Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Fluffy Stuff: Flirting, Humor, Chat (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   What are you reading? (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1589)

daisygrrl 12-04-2009 11:14 AM

Whatcha Reading?

Us bibliophiles want to know: what are you reading, plan to read, or didn't enjoy reading?

Here's a place to gab about literature (all kinds), share reading lists, and reviews.
:glasses:

Looking forward to your posts!

Apocalipstic 12-04-2009 11:22 AM

I just finished Profiles in Folly, History's Worst Decisions and Why They Went Wrong by Alan Axelrod

I love history, so I enjoyed it. A light look at a bunch of big messes.

I am off to the library this weekend to find something new.

violaine 12-04-2009 11:26 AM

thank you ;)

how did i get here - chapter 1

".. i'm sure i was sociable. days were nearly always spent kicking balls, exploring the woods, digging in soil, and sometimes eating it, roaming the hills and in each other's houses..." - keith

i am reading asperger syndrome- a love story, written by sarah hendricks and keith newton. the couple explain who they are as individuals, chronicle their meeting and first ill-fated relationship, followed by a painful but vital period of separation and learning to the final destination of a new, different, more satisfactory relationship together. personal accounts - embracing [humourously a lot of the time] neurodiversity!

:dog:

i'm also still reading jayber crow, a novel by wendell berry. [his work with farm alliance is amazing, by the way]. this book is poetic, philosophical, and the community members/town is imagined- richly so!

:writer:

i hope you are doing well, daisy - whatcha readin' ? :eyebat:

belle
ox

foxyshaman 12-04-2009 11:34 AM

Currently I am reading:

Alchemical Psychology, Old recipes for living in a new world by Thom Cavalli;

The Fisher king and the Handless Maiden; understanding The wounded feeling Function in the Masculine and Feminine in Psychology; by Robert Johnson

And I am currently researching Nyx, The Goddess Night. I am preparing to tell a story to my drumming circle. We are honoring the darkness and I thought what a great way to share what the darkness has 'birthed' for us through mythology. She is an amalgamation of other creation myths so old that the only places she is still present is in the oldest of the old written myths.

:thumbsup: Flying my geek colors....

Selenay 12-04-2009 11:41 AM

Aloud
Voices From the Nuyorican Poets Cafe

Excerpt:

IN RESPONSE TO A BROTHER’S QUESTION ABOUT WHAT HE SHOULD DO WHEN HIS BEST FRIEND BEATS UP A WOMAN

. . . and push out the violence be unafraid to be a man who confronts men
about women be unafraid to be a man
who confronts men
big mean ass nasty men
be unafraid to be a man
who confronts
himself.

-Asha Bandele

daisygrrl 12-04-2009 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apocalipstic (Post 16383)
I just finished Profiles in Folly, History's Worst Decisions and Why They Went Wrong by Alan Axelrod

I love history, so I enjoyed it. A light look at a bunch of big messes.

I am off to the library this weekend to find something new.

That sounds like a really cool history-related book that I could 'get into'!

I love libraries--just wandering down the aisles is fun for me :reader:

Quote:

Originally Posted by violaine (Post 16385)
how did i get here - chapter 1

".. i'm sure i was sociable. days were nearly always spent kicking balls, exploring the woods, digging in soil, and sometimes eating it, roaming the hills and in each other's houses..." - keith

i am reading asperger syndrome- a love story, written by sarah hendricks and keith newton. the couple explain who they are as individuals, chronicle their meeting and first ill-fated relationship, followed by a painful but vital period of separation and learning to the final destination of a new, different, more satisfactory relationship together. personal accounts - embracing [humourously a lot of the time] neurodiversity!

:dog:

i'm also still reading jayber crow, a novel by wendell berry. [his work with farm alliance is amazing, by the way]. this book is poetic, philosophical, and the community members/town is imagined- richly so!

:writer:

i hope you are doing well, daisy - whatcha readin' ? :eyebat:

belle
ox

The love story sounds really interesting to me--I'm gonna have to put that on my reading list!

Hugs to you, Ms. Belle! I'm reading...well...pieces of my dissertation for editing at the moment--but I can't wait until I have leisure time to read for fun!

