Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   Celebrity, Music, Television, Internet Culture (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Will you please tell me about lesbian, b-f, ftm, etc movies you have enjoyed. (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2946)

iamkeri1 03-13-2011 02:35 AM

Will you please tell me about lesbian, b-f, ftm, etc movies you have enjoyed.

Hi y'all
A recent visit from a friend enlightened me to the fact that I have missed out on many great films I would really like to see. I'd really appreciate it if you would recommend your favorites.

Thanks so much for your help.
Smooches,
Keri

CherryFemme 03-14-2011 12:16 AM

Lesbian Movie List

Oh do I have a lesbian film for you to watch---

Claire of the Moon

But Wait-- You mentioned the word "enjoy" and I would not say that I "enjoyed" this film very much per se...but it is a lesbian film.

This film was a "must see" for all new housemates in the Santa Cruz Radical Lesbian Seperatist Commune*** that I lived in when I was very young.

If you decide to watch it, you may want to include a bottle of Jack to help you get through it.

Another radical lesbian seperatist movie that the commune had on hand was.... Salmonberries. Again, I reccomend you watching this with a bottle of your favorite spirit.

This film is a must-see for all KD Lang fans who always wanted to see her naked.

:)

~CF

***(before you judge me too harshly, please know that yes, I was kicked out because I was busted wearing lipstick/heels that were in serious violation of radical lesbian policy-- not to mention the tg butch who was in the early stages of transition who I began dating. Again, I was very young.)

betenoire 03-14-2011 12:25 AM

I thought this movie was kinda interesting:

and besides, who doesn't like the circus?

Arwen 03-14-2011 12:26 AM

I loved "Desert Hearts".

"Clare of the Moon" would take more than one bottle of Jack for me to watch again. I actually paid money to see that awful thing. UGH

betenoire 03-14-2011 12:31 AM

Oh, and I'm not going to lie. I genuinely LOVE this movie:

And the soundtrack is fucking awesome.

(No, it's not specifically a "lesbian movie". But it IS a really rad movie!)

CherryFemme 03-14-2011 12:52 AM

Exidos

Quote:

Originally Posted by betenoire (Post 300868)

Oh good call, Ms. B. I loved that movie-- even tho' it was a little close to home.
(My mother was really into Exidos International, need I say more?)

~CF

betenoire 03-14-2011 01:01 AM

Ugh, Cherry. That's hard. :(

~~~

I've never seen this, but always meant to.

betenoire 03-14-2011 01:13 AM

I hated this movie:

Oh god, I remember all of my friends were like "you haaaaave to see this movie! the fingernail clipping scene is soooooo hot." I just really -really- hated it.

But, you know. Clearly lots of people liked it - so there's a chance that you might. :)

CherryFemme 03-14-2011 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by betenoire (Post 300875)
I hated this movie:

Oh god, I remember all of my friends were like "you haaaaave to see this movie! the fingernail clipping scene is soooooo hot." I just really -really- hated it.

But, you know. Clearly lots of people liked it - so there's a chance that you might. :)

We had the same friends. I had to watch the stupid fingernail clipping scene too-- over and over and over. My friends kept re-winding "the clipping" scene and freaking out. You would have thought that Lancelot just found the holy grail.

Did you see Heavenly Creatures?

~CF

betenoire 03-14-2011 01:37 AM

Nick owns and loves the hell out of this movie. I thought it was sweet, but I don't know that I could watch it over and over again or anything. I DO love me some Sharon Gless, though.

~~~

It's worth a watch (it's not specifically a lesbian movie, but it's relevant). I LOVE Ally Sheedy. The movie was pretty good - although it's also part of what prompted my "oh my god, can someone please make a queer movie where the women aren't total assholes or on drugs and nobody dies or has a hidden agenda?" meltdown. ;)

~~~

Worth watching for the reference to what Little Sister's (Queer bookstore in Vancouver) was dealing with at the time this movie was made. Also super fun = Maggie's angel outfit, the mom cracking open every vibrator she can find in search for more batteries, and "I'm Not A Fucking Drag Queen".

