Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hobbies, Crafts, Interests (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Penpals, Scrapbookers, Postcard Artists and Other Creative Types (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=235)

Gemme 09-08-2016 05:44 AM

Thanks, you two.

The season's are changing and it would make sense to do a fall or autumn themed project but on the other hand, we've done that a few times already. So I was thinking about some of the projects we've had this past year and many of them were open-ended in either theme or materials, which allowed for a wider variety of interpretations. If it's acceptable to everyone, I'd like to do another one of those that just gives basic guidelines and lets you have a little more autonomy.

Some examples could be using weaving in the project and keeping the theme open, incorporating flowers (drawing, painting, papercrafting them, 3D) somehow, using paper bags as a main material component, doing an image transfer, or using metal (Jo-Ann's sells packages of sheet metal that is thin enough to go through embossing machines or you could incorporate found metal bits or you could beat out pieces into a shape and adhere it to the base.....good stress workout!).

Normal house rules would apply, of course, and the mailing would be taken into consideration for the size determination based on which of these seems more interesting to you all.

By focusing more on the materials, that keeps the theme open so if you did want to do a fall/autumn themed project, you could and if you didn't, you wouldn't be required to do so.

Feedback?

nanners 09-08-2016 06:18 AM

I like Gemme's idea but I know I'm much too busy this month to participate. Carry on artists!

nycfem 09-08-2016 09:27 AM

Gemme, I like that idea. Just to clarify, it doesn't need to be one of the three materials you listed right? Like I could pick a different type of material and focus on that, correct?

candy_coated_bitch 09-08-2016 12:36 PM

I will admit the theme of weaving is not my favorite and I would sit this one out. Which is no reason not to carry on without me. :)

clay 09-08-2016 01:00 PM

Gemme...when you used the term "weaving" in the description, did you use it to mean "incorporating" the medium into project or did you mean to actually "weave". That has me a bit cornfused...lol

I appreciate any clarification...thanks my friend!!!!:hangloose:

nycfem 09-08-2016 02:09 PM

Do we need a loom for this project, Gemme?

cara 09-08-2016 03:34 PM

This project sounds cool. I will keep my eyes and ears open for when sign ups occur.

Cara

Gemme 09-08-2016 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nycfem (Post 1090439)
Gemme, I like that idea. Just to clarify, it doesn't need to be one of the three materials you listed right? Like I could pick a different type of material and focus on that, correct?

I actually threw out 5 different ideas. It would be pretty complicated to have all that in one project, wouldn't it? lol

My thoughts were that I'd give you all a list of what I was thinking of and whichever one seemed to be the most popular, we'd go with that one for the time being.

Does that make more sense?

For example, one project would be a metal project. If you do jewelry, you could incorporate the wires used in that to qualify for the metal component or you could use bits of brickabrack you found during a walk or you could use metal sheets for a background.

A different project would be the weaving project and I literally mean that something would need to be weaved, like this.

Yet another project would be the paper bag project in which you would use a paper bag in the project, either as a base or as a component of the project.

Then there's the flower project. This is super simple but we could take it abstract or 3D. This project is limitless in options.

Finally, the image transfer project, which is exactly what it sounds like. You would transfer an image and incorporate it into your project.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nycfem (Post 1090464)
Do we need a loom for this project, Gemme?

Only if you have one already!

Actually, now that I think about it.....there's another option that y'all might enjoy. If most of you were okay with a handful of parameters, then maybe a coordinated project might work.

What do you all think about one of those? I start with an idea and leave 2 or 3 other parameters blank and you all put your input in and we vote on the favorites. We could wind up with a crazy fantastic project that way!

For example, if I said the project had to contain metal and then allowed for 3 other parameters, we would choose the top 3 favorite ideas which could be anything from collage to a specific color to another material requirement.

What do you think about that? I've got project ideas for days, so I'm good with any of the ideas I've bounced around. I do like the idea that the participants would have input before the final parameters were determined. That makes me a happy girl because I think everyone would enjoy themselves more if a part of them and their choice were included.

GeorgiaMa'am 09-08-2016 06:45 PM

I like the idea of weaving. The other ideas aren't striking me with any immediate inspiration, but some may develop as I ruminate on them for awhile.

nycfem 09-08-2016 06:47 PM

I'm with you. The weaving looked pretty cool and not as intimidating as I thought.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeorgiaMa'am (Post 1090527)
I like the idea of weaving. The other ideas aren't striking me with any immediate inspiration, but some may develop as I ruminate on them for awhile.