Quote:

Originally Posted by foxyshaman (Post 16389)
Currently I am reading:

Alchemical Psychology, Old recipes for living in a new world by Thom Cavalli;

The Fisher king and the Handless Maiden; understanding The wounded feeling Function in the Masculine and Feminine in Psychology; by Robert Johnson

And I am currently researching Nyx, The Goddess Night. I am preparing to tell a story to my drumming circle. We are honoring the darkness and I thought what a great way to share what the darkness has 'birthed' for us through mythology. She is an amalgamation of other creation myths so old that the only places she is still present is in the oldest of the old written myths.

:thumbsup: Flying my geek colors....

I love love love mythology--your drumming circle is sure to be inspiring!

Geek colors--cool beans! We should have T-shirts--and our own flag!

Thanks everyone, for sharing your love for books (f)

daisygrrl 12-04-2009 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Selenay (Post 16393)
Aloud
Voices From the Nuyorican Poets Cafe

Excerpt:

IN RESPONSE TO A BROTHER’S QUESTION ABOUT WHAT HE SHOULD DO WHEN HIS BEST FRIEND BEATS UP A WOMAN

. . . and push out the violence be unafraid to be a man who confronts men
about women be unafraid to be a man
who confronts men
big mean ass nasty men
be unafraid to be a man
who confronts
himself.

-Asha Bandele

That sounds like a really powerful collection, Selly!

Linus 12-04-2009 11:51 AM

Let's see.. I have a few books on the go:

Stitch 'n Bitch Crochet: The Happy Hooker (planning on learning this so I can make some gifts next year rather than buy -- including, perhaps, a his and hers Fisherman's Sweaters)

A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose (a lot of it seems interestingly and odd Buddhist)

Blown for Good: Behind the Iron Curtain of Scientology (interesting book by one of the former Sea Org members about what Scientology was really like and how he escaped it after a lifetime in it --- over 15 years IIRC).

Windows 7: The Definitive Guide (gotta get brushed up on that because it's related to a course I teach)

daisygrrl 12-04-2009 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linus (Post 16401)

Stitch 'n Bitch Crochet: The Happy Hooker (planning on learning this so I can make some gifts next year rather than buy -- including, perhaps, a his and hers Fisherman's Sweaters)

A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose (a lot of it seems interestingly and odd Buddhist)

Blown for Good: Behind the Iron Curtain of Scientology (interesting book by one of the former Sea Org members about what Scientology was really like and how he escaped it after a lifetime in it --- over 15 years IIRC).

Windows 7: The Definitive Guide (gotta get brushed up on that because it's related to a course I teach)

I gotta say that I love the title for that first book!

The book from the former Scientology member sounds intriguing. I've heard Kate Bornstein (:heartbeat:) talk about her experiences in the group--but those are really the only first-hand accounts that I've encountered.

kassykit 12-04-2009 12:59 PM

Lets see for school i'm reading

Builidng Java Programs a back to basics approach by Stuart Reges and Marty Stepp

Visual C# 2008 hot to program by Deitel and Deitel

Oracle 10g SQL - Joan Casteel

Also my stats book which i cant recall the name of right at the momment, it's a online book through Aplia.

For fun it varies by day, but almost anything mercedes Lackey, or elizabeth moon will get me going :)

Dean Thoreau 12-04-2009 03:12 PM

for light reading this week I read...............
Sari Shop Window..by Bantwal great read, good novel....
The Eliminationists by David Neiwert....(quasi political)
The Dangerous World of Butterlies ***** i recommend
The End of Overeating by David Kessler..excellent
Super Freakonomics....fun
Cheap by Ellen rupel Shell.... not bad but she is really out of touch with the world.

not sure what i will read tonigh

dean :flyaway:

Apocalipstic 12-04-2009 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Thoreau (Post 16471)
for light reading this week I read...............
Sari Shop Window..by Bantwal great read, good novel....
The Eliminationists by David Neiwert....(quasi political)
The Dangerous World of Butterlies ***** i recommend
The End of Overeating by David Kessler..excellent
Super Freakonomics....fun
Cheap by Ellen rupel Shell.... not bad but she is really out of touch with the world.

not sure what i will read tonigh

dean :flyaway:

I really enjoy the Freakonomics books, fun indeed!

Rufusboi 12-04-2009 04:13 PM

Original Sin by PD James.