~~~

It's been a long time, so I can't remember how much I genuinely liked this movie. I DO remember that when I saw it that it met my "post teenage angst" needs quite nicely, that I liked the soundtrack, and that the girl with the pink hair was my hero

betenoire 03-14-2011 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CherryFemme (Post 300879)
Did you see Heavenly Creatures?

~CF

Yeah, I saw Heavenly Creatures. I never got the impression that the two young women were -actually- lesbians...I just thought that they were unhealthy. And I mean, obviously they were unhealthy. Holy shit.

I really love Kate Winslet and Melanie Lynskey, though. I don't think I've ever not liked anything that either of them has ever done. (was that grammatically sensible??)

CherryFemme 03-14-2011 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by betenoire (Post 300883)
I really love Kate Winslet and Melanie Lynskey, though. I don't think I've ever not liked anything that either of them has ever done. (was that grammatically sensible??)

Solid performance and I enjoyed the writing on an event that was based on a true story.

Ok-- How about Gia?

I keep waiting for someone to mention "A Girl Thing".

*sigh* I was very sad when I watched that movie. I wanted it to be something it was not. I kept waiting for "the butch" to enter a scene and they never did. Very Disappointing. C-

~CF

dykeumentary 03-14-2011 01:57 AM

Catherine Deneueve and Susan Sarandan doing it in "The Hunger."

Ok, I will be honest, Catherine Deneuve and/or Susan Sarandan doing anything in anything is hot, but doing it with each other is mind boggling! (then toss in David Bowie and Ann Magnusen... )*fans self*

CherryFemme 03-14-2011 02:05 AM

Movie Notes

[QUOTE=betenoire;300880]
ALLY SHEEDY and HIGH ART
~~~

LOL I watched this ONLY because Ally Sheedy was in it. I think I had a left-over crush on her from "The Breakfast Club".
It's worth a watch (it's not specifically a lesbian movie, but it's relevant). I LOVE Ally Sheedy. The movie was pretty good - although it's also part of what prompted my "oh my god, can someone please make a queer movie where the women aren't total assholes or on drugs and nobody dies or has a hidden agenda?" meltdown. ;)

The ending was very "Children's Hour" -ish. Again, another let down. I wanted Ally to end up differently and be a hell of a lot stronger. She started out well, but in the end, I give this one a C-.

~~~

betenoire 03-14-2011 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CherryFemme (Post 300885)
Solid performance and I enjoyed the writing on an event that was based on a true story.

Ok-- How about Gia?

I keep waiting for someone to mention "A Girl Thing".

*sigh* I was very sad when I watched that movie. I wanted it to be something it was not. I kept waiting for "the butch" to enter a scene and they never did. Very Disappointing. C-

~CF

I've actually never seen Gia all the way through, if you can believe it. I keep TRYING to watch it but for some reason it never works out. (Like I get distracted, or the phone rings, or I fall asleep, or or or.) Besides, I cannot STAND Angelina Jolie. :(

I've also never seen A Girl Thing. Or heard of it, wow.

You know, my favourite movies that I consider "Queer" movies aren't even necessarily queer - if that makes sense. Like Foxfire, for example. It's about young women figuring their shit out and taking care of themselves and each other and growing up - it's just the sort of thing that speaks to the little bi-dyke in me in a way that movies that are actually ABOUT being Queer never can/do.

And besides (re: Foxfire) Jenny Shimizu is so hot that I could just about crawl right out of my skin. ;)

betenoire 03-14-2011 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dykeumentary (Post 300886)

Ok, I will be honest, Catherine Deneuve and/or Susan Sarandan doing anything in anything is hot, but doing it with each other is mind boggling! (then toss in David Bowie and Ann Magnusen... )*fans self*

Oh HELL to the yes on that! :)

CherryFemme 03-14-2011 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dykeumentary (Post 300886)

Ok-- that was a good one. Good call.

