and sing karaoke until the cows come home! And "jello legs" are appropriate, but few and far between....*wink*

Soft*Silver 08-17-2011 12:07 PM

I dont know if I am too old for, or just too banged up for, things. I cant garden like I use to. But thats ok. I dont eat like I use to, so smaller gardens are good.

I cant eat like I use to. Not just smaller amounts but I also cant eat spicy things, heavy meats or sauces, milk products and items known to create high cholestral.

I cant love like I use to. I am way too guarded and damaged.

Dude 08-17-2011 12:15 PM

:farmbull::crap:

tapu 08-17-2011 12:38 PM

I just wonder.... Could theOddz, Anya, and I have ever met up? I hit those bars in every town you named.

Think back:

I tended bar at the Flame for about a year and a half.
I tended bar at the Dinah Shore open, can't remember what year.
I worked door guard at the Boom-Boom Room, wearing a vintage leather jacket. (Laguna Beach, mostly men's bar. Had full aquariums under the bar so that when you leaned your elbows on it, you were staring down at tropical fish! Hard to forget that....)

Does any of this ring a bell? Probably not, but it would be cool if so.

Hey, I wonder if AARP ever holds any parties there.... :p

Mister Bent 08-17-2011 12:40 PM

Strep throat.

Daktari 08-17-2011 02:00 PM

...My Bart Simpson Born to be Bad shorts :sigh:

Fancy 08-17-2011 02:57 PM

some days, risk.

Strappie 08-17-2011 04:33 PM

Nothing really... If I said that too often there wouldn't be anything for me to do!

I can only live once, well unless I come back as something else. Lord only knows what that would be.. lol

pajama 08-17-2011 04:58 PM

Moving. As in, loading heavy things on a truck, unloading them, then carrying them up stairs. Never again.

Sachita 08-17-2011 05:28 PM

can't drink like I use to. Not even close.
can't eat spicy food like I use to without paying for it
can't deal with heat

won't and don't put up with nonsense or head games like I use to. Way too old for that

Abigail Crabby 08-17-2011 06:09 PM

I've been everywhere you talked about in San Diego Theo lol

Those are the places I came out at.......wow Memories.

I'm not too old for anything.......In fact these days I feel up to just about anything.

I work with someone who wants to go sky diving.....and I'm like ok why not jump out of a perfectly good airplane lol I know I would be screaming all the way down.

But hey it just might be my Christmas gift to myself - hehehehe

Remember you're only as old as ya feel - and I feel fine......

Ebon 08-17-2011 06:22 PM

Drama
Going out drinking too much. The dancing part I could still do as long as it's house music or a great band.
The music on the radio.
Holding on to petty stuff.
Wasting my time with bs. I guess that goes with drama.

*Anya* 08-17-2011 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tapu (Post 400346)
I just wonder.... Could theOddz, Anya, and I have ever met up? I hit those bars in every town you named.

Think back:

I tended bar at the Flame for about a year and a half.
I tended bar at the Dinah Shore open, can't remember what year.
I worked door guard at the Boom-Boom Room, wearing a vintage leather jacket. (Laguna Beach, mostly men's bar. Had full aquariums under the bar so that when you leaned your elbows on it, you were staring down at tropical fish! Hard to forget that....)

Does any of this ring a bell? Probably not, but it would be cool if so.

Hey, I wonder if AARP ever holds any parties there.... :p

I was thinking about this earlier today, Theoddz posted about driving up from Pendleton 79-81 to go to Peanuts. We could have been dancing side by side and never knew it!

I was the femme wearing my hair in a big afro-type 'do (I thought it would be a good idea to get a perm though my hair is naturally curly) dancing with the Greek beauty with hair down to her waist!

Tapu, looking at your avatar I couldn't recall If I had seen you though I did go to the Boom Boom Room several times.

deb_U_taunt 08-17-2011 07:11 PM

Spending ALL day walking and working in heels over 2 inches.

Venus007 08-17-2011 10:52 PM

Bullshit
Drama
Excuses

Corkey 08-17-2011 11:18 PM

Games, and people who play them.
Drama

MysticOceansFL 08-17-2011 11:27 PM

Roller Coaster games and the people that play them aka Drama MaMa's

Greyson 08-18-2011 12:55 AM

To still be up this late during the work week. :|

gotoseagrl 08-18-2011 01:19 AM