Inuus 12-04-2009 05:57 PM

Soul Of A Dog by Jon Katz
Most recent book in a series about his life in upstate NY on his farm. Ive read a few in the series and really like them. Quick read, great stories and antics about his animals. Light reading would recommend it

daisygrrl 12-04-2009 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inuus (Post 16512)
Soul Of A Dog by Jon Katz
Most recent book in a series about his life in upstate NY on his farm. Ive read a few in the series and really like them. Quick read, great stories and antics about his animals. Light reading would recommend it

That sounds like a great book! You may also enjoy When Elephants Weep: The Emotional Lives of Animals by Jeffrey Moussaieff Masson and Susan McCarthy :elefant:

Kassy, Dean, & Rufus--those are great lists! I looked at reviews on them and put several on my reading list! :reader:

Dean Thoreau 12-04-2009 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apocalipstic (Post 16477)
I really enjoy the Freakonomics books, fun indeed!

it is also one of the few economic books my kids will read and enjoy as well...
i have a tendency to quote form them frequently when talking with my elementary students they make economic principles and concepts easy to understand....
tho my favorite book to quote from at school is "Lies my teacher taught me"

hottprof 12-04-2009 07:19 PM

The Dark Tower Series : Drawing of Three (ie book 2). Stephen King

On the Edge: The United States in the Twentieth Century - Horowitz and Carroll (for the class I am teaching this spring)

The Lyrics to "We didn't Start the Fire" BIlly Joel (also a teaching tool)

Smiles :frog:

daisygrrl 12-04-2009 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hottprof (Post 16544)
On the Edge: The United States in the Twentieth Century - Horowitz and Carroll (for the class I am teaching this spring)

The Lyrics to "We didn't Start the Fire" BIlly Joel (also a teaching tool)

Smiles :frog:

Dear prof--I wish that I was in that class (how cool!) :hangloose:

MsDemeanor 12-04-2009 07:47 PM

Book of the Dead by Patricia Cornwell

Plum Spooky by Janet Evanovich

The Family by Jeff Sharlet

And a bunch of silversmithing and jewelry making books and magazines

Inuus 12-07-2009 08:03 PM

Animal Magnetism by Rita Mae Brown

I just started it today and its really good for those that love animals. Its basically about all the animals she has had or been involved with over her lifetime with cute stories about each. She is involved in fox hunting as a sport(they dont kill the fox) so alot of stories about horses and dogs...light reading would recommend it

TheSqueeze 12-07-2009 08:17 PM

The Girl Who Played with Fire by Steig Larson

daisygrrl 12-08-2009 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSqueeze (Post 17896)

I'd never heard of this series--it [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Girl-Who-Played-Fire/dp/0307269981/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1260279238&sr=8-1"]looks [/ame]really cool (I added it to my amazon wish list :cheer:). Thank you for sharing!

turasultana 12-08-2009 08:12 AM

In the last 5 weeks or so I blew through the 9 books of the Sookie Stackhouse series (southern vampire). yes, that's how much I miss True Blood. dammit. No 10th book till May 2010, no 3rd season until June 2010.

Someone is trying to make me read twilight, but i just can't do it. Vampires don't sparkle! ugh. (and I'm not 14 :>).

daisygrrl 12-08-2009 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turasultana (Post 18174)
In the last 5 weeks or so I blew through the 9 books of the Sookie Stackhouse series (southern vampire). yes, that's how much I miss True Blood. dammit. No 10th book till May 2010, no 3rd season until June 2010.

Someone is trying to make me read twilight, but i just can't do it. Vampires don't sparkle! ugh. (and I'm not 14 :>).

OOooh, I haven't heard of these Stackhouse books, either... And, I must admit that I really like Vamps (and southern vamps= :drool:).

I did enjoy reading Twilight (and have seen the film a few times :cool:); however, I can't seem to 'get-into' the 2nd book... The vampires sparkling...yeah, that is kinda funny--maybe it's a subconscious marketing ploy for glitter :giggle:

christie 12-08-2009 04:04 PM

The Scarpetta Factor - Patricia Cornwell

My Life in France - Julia Child

Little Big Life - Dean Koontz

I just finished Santa Olivia by Jacqueline Carey and am heading to BAM to see if they have the rest of the Kushiel series I haven't yet read.:awww:

Apocalipstic 12-08-2009 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turasultana (Post 18174)

I love love love the Stackhouse books and also blew through them all recently :)

I did read Twilight, but was bored....I like my Vampires wayyy trashier!

turasultana 12-08-2009 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apocalipstic (Post 18350)
I love love love the Stackhouse books and also blew through them all recently :)

I did read Twilight, but was bored....I like my Vampires wayyy trashier!