I mean, who would not want to do Catherine Deneueve?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Along the lines of "But I'm A Cheerleader" ~~ "Oranges are not the only Fruit"

I enjoyed the drama, but... I enjoyed the book more.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Speaking of Books I enjoyed more...
"Tipping the Velvet"

But the movie was still played out pretty well... I am not slamming it as much as I am Claire of the Moon... then again, blackboot HATED it.

Movies, like art, are subjective.

~CF

betenoire 03-14-2011 02:24 AM

And I know that these are "boy movies" but they're actually both pretty great:

This is one of my favourite movies. I can't help it.

Best line ever: "Are you saying that my Nino is banging your Angelo?" "No, I'm saying it's the other way around!"

~~~

Okay, it's not fantastic. But I have a real soft spot for the 80s -and- "coming of age" movies, so...

Besides: Bonus points for Lea DeLaria!

CherryFemme 03-14-2011 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by betenoire (Post 300893)
And I know that these are "boy movies" but they're actually both pretty great

Besides: Bonus points for Lea DeLaria!

oooo if we are going review Gay boy flicks, we totally need to include Jeff Stryker’s Underground 1997 and can I add something by Peter North? <wink>

Oh wait, I think we are deviating off topic here...

ok-- back to Keri's Request:

Remember these?

1. Southern Comfort
2. Sir: Just a Normal Guy
3. Venus Boys (or was it Venus Boyz-- I forget)

Oh oh oh-- and Hedwig and the Angry Inch? I mean, hey... if we are brainstorming at midnight...

You mentioned soundtracks... I still play my "Priscilla Queen of the Desert" soundtrack when I go on roadtrips to North Shore. (ops..once again, deviating off topic, but I think there is a reference to a lesbian someplace in the film?)

Ok-- my last post before I pass out from exhaustion... I saw a couple of really great flicks through the Tranny Fest (San Francisco Transgender Film Festival) but I cannot find their titles. It would be another great place to look for films tho'.

XXOO,
~CF

Night Bet.

betenoire 03-14-2011 03:13 AM

Goodnight, Cherry. :) I'm outta here for the night too.

dykeumentary 03-14-2011 03:19 AM

"Muriel's Wedding" is one of my favorite all-time movies. Especially delicious because I see it as "queer," although the plot is superficially "straight." Remember those years in the 90s when Australian film was so fabulous?

iamkeri1 03-14-2011 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by betenoire (Post 300890)
Oh HELL to the yes on that! :)

Oh Hell to the yes is soo right, but I get Susan Sarandon!!! She cannot possible be un-hot. I have seen her in roles that played by others would have been gross ... but by her, the are Hot hot hot. mmm mmm mmm

Now give me that fan!!! (Oh! Sorry - forgot to say "please.") :drool:
Smooches,
Keri

SelfMadeMan 03-14-2011 06:00 AM

Some must-sees (IMHO) from the Trans genre...

Soldier's Girl - It's hard to watch, it's a true story about a soldier who falls in love with a transwoman, not for the faint of heart, but very well done and an important story.

Normal - I've watched this movie soooo many times and love it. And it makes me get that painful lump in my throat every time. You HAVE to see this if you haven't already - Jessica Lange and Tom Wilkinson are both incredible in this.

Boys Don't Cry - Most of you have probably seen this, but can't make a list without it.

And a wonderful, sad, but important documentary if you haven't seen it.
Southern Comfort, the story of a man killed by an ignorant medical establishment.

greenheart 03-14-2011 07:26 AM

I love this Television soap opera in United Kingdom "Bad Girls" season 1-4. with helen and nikki as the main character. i fall in love with this movie because their acting are natural.i got hooked with this movie. i wish somebody will give me the DVD version of this movie and send it to me here in the Philippines. and i love also the book "Bad Girls The Inside Story."

Queerasfck 03-14-2011 08:11 AM

My favorite is "The incredible True Adventures of Two Girls in Love." I can't believe it hasn't been mentioned yet. True, it's light weight fun most of the time.

