Butch Femme Planet

Butch Femme Planet (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada Forums (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   Victoria, British Columbia (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6258)

jules5041 02-01-2013 10:51 AM

Victoria, British Columbia

Hi!

I am thrilled to be going to Victoria, British Columbia in May 2013. I was wondering if anyone on the site was either from there or had been there. I look forward to hearing from you!!!

Jules

Soon 02-01-2013 11:23 AM

Victoria is one of my favourite places in the world. Spent a lot of time there one year when I was dating someone who lived in Vancouver. It is a great city. Hope you get to meet up with some folks! Enjoy!

Hollylane 02-01-2013 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jules5041 (Post 741465)
Hi!

I am thrilled to be going to Victoria, British Columbia in May 2013. I was wondering if anyone on the site was either from there or had been there. I look forward to hearing from you!!!

Jules

I've been wanting to head up that way for a long time, I visited there about 15 years ago, and absolutely loved it, but I haven't been interested in traveling alone. Are you traveling for business or fun? I might be interested in meeting up with a fellow femme. Just a thought I had when I saw your post. :)

ruby_woo 02-01-2013 11:59 AM

I live in Vancouver and I've been to Victoria before, although it's been a few years since I visited. We had tea at the Fairmont Empress hotel- a little pricey, but really fun. I highly recommend that if you can swing it. :) I also visited the Emily Carr, mostly because I was told it was haunted, but then they wouldn't let me in the haunted room. :(

There's a decent sized mall right downtown as well, if you want to do some shopping. I don't know what size you are, but if you're a 14/16 or under, there's a cute little store called Plum. They're a small local chain, and they do most of their clothing design and development here in British Columbia.

You'll have fun! Just be sure to bring an umbrella. :)

laruss 02-01-2013 12:00 PM

I've been there numerous times, I was going to move there but decided the island was too far from my Grandbabies.

Butchart Gardens is one of my favourite places to visit and it will be beautiful in May. Also Fan Tan Alley in China town, it reminds me of that alley in the Harry Potter movies. You sneak between some buildings and it opens up to a bunch of cute shops.

There is so much to see and do there. It is just a gorgeous location to visit.

http://www.tourismvictoria.com

canadianmusician 04-06-2013 01:30 PM

I live in Vancouver but have been to Victoria. Absolutely beautiful! And I love the ferry ride in between! It's gorgeous....you'll be quite close to the Gulf Islands, which are amazing.

Scuba 04-06-2013 01:32 PM

Made a visit to Victoria last fall and loved, loved, LOVED it!! Hope to go back soon :)

imperfect_cupcake 04-06-2013 02:14 PM

Lived there for 3 years. Lovely place to visit. especially sooke pot holes, up the road a ways.

Gonzales Beach is a locals' beach in Fairfield/Gonzales area and it really, really nice. It's by the dallas road grave yard, which is also very pretty. Crescent road.

Look up Gonzales beach on Google Maps and go there for a few hours one afternoon. It's very chilled out with very few to no tourists as it's usually just the locals. I lived 3 blocks from it and loved it.

Also check out Light house park and the burial cairns all over.

I went to UVic there and did anthropology. It's a beautiful place.

The two gay clubs are Paparazzi, which used to be called BJ's when I lived there, and The Ledge in the Bedford Regency Hotel. I have no idea what that one is like but I've heard it's good by some mates who live there.

If you have never had a cream tea, victoria has many places to get one (it's a set lunch of little treats and tea). If you want an experience, go for the one at the Emperess Hotel in the inner harbour.

Also just round the corner from the inner harbour, is the house boat community which is fun to stroll through. By Laural Point Park.

Have fun!

C0LLETTE 04-15-2014 10:03 AM

I am heading out to Victoria BC, alone with my pup, by car, from Ottawa in mid June. I'm going out on a house-hunting and like-minded- community search. My intention is to buy a condo or house and move out there.

I'm coming round to the idea that Victoria is where I want to live however my biggest obstacle is that don't actually know anyone out there .

If anyone on BFP is from there, currently living there, or has contacts there, I'd very much like to hear from them. I'll happily return pvt messages with my contact info.

imperfect_cupcake 04-15-2014 12:43 PM

Hey collette, I've lived there and went to University there. I do strongly suggest, because it is a very tight community in the dykey sense, with a very particular world view, that you spend as long as you can getting to know the community there where you are vacationing before making up your mind. It will be highly suitable for some folks, and really, really not livable for others.

I'm just headed into my exams but willing to tell you what I know :)

C0LLETTE 04-15-2014 09:07 PM

Thanks HB. Whenever you're free, I would love to hear all about it; either here or through private.

Torchsong3 05-25-2014 12:29 PM

Are there bars in Victoria where a femme might find available butches?

...or any meeting places? I will be in Vic May 30th for a week visiting my son.

imperfect_cupcake 05-25-2014 12:55 PM

Victoria is small and there is one gay venue. There was two, very briefly, but one closed last year. Paparazzi is the only one that I know of, unless a now one has opened.

http://www.paparazzinightclub.com/

I don't know about picking up butches in it though. You will likely have more luck arranging a meet in advance with a butch in victoria via POF. Keep in mind many of the them don't call themselves butches in the ads. Or in person. The term here that people use instead of butch is Genderqueer. There are less "rules" to it, so many have opted out to the term. Most of the dates that I've been on, they don't talk about IDing as butch. It isn't really a topic of conversation, but they will, if pressed. I do note it causes people some stress. It's best to be blunt about what you like (strap ons, masculinity for example) than to use a term. In my experience.

But go on POF, make a quick, two paragraph profile about visiting victoria, set your local as victoria, and scan to see if you like anyone and send a message. it's much easier to meet people off there if you say hi, love your profile, I'm visiting soon, etc first, I find.

Or, you can try the night club. :)
Not sure if there with be butches in the fri or sat night you go or how old they will be or if they are taken, but there might be a chance.

stepfordfemme 05-25-2014 02:15 PM

Relaying a message....:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torchsong3 (Post 911611)
...or any meeting places? I will be in Vic May 30th for a week visiting my son.

My butch lived in Victoria until last year so here's the scoop :)

The only really gay friendly bar is paparazzi as HB has said. Ledge is closed.

Hush is gay friendly but it's a dance club with loud house/dance music.

Good luck :)