Bèsame* 09-08-2016 07:08 PM

weaving, my mind is a working on that already :)

Gemme 09-08-2016 08:03 PM

A weaving project seems to be the popular choice. I'll see what the rest of the usual suspects say and we'll get the ball rolling soon if everyone's up for it, since nyc mailed our packages already.

Tommi 09-08-2016 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nycfem (Post 1089808)
Nanners cards arrived today and are fabulous! I will mail out packages tomorrow! Oh my goodness, this has been fun :)

Love the postscecrets. I get to explore my mind. :fireman::pirate-steer::rrose::phonegab::police::moonstars:

clay 09-08-2016 09:21 PM

Since I have both colored papers & such AND I have jewelry making wire, etc...my choice is to use the weaving method and follow some other ideas/parameters we all decide upon.

Either way...wicked cool ideas ohhhh Gemme one!!!

candy_coated_bitch 09-08-2016 09:35 PM

My mind is getting intrigued by the weaving the more i think about it....

Gemme 09-08-2016 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by candy_coated_bitch (Post 1090660)
My mind is getting intrigued by the weaving the more i think about it....

Good. I was hoping the idea would grow on you. The amount of weaving would be up to you, so it wouldn't have to be one big piece or anything. As long as we could tell it's in there, you'd be good.

So, is anyone up for adding a couple more components or would the majority prefer just to work with the weaving parameter?

Gemme 09-08-2016 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clay (Post 1090657)
Since I have both colored papers & such AND I have jewelry making wire, etc...my choice is to use the weaving method and follow some other ideas/parameters we all decide upon.

Either way...wicked cool ideas ohhhh Gemme one!!!

Careful there. You're starting to sound like a New Englander with that wicked talk.

;)

candy_coated_bitch 09-09-2016 03:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gemme (Post 1090671)
Good. I was hoping the idea would grow on you. The amount of weaving would be up to you, so it wouldn't have to be one big piece or anything. As long as we could tell it's in there, you'd be good.

So, is anyone up for adding a couple more components or would the majority prefer just to work with the weaving parameter?

I'd like to see more components to make things interesting.

clay 09-09-2016 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gemme (Post 1090671)

snipped part of Gemme's post...:)

I am along for the ride, too! A couple more components would make it more interesting plus give each of us more choices.....I LIKE it!!

Gemme 09-09-2016 02:51 PM

Great!

I'm interested in astrology and have always had a bit of a fascination with Chinese Astrology and the Five Elements.

Here is my proposal: in addition to the method of weaving, choose one element (metal, wood, water, fire, earth) and one other option of your choice (zodiac signs, colors, seasons, directions, diseases, tastes, heavenly creatures) from the Five Elements Grid below. If you are familiar with this grid, then you know I've subtracted some options. I really don't want something connected to a bodily organ so that went out the window.

The Five Elements Grid

Elements Metal Wood Water Fire Earth (ONE OF THESE)

PLUS ONE OF THESE

Zodiac signs (yang) Monkey Tiger Rat Horse Dragon/Dog
Zodiac signs (yin) Rooster Rabbit Pig Snake Ox/Sheep
Colors White Green Black Red Brown
Seasons Autumn Spring Winter Summer Intermediate
Directions West East North South Central
Diseases Dry Wind Cold Hot Wet
Tastes Spicy Sour Salty Bitter Sweet
Planets Venus Jupiter Mercury Mars Saturn
Heavenly Creatures White Tiger Green Dragon Black Tortoise Vermilion Bird Yellow Dragon

The possibilities are limitless and the project could be completely abstract in nature or very literal, as in a piece of the ocean. The waves could be woven and that would take care of the element of water and the disease of wet or cold or you could relay wind somehow.

I don't want anyone to overthink this. For those that want to do a fall/autumn themed project, there's your season right there. Just weave something and include an element, which could be rain or a bonfire or earthy leaves.

I would love for this project to be an adventure in creativity but not so difficult that anyone loses interest or enjoyment in it.

If someone wants to include more than the minimum requirements, by all means, do so. But there would only be three required components: weaving, an element and one other grid option of your choice.

Does this sound like something you would like to do?