Exactly smart ass sassy vampires. Pam and Eric are awesome. AND actual sex for gods sake!

Darth Denkay 12-12-2009 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by christie0918 (Post 18346)
The Scarpetta Factor - Patricia Cornwell

Hey Christie, let me know what you think. I've read all of her stuff, the last books seem to have been going steadily downward until Scarpetta - I really enjoyed that one. Haven't read Scarpetta Factor - would love your opinion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by daisygrrl (Post 18334)
I did enjoy reading Twilight (and have seen the film a few times :cool:); however, I can't seem to 'get-into' the 2nd book... The vampires sparkling...yeah, that is kinda funny--maybe it's a subconscious marketing ploy for glitter :giggle:

I've read the Twilight series and enjoyed it. The second book was my least favorite. The whole purpose of it is essentially to set up a bunch of stuff for the last 2 books. So if you can get through it I think you'll find the last 2 books really good. Same with the movies for me. I liked Twilight but was fairly bored during New Moon. At least I had Alice to drool over...

daisygrrl 12-12-2009 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WicketWWarrick (Post 20607)

I've read the Twilight series and enjoyed it. The second book was my least favorite. The whole purpose of it is essentially to set up a bunch of stuff for the last 2 books. So if you can get through it I think you'll find the last 2 books really good. Same with the movies for me. I liked Twilight but was fairly bored during New Moon. At least I had Alice to drool over...

Thank you, Wicket, for your input!--I'm glad it wasn't just me (thinking that the 2nd book is a bit difficult to get through). That's a bummer about the film; I was hoping it might motivate me to read the book...

Yes, Alice... :awww:

Yours in fabulosity,
daisy

Mitmo01 12-12-2009 07:21 PM

Dune

and i have a shitton of books that i need to plow through....im so stuck on the Dune series after i read the 3 prequels that were written by Frank Herberts son...im a non fiction reader but now im on a kick where im enjoying some fiction again

next on the nightstand is a book called....

The Eagle and The Raven by Pauline Gedge

its about Boudicca and the Romans

Rufusboi 12-12-2009 07:34 PM

Just started some new mind candy.....Deaver's The Twelfth Card...A Lincoln Rhymes novel. If you remember the Bone Collector film, its the same author and character. I've never tried his books before.

Rufus

Linus 12-17-2009 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linus (Post 16401)

I'm still working on the other books but recently finished Blown for Good. Very interesting look into Scientology. I'm not sure how accurate it is but I have this unnerving feeling that it's fairly accurate. And if so, the main organization is a more of a concentration camp -- the image really isn't that far-fetched. For an organization (it's not really a religion in the more common sense) that is about positive thought, it's filled with so much negativity and demeaning behaviour it's unreal how long it's continued without being closed down by the government.

I'd still call it a cult given the behaviour of closing individuals off from families. I went to the site that the author created and checked out a few links. It was interesting that they called it a "cousin of Buddhism". If it is, I'd consider it a distant cousin a few times removed. No Buddhist school of thought I know of tells you to stop associating with others nor tells you that non-believers are "suppressives".

Anyways, if you find it, I'd recommend it as a quick and intense read.

I've started reading Brian Greene's The Elegant Universe so I can be somewhat up-to-speed for the FreeThinkers' thread.

cara 12-17-2009 12:27 AM

I have been reading the same book for the past five months: The Mists of Avalon. I'm on chapter 3 or 4. It's a *great* book I just don't seem to find the time to read like I did when I was younger.

~cara

Waldo 12-17-2009 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSqueeze (Post 17896)

I'm reading his Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and quite enjoying it.

Darth Denkay 12-17-2009 02:21 PM

I totally get this - seems to be the case for me as well. I also think that I read slower than I used to. For so many years I've been in school where I intentionally read things slowly to let it all sink in that now I read slower in general. A bit frustrating but what are you going to do?

Quote:

Originally Posted by cara (Post 22539)
I have been reading the same book for the past five months: The Mists of Avalon. I'm on chapter 3 or 4. It's a *great* book I just don't seem to find the time to read like I did when I was younger.