Great writing, and I love that a true hard core butch relative Randy Dean lives with. Representin'

Pixie 03-14-2011 08:25 AM

Bound
Boys Don't Cry
Soldiers Girl
Tipping the Velvet
Mango Kiss

The_Lady_Snow 03-14-2011 08:29 AM

http://itz-a-bellacompanyllc.com/sit...ongTrilogy.jpg

betenoire 03-14-2011 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dykeumentary (Post 300898)
"Muriel's Wedding" is one of my favorite all-time movies. Especially delicious because I see it as "queer," although the plot is superficially "straight." Remember those years in the 90s when Australian film was so fabulous?

That movie was super great! Toni Collette is a super fun actress. (I love United States of Tara so much). I like her in Connie and Carla a LOT. I don't know how more people aren't obsessed with her.

JustJo 03-14-2011 11:19 AM

This might not be what you were looking for....but, for me, this one is what it's all about....

foxyshaman 03-14-2011 11:35 AM

Bound - fanning self -

Gina Gershon and Jennifer Tilly . I would watch Jennifer watching paint dry. Yum. Still one of my all time favorite movies.

There is a great documentary called "The Celluloid Closet", interesting to see how the gay/lesbain world has been portrayed in movies throughout movie history.

Gemme 03-14-2011 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by betenoire (Post 300868)

Quote:

Originally Posted by betenoire (Post 300875)
I hated this movie:

I love, love, LOVED But I'm a Cheerleader. Go Fish was okay. Slow, but okay.

I haven't seen Boys Don't Cry. I've made active choices not to. It's just one of those movies that I know what happened and that's enough. I don't need to see it played out.

I got angry and sad with Southern Comfort. Such a stupid system we live in.

I absolutely LOVED If These Walls Could Talk 2 but couldn't find a trailer so there is a clip from each time frame
:

uncommondialogue 02-20-2013 05:01 PM

Loving Annabelle

Loving Annabelle is a good movie. Some hot love scenes in it, too

maryam 02-21-2013 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Queerasfck (Post 300976)
My favorite is "The incredible True Adventures of Two Girls in Love." I can't believe it hasn't been mentioned yet. True, it's light weight fun most of the time.

Great writing, and I love that a true hard core butch relative Randy Dean lives with. Representin'

I think it's really important to plug the fluffy stuff too! Because so much of "our" theater is still so incredibly grim. Every movie mentioned above that I've seen (I haven't seen all of them, mind you) has got these incredibly moving and "important" themes, scenes and stuff. It almost seems like every LGBTQ movie has to have a deeper, meaningful part that Must Be There Or Else. I seriously think it's a hold over from the gay and lesbian pulp fiction era, where the only way to get your book published was if it didn't have a happy ending. I will wrack my brain and try to remember the source for that bit, but, it's been about 20 years since I took the class where we covered it. But basically, from what I remember, the reason that these novels didn't get a happy ending is because they couldn't actively promote an "an unhealthy" or "sick" relationship. If the lesbians fell in love, they had to lose their love in the end. Via murder, suicide or sanitarium or whatever. It's kind of ironic that pulp fiction is one of the places where the BF dynamic appears regularly.

So that's why I think we have so many heavily emotional lesbian movies and television. And it's really quite sad. I think movies like "Boys Don't Cry" and such are a good thing to have around, but I'd love to see a good, BF or lesbian RomCom someday. Bring on the fluff! Loving women doesn't make us tragic, and it's time that media started to understand that as well.

Sorry if I'm not making sense tonight. I'm pretty tired so I'm probably falling into bed soon and I'll come back in the morning and be all "dude, what was I trying to say here?"

MarquisdeShey 02-21-2013 02:55 AM

I love love this movie.

http://www.bing.com/th?id=A91N2kri8g...h=150&pid=13.1

Not a movie, but a lovely (short) series

http://ts3.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.46044...h=148&c=7&rs=1

