Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Fluffy Stuff: Flirting, Humor, Chat (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Commute (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8615)

Runner 05-18-2018 01:16 PM

Commute

Hey all

I'm considering a move from the city (Dublin, not sure that's relevant but I'll tell you anyway). The new place is a bit more rural so quieter, so much cheaper and great living space. The only potential downside is the commute to work. At the moment I'm spoiled, I can leave the car at home and walk to the office in about 20mins. From the new location probably looking at about an hour each way driving.

Just wondering how long is your commute? Do you walk/drive/cycle/use public transport?

How important a consideration is it for you?

At the moment I'm thinking this is fine, however I have been known to be compulsive making decisions and I don't want wake up day one after move thinking WTF have I done :|

Thanks all for any experiences you may be willing to share.

*Anya* 05-18-2018 01:43 PM

Cheaper is always wonderful but it has to be weighed with all of the possible commute factors, because it can wind up not being wonderful at all.

The first house I bought was an hour from my job. I thought, OK, this is bearable.

By the 5th year, it was taking 1.5 hours each way. (LA/OC area and very relevant). On a rainy day, it was 2 hours each way. I don't know how Dublin traffic is, but here it is atrocious.

If you find that you can't enjoy your life because the commute is so long, it may not be worth it. I got a job closer to my house, leaving a position I really liked.

You have to factor everything into the equation. I overlooked a few things in my enthusiasm to be able to get my first house.

In my current area, a 20 minute commute can turn into an easy hour (or longer). If one car slows down to look at a car on the side of the freeway-forget about it. Bumper cars.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runner (Post 1210957)
Hey all

I'm considering a move from the city (Dublin, not sure that's relevant but I'll tell you anyway). The new place is a bit more rural so quieter, so much cheaper and great living space. The only potential downside is the commute to work. At the moment I'm spoiled, I can leave the car at home and walk to the office in about 20mins. From the new location probably looking at about an hour each way driving.

Just wondering how long is your commute? Do you walk/drive/cycle/use public transport?

How important a consideration is it for you?

At the moment I'm thinking this is fine, however I have been known to be compulsive making decisions and I don't want wake up day one after move thinking WTF have I done :|

Thanks all for any experiences you may be willing to share.

Femmewench 05-18-2018 03:21 PM

One of the things I always considered when looking for a place to live (rentals) was how long it would take me to get to work. Thirty minutes was my preferred maximum. You're considering losing 1 hour and 20 minutes per day (on a good day) to a commute to save some money. What is your time worth? Factor in the extra petrol as well.

Also, how far away is your social network if you move? Staying in the city after work to socialize and then driving home an hour would also be problematic for me.

<--hoping it's called petrol in Ireland as well as England.

TL1 05-18-2018 04:21 PM

My commute is 45 minutes to an hour. Occasionally a lot longer if there’s an accident or some slow person backing everyone up.
I agree with what’s been said so far.
You have to weigh everything. It’s true you feel like you don’t have much free time when it takes so long to get home from work. And here it seems like traffic gets worse every year that passes.

But also you should be happy with where you live. If living in the area that’s close to work sucks and you would be happier in another area yeah I’d take the commute. If you like your area and are happy where you are then for me I’d rather be close to work.

Chad 05-18-2018 04:57 PM

Commute

My commute to work in the city is 1.5 hours each way. Sometimes it is even longer if the traffic is bad or if there is an accident. My work day with my commute is 12 hours and even longer if I work late.

I do not recommend it because it is exhausting and reduces time with loved ones and leasure.