~cara

hippieflowergirl 12-17-2009 05:39 PM

I've got two books going right now.

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies and Beyond Religion

weatherboi 12-18-2009 12:46 PM

Alice in Quantumland
Started it yesterday...pretty good so far.

JakeTulane 01-01-2010 11:13 AM

I just finished "The Art of Racing in the Rain" by Garth Stein. Absolutely recommend it. I have now ordered his other novel "How Evan Broke His Head and other Secrets.".... The author also has another novel coming out in March of 2010 which I will surely purchase as well.

I have now vowed to get through the Lord of the Rings books and all of the Harry Potter's. I have seen all the films and loved them. So now I am starting The Hobbit and Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.

WILDCAT 01-01-2010 01:31 PM

Help, help, help... please?

A trivia sort of question:

My mother reads about ten books a week and has for as long as I can remember. She recently gave me this book to look up "who they meant"... as the author - and I did try "search", but I could not get the answer she was looking for. They did mention that this author is the pseudonym of a bestselling novelist, but not who it was/IS.

(And NO... obviously it's not Patrick Buchanan the politically extreme talking show guy who has written books. Patrick Buchanan is the "fake name" here. That came up on search all over the place, why I mention it! LOL.)

OK, book here - which to me has little significance to my mother personally, except she was curious then... A Murder of Crows. (It's old from the 70's I think - like just came up as part of a book-swap for the girls at the bridge club there in town.)

Inside of jacket, here is the "note on the author":

PATRICK BUCHANAN is the pseudonym of a bestselling novelist and prize-winning movie-maker whose books have been read by hundreds of thousands in America and translated into many languages around the world. His face is as familiar to TV viewers as this real name is to readers. He unwinds by collaborating with a globe-trotting friend on suspense and mystery (here's my mother's JONES in reading!) fiction set in unusual locales. A Murder of Crows will soon be followed by an equally exciting sequel.
___

Now, if ANYONE knows who this is - so that I can call my Mom and let her know it would made her "New Year's Day". Trust me. She forgot that she asked me about this over a month ago - and my father was sick yesterday and I need to call back there again to see how he is doing now. (And he keeps getting better, please do not worry...)

So, let me know, if anyone is up to the challenge, or just knows this period - who IS this well known person using this other name in writing here? (Remember, this book is from ... l970 copyright, and then 1972 Pyramid publishing.)

Thank YOU!!! Appreciate any help...

*Happy New Year all!!!

WILDCAT

Linus 01-01-2010 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WILDCAT (Post 29203)
A trivia sort of question:

My mother reads about ten books a week and has for as long as I can remember. She recently gave me this book to look up "who they meant"... as the author - and I did try "search", but I could not get the answer she was looking for. They did mention that this author is the pseudonym of a bestselling novelist, but not who it was/IS.

(And NO... obviously it's not Patrick Buchanan the politically extreme talking show guy who has written books. Patrick Buchanan is the "fake name" here. That came up on search all over the place, why I mention it! LOL.)

OK, book here - which to me has little significance to my mother personally, except she was curious then... A Murder of Crows. (It's old from the 70's I think - like just came up as part of a book-swap for the girls at the bridge club there in town.)

Inside of jacket, here is the "note on the author":

PATRICK BUCHANAN is the pseudonym of a bestselling novelist and prize-winning movie-maker whose books have been read by hundreds of thousands in America and translated into many languages around the world. His face is as familiar to TV viewers as this real name is to readers. He unwinds by collaborating with a globe-trotting friend on suspense and mystery (here's my mother's JONES in reading!) fiction set in unusual locales. A Murder of Crows will soon be followed by an equally exciting sequel.
___

Now, if ANYONE knows who this is - so that I can call my Mom and let her know it would made her "New Year's Day". Trust me. She forgot that she asked me about this over a month ago - and my father was sick yesterday and I need to call back there again to see how he is doing now. (And he keeps getting better, please do not worry...)

So, let me know, if anyone is up to the challenge, or just knows this period - who IS this well known person using this other name in writing here? (Remember, this book is from ... l970 copyright, and then 1972 Pyramid publishing.)

Thank YOU!!! Appreciate any help...

*Happy New Year all!!!

WILDCAT

http://edwincorley.com/