This is also beautiful

http://ts2.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.47557...h=155&c=7&rs=1

Oh, wait... one more *S

http://ts4.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.48825...h=129&c=7&rs=1

And I knew I was a lesbian when...

http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.49158...h=155&c=7&rs=1

Oh...I know... I will shut up... Last last one *S

http://ts3.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.49106...h=153&c=7&rs=1

alexri 02-21-2013 04:15 AM

Want to see but I have not seen yet.

I grew up with Go Fish. I remember when Go Fish, Desert Hearts, etc. was all we had for a while. I worked at a Blockbuster Video and there was a knowing look, a smile and a nod whenever I rang up anyone with these movies.

Another one that overall is funny, but I have mixed feelings about the ending for the lead character.

To help find movies, here is the YouTube movie trailer thread for Wolfe Video, a major distributor for LGBT films: https://www.youtube.com/user/WolfeVideo/videos?view=0

GretaGable 06-01-2013 04:36 PM

Some of my faves:

1. Desert Hearts--I think it's just one of the most beautiful love stories ever made. I showed it to an ex-girlfriend and she thought it was very sexy--and she royally cracked up when Vivian said, "I'm not taking my bathrobe off." (Yeah, we all know how long that lasted)

2. Saving Face--Adorable story of Asian lesbians.

3. But I'm a Cheerleader--Adorable and wryly humorous at the same time. True story: In college I worked at a video store that rented this title; a lady brought it back demanding a refund because, in her words, "I thought it was about cheerleading, not lesbians!"

4. Cynara--A lot of lesbians hate this, but I love Victorian films and culture and I loved the words and imagery presented in this very unique film.

5. When Night is Falling--Beautiful, sexy and very arty.

One I hated:

1. The Killing of Sister George: This perpetually drunk older actress loses her job on a TV show, as well as her hot but really cray cray girlfriend, who carries a doll around with her and talks to it a lot. Yeah, I've heard that this film was one of the earliest depictions of lesbian life; but groundbreaking doesn't equal remotely enjoyable. It gave me nightmares, I hated it.

GretaGable 06-01-2013 04:56 PM

Susan

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamkeri1 (Post 300924)
Oh Hell to the yes is soo right, but I get Susan Sarandon!!! She cannot possible be un-hot. I have seen her in roles that played by others would have been gross ... but by her, the are Hot hot hot. mmm mmm mmm

Now give me that fan!!! (Oh! Sorry - forgot to say "please.") :drool:
Smooches,
Keri

Such an amazing, sexy woman. When I watched Bull Durham I wanted to see her hook up with her young female protégé--I loved it when she told her, "We all deserve to wear white." When I watched Thelma and Louise I wanted her to hook up with Geena Davis. When I watched Stepmom I wanted her to hook up with Julia Roberts, OK, just kidding on the last one.:)

MsBluem 06-20-2013 08:20 PM

But I'm a Cheerleader is a perennial favorite for me.

I also really enjoy Better than Chocolate. Haven't seen it in years though.

EnderD_503 07-09-2013 05:50 PM

Facing Mirrors is one of the most intense films I've ever seen and I definitely recommend it. It's the story of an Iranian transguy, his friendship with a female taxi driver and his struggle with family.

Oh! and this year at Inside Out we saw this Lesbian Shorts thing that had a sports theme. All the short films in it were good, but there was this great one called Aquaporko that was about a queer fat femme synchronised swimming group from Australia. It was a lot of fun and really cool, and would definitely recommend if it tours a queer film festival near you.
"Aquaporko! is the story of Melbourne's fat femme synchronized swim team who are sculling, egg-beating and high-kicking toward their first-ever live performance. Filmmaker and fat activist Kelli Jean Drinkwater follows the team and uncovers a world of sisterhood, queer community and radical body politics."
http://www.insideout.ca/torontofesti...rts-body-break

gotoseagrl 12-31-2014 10:42 PM

Cloudburst

http://i59.tinypic.com/6fr0vt.jpg